June 2018 Moms

GTKY: What CAN'T You Drink Anymore (even when not pregnant)? #storytime

Happy Tuesday! What can't you drink anymore even when not pregnant, and what's the story behind that aversion? 

Bonus question: What's the drink you're most looking forward to after you give birth?

Re: GTKY: What CAN'T You Drink Anymore (even when not pregnant)? #storytime

• Loading the player...
  • @doxiemoxie212 Just thinking about margaritas gives me heartburn. The red wine sounds awfully good though. Dry or sweet?
  • @kfren I would take issue with anyone describing "sweet red wine" as also "good" lol ;) Dry, bold zinfandel pls! Or a super dry, light pinot noir.... yum
  • @LaceyBee522 ANY SEASON IS RED WINE SEASON IF YOU WANT IT TO BE!!! (but also yes, rose season is the best season)
  • @doxiemoxie212 Blech, no. I have a mental block with red wine when it is warm out. MAYBE I'll have a glass if I'm eating steak or lamb in the summer. But I'd still prefer an oakey chardonnay over red if it is warm out.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @doxiemoxie212 I like sweet wine, but then again, I don't know much about wine, or spend much money on it when I do buy it. 
  • @LaceyBee522 I mean, when it's hot out, I'm always going to choose rose or white (I'm a viognier girl, though) BUT I wouldn't say no to a slightly chilled pinot noir on a summer night... 

ugh now I want wine so bad, but I'm 23 weeks pregnant and it's not even 11am on a Tuesday! In no world is this an appropriate craving! 
  • Haha @lisa2589 we did the same thing! Underage drinking is the worst. 
    Me 30 Him 30
    Married
     August 2015
    DS born 5/23/2018
    TTC #2 July 2020

• mytincmytinc member
    edited February 2018
    Oh, and even the thought of the Wildberry Jack Country Cocktail makes me taste bile in my mouth.  I don't recall which underage party did it to me, but it was definitely bad.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

First Son - born 2013
    Second Son - born 2014 - Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS) and Double Outlet Right Ventricle (DORV).  First open heart surgery at 5 days old.  He's had 3 open heart surgeries and several other procedures and is currently doing amazing.
    Third Son - due June 9, 2018
  • Haha I love this! Mine is probably screwdrivers. I love vodka and I love orange juice but I drank them in college and it made it so I couldn't enjoy orange juice (not spiked) at breakfast for a long long time. Now that I can finally enjoy OJ again I don't like mixing alcohol with it anymore haha. Also just cheap liquor in general I pretty much refuse to drink anymore. 

@catlady1215 I like Mike's Hard but I can definitely only drink like 1 of them. They give me horrible heartburn if I drink any more. One time I had way too many while tubing with friends and ohmygosh the burnnnnn!

I also hate Fireball and refuse to drink it. For some reason it seems to be everyone's "shot of choice" whenever I'm with people. No thanks. Give me tequila with a lime and some salt, or some Jameson/other good whiskey any day.

I can't wait to drink wine again, but I've also been missing a good cold beer. Since it'll be hot as hell here when baby is born I know I'll want something refreshing. I'm hoping baby is out before my birthday (July 3) so that I can celebrate!
    DD born 6/21/2018
    DS born 9/24/2020
  • @lisa2589 yes! We put Vladmir Vodka in Red Powerade.  Awful.  I can't stomach any red powerade / gatorade now.
  • I can’t do tequila anymore even in a margarita. 7 shots on NYE when I was 21 killed it for me forever. 

I’m looking forward to a glass of Malbec or a good craft beer. Wine has no seasons for me. I just drink whatever sounds good at the time. 
    Me: 27 DH: 27
    Married 6/15/13
    BFP #1 5/8/16, EDD 12/31/16- DD born 9/10/16 at 24 weeks 
    ~In our hearts forever~
    BFP #2 10/14/17, EDD 7/1/18

• Mine is Jager. It was the first thing I ever got drunk from and now even the smell of star anise gets me gagging. I ended up puking all over a friends bed. I also cant drink Captain anymore for the same reasons as @krashke.

I can't wait for a summer beer. One of my favorite local breweries makes an awesome mango IPA.

@doxiemoxie212 I agree regarding a "good sweet red wine". I got spoiled with amazing wines when I worked at this fancy resort with an incredible wine inventory.
    DD:3 | DS:1
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @amys614 That would be a perfect name! My brother drove home from DC over Christmas and he had to stock up the trunk before he went back!
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @amys614 that would actually be a cute name!!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was never one to really over do it. In college we partied every Thur, Fri & Sat so it was more about longevity for the weekend not so much getting shitfaced on any particular occasion. The one time I got really sick was from apple martinis. I'm almost sure the bartender had it out for me. Out with some law school classmates and a guy buys me a martini. Shortly after DH (at that time was just my bf) comes in, ask who brought me a drink (I never let DH buy me drinks bc he thinks getting me drunk is fun) not to be out done he buys me another martini which the bartender spills some handing it over. DH gets upset, points out that she spilled the drink and that I should get a new one. The bartender makes another in addition to giving me the spilled one. I have now had 3 martinis in about 30 minutes. A fourth and 5th drink magically appear (by this point I have no sense of time so IDK how far apart these last drinks were) and I went to the bathroom everything was spinning the moment I stood up. I told DH to drive me home. I barely made it upstairs before throwing up in every sink, tub, and toilet in the apartment. The apple flavored vomit continued for another 24 hours.
    Me:27 DH: 31 Married Since: 08/2016
    TTC: 08/2017 EDD: 6/11/2018 FTM
  • I can't drink anything malted bc I can't have gluten. I also can't drink rum bc it always makes me super sick. Lastly, if I drink more than a few of anything, it gives me a stomach ache bc of my IBS. 

I'm totally looking forward to having a drink in June though.
  • Seems to be a trend on here, but Captain Morgan. First time I was drunk and I was blackout drunk. ( I have never done that again), Luckily I was with my now DH and he was gentlemen. It could have been very bad. I was dumb. 

Now the smell makes my stomach turn. 

First drink after LO. James Bond Martini recipe from the Jelly Fish in FL. It is so good, but strong. 
  • +1 to the Mike's aversion. No bad experiences, just heart burn city! The only time I've been really sick was from apple pie moonshine  (apple cider, sugar, everclear, cinnamon sticks) but it sure doesn't stop me from drinking it now.

Since this babe is coming in the summer, I'm looking forward to an ice cold gin and tonic or mojito on a warm night!
  • mmm blue moon, summer shandy, and some chard and pinot g. sound amazing
  • @katelynrae86 +1 to apple pie moonshine! That stuff hits fast. One minute you don't feel a thing, then you stand up and - hello!

• Jack daniels! Ugh even the thought of the smell makes me want to barf. I drank way too much of it one NYE....ew.

I can't wait for an ice cold beer, and a mojito. 
  • @amys614 where in the city is this magical muddled Marg place? I must know!!!

The worst for me is probably any hard liquor that comes in a plastic bottle but ESPECIALLY Skol vodka. That crap almost killed me in HS. I don't really like any vodka because of it. Ack. 

Runner up is SoCo. One summer in college my roommate and I drank SoCo and Fresca like all day every day for about a week or so. So sweet, I can't even think about near SoCo. So gross.

You ladies have a lot of great ideas. I will likely first have a nice glass of red wine, probably a Malbec. But I'd happily take a margarita, a craft beer, or a bloody Mary, lol. 
  • I’ve been fiercely craving a margarita lately. I’m thinking of going to get tacos soon and ordering a virgin one to see if it will temporarily satisfy. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • This thread is actually making me feel sick but soon I’ll take refuge in the “what my pregnant self is eating” and I’ll be ravenous again.

+1 to too much Captain Morgan in college. It doesn’t even taste good - why is it the college drink of choice?!

In college for whatever reason my friends and I drank a lot of gin including Tanqueray. I’m pretty sure it was inspired by the Gin and Juice song. Anyways I can’t drink any gin now from too many hangovers.

I avoided tequila throughout college and am so glad because now it is my favorite. I would absolutely love a strawberry or watermelon margarita - YUM

Pic from a favorite spot in north Lake Tahoe:

• I've never been able to drink Vodka.  The taste is just vile.  
    I'm looking forward to a glass of Prosecco or an ice cold beer. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • These last couple of drink pictures are making me want to lick the screen. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker