Options

Weekly Appointments [1/22]

2»

Re: Weekly Appointments [1/22]

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    amys614amys614 member
    edited January 2018
    @MoonOverGoldsboro total newbie question here: do they do an internal US to measure your cervix or can they see that on the abdominal? 

Congrats on the baby boy!

Edited bc words...
  • Options
    @amys614 - they checked my cervix as well - it was transvaginal for that scan.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

First Son - born 2013
    Second Son - born 2014 - Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS) and Double Outlet Right Ventricle (DORV).  First open heart surgery at 5 days old.  He's had 3 open heart surgeries and several other procedures and is currently doing amazing.
    Third Son - due June 9, 2018
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    @amys614 What @mytinc said—the cervix check is transvaginal, which is most accurate. My tech today compared my abdominal measurement with my transvaginal measurement “just for kicks” (this lady was a real piece of work, mostly in a good way), and it was actually really close, but apparently that’s not always the case.
    Me: 34 
    Husband: 35
    Married: June 2007
    Son Max born 1/10/17
    BFP #2: 10/5/17; EDD: 6/11/18
  • Options
    @mytinc @MoonOverGoldsboro thanks for the info! Good to know. I have my A/S tomorrow and am anxious anyways.  Is it standard to get this checked or did you have it checked for a specific reason? Should I expect one tomorrow?
  • Options
    izza2izza2 member
    edited January 2018
    @amys614 - My cervix has been measured at every ultrasound I've had so far. This is my first ptegnancy, no history of loss or preterm labour for me.

Me: 30 | DH: 34 | DSS: 14 | DS: 4
    PG #2, EDD 10/12/2023

• Options
    @amys614 I never had my cervix measured during my first pregnancy, which was totally uneventful till the end. My OB only recommends it when there are concerns or a history of preterm labor. I’m sure it depends on your doctor, but I guess in my experience, it was not standard. 
    Son Max born 1/10/17
  • Options
    @amys614 , This was the first time I've had a cervix u/s check, and this is my 3rd pregnancy. The tech said it was optional and up to me.  I said sure.  No history of preterm labor here.

First Son - born 2013
    Second Son - born 2014 - Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS) and Double Outlet Right Ventricle (DORV).  First open heart surgery at 5 days old.  He's had 3 open heart surgeries and several other procedures and is currently doing amazing.
  • Options
    Good to know ladies. I won't be alarmed if I see the wand now, thanks! Omgeeeee though, why am I so nervous for my A/S today. It's a good nervous I think, but still. My blood pressure is gonna be high and I will again have to explain that I am just a crazy woman and I swear at home all my readings are normal. *My body likes to think every notable or new situation in life, good or bad, is worthy of a fight or flight response, hence why I rountinely measure at home* Ahhhh. 
  • Options
    @amys614
    My early u/s were transvaginal as they gave the clearest picture in the early weeks (6-8). At my a/s they also did a transvaginal u/s to check my cervix, the radiologist told me she likes to do them just to get the most accurate measurement.
    Me:27 DH: 31 Married Since: 08/2016
    TTC: 08/2017 EDD: 6/11/2018 FTM
  • Options
    @amys614 I know it’s hard to not be nervous, but it’s going to be so fun! You’re going to get such a long look at that little babe. Can’t wait to hear how it goes!
    Son Max born 1/10/17
  • Options
    I made a comment at my AS about not remembering having my cervix checked with my last pregnancy and the tech stated that it became state mandated within the past few years so that is something to just know as well.
  • Options
    I wonder when that was put into place @kmurdock925.  I'm also in Ohio and my youngest was born in Sept 14.  My cervix hadn't been checked until this pregnancy either.

First Son - born 2013
  • Options
    @mytinc - not sure. I want to say she said 2 year ago which would be RIGHT at the cusp of my AS with DD1...I would have been 20 weeks around mid Feb 2016 I believe and I wasn't checked with her...
  • Options
    Good to know @kmurdock925.

First Son - born 2013
  • Options
    @amys614 is the lemon lime flavor kind of like a sprite or Sierra Mist? I've only ever had orange and it's always compared to orange pop so i wondered. I go tomorrow and I'm scared they'll have something else besides orange... orange I've handled a few times, nervous about a new flavor lol. And i hope it's cold!!!
    me:35 DH:34
    DS: born oct 2012
    TFAS: BFP #1 aug16. miscarriage sept16
              BFP #2 nov16 MMC dec16. d&c jan17
              BFP #3 sept17  EDD 5/31/18
    fingers crossed for our rainbow baby
  • Options
    amys614amys614 member
    edited January 2018
    @catlady1215 yes exactly like flat sprite except double the sweetness. It wasn't pleasant but definitely not as bad as what I was fearing. 

Edited to add: yes mine was cold so that helped I'm sure.  I have 14 min left and I'm dyingggggg of thirst. They had the police called because some man was causing a scene bc of his mom's insurance not working here. So at least that has passed some time and distracted me while waiting. Never can be too careful in this crazy world so I'm glad they called them, even though he was just being loud at this point. But for real. So.damn.thirsty. 
  • Options

@amys614 sprite is usually the only pop I drink. and not a huge fan of orange. so I kinda wonder if I'd rather the lemon lime then? or if it'll be to oddly flat/sweet and just ruin sprite for me lol.

the whole not drinking thing is the worst. that'll probably be the worst part tomorrow cause sweets are still alittle ehh for me, so I like to wash any down quick and I can't! it'll be a long 3 hours.

atleast you had some entertainment!! but seriously. now a days, you don't know who's rage will turn to a gun getting pulled. so I'm glad they called.

• Options
    @amys614 I didn't know you weren't supposed to drink water during the test! I started getting the shakes/head rush at mine from the sugar and the nurse totally gave me a cup of water to sip. Ooops!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Wait, can someone outline for me how the glucose test works? Chug sugary substance, and then.... sit in the waiting room for an hour? Is that right?
  • Options
    @doxiemoxie212 Generally yes, at mine last time it was in the main lab they wouldn’t let me leave to use the restroom during the hour in case I would eat or drink anything that would alter the results while I was in there (cuz I would want to quick chug something while in the bathroom that would definitely make my results look like GD for fun, right?).

I found out it’s in my OB clinic this time and they have you just drink it before your actual 24w appointment and then have you stick around a little longer to check afterward, so hopefully it goes a little better.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @doxiemoxie212 That's how it worked for me. Drank the gross drink, then set a timer on my phone for 55 minutes. Then, walked myself back to where they do the blood work and told the tech I was doing a glucose test and my hour was almost up. She moved me to the front of the line, took my blood, then I left.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    WAIT THEY DON'T LET YOU PEE? I can barely go an hour without peeing when I'm sleeping.
  • Options
    @LaceyBee522 my paper said this. I'm sure if you're going to be sick, a little bit of water isn't going to make it break the results but omg what I wouldn't have given for some water. I got up to go to washroom once and while washing my hands, envisioned sticking my head under the water!

@doxiemoxie212 pretty much. Where I went was our outpatient lab. So it's a mix of all kinds of people there for different things. They brought me back, verified my info, brought me a cup of cold sugar crap, watched me drink it. I was able to get it down in about 6 drinks. I did choke at one point so that was a fun coughing fit. But after I finished, handed me this sheet of paper, went in waiting room and told me to come back at said time. So I did, they knew who I was, sat me down, drew 1 tube of blood and on my merry way I went. I am home now, have drank like 20oz of water and still. So.damn.thirsty 
  • Options
    @amys614 Wow that is some organized ish! My doctor's office is so la-dee-da about it. Haha!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Also for first time glucose test takers like myself, I wish I would have known not to do this on a morning before work. I am in a serious crash and burn sugar coma right now and I'd much rather go back to sleep than have to take a shower and get ready in an hour. Try and do it on a day where you can just go home and rest for a while.  
  • Options
    I absolutely agree, don't do it before going to work. my first 1 hour was kinda mid day. so I was done with work for the day. all my 3 hours, I do on off days. you just don't know how you'll feel afterwards.
  • Options

My doc office has me sit in the waiting room for the hour.  A friend of mine's doc sent her home with the drink at the 24 week apt, gave her the instructions of when to drink/not to eat, etc so she could drink the stuff right before her 28 week apt so she wouldn't have to wait around.  That seems soooo convenient!

• Options
    I had one done at 12 weeks. My OB gave me the sugar drink and a list of instructions to take with me at our first appointment so I could drink it at home before my next appt. She recommended keeping it in the fridge so it was nice and cold. I had to drink it at home one hour prior to my appointment but needed to finish the drink within 5 minutes and also document my times. I got to the office and told them I was there for a blood draw for the glucose test and they took me back right away, did the blood draw and I was done. Only about 10 minutes total spent in the office. I don't remember my instructions telling me not to drink or pee though!
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Is it true that if you eat too much carbs/sugar in the days leading up to the test that it can alter it? Do you guys try to eat kinda low carb/sugar beforehand or does it not matter?
    DD born 6/21/2018
    DS born 9/24/2020
  • Options
    @elsie42 it all depends. you can't and really don't want to 'trick' the test. and its all about how your body processes everything anyway. But with that said, I wouldn't be eating a large bowl of spaghetti for dinner followed up with 2 donuts for dessert the night before. I've been trying to stay in moderation all week. I didn't stop eating carbs all together but just not over doing it these past couple days. And I'm definitely going to have my nighttime GD snack I always had to have with DS, tonight before I go to bed. apple and peanut butter.
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    I took my GTT at 2 pm, had pasta for lunch at 11:30, and passed. Then again, as has been said, if you have GD, the test should pick that up, regardless of how you eat, if you eat how you normally do. 

+1 to apples & peanut butter

***Looks like I have marginal placenta previa. I have to go back in 6 weeks to see if it's resolved itself, but Dr. is pretty confident things will look better next time, since it's still kinda early on and I haven't had any bleeding. 
  • Options
    @kfren you didn't have to fast before it?
    DD born 6/21/2018
    DS born 9/24/2020
  • Options
    @elsie42 Nope, it was the 1hour. I fast for the 3 hour GTT, though.
  • Options
    @elsie42 I ate completely normal up until the morning of the test. My doctor said it didn't really matter if I fasted or not, but just to not carb load the day of the test to avoid a false positive, but that really if your body is struggling with processing sugar, nothing you do is going to hide that anyways. I knew I'd get nauseous if I went with nothing in my stomach so I had 2 hard boiled eggs about an hour or 2 before my test.