July 2018 Moms
Options

GTKY: Valentines edition

We haven't had one in awhile.

What was your favorite Valentines memory?
Favorite gift/experience you planned or gave?
Favorite gift/date you were given? 

April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

Re: GTKY: Valentines edition

• Options
    I'm so lame! I literally can't remember any notable Valentines days with my husband, and we've had like 15 of them! We usually just buy some good steaks and eat at home. Beef grosses me out as of late, so maybe some cooked sushi this year :)

My favorite memories are from when I was little. My parents would always have little baskets of treats for us and we were always really excited to wake up to chocolate or little toys. I'm trying to make all holidays super fun for my kid as a result. 
  • Options
    We don’t do anything special. If anything i wait for discounted candy afterwards lol
    My dad always got us something small on his way back home. Usually candy or something silly. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don’t do Valentine’s Day- if I do we go out to eat around that time frame. 

My my high school BF Birthday was Valentine’s Day so I just always refused to celebrate it because it was his day.
  • Options
    Thanks for this @lindsayleigh1989!

First Valentine's Day for DH and I, he planned an entire evening of adventures for us - a storytelling show, dinner, and drinks at a really great place for cocktails.  Set a high bar!  This year, keeping it a little more low-key.  Can't say I've ever done anything really nice for Valentine's Day, though...but I usually plan something fun for us for our anniversary.
  • Options
    After one too many disasters restaurant experiences (too crowded and loud) my hubby and I have made a tradition of cooking and staying in and having a nice dinner by ourselves. He cooks the best steak with a balsamic reduction/blue cheese situation, it’s delicious and we both look forward to it every year. Really the only time we spend a lot of money on steak. my job is dessert- I think this year I am keeping it simple and making chocolate covered Oreos. Because they are delish! We then just relax and enjoy the night!!! 
  • Options
    That sounds amazing, @catftm2018!

We usually stay in and cook at home as well.  My husband usually grills some steaks with garlic butter.  This year I asked him to also do some shrimp and I'll make broccoli as a side.  I should make dessert too - that's a good idea! I've made mini oreo cheesecakes before in muffin wrappers that were pretty yummy and just might hit the spot. 

I don't really have a memorable Valentine's Day!  I did buy DD the Valentine's Day "Get a Mouse a Cookie" book though - she LOVES those books so I'm excited to give it to her.  Maybe I should try to plan a special breakfast for her that day too, but she's not even 2 yet so she doesn't really understand.
  • Options
    Dh and I do not celebrate Valentine's Day. It is just another commercial holiday in our eyes. That being said, when it comes to the littles (nieces and nephews), we do enjoy watching them partake in the crafts and activities for this day. 
    @wildtot I do the same! I go to Target Valentine's Day afternoon and see the prices in candy drop. Don't mind if I do!

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    amdftwamdftw member
    edited February 2018
    DH and I do not really celebrate Valentine's Day anymore, unless my mom offers to babysit the weekend before or after and we go out to dinner.

My favorite Valentine memory though is the same as my favorite gift - for our first Valentine's together, my husband did get me a tanzanite necklace and a stuffed Corgi, with a promise that someday he will get me a real Corgi (which he did, as seen in my user pic).

My favorite gift given was for my DH's 30th birthday... I got us passes to a brewery tour in Portland, ME.  It was a perfect fall day and we had a great time.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    paytonpedropaytonpedro member
    edited February 2018
    My dh is HORRIBLE with Valentine’s Day. I’m happy with a card and maybe some chocolate (this year I really want chocolate cherries and I’ve mentioned it multiple times). He usually doesn’t do anything. Including a card. Then, some years he’s done dinner and a movie. It’s hit or miss, but ultimately I don’t have high expectations. 

My favorite gift I gave him was when I made chocolate covered maple crown candied bacon and chocolate strawberries! It took me so long but I enjoyed doing it and his response was underwhelming. But, I thought it was creative. 

Bah humbug. 

P.s. @lindsayleigh1989 100% LOVE the gif!!! 
  • Options
    I don’t have any valentines days that are super memorable but my mom would always get us books. We’re all big readers so we loved getting books. 

My h and I usually stay in for Valentine’s Day too. My birthday is next week so it’s usually easier to go out for my birthday instead of trying to fight the crowds. Plus I’d rather go out for my birthday anyways. We’ve done lots of cool meals: several shrimp boils, fondue, really nice steak. This year I’m thinking about doing lobster ravioli from a local fresh pasta place. 
  • Options
    I refuse to go out to dinner on Valentine’s Day. We usually do take out and a movie and then go out a different day. We actually went out tonight for hibachi. And he knows better than to get me flowers. I don’t really like them and the cats just eat them but I did hint I would like some chocolate covered strawberries so hopefully that happens. I always get him fun boxers for every holiday lol.  
  • Options
    @Sarafuss I love that! So thoughtful. 

@noideawhatshesdoing so sweet that you send flowers to your nieces. It makes me want to do the same. You must be their favorite aunt. :)

imageimage

• Options
    @moguippy I want chocolate covered strawberries too lol. I’ll probably make them myself though. 
  • Options
    Valentine’s Day is one of the busiest days of the year for DH’s restaurant so we never celebrate on the day. He’ll usually do some corny snack/candy basket and a card on the day of, and maybe use the VDay as an excuse to take a date night later in the week. We’ve got a similar unspoken “you don’t have to get me anything but I’ll me upset if you don’t” agreement lol. 
    I don’t think I’ve ever done anything particularly special for Valentine’s Day. It’s just another Hallmark holiday for me, but I’m all for chocolate. 
  • Options
    I’m about the same as many of you. I don’t really care for Valentine’s Day and don’t do the whole go out for dinner thing as it’s too busy. Buttttt I’m also upset if I don’t atleast get a card or some chocolate! 
  • Options
    My favorite Valentine's day was when I went out with friends to a double feature. There were 8 of us and my friend J snuck a tub of ice cream in and 8 spoons and we passed it up and down the row lol. 

Last year was my first Valentine's day with a significant other and it was meh. Like everyone said, it's a hallmark holiday. 
  • Options
    Valentine's Day was actually our first date. It wasn't on purpose or anything, it just happened. We don't really do much. We go out the weekend before or after sometimes. But in general he hates crowds, so we stay in
  • Options
    @noideawhatshesdoing
    I LOVE the idea of sending a flower to your nieces!! I might have to do that this year.... the little things mean so much sometimes. 
  • Options
    Favorite Valentine's Memory is probably being little and getting sweet little Valentine's Day presents from my mom and dad.  I am doing it with my son now and its so much fun!
    Oh also, when I was in 7th grade the boy that I had a huge crush on brought me flowers to school.  I had no idea that he even liked me or knew who I was, so it was pretty awesome. We ended up "going out" for the rest of middle school, which my dad was not too thrilled about.   :D

My husband and I have never really been huge on Valentines Day.  I usually get some flowers and chocolate covered strawberries, but I honestly wouldn't care if he didn't do anything.  

Meagan
    <3 Married 6.12.10 <3
    DS 11.8.12
     Baby GIRL! due 7.4.18
  • Options
    Also, @lindsayleigh1989, nailed it with the meme
    Meagan
    <3 Married 6.12.10 <3
    DS 11.8.12
     Baby GIRL! due 7.4.18
  • Options
    We don’t do much for valentines either, my fave one was back in high school! DH made me a huge chocolate chip chocolate cake and we went bowling with my best friend. Recently, I love dressing up DS for holidays! 
  • Options
    @krystlerr that is a cute story! Glad it worked out!

I loved making the v-day mailboxes in elementary school and getting all of the mail. So many Valentine’s! Did I go too far back?? My birthday is Feb 8, so usually DH and I just go out to one nice dinner to cover both occasions. I always joke that I get giped on v-day.
  • Options
    I haven't really been a big Valentine's person, but I do love when my husband has my kids make me something (cards, crafts, a picture, whatever).  I think that's my favorite.  My husband and I started dating in January of 2005, so we had a big fancy dinner in an exclusive restaurant for our first Valentine's Day.  I remember specifically how terrible my hair looked that night, but who cares?  That was when I knew I was completely in love with this man <3
    Met: 1/21/2005
    Married: 6/27/2008
    DS: 3/14/2010 Planned, PG first try
    M/C 6/2012
    DD: 4/22/2013 Planned, UnDx Infertility, PG on our own
    BFP: 10/28/2016 Unplanned, HUGE SURPRISE! 
    M/C 12/12/2016
    BFP: 10/27/2017 Unplanned, HUGE SURPRISE
    EDD: 7/2/2018

Babysizer Manly Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @chaser61 I used to love that, too!  
    @stlmegs that's so cute that you remember him bringing you flowers :)
    @julybabymama good luck today!
    @amdftw that's so great!!!  Love Corgis!
    @zg49 I have so much jewelry that represents my kids!  I don't know what I'll do when this little surprise gets here!  Love that necklace.
    Met: 1/21/2005
    Married: 6/27/2008
    DS: 3/14/2010 Planned, PG first try
    M/C 6/2012
    DD: 4/22/2013 Planned, UnDx Infertility, PG on our own
    BFP: 10/28/2016 Unplanned, HUGE SURPRISE! 
    M/C 12/12/2016
    BFP: 10/27/2017 Unplanned, HUGE SURPRISE
    EDD: 7/2/2018

Babysizer Manly Pregnancy Tracker