June 2018 Moms

Weekly Questions (2/5)

Thoughts on making this monthly instead of weekly?

What are your questions this week?

Me: 30 | DH: 34 | DSS: 14 | DS: 4
PG #2, EDD 10/12/2023

Re: Weekly Questions (2/5)

• Haha - Monthly is good by me :)  I'm all about condensing 

My question - I know this has sorta been talked about, but is anyone seriously contemplating getting their tubes tied?
    Me: 28 | Husband: 39
    Married March 2016
    DD: born 7.22.16
    DS EDD: 6.23.18
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @sunshineandwhiskey no! But this is my first :) My sister tried to have hers done years ago and now she’s happily expecting another baby.  

My question: how many months is 20/21 weeks? Googles telling me different things. 

Also, anyone else not done anything yet? No registry, no signing up for classes, no shower plans, no purchases? No social media announcement?  ...or just me haha
  • Loading the player...
  • Question for any of the other thyroid girls.
    Have you ever had pills that literally dissolve in your mouth as soon as you take your water??
    I've been on levo for 8 years. just got my new bottle of a higher dose end of last week. and they're seriously dissolving and mush before i even swallow. i didn't notice it all weekend, but felt it today and spit my first pill out lol.
    I'm at 175, the only time I've ever been this high is at the end of my first pregnancy. so I questioned cause of the dose? so I called the pharmacy and he just said each manufacturer could use a different formula so its not uncommon. but in 8 years I've never had this happen?

me:35 DH:34
    DS: born oct 2012
    TFAS: BFP #1 aug16. miscarriage sept16
              BFP #2 nov16 MMC dec16. d&c jan17
              BFP #3 sept17  EDD 5/31/18
    fingers crossed for our rainbow baby
  • Did you all generally like having the MBF, TW, and WTF thread all in one last week, or any votes to take it back to individual daily threads? 
    Also, any better name for it other than weekly rant thread?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @sunshineandwhiskey I'm going to be talking to my ob about it tomorrow.
  • @helenbz I hate when people ask me how many months I am! It always confused me because in weeks pregnancy is 10 months but in the months that everyone is familiar with it is 9. But basically the months start around week four of pregnancy when women would typically find out they are pregnant. So I take 20 weeks - 4 which is 16 which would be four months. 

Which leads me to my next rant that 20 weeks isn't really half way! Because it's not half way from when the fertilized egg implants and you become pregnant. 
    *TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• @helenbz you just divide the number of weeks pregnant you are by 4 to get months. This is only an estimate though since the number of days in an actual month vary, and are generally more than 28. 
  • @doxiemoxie212 I disagree because then at 36 weeks you would be considered 9 months pregnant and don't people typically consider 9 months full term which would be 40 weeks?
    *TW LC*

• @krashke right but it’s a misconception that pregnancy lasts 9 months. It’s 10...
  • This is why when people ask I only tell them weeks lol. 
  • @katie121209 same or i say how many months I have left or I say I’m due early June and let them work it out themselves. 
  • @sunshineandwhiskey def want more kids, so no, but also even if we didn’t we just don’t have sex enough for me to think it’s necessary lol. Like maybe if we both had stronger libidos? Or even one of us? But it’s really nbd for me to track my cycles, DH to wear a condom or pull out etc. the, like, two times a month we bang. 
  • @sunshineandwhiskey - I occasionally think about having my tubes tied, but I also think about the fact that I'm relatively young (25). Part of me wants to have a second child with H, and we'd have 3 overall between the two of us, but then part of me thinks about how I'm not sure I could handle arguing for Zofran, morning sickness, worrying about spotting and cramps, etc. all over again. H is dead-set that we're done after this LO. But, that could change once LO is a few years old. For me, I just feel like I'm too young to make that decision -- but I know I'm one of the younger ones in the group, so it's a bit different for me. I plan to use the Nexplanon implant which would give us protection until LO is 3 or 4.  I doubt we'd be interested in having 2 under 2, and if we changed our minds in that time frame, it's easy enough to remove.

On the flip side, my mother also had her tubes tied and cauterized when she got pregnant with me. I think for  myself, if I knew I was 100% done having children, no doubt in my mind at all - I'd have a hysterectomy and not have to worry about the possibility at all.

@helenbz - 20 weeks would be about 5 months. I usually just go by "well, it's about 9 months of pregnancy, so from now to June is X months, so 9 minus X is Y." Which is kind of complicated, but whatever :lol:
    But, I also usually just tell people weeks. And if they ask about months, I'm like "IDK, you do the math".

@lisa2589 - I liked the rant thread! It was easier to just go there when I had a rant/issue rather than trying to figure out if it would be better suited for one of the three threads, and which one, and hope I remembered it on that day :lol:
    I agree with @LaceyBee522 about the UO and FFFC threads, though. They're different, and definitely spark a different debate/topic than the rant thread may spark.

Me: 30 | DH: 34 | DSS: 14 | DS: 4
    PG #2, EDD 10/12/2023

• I don't say how many months pregnant I am.  I generally reiterate my due date and clarify that I'll likely be early due to my history of being induced with Pre-E.  People don't care if you're 4 or 5 months pregnant.  They only care when the baby is coming.

Also, after the baby is born I only count age in weeks until about 8 or 12 weeks - then I give months from the actual birthday.  It drives me bonkers when people say their kid is 22 weeks old.  Even worse is when people keep counting months after a year or a year and a half.  I don't tell people my child is 41 months old.  I tell them he's 3 years old or sometimes I'm generous and say 3.5 years old.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

First Son - born 2013
    Second Son - born 2014 - Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS) and Double Outlet Right Ventricle (DORV).  First open heart surgery at 5 days old.  He's had 3 open heart surgeries and several other procedures and is currently doing amazing.
    Third Son - due June 9, 2018
  • @doxiemoxie212 @sunshineandwhiskey I'm with you gals... Just tracking my cycles sans BC. I'd say we've done well to be without BC 9 years.  My OB actually lists the tracking and pull out method as 2 separate forms of family planning/birth control. Albeit, they also warn of less effectiveness but still... Effective if done properly!
  • @stephcat421 fun fact: if used correctly, pulling out is as effective as condoms are. (Don't tell the teens, though! They're too irresponsible to handle this knowledge!)
  • @sunshineandwhiskey Will do! I'm only 27, and my Dr has mentioned it once this pregnancy so I know he's not opposed. My only possible drawback is that I have very painful ovulation, which won't be helped by having them tied, so I'm going to get his opinion on options for that. 
  • I have a question. DH is still going on about, "okay maybe we go to your mom's in CA just temporarily for the birth/a couple months after so we have a better hospital situation." He thinks his work would let him just work remotely for like 3-4 months, and they probably would.

BUT my mom's house in CA does not have A/C, and it can be anywhere from 70-105 degrees starting in June. I was a baby in that house and obviously survived, but I do remember my mom saying I got heat rash a lot as a kid, even though I was primarily nakers. Do any of you S+TMs live in a hot+dry climate without A/C? How was it with a newborn? 
  • @doxiemoxie212 well then, that would explain a lot as to our success :D.

As for your mom's, does she have availability to put in a wall unit, or is she opposed to A/C? It may be a good back up plan for days when it's a real scorcher!
  • We're Catholic, so no BC or tubal/vasectomy for us :smile: I'm looking into switching from sympto-thermal to Marquette NFP for PP so I don't have to worry about crazy CM patterns. 
    DD born 6/21/2018
    DS born 9/24/2020
  • I take the amount of wks I am and divide by 4. So on Thursday, I'll say I'm 6 months. But if someone asks, I say wks anyway. Or that I'm due end of May. Whatever come see out first.
  • @stephcat421 it's been a discussion for a long time, but basically it would cost about $14k minimum because of how her house is setup, and it would be a huge energy expense because her house isn't insulated and bakes in the sun. Yay old houses! lol It's not definitively off the table because it would increase the value of her house and improve her lifestyle dramatically (IMO), but still not something easy peasy. (And window units are out unless we replace windows because none of them open the way you need for window units... sigh)
  • @doxiemoxie212 I’d want a window unit for wherever the baby will sleep. It’s not a health hazard or something, but many babies have trouble falling and staying asleep when overheated (my son included). That’s why their ideal sleeping temp is fairly cool. As always, it varies by baby, but I’d want to be prepared.
    Me: 34 
    Husband: 35
    Married: June 2007
    Son Max born 1/10/17
    BFP #2: 10/5/17; EDD: 6/11/18
  • @MoonOverGoldsboro window units are not an option at my mom's house because of how the windows open.
  • stephcat421stephcat421 member
    edited February 2018
    @doxiemoxie212 I surly couldn't live without AC and I'm only in the Midwest... Granted we have muggy summers that suck for breathing.  I'd imagine CA would be a little drier heat but at some point, hot is hot!

Edit-re wall unit removed
  • XtabbikatxXtabbikatx member
    edited February 2018
    @sunshineandwhiskey, I am 28 will be getting my tubes tied. This is my second child.  DH's 4th kid. I am 100% done. Doctor said they can just remove my fallopian tubes, or I can clamp, or cut and cauterize. I think I want to cut and cauterize. I don't like the idea of removing my body parts for some reason, and my friend told me that if you get them clamped right after birth, the fallopian tubes are swollen and then as they go down the clamps are not as effective. 
  • @doxiemoxie212 I can't imagine trying to adjust to a newborn and all the struggles that come with it and being hot on top of it all. But I also get really cranky if I'm hot. 
  • @doxiemoxie212 I'm sure our heat in PA is different than CA. But we dont have AC. Hot water/radiator heat... So wall units were estimated at 16k and we didn't want to do that. And we haven't bought window units yet. ('Yet'... we've been here 9 yrs. but the heat is only bad 2-3months max). DS wasn't a newborn in summer, so I am more concerned this year and what we'll do. I saw you said window units won't work for her. But have you seen those portable units that sort of just put a hose type thing through the window opening? My parents had one at their camp, not exactly sure how they work. I'm debating on one of those also just cause of our house layout.
  • @doxiemoxie212 I’m sorry I didn’t see your previous response before I wrote my reply! I’ve never used a portable air conditioner, but maybe you could try one of those? Or at least some fans? I do think you’ll want some way to cool down baby’s sleep area on especially hot days.
    Me: 34 
    Husband: 35
    Married: June 2007
    Son Max born 1/10/17
    BFP #2: 10/5/17; EDD: 6/11/18
  • @catlady1215 I used a portable one in our bedroom in our old house when DD was born. Our windows opened side to side so the other kind of units weren’t an option. It really worked great, but PSA: I had to set it in a shallow Rubbermaid tub because it did such a great job of dehumidifying the air, water would start to leak out of it's drain spout after several hours of use. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Haier-HPB08CMLWB-8-000-BTU-Portable-Air-Conditioner-115V-with-Remote-White-Factory-Reconditioned/48937360

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @doxiemoxie212 Does your mom's house have the windows that crank out? My dad has those and he was able to install a window unit by using a piece of wood over the whole top part of the window coming down onto the unit to hold it in. I'm not sure exactly how he did it but it works and I could get more info from him if you're interested. 
    *TW LC*

• @krashke honestly most don't open at all, but the ones that do are small and open 5-6 inches like this: 

(awning)
  • @doxiemoxie212 if you’re interested, I think you could make it work with a portable unit like I linked in my previous post, by placing the hose part in the bottom of the window and cutting a piece of foam insulation board to fit in the remainder of the window. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I just called my mom, and she said she's actually been researching A/C with a few vendors, but there is an EFFING NOISE ORDINANCE in her town that these vendors are saying makes it extremely difficult for them to be allowed to install A/C?? She's now looking into how much it would cost to replace and update her windows to accommodate window units, soooo... TBD...
  • @doxiemoxie212 would they allow him to use those days working remotely in baby's months 4-6? That way it'd be the fall and you can still visit as planned just later and not have to worry about the AC issue.
    Me:27 DH: 31 Married Since: 08/2016
    TTC: 08/2017 EDD: 6/11/2018 FTM
  • @sunshineandwhiskey I'll only be 24 when this LO is born (almost 25) but if I was getting a csection I'd probably get my tubes tied. She will be our second and I don't want to be pregnant again. If I have another vaginal birth like I'm hoping then H will probably be getting a vasectomy. We have talked about adoption if we want more down the road. 

Also, I don't think pregnancy is 10 months. Months aren't 4 weeks long. I just think that I'm due at the end of June and it's the beginning of February now, so I'm between 4-5 months. 
  • @ffw0617 the whole point is to not have to deliver in NYC since hospitals here don't guarantee private rooms for recovery (and cost a ton of money if you do get off the waitlist for them). His firm gives him 4 weeks of fully paid paternity leave, so that's not really a huge issue for us.