September 2018 Moms
Options

Announcing on Social Media

Re: Announcing on Social Media

• Options
    We announced to family super early but usually wait until pretty close to 12 weeks for an announcement on social media and will do the same with this one.

For our second we announced with a picture of my first in a super hero cape and chalk board behind him that had "Every super hero needs a side kick" written on it. I'm still trying to think of something creative for this one! 
  • Options
    Is it stupid that I’m worrying about announcing at week 12 vs 14? Since technically you’re out of the first trimester at/after 14 weeks? I think I’m just creating things to worry about. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @embri12 not stupid at all.. Just do it when you feel comfortable telling.. Some of my friends never put it on social media.. I plan on telling at 11 1/2 weeks, Valentine's Day. 
    Me: 33 DH: 31 Baby: 9/2/2018 BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    embri12 said:
    Is it stupid that I’m worrying about announcing at week 12 vs 14? Since technically you’re out of the first trimester at/after 14 weeks? I think I’m just creating things to worry about. 

I've had friends and family announce anywhere from 6 weeks to 20 weeks. With a few who didn't announce until a couple of days after the baby was born. It's all about you and your comfort level. 
  • Options
    @srachilagani I want to announce on Easter which is April fools this year. But I don't want everyone to think it's a joke (and seem insensitive to friends who have suffered losses) so I'm a bit torn on the idea.
  • Options
    @prpl11butterfly I was also thinking Easter until I realized it was April Fool's.  I think anyone that knows me would know I'm not into April Fools enough to do something like that, but I'm still torn.
  • Options
    @nackie same with me. Its not my thing either 

@SkilledSailor Saturday is a good option, we may do that (providing DH can contain his excitement enough).
  • Options
    ashh2018ashh2018 member
    edited February 2018
    I still haven't decided when or how to announce. We told family after 8 week appointment, and I ended up telling my boss and team last week (10 weeks) bc I couldn't put that off any longer. I originally had all these clever, Pinterest-y ideas for social media (many funny and involving our cats). I'm very active on social media, especially since I live far from family and most friends, so I felt like my announcement had to be like, the most clever, creative thing the world had ever seen. Now I'm thinking I just want to wait as long as possible and post a simple picture of us in a beautiful place - there's a giant rose garden nearby that will be in bloom soon, maybe there. It's possible that I'm overthinking this lol.
    ETA everyone we've told knows that it is still a "secret".
  • Options
    @yosemite2018 I completely agree.... I remember last year when we were trying so hard to conceive. There were like 4 women on FB that announced their pregnancy at that time... and only 1 actually was. The others were just joking. It hurt me so bad that there are actually people that would make a joke about something that serious. ugh. 
    Me: 33 DH: 31 Baby: 9/2/2018 BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    Announcing a fake pregnancy on April Fool's is like, ...actually insane, to me.  JS
    I feel the same way. Why would anyone do this? It's not funny at all. 
    Me: 34 | DH: 33
    Married Aug. 2013
    TTC #1 Sep. 2016
    ***TW***
    BFP Jan. 15, 2017; MMC Mar. 4, 2017 at 10w6d
    BFP Jun. 5, 2017; MMC Aug. 2, 2017 at 11w6d
    BFP Nov. 20, 2017; ended in CP
    All the tests. Everything normal except treated for ureaplasma and DH potentially has high DNAF.
    BFP Dec. 25, 2017; EDD Sep. 5, 2018; DD arrived Aug. 26th
    My chart: https://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/63f71d

• Options
    @adirat wow, I've never seen any pregnancy announcements like that.  That seems insanely tacky.  Why would someone think anyone wants to know that much about their sex life??

I have a friend whose husband posts a fake pregnancy announcement almost every April 1. Last year I was really tempted to say something, but I decided to let it go.  
  • Options
    @nackie Haha yes, it is SO tacky. This has happened twice with my husband's distant relatives. The first one was when we had just started ttc, and my reaction was "oh my gosh who would post that on facebook?!?!?!" Then the second one was another year later (the goalie one) and it was like a dagger in my heart. 

The April Fools post would bother me, too :( Could you mention to her that it's in poor taste rather than raise it with him?

• Options
    I can't understand why people would post a fake pregnancy either. It's wrong. And to post any details about the how....so uncomfortable. I mean, I'm pretty open and if anyone asked how long it took I would tell them (not publicly on FB though). And the goalie joke, tasteless. 
  • Options
    I don't know if we will even announce on FB, and if we do it will be much later. I am definitely showing already which is insane to me but I haven't even told all my closest friends yet. I have been slowly telling them as I see them but life has been busy and I haven't been as social as I usually am. Our family has known since 8 weeks though!

Pretty much anyone who sees me now asks some type of leading questions to figure out if I am pregnant so I figure eventually I just won't be able to hide it anymore and then we will put it on social media! My first I could have easily hid it the first 4 months +. 

• Options
    That's very thoughtful @CSchoFink!
    Me: 34 | DH: 33
    Married Aug. 2013
    TTC #1 Sep. 2016
    ***TW***
    BFP Jan. 15, 2017; MMC Mar. 4, 2017 at 10w6d
    BFP Jun. 5, 2017; MMC Aug. 2, 2017 at 11w6d
    BFP Nov. 20, 2017; ended in CP
    All the tests. Everything normal except treated for ureaplasma and DH potentially has high DNAF.
    BFP Dec. 25, 2017; EDD Sep. 5, 2018; DD arrived Aug. 26th
    My chart: https://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/63f71d

• Options
    Struggling with how to handle social media. We're fairly active on social media, and I want to announce but because seeing announcements was so hard for me after I had a miscarriage, I struggle with how to best word it to not make anyone else sadder then they already are about their situation. I was not open about the miscarriage with people besides my immediate family and closest friends so of course, I couldn't blame anyone but I definitely want to be sensitive about it for anyone else who might be struggling.

One of my friends posted her announcement and explained how much they had prayed and even mentioned medical intervention, which I loved because it gave me hope since she had finally gotten pregnant. I just don't think I want to be that open with people I'm not so close to when I announce our pregnancy.
  • Options
    Both DD and this one are rainbow babies for me, and social media has no idea. As bittersweet as seeing announcements are, I still enjoy seeing them. It hurts sometimes, but I know it isn’t personal, and each of us has a different journey. The only ones I really struggle with are the early announcements, like “I’m 4.5 week!”.... I just cringe and hope for the best for their sake. And the fake-outs, those drive me nuts. We do have friends we know are actively trying after a loss, and we will talk w them personally before posting on fb. Since we’ve been in their shoes my hope is we can encourage them that their turn will come.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

bfp#1-10/29/12,EDD: 7/3/13. nothing found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 12/10/12. "Bean"

bfp#2-5/10/13! EDD: 1/18/14. "Peanut" Arrived 1/13/14. Diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis

bfp#3- 9/26/14. EDD: 5/7/15. no heartbeat found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 10/23/14. "Little Bug"

**Psalm 139:16**

• Options
    megnwingatemegnwingate member
    edited February 2018
    Most of our family/friends are on SM so that’s really one big way of getting it out of the way without forgetting anyone.

My biggest problem is we do have friends that have had a 2nd Tri loss (whom we are close to) and another who’s adoption fell through (not as close). How would you go about announcing to those who’ve dealt with late losses? I’ve had an early 1st tri loss and while it hurt to see pregnancy announcements, I don’t know how to go about telling our friends. 

BTW not saying 2nd tri losses are worse than 1st tri. All losses hurt. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP#1: 11/15/2010 * Missed M/C 12/28 * D&C 12/29/2010
    BFP#2: 3/31/2011 * IT'S A GIRL! * Born 11/17/2011
    BFP#3 CP 11/15/2014 
    BFP#4 9/3/2015 * Team Green turned PINK * Born 05/16/2016
    BFP#5 12/26/2017 *SURPRISE* Due 09/02/2018
  • Options
    @megnwingate like what wishedilivedinflorida said, I texted one of my best friends who has been TTC for almost 3 years and has also had a MC with IVF to let her know. FWIW, I didn't have many other options with her since she lives across the country from me. But I feel like a text or email is the way to go so they can process on their own timeline. 

Also, as far as social media goes, I think if there's anyone you know has been effected by IF or has had losses, to give them a heads up can be appreciated. But I'm also guessing that everyone knows a lot more people than they realize who has dealt with loss and they can choose to breeze by a post like that if they don't want to see it. 
  • Options
    nlc8424nlc8424 member
    edited February 2018
    @treeofcheem ah ok, I think I misinterpreted your response as well! As someone who has walked on egg shells around my mom my whole life trying not to offend her, I just realize that people can take anything and everything personally and it's sometimes more effort than it's worth to be that careful with what you say. 

ETA words for clarity.
  • Options
    jaylii said:
    Question for everyone: Does anyone have a family member that is an over sharer on social media/doesn't have appropriate boundaries on fb? I'm worried that my ILs, despite us asking for them not to share on social media..."
    My MIL posted on FB before I even told my own parents. Grrrr.... for that reason mainly, i have not been as excited as I thought I would to share an announcement on social media. I'm thinking around 5-6 months and only after we know the sex, I might post something quick. Otherwise I'm just feeling like the announcement will come when the baby has been born lol
  • Options
    maisie122713maisie122713 member
    edited February 2018
    I love the April Fools idea... I wasn't planning on doing anything special to announce on social media but I might have to steal that one! Edit: I didn't read the other comments regarding possibly offending someone whose had a loss. I didn't think about that before and that's a good point to consider when deciding whether to post it April Fools. I agree that actual April Fools pregnancy jokes are stupid. Part of me wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings by announcing that day and making a joke about it, but another part of me also feels like the important people in my life already know I'm pregnant, including a relative who had a 2nd trimester loss, so who cares if someone I haven't spoken to in years doesn't like it??