July 2018 Moms

First Time Mom Check-in 1/23

How far along are you? 

Any appointments this week/last? How did it go? 

Rants/Raves?

Questions for FTM, STM+?

GTKY: What is the luckiest thing that has happened to you?

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

Re: First Time Mom Check-in 1/23

• How far along are you?
    16+5

Yesterday. Went well. LO's heartbeat is going strong.

Rants/Raves?
    Was informed yesterday at my appointment that I have gained too much already and now weigh approximately the same as a small moon. This doesn't bother me as much as it normally would because I know I've gained some muscle now that I'm able to get back to strength training as I'm finally cleared by my doc and physical therapist.

Questions for FTM, STM+?
    Maybe this is a stupid question, but DH and I both have a lot of allergies. In fact I carry an epipen for food allergies. I keep reading conflicting info about being able to pass down my allergies to the kiddo. Don't feel like I can get a straight answer from any of my doctors. Yes/No/Maybe. Might as well consult a magic 8 ball for as helpful as any of them have been. Anyone have real life experience with this?

Cheesy, but meeting DH. He's amazing and I literally could not do life with a different partner.
  • @noideawhatshesdoing Re: allergies. I'd suggest consulting with your LOs Peditrician (when you find one). It might even be a good question to ask if you decide to interview peds. I'm not surprised your OB or PCP don't have much for answers :/ I don't either but I'd definitely start with a ped!
  • Loading the player...
  • purplepelicanpurplepelican member
    edited January 2018
    How far along are you? 14 weeks today

Any appointments this week/last? How did it go? Had an appointment with the high risk MFM doctor last week (I take a medication that slightly increases the risk for fetal heart defects). Everything was looking good (although they can't check for heart issues until 18 weeks, so I have to go back). Baby was moving around and looking very healthy.

Rants/Raves? Grumpy about a work situation. I'm also grumpy because everyone is still bothering me about my decision to not find out the sex. I've been trying to handle it with humor, but it's still getting really old. 

Questions for FTM, STM+? Nah

GTKY: What is the luckiest thing that has happened to you? (Edited because I forgot to answer this one). Getting pregnant with this baby during a timed intercourse cycle. So many couples have do go through so much worse trying to have children. We were so damn lucky. 

@noideawhatshesdoing I used to see an allergist (doctor who specializes in allergies) for my allergies when I was a kid. Maybe schedule a consult with an allergist? I feel like someone who specializes only in allergies might have better insight into how allergies are passed down. 
  • How far along are you? 14w 2d

Any appointments this week/last? How did it go? Had my NT scan last week. Went well. Tried to get a sex scan however the umbilical cord was in the way and baby didn't fully want to cooperate, like usual. 

Rants/Raves? I'm just a bitchy mean prego. Would really like to be enjoying life and i can't seem to get there. 

Questions for FTM, STM+?

GTKY: What is the luckiest thing that has happened to you? I've survived cancer. 

• @beanship Tell those negative nancies giving you crap about not finding out the sex to take a long walk off a short pier and to suck a porcupine's peter. 

• @zombiehoohaa :D I did tell one person who keeps harassing me about it that, when she carries a baby for me, she can find out the sex. 
  • @zombiehoohaa Holy crap to your GTKY. That is incredible, and I am happy to see all is good now!

How far along are you? 15+2

Any appointments this week/last? How did it go? No appointments, but we did get our NIPT results and all looks good! 

Rants/Raves? The crib I was looking at on Amazon just went from $104 to $176 for no reason. How the eff does that happen?!?!

Questions for FTM, STM+? This may be an incredibly random question, but has anyone else noticed some swelling in their armpits?? I noticed it in the shower last night, and it doesn't hurt or anything, it is just kind of puffy. Sorry if this is the weirdest question ever :lol:

GTKY: What is the luckiest thing that has happened to you? Being successful on this final IUI. We were actually supposed to start IVF that cycle, but we last minute opted to do one more last ditch effort IUI instead so we could get a little more money together first. 
    Me: 32 DH:33
    Married 9/2015
    TTC #1 6/2016
    BFP: 4/21/2017 - CP
    Dx Unexplained IF 6/2017
    Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI 7/2017 - Cancelled (overstimulated)
    Letrozole + Ovidrel + IUI #1 - BFN
    Letrozole + Ovidrel + IUI #2 -BFN
    Letrozole + Ovidrel + IUI#3 - BFP! EDD July 15 2018
    Baby Girl H - July 22 2018

• How far along are you? 
    16+4 
    Well had a scare with cramping on Sunday and because my MIL is an OB we got right into L&D in the hospital to make sure everything was ok. Thankfully it was, cervix was long. Apparently every little thing with twins sends them into panic mode because of the pre term labor risk. Will be so happy if they make it here safe and sound. 

We we have an early anatomy scan on Thursday so hoping everything continues to be good. 

Rants/Raves?
    Just the anxieties that come with having twins...see above 

Questions for FTM, STM+?

So many things honestly, health of me and my family, things working out with my husband, so many lucky breaks to get to where I am in my career, having spontaneous twins...seriously thankful for the fortune I have received :)
  • How far along are you? 15w 7d

Any appointments this week/last? How did it go? Have my regular visit tomorrow, should have the NT scan in a few weeks

Rants/Raves? Weird co-workers not doing their job. 

Questions for FTM, STM+?  I feel like I always have tons of questions but I cannot think of any

GTKY: What is the luckiest thing that has happened to you? Surviving daily in Memphis lol
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • How far along are you? 
    15+5 

No appointments this week. 

Rants/Raves?
    So I moved- can’t remember if I mentioned it on this thread or another one. I moved in with my in laws to save money for baby among many other reasons. Anyway, so my life is chaotic with unpacking and finding space for all of our stuff. And everyone keeps telling me “not to stress”, which is nearly impossible. Also- I can’t lift/move anything. Our boxes are all super heavy, like even you strength training ladies wouldn’t want to pick the stuff up. I get shunned to only do the boring tasks of packing and then unpacking crap. I’d much rather help move stuff so it goes faster and then I feel like I am helping more. My little brother is coming tomorrow to finish the last of the stuff but it’s all just stressful. Oh and don’t even get me started on work. I just keep counting down the weeks. Until I have a day off - saving as much time as I can before baby. (Sorry for the long rant!) 

Questions for FTM, STM+?
    Anyone else keep getting asked if they lost weight?! I’m pretty sure I mentioned this last week, but more people came up to me today to say it, I’m a chubby girl as is, so I always have a belly. But I really think my bump is more evident now, and all these people keep commenting how good I look. I’m like- really now is when you wanna to compliment me lol. I know I should just take the compliment- I think it’s really just baby shifting things all around. 

This is such a great question- mine is not as great as the rest of yours but I’m putting it out there anyway. This past summer we went to an event with my parents that had one of those 50/50 raffles, I bought a small number of them and was somehow picked for the grand prize. It was like $800, that’s a lot of money!! I was so happy DH and I used the money towards a brand new couch (we’d been wanting that forever) 
  • @beanship I’m sorry people are being annoying. I feel like everyone I tell their next question is- if I’m finding out. I think part is just that’s the line of questions you ask someone when you find out their pregnant. It seems like people are being a little more rude about your decision. Look at the end of the day this is your pregnancy and your baby- do not pay any attention to those negative people. The people that truly love you and care about you will understand your decision- and hey if they don’t I say f-them all! You have us sisters here that support you!!! 

@devilcat139 I am so glad to hear your twins are doing well and being closely monitored. It sounds like your OB is amazing (is your mother in law your OB?) or do you just use her practice? 

@Pinky917 I have not noticed any odd arm pit situation- but I can’t say I’ve looked lol I’ll check and let you know tonight. Might just be another ones of those fun body changes. 

@noideawhatshesdoin I am pretty sure I gained weight since my last appointment myself, I know my appetite is increasing- with moving I honestly haven’t stepped on the scale. Everyone is different and everyone gains different amounts. My doc said she only want me gaining 10-15lbs. (Let’s see how that goes- my fingers are crossed!) anyway- if you are still strength training you are probably right and it’s most likely muscle! Don’t stress it, as long as baby and you are healthy focus on that. 
  • @catftm2018 we just use her practice (my actual OB is one of her friends who was like literally at my wedding) but she’s the head of it so the VIP treatment there and at her hospital has been invaluable. Seriously feel so lucky (great GTKY), especially reading posts here about how hard it can be to get seen and get scans and advice sometimes! 
  • How far along are you? 13w 4d

Any appointments this week/last? How did it go? Just left my appointment. Got to hear baby’s heart on the Doppler! This is now the normal part of the routine so I’m excited. Baby was perfect at 155 bpm. All of our results came back great as well thank goodness. 

Rants/Raves? I had been off the past couple of days for my grandmas funeral. It’s sad but she was also 98 years old which is damn impressive. She lived an amazing long life so it was more a celebration of her life than being sad about her passing. I took an extra day off today to recharge after everything so happy to just chill around the house today. 

Questions for FTM, STM+? 

GTKY: What is the luckiest thing that has happened to you? Outside of finding my amazing Hubby? I have no idea. He flew in and out of KY same day just so he can be with me at the funeral and fly back to NJ with me so I’m super lucky there. 
  • I remembered my question. At what point will my breasts stop growing? How do I know what size nursing bra to buy? Motherhood is having a great online sale today.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I remembered my question. At what point will my breasts stop growing? How do I know what size nursing bra to buy? Motherhood is having a great online sale today.
    Good question! No idea, TBH. But I'm sure Motherhood will have a lot more sales, like Memorial Day or even 4th of July!
  • Sorry for no formatting, I'm on mobile.
    I'm 16+4 today. Going for my elective ultrasound on Friday since otherwise my next one would be the anatomy scan! So far, everything has been fairly easy so I'm keeping my fingers crossed it continues like this.
     My question is, what is everyone doing for childcare? Wondering if most of us are going back to work of it there's mostly SAHM. I work from home so I'm planning on getting a nanny part time. But before that I'm also going to try and do it by myself (work+care for baby) by hopefully planning around my hubby schedule. Only for maybe 2 months until after the holidays (I go back to work in mid October).
    GTKY: finding my hubby so quickly after a sad divorce and getting pregnant right away on our honeymoon!
  • @myfairbump In my experience (and those of friends), your breast size will continue to fluctuate (now and after giving birth) and both breasts may not be the same size :s I found trying on bras in store to be the best bet to finding a comfortable size and a reasonable price. Underwire free bras also seem to allow for flexibility in fit. Bra extenders can buy more time for a current size too.
  • @kissableviv I'm taking 12 weeks and then going back to work, and then DH is taking 12 weeks leave so we'll be able to put off childcare for a bit. After that, I'm not sure. I work from home full time, but don't think my job would be conducive to having a baby at home since I'm on the phone or video conferences most of the day. Although I admit I'm tempted to give work +care for baby a try and see if I can swing it.

Otherwise we're undecided. I don't love the childcare centers that are close to our home. My mom and her husband live less than a mile from us, and he's retired so that may be a possibility one or two days a week. My in-laws are retired and MIL would love to take care of LO during the day, but it would be at least an hour drive each direction for her, so I don't see that as realistic. My former sister in law (brother's ex) is a nanny, and I'd love to hire her, even part time because she's amazing and then our LO and niece could spend more time together. I'm not sure I can afford her and also it might create a weird situation with my brother and his new wife (I hate the new one).

So many things to figure out!
  • @kissableviv I will also be taking 12 weeks then we will have find something (mid-october). I am leaning toward the daycare my nieces are in.  My SIL asked them last week and they are currently booked for infants until September!  So I need to get my booty over there and get a spot, but I've just been too busy. Hoping to get over there next week. My friend has said she would watch my LO, but she works nights full time and is in nursing school.  And she has a VERY rambunctious almost 5 year old daughter, that I quite frankly wouldn't trust around an infant.  My mom is nice enough to do Tuesdays since that is her day off, so that will save us a little bit on childcare costs (which are crazy!)
  • @kissableviv I will have about 5 months paid off work so taking that, then I get 5 weeks of daycare nearly free at the on-site day care at my office. After that will have to get a nanny at least 4 days a week. Was going to do daycare until we learned we were having twins, now it’s mkre cost effective to have a nanny. 
  • Awesome feedback! 
    @noideawhatshesdoing we don't have any family nearby. My mom is coming from italy and she will keep my DH and I alive the first 6 weeks while we keep the baby alive lol. My in-laws are in Texas and retired, and they have some disposable income so they'll be happy to come up a few weeks untill we hit January and can decide for daycare or nanny. Daycares I like are booked until January! Nanny isn't necessarily cost effective but I'd rather wait for daycare until he's a year old if we can. DH has 8 weeks paid off so that may help too! I'm not on conference calls often, so I wonder if I could swing it...it's going to be trial and error!
  • @moguippy childcare cost is seriously crazy. Fingers crossed we find a nanny we like who doesn't charge an arm and a leg!
  • For childcare we are using my MIL whom we just moved in with and my sister in laws mother. They will split the time each week and one mufhtvtale more days or less depending on their schedules, I’m just happy to have options at this point- eventually we will have to switch to daycare but I’m really hoping notnubril the baby is at least a year old. Fingers crossed we shall see childcare in NYC is insane. 
  • @kissableviv and @noideawhatshesdoing I'm curious how you would manage working from home+caring for the baby. Would your employer know? I may be working from home by the time the baby is born, and we just started thinking about childcare. I'm leaning more towards an in-home nanny who can watch the baby while I'm working. Daycares are at least $1300/month around here and I'm thinking I can get someone in-home for that price, plus I'd be more comfortable since I'd be in the house with them.
  • @ckmb_knottie honestly, I'm not sure I can manage it given my workload, and it isn't encouraged by my company for those of us that work remote. But I would like to at least give it a try and see if it is something I can handle. At least it takes some of the pressure off the immediate future. A lot of it would depend on how easy or not my baby is. Some are really easy and don't need a lot, so that may work out, but if LO is super fussy or has any special needs, it wouldn't be fair to work or the LO to try to take on both.

Honestly, I would actually love it if DH would quit his job at the end of his leave and be a stay at home dad. He's at a crummy job that doesn't pay well, has bad benefits and he hates it. We can live on my salary (we're so cheap anyway) I make more than twice what he does and he's on all my benefits, so he was going to quit and take some time off and then was going to look for a new job this year, but then we got pregnant and financially it makes more sense for him to stay put for now. He has a lot of sick time stored up that doesn't get paid out if he quits but he can use those hours during leave as a salary substitution. I'll confess, I'm working on him to be a stay at home dad, because he'd really enjoy life a lot more that way.
  • @noideawhatshesdoing that sounds like an awesome plan! I switched to this job 2 yrs ago from one that was super high-stress, long hours - and I'm still shocked/feel guilty about being able to work at home if I need to. It's such a great perk, so I'm glad to hear that other people have this opportunity as well.
  • @ckmb_knottie yes, I would tell my employer. It wouldn't be forever, and not even full time, it would be for let's say 2 weeks, then my in laws would come, then my DH would use one of his 8 paid weeks. It would be to just get us to January. 
    Also, my DH doesn't have to be at work until 10am. I can start as early as 7am. So he could take care of him for a bit in the morning. My hours aren't extreeeemely flexible but we're a small company run by two women so I'm sure I'll have the support. Once I figure out the nap schedule, I might be able to get by, plus it won't be more than 8 (non-consecutive) weeks until Christmas.

I honestly don't think a nanny will be cheaper than daycare. Rates here are between $15-$20 per hour. 

@noideawhatshesdoing I also make a lot more than DH BUT he has the amazing benefits. So not worth it for him to quit. Although we might get into a partnership with his dad and his new company so there's a chance he may quit his job next year and be pretty much self employed. It will depend on what they would offer him in this new venture:) he would actually love to be a SAHD.
  • How far along are you?
    I'm 14wks and 4 days! 
    I met with a midwife for the first time this week. I was very nervous, but it couldn't have gone smoother! I loved her personality and how she was very honest. 
    Rants/Raves?
    I've had a lot of backlash for my choice in wanting a home birth. (Being my first) I hate being told I can't do something before I even get a chance to try. 
    Questions for FTM, STM+?
    Anyone have a first time home birth, or try to? Second go around? 
    Becoming pregnant, I was told it wasn't going to be easy.  Such a blessing! :)
  • @kissableviv I can take up to 4 months for (unpaid) maternity leave, not sure how long I will take. I do have short term disability and something else I signed up for that help. I really hadn't thought too much about childcare, so now that's on my to do list! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited January 2018
    I'm 16 weeks and 3 days today.  No appointments until 18 weeks for a regular visit and, then, at 19 weeks for a hospital visit for a fancy-shmancy anatomy scan and US.  My hubs has a heart murmur and we had high risk results at our NT, so they are carefully looking at baby's growth and heart.  Needless to say, I'm anxious for that!

Glad someone asked about childcare.  I'm a teacher so I'm lucky to have most of the summer with the baby.  Still debating taking maternity leave, mostly because childcare is soooo expensive that the leave would help us a lot.  People keep mentioning to me that it is super competitive to get in at daycare centers and that I should start looking/applying now!  Is anyone else doing that now?  It seems so early!

ETA: The luckiest thing that has ever happened to me is getting my first date with my hubby and of course, getting lucky with this little one coming in a few months!  Still waiting on my big win in the lottery - fun GTKY, my grandma actually did win the lottery years and years ago!
  • @julybabybear I toured a few daycares last week, but was told I was the first one looking for October (I have 12 weeks leave). They told me I'd definitely need to make a decision/deposit by May -  but I'm sure it's different everywhere!
  • @ckmb_knottie Good to know!  I'm going to start doing my research.  Not many options for childcare in my neck of the woods.  I'm hoping to get lucky!