Single Parents
Options

dumped during third trimester, need advice on custody for future baby

My boyfriend and I had been together for a year when we found out we were expecting. Long story short, I just found out he's been dating another girl for the past month and because of his cheating we are splitting up. We live together so I am hunting for an apartment and trying to move as soon as possible. We can't agree on custody for our future son and I am due in 9 weeks so it's stressing me out. He wants 50/50 equal custody but doesn't want to get lawyers or legal ruling involved. I worry that if we don't have a legal agreement I will run into problems with custody transfers later on and will have no way to prove who is supposed to have custody at that point in time. Any advice on how to make shared custody work without making it harder on the parents?

Re: dumped during third trimester, need advice on custody for future baby

• Options
    I couldn't agree more with PP.  I wouldn't trust someone who cheated on me to keep his word about custody when he couldn't keep his word being faithful to me.  I have no experience with any kind of custody anything, my BD never fought me on what I wanted/expected, however, I believe that having an attorney will be beneficial in your case. You might even be able to find one pro bono or through the state where you live (depending on what their laws are on this).

Keep calm, mama, there's a better chance of you getting your way than him getting his. Right now, focus on you and LO, focus on a place to live. Sending you love.  Keep us updated.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I’m in almost the same situation. Expect I’m only 9 weeks and the dad broke up with because he cheated and now is claiming the baby isn’t his and wants a paternity test. So I’m stuck whether or not to get a lawyer involved too. I just can’t afford one since I’m going back to college and taking one class a semester this year. 
  • Options
    @kg313 I would call attorneys in the area and see if someone would take your case pro bono or see if you could fund one through the state (some states do this).  I don't remember which agency works with parents in need of family lawyers though, but you could google around a bit.

Also, you may want to start looking into WIC, TANF, SNAP, and maybe into insurance for the LO (allkidscovered.com).

I'm not as active here as I used to be but I'm still around, if you need to PM me.  
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options
    He shouldn't be on the birth certificate. Cheaters like him don't deserve to be called that kids dad. If he's not on the birth certificate and he doesn't apply for fathership rights within thirty days of the child's birth you have full control. Just do that