October 2018 Moms
Options

Massage Safe or Not this early?

I booked a month ago a spa day for my birthday on March 7th.  I will be 8 weeks 5 days by then.
The spa includes a 30 minute Hammam Steam Room, 60 Minute Swedish Massage, Natural Grains Body Polish scrub, Spa Pedicure and Spa Manicure
I have read mixed reviews online about going for a massage and steam rooms. Does anyone know what the issue is and if an OB has told them not to go before? 
It will be a question I will ask at my next appointment on Feb. 19th thats for sure, but was curious if I should cancel it. 
Appreciate any insights.
Me 33 DH 41
TTC since 2016
Due: October 12, 2018

Re: Massage Safe or Not this early?

• Options
    I've read no to anything that will raise your body temp like a steam room, but that was just something I read.
  • Options
    Steam room might just be too hot. There is something about not raising your body temperature especially in early pregnancy. Even overly hot showers/baths are generally frowned upon. I did a steam room once and it was really hot. I wouldn't want to be in there while pregnant anyways. lol. I actually got a massage during the TWW and I asked about this and they said they wouldn't do massages in the first trimester just because of liability issues, but it was most likely safe. You could always ask if they can do a prenatal massage though. Everything else should be fine I think. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Like @sammierose464, I read somewhere that raising your body temp (like in a steam room, sauna, or hot tub) when pregnant isn't a good idea, but I don't have a source to back that up. You could check for restrictions on the the website if the spa has one, or call them to see what they say before checking with your dr. if you want. At the very least, I would think a meni/pedi is still ok so maybe you don't have to cancel the whole thing. 
  • Options
    @sammierose464 @kimberbeep @acciocoffee Thanks ladies. I was hoping I wouldn't have to cancel, but I will for sure confirm with my Dr.. I was so looking forward to the spa day, as I have never done one for my birthday before, but this bean is much more important! :wink:
    Me 33 DH 41
    TTC since 2016
    Due: October 12, 2018

• Options
    Honestly if you’re experience nausea at that point a steam room would probably make it worse. I also agree with others, you’re supposed to avoid things that raise your core temperature. Also, I remember from pregnancy 1 that massages were a 2nd and 3rd tri thing.

On another note, yay for March Birthdays! Mine is the 4th.
  • Options
    Maybe you could reschedule for when you are in second trimester and switch it to a prenatal massage or some other pregnancy safe option?  I'm sure if you call they would understand and hopefully have some recommendations!
  • Options
    Massages are not safe in the first trimester, unfortunately. There are a lot of reasons why but most spas won't allow you to get a massage if they know you're in your first trimester. I'd try and reschedule when you're a little further along so you can enjoy everything.
    Ladybug - April 2013
    Dandelion - October 2018
    Angel "Aurora" - July 2020
    Angel "Sawyer" - May 2021
    Angel "Maxine" - January 2022
    Angel "Violet" - March 2022
    Baby Dove due March 2023
  • Options
    Most places offer pregnancy messages which include different oils. Definitely speak to your doctor but if you call the place, they should tell you if they recommend you wait or if they can see you. Do not go in the steam room, they are dangerous to use when pregnant. 
  • Options
    spottedgingerspottedginger member
    edited February 2018
    ***Lurking from September 
    massages are perfectly safe in first tri but many businesses and practitioners won’t take a client in their first trimester for liability. While the massage won’t cause a miscarriage, miscarriages are common in first tri and they don’t want the risk of being associated with one. 
    Steam rooms are not safe. 

Eta link: https://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancy-health/prenatal-massage/