Summer baby hospital bag — The Bump
July 2018 Moms

Summer baby hospital bag

Any suggestions for an end of July - early August hospital bag for moms and babies? Most likely 90ish degrees here in Ohio.
«1

Re: Summer baby hospital bag

  • Mom - toiletries, change of clothing, robe (I wore the hospital gown but some women want to be in their own sleep ware), charger, slippers

    baby - one change of clothing (they spend most of their time swaddled and the hospital gives a small stash of diapers), light swaddling blanket (in case air conditioning is chilly)

    i found that that I didn’t really need that much. We had a short 15 minute ride home from the hospital with all that we needed.
  • Baby- pretty much nothing. Other than their going home outfit they are swaddled the whole time in the hospital. They give you all the diapers and wipes you need. They’ll give you the blanket and beanie too. They gave extra stuff to take home (Take everything you can!)

    mom- charger, nursing pillow, i used my own gowns after the first day, i recommend a dress to go home in (especially if it’s c section), personal toiletries (even to shower if you plan on longer than a day or two), sandals, belly band (some hospitals give you one), nursing bra, you’ll get some wonderful mesh panties there too (take home extras!)

    partner- extra pillow if they plan to sleep there (i hoarded all the hospital pillows lol), snacks or money for hospital food/drinks (they typically don’t get meals), change of clothes, toiletries, and maybe some light entertainment like book or game. 

    The hospital will give most of what mommy and baby need. And i don’t kid about taking extras home they really don’t care. 
    gspmom21
  • Loading the player...
  • I second the “take all of the extras home.” You will want those giant pads and mesh panties! I was surprised the hospital gave a small package of diapers...I took all of those suckers!
  • baby - 1 going home outfit in newborn and 1 outfit in 0-3; blanket to cover baby in car seat (for air conditioned car ride). Optional, nursing pillow and velcro swaddle blankets (if you're swaddling challenged like my husband and I). If your hospital does photos and you would want anything special for that, like a quilt or special blanket. 

    mom: loose comfy clothes to go home in, slippers, flip flops, robe if you'll want to cover up for guests, phone charger, nursing bras and camis. Any toiletries you might want, I think I only brought deodorant, toothbrush/paste, and shampoo/conditioner. If you take any meds, don't bother bringing them, because the hospital will make you take it through their pharmacy instead - at least that was my experience. 

    Don't forget, hospitals can be really cold with the AC in the summer, and some moms have chills after giving birth. 
  • js8812js8812
    500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments Name Dropper
    member
    edited February 2018
    Last time I brought newborn diapers because the hospital generally gives out size 1. I used the NB diapers and kept the size 1s for when they fit my son better a few weeks later. 
  • @acunamatada yeah and sadly if you did have to go to L&D right now they will most likely won’t be able to help much until your at least 21 wks. Definitely way too early for packing!
    noideawhatshesdoingacunamatada
  • boem2018boem2018
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment Photogenic
    member
    edited February 2018
    Um, excuse me?? What matter is it that I'm trying to be informed and educated prior to the tornado that I'll be in, in a matter of just months? I'll be moving for my husband's job,  and likely holding a funeral for my dying father within weeks prior to the birth of my first child. Thanks for the (lack of) support from those of you leaving rude negative comments. Wow.
  • wildtot said:
    @TalesOfASocialIntrovert I was thinking the same thing but i thought maybe it was just my grumpy insomnia speaking. 
    wildtot said:
    @acunamatada yeah and sadly if you did have to go to L&D right now they will most likely won’t be able to help much until your at least 21 wks. Definitely way too early for packing!
    Who said I was packing? It's called gathering information. But then again ignorance seems to be a welcomed way of being for some people as I'm finding out here.  
  • boem2018 said:
    Um, excuse me?? What matter is it that I'm trying to be informed and educated prior to the tornado that I'll be in, in a matter of just months? I'll be moving for my husband's job,  and likely holding a funeral for my dying father within weeks prior to the birth of my first child. Thanks for the (lack of) support from those of you leaving rude negative comments. Wow.
    Everything @kissableviv said. I'm sure everyone here is sorry to hear about your father, myself included. However, to say we're lacking in support for you when you've never intro'd or posted anywhere else but to answer your own questions is most certainly the pot calling the kettle black.

    If you're not interested in participating in our community so that you can offer and receive support, I would agree with viv that Google is great for answers.

    Hopefully you'll stick around, intro, and find some commonalities around here that will help you to feel supported.
    lindsayleigh1989noideawhatshesdoingacunamatadazombiehoohaa
  • boem2018 said:
    Um, excuse me?? What matter is it that I'm trying to be informed and educated prior to the tornado that I'll be in, in a matter of just months? I'll be moving for my husband's job,  and likely holding a funeral for my dying father within weeks prior to the birth of my first child. Thanks for the (lack of) support from those of you leaving rude negative comments. Wow.
    Everything @kissableviv said. I'm sure everyone here is sorry to hear about your father, myself included. However, to say we're lacking in support for you when you've never intro'd or posted anywhere else but to answer your own questions is most certainly the pot calling the kettle black.

    If you're not interested in participating in our community so that you can offer and receive support, I would agree with viv that Google is great for answers.

    Hopefully you'll stick around, intro, and find some commonalities around here that will help you to feel supported.
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. However I don't come from a background to be judgmental or rude to anyone whatsoever, introduction or not,  especially if they're new to a situation and unaware of the "rules" so to speak and to make them feel negatively or unwelcome. But wishes on all of your births in the coming months. I'll take the advice and stick to Google.
  • @boem2018 we all have untold personal challenges that may come up so no need to get defensive. This group is very supportive if you take the time to read and participate more than twice. Most of us probably have other things going on right now and hospital bags are not a real concern. There are many google sites that can give you an idea of what you need AND you can also ask you hospital. 
    lindsayleigh1989acunamatada
  • @boem2018 I like to gather information way ahead of time too! 
    zombiehoohaackmb_knottie
  • purplepelicanpurplepelican
    500 Love Its 500 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper
    member
    edited February 2018
    ::snip::
    there are lots of helpful lists on the web as well as plenty of blogger moms that have written about baby basics and hospital bags. 
     ::snip::
    I second this. 

    @boem2018 Go on Pinterest and search for "hospital bag checklist." There are tons of great lists on there (usually from mommy bloggers) that you can look at and use to compile your own list. ETA: I'm a planner too, and have already started making a list for myself. 

    This board has a strong "board culture" that may be different from other boards that you have browsed through. Board regulars tend to get annoyed when newcomers don't take the time to get to know the board culture and rules before posting. Don't take it too personally - it happens to many, many newcomers. Read the "Read This First" post pinned at the top of the board, take some time to learn about the board culture, and people will be super welcoming and ready to discuss these topics with you. This would've been a great question for the weekly "questions" thread. 

    noideawhatshesdoingwildtotacunamatadazombiehoohaa
  • acunamatadaacunamatada
    1000 Comments 500 Love Its Second Anniversary First Answer
    member
    edited February 2018
    @boem2018 Google, What to Expect, BabyCenter. All good resources for the information dump you’re looking for. (The last two are also pregnancy communities- but less structured)
    Most women on this board are still anxiously awaiting anatomy scans, we’re a ways away from hospital bags. 
    noideawhatshesdoingwildtotcomealongponds
  • Beef or chicken? 

    acunamatadanoideawhatshesdoingstlmegshillbillywife
  • @comealongponds exactly! I had panic attack this morning before mine not to mention we just had a mom have a loss... 
    wildtotcomealongponds
  • @comealongponds exactly! I had panic attack this morning before mine not to mention we just had a mom have a loss... 
    @lindsayleigh1989 who? I missed that!! 
  • @boem2018 this would be a good question for the weekly randoms.  Also, not sure if you have a pinterest but I use it in place of google to find answers to questions like this.
  • @4deep it’s in the genetic testing thread, I don’t want to tag her to avoid the notifications since I’m sure she’s still raw. Her little had complete T13.
    run along Pond...2015/12/10

    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    lindsayleigh1989
  • @4deep



    Seriously though OP, no one was rude. You barging in here and using us as your personal Google is rude. As many have stated, we’re developing a community and part of that is giving support to others, as well as working within board culture. A friend of mine just lost her little one at 22 weeks to a chromosomal abnormality so I’m over here anxiously awaiting my anatomy scan to get the all clear (as are many here).  Thinking about my hospital bag is completely putting the cart before the horse at this point as far as I’m concerned. 
    Barging in? I'm in the same boat(clearly) waiting for those results as well since we're all due around the same time. My apologies for not knowing the rules of this apparent club. I was simply trying to keep my mind off of the negativity that consumes my thoughts during this terrifying yet winderful journey that we're all on. I'll just wait for a list of what I can talk about at which stages, and stick to that as to not step on any toes or offend anyone. 
  • boem2018 said:
    @4deep



    Seriously though OP, no one was rude. You barging in here and using us as your personal Google is rude. As many have stated, we’re developing a community and part of that is giving support to others, as well as working within board culture. A friend of mine just lost her little one at 22 weeks to a chromosomal abnormality so I’m over here anxiously awaiting my anatomy scan to get the all clear (as are many here).  Thinking about my hospital bag is completely putting the cart before the horse at this point as far as I’m concerned. 
    Barging in? I'm in the same boat(clearly) waiting for those results as well since we're all due around the same time. My apologies for not knowing the rules of this apparent club. I was simply trying to keep my mind off of the negativity that consumes my thoughts during this terrifying yet winderful journey that we're all on. I'll just wait for a list of what I can talk about at which stages, and stick to that as to not step on any toes or offend anyone. 
    Yes. Barging in. You didn’t introduce yourself, you just came in and started a thread without getting a feel for the board culture or reading the pinned posts at the top (which, quite helpfully, direct you on the appropriate places to post things, since you asked).

    Imagine walking up to a group of people you don’t know but have a singular thing in common with and leading with, “Hey! Answer my question!”, interrupting any number of conversations. That’s how posts like this are viewed here.

    We’re lovely people here really, if you take the time to get to know us. A sincere apology and an introduction in the appropriate place would be a great place to start if you’d like to stick around. 
    run along Pond...2015/12/10

    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    TalesOfASocialIntrovertwildtotacunamatadalindsayleigh1989
  • @boem2018 continuing on the defensive isn’t going to win you any points here. Really, the main issue here is you came in as a brand spanking new member and started your own thread, the icing on the cake being that it’s about a topic most people don’t even start thinking about until the 3rd tri. Something you could have just as easily googled. It would have been much better received had you posted it in one of our weekly threads and you had made an effort to participate in the community and learning the customs. There’s a **read this first** pinned thread for this reason, to explain our “rules” so we can keep a clean board. Really, no one was rude, you joined a community without reading the “rules,” and stepped on some toes. We can all move on and support eachother. 
    comealongpondslindsayleigh1989
  • Barging in? I'm in the same boat(clearly) waiting for those results as well since we're all due around the same time. My apologies for not knowing the rules of this apparent club. I was simply trying to keep my mind off of the negativity that consumes my thoughts during this terrifying yet winderful journey that we're all on. I'll just wait for a list of what I can talk about at which stages, and stick to that as to not step on any toes or offend anyone. 
    This board is full of conversations that can help keep your mind busy if you actually give it a try to participate. We have daily and weekly threads that help cover many of our thoughts and questions. No need to get defensive, but hopefully you’ll introduce yourself and begin to jump in more.
    comealongpondslindsayleigh1989
  • acunamatada said:no
    @boem2018 continuing on the defensive isn’t going to win you any points here. Really, the main issue here is you came in as a brand spanking new member and started your own thread, the icing on the cake being that it’s about a topic most people don’t even start thinking about until the 3rd tri. Something you could have just as easily googled. It would have been much better received had you posted it in one of our weekly threads and you had made an effort to participate in the community and learning the customs. There’s a **read this first** pinned thread for this reason, to explain our “rules” so we can keep a clean board. Really, no one was rude, you joined a community without reading the “rules,” and stepped on some toes. We can all move on and support eachother. 
    "Read this first" doesn't show up on my android phone anywhere that I can find.... at all. It was a miracle that I figured out how to post a question.  Additionally I had googled this information prior to posting,  and thought that actually conversing with real women would make me feel more connected/ supported.  Lastly,  I've never in my life attempted to be apart of something like this,  and had no clue how it was run. I just assumed it was welcoming at the time. My into was posted in "introductions".
  • Seriously OP, like I said before the passive aggressiveness isn’t going to get you anywhere. You’re not sorry for anything. You’re pissed you got called out. Own up to it and move on. You wouldn’t want someone barging into your living room and asking for advice on which pasta sauce is best. We don’t like that either. Especially with all the extra things on all of our plates these days. 

    wildtotacunamatadacomealongpondslindsayleigh1989
  • zombiehoohaazombiehoohaa
    500 Love Its 1000 Comments First Anniversary Name Dropper
    member
    edited February 2018
    @boem2018 As I mentioned in the introductions, the mobile app is not user friendly, at all. Try logging into thebump.com on your mobile web browser. That's how most of us navigate through here. The pinned threads will always be at the top when using the web browser. Here is the link to the Read first thread, in case you aren't able to find it on the app (again, the app is not our friend...) https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12719220/read-first-board-organization/p1

    There are a lot of great threads in here to distract you from everyday life. It is a great community, which we are very protective of (as you can see). Browse through the other threads, it will help a bit. 

    Also, we do have weekly Product Spotlight threads, which showcase specifics such as car seats, baby monitors, baby clothes, formula, etc. It looks like hospital bags are the third to last product spotlight to be showcased (see here for the list of all things we have and will be showcasing: http://https//docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gjNtxy2Kd2JceTYYR5wkwVcpTbU-khgazhjcZnfI1y4/edit#gid=0 ). 

    I will add that Pinterest has been my go-to for searching things such as hospital bags (I'm a planner). I have a board that probably has 10 different lists of what mothers say should go in the bag...it's pretty interesting to see. 

    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

    acunamatadawildtotlindsayleigh1989SmashJam
  • boem2018 said:
    acunamatada said:no
    @boem2018 continuing on the defensive isn’t going to win you any points here. Really, the main issue here is you came in as a brand spanking new member and started your own thread, the icing on the cake being that it’s about a topic most people don’t even start thinking about until the 3rd tri. Something you could have just as easily googled. It would have been much better received had you posted it in one of our weekly threads and you had made an effort to participate in the community and learning the customs. There’s a **read this first** pinned thread for this reason, to explain our “rules” so we can keep a clean board. Really, no one was rude, you joined a community without reading the “rules,” and stepped on some toes. We can all move on and support eachother. 
    "Read this first" doesn't show up on my android phone anywhere that I can find.... at all. It was a miracle that I figured out how to post a question.  Additionally I had googled this information prior to posting,  and thought that actually conversing with real women would make me feel more connected/ supported.  Lastly,  I've never in my life attempted to be apart of something like this,  and had no clue how it was run. I just assumed it was welcoming at the time. My into was posted in "introductions".
    Okay let’s play the QFP game. I’m so glad you managed to miraculously figure out how to post a thread. The board organization thread is the very last pinned announcement. No one is blaming you for not understanding how the community works on day 1, but your defensive attitude after making a mistake is quite frankly rude. Also, you weren’t asking for support, or even trying to connect, based on your OP. You used us as a personal Google and that’s not what this community is for. 
    TalesOfASocialIntrovertwildtotlindsayleigh1989
  • Thank you @zombiehoohaa. I very much appreciate it. 
    zombiehoohaa
Sign In or Register to comment.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards