August 2018 Moms

GTYK 1/23

2»

Re: GTYK 1/23

• hoodwink89hoodwink89 member
    edited January 2018
    I met my hubby sophomore year in high school. I had just broken up with a boyfriend so my best friend thought it would be a good idea to go to a powder puff football game at another high school where she knew some people. We met with a big group and he was there. He looked hot and I thought there was no way this guy would be interested. We hung out all night and he asked me to come back for the football game Friday night (he wasn't playing since he cracked a vertebrae in his neck). I came back with my friend on Friday and immediately ditched her with a group and we went into the stands to watch the game. He was crazy and dancing in the stands and cheering it was so much fun! At half time he tried to kiss me, I told him that I don't kiss boys I am not dating (my 16 year old virginal self). He like to say that he thought I was a challenge and he was up for it lol. After the game he asked me out and I of course said yes! He was hot and I really wanted to break my no kissing rule lol. We hung out 3 days the next week and have been inseparable ever since. We went to different high schools but still spent a couple hours together everyday. He proposed on the 4th of July after we graduated and we were married the following August. We have been together 12 years and married for 8. We have our little lady who is 5 and a fur baby who just turned 8. We have been through some crazy but I wouldn't change it for anything! I love all of the love stories!
  • Loading the player...
  • I had just been through a few of those "first year of college flings" with a bunch of losers who definitely made me feeling pretty worthless. Myspace was still a "thing," although on the way out. I can't remember how I found DH on there but we did have mutual friends. We ended up talking on Myspace a little bit, and then he asked for my number. I honestly thought he was going to be a rebound because of all I had been through, but after our first date, I told my mom I was going to marry him. Obviously, with my stellar track record, she rolled her eyes. Lol. We've been together 10 years this year and married for 6. We got married 3 years to the day of our first date, on 11-11-11! 
  • I can't believe how many of you are married to your high school sweethearts!  I SHUDDER when I think of some of the tools I dated in high school. And college.  And my 20s.  :D
    Yup! It took me a long time to make good decisions about people I dated! Actually, I met SO when I was 28, so technically in my 20s, but the beginning of my 20s wasn't pretty.
  • @westphilly same - DH and I met when we were 26, but I'm here to tell you, from 20-26 was ugly.
  • was married to my high school sweetheart. Thank God I didn’t have kids with him.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Aww I love reading these stories! DH and I met through a mutual friend. I knew her because we both dated guys who were best friends and he knew her from high school. Her and I had just gone through break-ups and decided to go out for dinner and drinks, and we ended up at a restaurant that DH was working at. He came over to say hello to her and then later messaged her on MySpace asking about me (she totally embarrassed him and forwarded me the whole convo). We ended up messaging each other and went on a date but I was still a little hung up on my ex. For six months we went back and forth hanging out for a few weeks at a time, then kind of doing our own thing. We ended up spending a weekend together at his friends college and decided from there to make it official, almost 11 years ago!
  • High school sweethearts. We’ve been together 14 years and married 10.
    Married: August 2007
    DD1: Oct 2012
    DD2: Sept 2016
    DC3: Due August 2018
  • I love the MySpace stories!

i met my husband on OkCupid. We talked for awhile before we were set to meet. I actually cancelled on him at first because he didn't have a job or car and I didn't think that was a good start to a relationship. Cue a string of bad dates and I couldn't stop thinking about him. I decided to give it a shot and we bonded quickly over our love of music and beer. We got married in 2013 and had our first baby in 2016. 
    Image result for april showers meme

Hello from Detroit!

• We met at work. I'm a corporate health & wellness coordinator, and he is a curriculum developer/training analyst - we both work for the same telecom company. He was going through a divorce and joined my fitness center to get his health back on track (he had a minor heart attack 4 years earlier when he was 30). I had just started my position a few months prior and was excited to help someone with some serious health concerns. We just really hit it off, and started spending time together outside of work with a group of mutual friends.
    He didn't realize our first date was a date until it was over. He told me he planned to go to IKEA at the Mall of America to find a vanity for his 1/2 bath, and I totally invited myself along. Long story short, we've spent pretty much every day together since. Dated for a year, engaged for a year, the rest is history!
    Loved reading all your stories!
    Me: 28, DH: 40
    Married 9/28/13
    DS born 11/12/15
    EDD 8/13/18
  • These are fun to read!

My best friend and DH's best friend/roommate had been dating about 6 months - she brought me to their New Years Eve party and DH and I ended up spending the night together. He contacted me a week or so later and we went on our first date - I was worried it would be awkward but it was kind of a relief to know we already had that physical chemistry so I felt like we were more relaxed as a result. We have basically been together ever since, we got married and then our BFs ended up getting married a year later too :) I went abroad for grad school 9 months after we met but we did long distance for 10 months while I was away and when I got back, we moved in together and got engaged a few months later.

• @juliebird6 If I married my high school sweetheart, I'd be married to a trans woman who is a meth addict. It's a shame about the drugs because I honestly don't think she will live very long. 

I didn't know she wanted to transition when we were together, but I left because of the light recreational drug use and drinking that I didn't agree with. 
  • @Firemanswife11 Oh my! Your life certainly would have gone in a different direction!  :o
  • @juliebird6 If I married my high school sweetheart, I'd be married to a trans woman who is a meth addict. It's a shame about the drugs because I honestly don't think she will live very long. 

I didn't know she wanted to transition when we were together, but I left because of the light recreational drug use and drinking that I didn't agree with. 
    I can’t even imagine. Such a shame that she is struggling with drugs. I wonder if the drug use correlates with the struggle of being trans gendered? 
  • edited January 2018
    @ssthomps there are some pretty significant studies showing strong correlations with being anything but cis-gender and illicit drug use and alcoholism. 
    Edit: just to clarify, I think this is tragic. When I read it back to myself, it sounded weird and judgy. I'm tired.
    Me: 28, DH: 40
    Married 9/28/13
    DS born 11/12/15
    EDD 8/13/18
  • I’m late to this party but DH and I met for the first time our junior year of college (we were 20/21). We were at a mutual friend’s birthday party in New Orleans and didn’t really like each other. We went to different colleges, so he met our friend in high school and I met her in college. Most of the trip was her high school friends with 4 of us girls from college. We hung together and he apparently thought we were stuck up. I thought he was rude because he made no attempt to talk to us (he’s pretty shy). 

Flash forward to the following October, I went with her to visit her boyfriend. We went to a bar, and I went to the bathroom, came out, and couldn’t find any one that I knew. I spotted DH at the bar, knew I at least recognized him, walked over like I was totally confident, and was all, “Hey, how are you! I haven’t seen you in forever..” As if we were great friends. Liquid courage for sure because I’m pretty shy. He was super nice, we hung out the rest of the night. Started talking on the phone and instant messenger (who remembers instant messenger) and the rest is history. We both moved back to the place we were from ( same place) after graduation. He went to law school and it took him like 7 years to propose. But it was worth the wait! We’ve been married 7 years and have been together 14 years! 

I loved reading all of these!