August 2018 Moms

Can seatbelts harm the baby

Hi everyone! Paranoid mom to be here... today my car engaged its automatic brake ( wasn't necessary). My car lurched to a stop and my seatbelt dug into  my lower belly.  I'm so worried it hurt the baby.  Thoughts?

Re: Can seatbelts harm the baby

•  If that's the response you give a worried first time mom,  then you have no business being on this site.  Shame on you.  These discussion boards are meant to support,  uplift,  and share advice.  Stop trolling me and move on.  
  • Loading the player...
  • To be fair, OP did post a sweet message in response to the pics in the ultrasound thread a couple of weeks ago. 

Def. call your doc. But to ease your mind, I often read about how the baby is tucked in so snugly that it is more safe and secure than we could ever realize. But I am not a doctor, so I really don't  know...
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• Have a nice pregnancy everyone.  Clearly I'm not used to these online groups and discussion boards.  For your information I was just seeking a little reassurance from the group.  
  • Have a nice pregnancy everyone.  Clearly I'm not used to these online groups and discussion boards.  For your information I was just seeking a little reassurance from the group.  
    I’m in too good of a mood to say much here. But. Mmkay. 

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Nothing like a sobering reminder as to why I moved from active participant to lurker... sorry op, I also committed this deadly sin! 
    Oh, but I thought you were the expert on what these boards were for?
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• I'd call my dr and ask but as pregnancy progresses you should make sure the belt is sitting across your hips and across sternum.
  • Hi everyone! Paranoid mom to be here... today my car engaged its automatic brake ( wasn't necessary). My car lurched to a stop and my seatbelt dug into  my lower belly.  I'm so worried it hurt the baby.  Thoughts?
    QFP, just in case. 
  • Hi everyone! Paranoid mom to be here... today my car engaged its automatic brake ( wasn't necessary). My car lurched to a stop and my seatbelt dug into  my lower belly.  I'm so worried it hurt the baby.  Thoughts?
    Ignoring the drive-by nature of the post and only bc I have experience with studying biomechanics in car accidents during pregnancy, yes a seatbelt can hurt a fetus, but this usually happens in extreme decelerations or impacts from car crashes. Not knowing how fast you were going or how fast you stopped, this is probably a question for a doctor and you could request an ultrasound to see if everything is okay in there. 
  • Here’s a good lit review, I found it by googling.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3662299/