October 2018 Moms

Antidepressants and pregnancy

Hi all. So I’m struggling with how much if at all to cut back on my Zoloft. I wasn’t expecting to be pregnant so soon and am on 200mg for depression. Thinking I’m going to walk it back really slowly (175 for a week, etc) but wanted opinions. Obviously I don’t want to expose the nugget to medication like that, but my kids need a mom who isn’t depressed and useless. My symptoms have been stable for a while though so I think I should be ok to walk it back as long as I go slowly and carefully. Anyone have experience with dialing back on antidepressants? Thoughts?
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Antidepressants and pregnancy

• Talk to both your OBGYN and your prescribing doctor. I have to make an appointment myself to start weaning off my antidepressant (Effexor).
    Me: 25 | DH: 34
    Married since 2010, TTC since Dec 2013
    Dx: PCOS
  • I’ve just weaned off my Zoloft, but my doctor told me of all the SSRIs it is the safest. I also told him if I need to go back on it I won’t hesitate to call him. Call your doctor and see what they think. 
  • Loading the player...
  • pebbledampebbledam member
    edited February 2018
    It's a very personal decision. We were talking about it earlier this week here: https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12724076/mental-health-mamas#latest

@kate437 - What dosage of Effexor are you on? I switched off of 150mg Effexor to Prozac a few months ago while TTC because SSRI's are considered safer. It was a rough transition. I hope it goes better for you than it did for me. 
    Me: 29 | DH: 29
    Married 12/2016
    DSS born 01/2016
    TTC since 01/2017
    Letrozole + TI = BFP 01/30/2018 | EDD 10/11/2018
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Thanks @pebbledam. My bad, didn’t see that. Def going to talk to my OB and my psychiatrist 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I've been on celexa for about 7 years or so. I told my pcp that I was very concerned about going off it. She told me it was safe to stay on it, but it was my choice. She said seeing as I've been on it long-term, it makes sense to stay on it. 
  • @pebbledam 75mg. I am kind of expecting it to be rough. I can feel it if I miss a dose by even a few hours.
    Me: 25 | DH: 34
    Married since 2010, TTC since Dec 2013
    Dx: PCOS
  • pebbledampebbledam member
    edited February 2018
    @Kate437 - I was usually ok if I missed A dose, but if I missed two it was awful. 
    Me: 29 | DH: 29
    Married 12/2016
    DSS born 01/2016
    TTC since 01/2017
    Letrozole + TI = BFP 01/30/2018 | EDD 10/11/2018
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • I see my psychiatrist tonight and will bring this up, but I plan to stay on my zoloft. I’m on 75mg. 
  • I take 50mg of Zoloft. Definitely talk to your doc. My first pregnancy I stopped taking it without talking to anyone and it was really really bad. I was back on it a month later cause I couldn’t function. So this pregnancy Staying on the 50mg the whole time
  • Talk to your Dr, but Zoloft is considered safe for pregnancy so don't stress ypurself out. It will be ok. I work in Mental Health and even the babes of mums on more hardcore antipsychotics are ok, its most inportant to have healthy mum
    I was lucky enought that I had just finished weaning from 100 zoloft the week I conceived!
  • I'm currently on 100 mg of Zoloft and my dr's office told me to keep taking them.  My anxiety is out of control, and even just this mild dose makes a world of difference. 

I have an appointment with my psychiatrist who writes the prescription today to discuss.

I will likely wean off when closer to 3rd trimester.  And then go right back on.

image        image

• I went off when I found out I was pregnant but I was only on 10mg of Lexapro. I talked with my doctor and we decided that I would start them back up immediately if I started feeling like I was drowning again. 
    DS born on 4/16/16

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Hi @lest12 I know it’s been a month since this post but I was reading for insight and wanted to let you know about my experience restarting Zoloft. I have been on 5 years, was on during my last pregnancy just lowered dosage. No issues and perfect 2.5 yo now. Now, I found out I was pregnant about 6 weeks ago and stopped Zoloft cold turkey. I should have consulted doctor but was in the middle of a move out of state  and just busy. I don’t have a stressful job anymore so thought would be fine. I have actually been fine for the last 6 weeks no real withdrawal. I have been crying more but attributed it mostly to being nauseous while pregnant, hubby traveling for work a lot and in a new city not knowing anyone. This week was particular worse so thought maybe I should just start taking the Zoloft again. I took a 100mg pill yesterday and had diarrhea, nausea and insomnia immediately. This am threw up twice and was dizzy. I have read others that had no side effects first time around May experience second time. Just wanted to warn you if you go off. Personally if you think you will need again I would not go off at all. Would not wish how I feel today on anyone, and now I can’t even think of taking it again just want it out of my system. I can’t be this sick taking care of a toddler all day so I can’t wait days or weeks to power through the side effects. Now after reading if I ever decide to take something again it will be a very sow and gradual process and know I need family around for support. Wish I either never stopped taking, or didn’t decide to again yesterday. Only time will tell...
  • I'm seeing a Maternal Fetal Medicine dr on Wednesday of next week for my first U/S and consultation on staying on Celexa or possibly doing something else. I've been on it since roughly 2010, so I'm hoping if anything he'll just lower my dose.
  • bel194bel194 member
    edited March 2018
    I weaned off zoloft with DD even though my Dr was fine with me staying on.  I had to go very, very slow because I was getting "brain zaps" for lack of a better explanation.. not like actual shocks but that's what it felt like. I guess its fairly common when going off of SSRI's and is due to withdrawals. I don't remember how much I was taking, but I believe I weaned off in increments of 10. I had planned on going back on when I had her and tried, but the zoloft ended up not working for me like it had in the past. 
    BFP #1: due 6/17/2013, DD born 6/25/13
    BFP #2: due 6/30/2017, MMC found 12/7/2016
    BFP #3: due 10/21/2018 
  • Celexa for me, as well. My OB recommended I continue taking it and I have. She said that the anxiety I would experience during pregnancy would be far worse than a baby who potentially went through a very minor withdrawal for no more than 24 hours.

I definitely agreed with her.

Hopefully that helps, but I'd certainly discuss it with your OB as well.
  • My OB didn't seem concerned with me staying on it, but wanted the recommendation of someone who's more familiar with the research than he is. I told him I want to be on something. I'm more worried about post-pregnancy and PPD. I feel if I can keep up my meds throughout my pregnancy then I'll be in a better place for post.
  • coffee-saurcoffee-saur member
    edited March 2018
    I take 100 mg of Zoloft every night before bed. With my two other pregnancies, Dr told me that it is fine to be on while pregnant, but they recommend slowly going off 2-3 weeks before the baby is born, or when you're due. Dr told me that it may on occasion cause for grumpy babies right after birth. He said they don't really know why, but could be withdrawal or just a grumpy baby... So he recommended, if I could, to wean down just before the baby is born. He also said that they can put me back on, right after the baby is born.
     I have C-section, so it is easier for me to plan when to start tapering down the dose. 
    That said, I'd definitely ask your Dr. But don't quit cold turkey! At least I get headaches and feel gross when I forget a day. 
    DS 6/6/10
    DD 3/15/12
    DD 6/3/14
    #4 Due 10/26/18!