Breastfeeding
Options

Breastfeeding newborn help

If a newborn only empties one side and is not interested in the 2nd side when offered what do you do? Do you pump the full side to empty it? Or just leave it full and offer that second side first the next time? If left full can that lead to a clogged duct or mastitis? Thanks in advance 

Re: Breastfeeding newborn help

• Options
    If a newborn only empties one side and is not interested in the 2nd side when offered what do you do? Do you pump the full side to empty it? Or just leave it full and offer that second side first the next time? If left full can that lead to a clogged duct or mastitis? Thanks in advance 
    How old is your baby? I would offer the second breast and if they are not interested start with that one next time. If you are trying to build a freezer stash, that’s a good opportunity to pump. If after not pumping/feeding you feel engorged you can pump or nurse just enough to be comfortable. Engorgement can sometimes lead to clogged ducts or mastitis, but not always.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    @meggyme thank you! My baby is due any day now! Upon my breastfeeding research I came across conflicting information and got confused about this scenario. I'm not even going to think about trying to build a stash yet! Just gathering enough information to get started and hopefully through the first couple weeks!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I did your second option. I just left it full and started on that side next time. If you're frequently feeling too full on one side, pop her off part way through the feed and switch before she gets full off of one side. My daughter rarely emptied both sides. Even now older, she never nurses on both sides. I had huge issues breastfeeding the first couple months, but never clogged ducts or mastitis even with my breasts never really being empty. Your supply will eventually regulate.

I wouldn't pump more than just the tiniest bit to ease discomfort unless you actually want to build up a supply and are willing to continue pumping. Assuming you're not doing that, you're just going to make it harder for your supply to regulate and for your body to adjust so that you're not frequently engorged on one side because removing that milk is telling your body to make even more.