Infertility
Options

IVF vs. ICSI

I talked to my clinic today, and my DR and I, in the past, had discussed the PGD testing, as I am older and we'd love a boy.  In talking with the clinic today, they require ICSI if you're doing the PGD testing.  My question is, is ICSI worth the additional $5000?  Has anyone done IVF then ICSI or just in general had better luck with it?  Part of me feels that if the IVF doesn't work the first time, that $5000 would really help an additional cycle.  Any thoughts?

Re: IVF vs. ICSI

• Options
    ICSI is done frequently to deal with MFI and I think in theory it has better fertilization rates because they’re injecting the sperm directly into the egg. $5000 seems very steep, though. I think ICSI for us is maybe $1500-$2500 extra and that’s in NYC, where I expect costs for everything to be wildly out of control. If you have any indication of MFI, I’d do it regardless of PGD testing. But if you don’t, I suppose it comes down to how badly you want to do the testing.
  • Options
    Hm..I think with PGD it will up your changes because instead of just giving you the grade of the embryo it's checking chromosomes/disorders etc. Or at least that is how I understood it which is why we are doing it. We are paying 3500 for PGD/icsi because of course that isn't covered just an extra cost. 

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    libellula28 did you mean 5K for PGD/PGS plus icsi? I did PICSI (which is icsi with sperm selected after binding to a special protein) and that was only an extra 1K (and my place is hella expensive...NYC also). ICSI alone shouldnt be 5K... I'd call the financial coordinator and get a price list....

• Options
    I think ICSI was only $2000-2500 more at the clinic we're going to, which I think is one of the more expensive clinics. Did the $5k you were quoted include ICSI and PGS/PGD testing? We don't have MFI but want the chromosome screening so we are doing ICSI for that plus it increases fertilization rates. 

Good luck deciding! 
    *TW*
    Me:35 DH:35
    Dx: PCOS
    DS1 born 11/2014
    DS2 born 11/2018
    3 previous losses
    Rainbow baby due 12/2021 - Team Green

• Options
    I agree with the rest. This sounds like the PGS cost. 
    TTC history in spoiler box:
    Me: 42, single
    Hysteroscopy: 2013
    IUI #1-2: 2013 BFN
    Surgery 10/2015: Planned to start trying again but had a surgery. (Not related to fertility)
    Surgery 5/2016: Planned to start trying again but had another surgery. (Not related to fertility)
    IUI  #3-5 (with Clomid): summer 2016 BFN
    IVF #1: 11/2016. 30R; 21M; 20F; 8B (6 day5 & 2 day6); 4 normal after PGS
    Medicated FET #1: 1/31/2017 transferred 1 embryo 3AA. BFP. Embryo stopped growing at 6w 1d. MUA at 9w 3d.
    Medicated FET #2June 2017 - cancelled...
    Hysteroscopy #2: June 2017
    Medicated FET #2: 8/7/2017 transferred 1 embryo 5BB. BFP. Ended in CP.
    Medicated FET #3: 10/11/2017 transferred 1 embryo 3AA. BFN
    ERA: December 2017 - need an extra 12 hours of PIO
    Medicated FET #4: 1/24/2018 transferred 1 embryo 4AA. BFN
    Out of embryos.  :'(
    IVF #2: 03/2018.

• Options
    Our clinic does ICSI standard for all IVF. I’m not sure if there’s a separate “cost” associated with it, or if it’s just built into the cycle cost. 
  • Options
    The ICSI is $1961 per cycle with the added $2646 for PGD/PGS with an additional $350 per embryo per cycle.  I suppose for the better odds it's worth it, but my goodness it all just adds up so fast!!

Gosh, maybe I need to look into clinics in other states. 
  • Options
    I feel like the price of the PGS/PGD isnt bad... the icsi seems overpriced and im guessing the 350 per embryo is either for the embryo biopsy or for per embryo in excess of say, 5???? if its an added biopsy fee, that sux (ive seen it at certain clinics) if its for extra embies, i think i was quoted something like 200-250 per embie
  • Options
    If your RE is recommending PGS/PGD because of your age, I’d do it. That total cost is cheaper than my clinic.
  • Options
    Our ICSI was included in our IVF price. Our PGS testing was roughly $2000. That was for eight embryos in 9 months. I believe it was $350 per extra embryo in those 9 months. We had five but two can back as inconclusive. We are retesting those but didn’t have to pay since it’s still 8 in 9. 
  • Options
    Thank you all so much!!!