Trying to Get Pregnant

This is Us w/o 1/24

WARNING ****SPOILERS AHEAD****

The purpose of this thread is to discuss the show This is Us. I’ve put some discussion starter questions, but feel free to ask other questions and start other relevant discussions. This thread WILL have spoilers so if you have not yet see the episode from the week mentioned in the title, turn back now!

“That’ll Be The Day”

Did you cry? If so when/why?

Who is your favorite character?

Did you immediately check your smoke detectors after this episode?
DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::

Re: This is Us w/o 1/24

• Oh my god - love this thread!

Did you cry? If so when/why? I managed to hold myself together but it near killed me when he taped that note to Kevin's door. ugh

Did you immediately check your smoke detectors after this episode? .... basically. Luckily mine go off all the time so I know they work. But of course we watched this right before we were going to bed annnddd we had to turn the crockpot on over night last night. I seriously debated not doing it. Thanks for playing with my emotions, show.
  • Did you cry? If so when/why? OMG, I barely held it together. Almost lost it with all the dog stuff. and like @kristah2 - the note on the door "you owe us an apology". Plus, the scene where Kate tells Jack to not to stop trying to help her see herself the way he sees her - that practically did me in. I empathize with Kate SO much. Most of her stuff just brings me to the brink of tears, really hits home. 

Who is your favorite character? Jack!! and Kate. 

Did you immediately check your smoke detectors after this episode? No, but that's just because we moved in here less than six months ago and checked the detectors when we moved in. But you better believe I made a calendar reminder to check the smoke detectors and noted the battery size to make sure we keep on hand!
    *TW*
    Me: 38 DH: 41
    Married: 2016
    BFP #1 4/23/18, blighted ovum 5/29/18
    BFP#2 7/14/18, DS 4/5/19
  • Loading the player...
  • Did you cry? If so when/why? Not this time.

Who is your favorite character? I love Rebecca. I feel like her relationship with Jack echos parts of my relationship with MH.

Did you immediately check your smoke detectors after this episode? No. But I do need to rearrange some of my detectors. The one in the kitchen goes off all the time (I swear I’m not a bad cook) and I need a smoke/CO detector in our living room near the fireplace.
  • YAS.

Did you cry? If so when/why? Yup. Started getting teary as soon as I began hypothesizing **Spoiler alert if I might be right, who knows*** why Kate thinks Jack's death is her fault and the large increase in the dog storyline.***end possible spoiler alert. Then cried through the end.

Who is your favorite character? Can Randall and Beth's relationship be my favorite character? Does that count?

Did you immediately check your smoke detectors after this episode? No but I am making H quadruple check that everything is off and unplugged at night. We always did this, but now we have to EXTRA do this.
  • Do we know yet what happened to Kate’s dog? Did he die in the fire too? I don’t quite get why she was anti-dog all of a sudden.
  • @meggyme My guess, which makes me beyond sad, is that Jack runs back in for the dog and doesn't make it out.
  • @chopchop25 Ah!!! That makes a lot of sense actually. I was so confused because she had a dog and all of a sudden she doesn’t want a dog.
  • Did you cry? If so when/why?  I cried so much, but I am a hormonal mess right now.  Kate leaving the dog, Randall not staying for the super bowl, way too much.  

Who is your favorite character?  My favorite is Jack.  He is imperfect, so human, but perfect at the same time.  Randall and Beth are a close second.

Did you immediately check your smoke detectors after this episode?  We have had our CO detector go off a few times lately, so smoke detectors have recently been checked.
  • LOVE this thread. Thank you @meggyme. And @chopchop25 That makes so much sense and didnt realize it until now that you said that. ahhhh my heart!

Did you cry? If so when/why? A couple times, when Kate was at the shelter and Audio slowly crept out of the cage and also when Jack left the note on Kevin's door. I dont know why I cried with the dog part but I cry at anything lately. 

Who is your favorite character? Love Jack, of course but I really like Toby as well. He tries so hard with Kate and just genuinely loves her.

Did you immediately check your smoke detectors after this episode? I didnt, but ours are so old so I MAY need to buy new ones now. We have 12 foot ceilings so it is such a task to get up there. 
    TTC journey in spoiler
    Me: 29 | DH: 31
    Married: 08/2016
    TTC: 10/2017
    IUI #1-3 BFN
    IVF 11/2018- 23 eggs retrieved, 16 mature, 14 fertilized with ICSI with 7 embryos making it to freeze
    FET #1 02/2019 BFN
    FET #2 4/19 BFP!!!!! EDD 1/4/20  <3

• MH and I finally watched it tonight...this show gets me every time!

Did you cry? If so when/why? Not as much as normal, but the dog adoption/storyline is what got me this week. 

Who is is your favorite character? I think Rebecca...she is such an imperfectly perfect mother. She tries so hard and would do anything for her family. 

Did you immediately check your smoke detectors? No...but we should. We have changed the batteries in a couple of them recently but need to check the others. I’m going to steal @catlady2015 idea of setting myself a 6 month calendar reminder!
    Me:29 DH:30
    Married:10/2012
    TTC #1: 12/2017
  • @chopchop25 that’s a really good theory. I was trying figure out how only he does if everyone is home but Kevin. That makes sense. 

Did you cry? No, but I will next week if that theory is correct.

Favorite Character: Randall lol He’s so unpredictable. 

Did you immediately check your smoke detector? No, but I just did it at the beginning of the month.

This show is so good!!!

• Did you cry? If so when/why? Not full blown tears this episode because they had been hinting to this for a while. But I sure did tear up as soon as he flipped the crock pot switch to low instead of off. And continued to tear up as they did the slow burning of everything. UGHHHHHHH.

Who is your favorite character? TOBY! He is just so freaking adorable and loveable and patient and sweet! 

Did you immediately check your smoke detectors after this episode? No...DH and I literally just finished watching it...so I'll have that on his honey do list for this weekend. Haha. Ugh. It's my biggest fear for the house to catch fire while we are sleeping at night. I actually had so much anxiety a few weeks ago and I woke up one night in a major panic attack because I thought I smelled smoke and thought the house was on fire. I don't know what my deal was or where that came from. But it was terrifying. I also am crazy about making sure everything is turned off at night.
    Me: 32 | DH: 33
    Met: 2005 | Started Dating: 2009 | Married: 2013

TTC#1: 06.2014;   BFP: 12.2015; DS Born: August 16, 2016
    TTC#2: 12.2017; BFP: 02.26.2018; CP 03.02.2018
                                BFP: 04.26.2018 DD Born: December 26, 2018
    Surprise Pregnancy #3; BFP: 01.11.2020; Due Date: September 19, 2021

• You guys! I marathoned the last 3 episodes tonight just for this thread. Phew!
    @chopchop25 That's exactly what I was thinking about the dog story line.

Did you cry? If so when/why? Of course! When Kate brought the dog home and showed it to Toby, and when the fire started at the end. 

Who is your favorite character? I  <3 Kate and Toby. They are so cute together and feel like such real people to me. 

Did you immediately check your smoke detectors after this episode? No, only because ours started beeping in the middle of the night a few days ago so we replaced the batteries immediately after that. 

The Internet spoiled this episode for me with all the talk about crock pots and This is Us. I was able to put 2 and 2 together to figure out what was being implied. I think it's kind of interesting that so many people (according to the Internet at least) are saying they're going to throw away their crock pots just because of a TV show! I mean, I get that it's scary to think about something like that happening, but I wouldn't throw away an appliance because of it (unless of course it was malfunctioning, and then of course you should get rid of it). But of course, people have to be comfortable in their own home and I get that things like this can cause anxiety. 
    *TW*
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD1: 8/2014  <3
    TTC #2: 6/2017
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
    BFP 10/16/2017 | CP 10/21
    BFP 12/18/2017 | CP 12/28
    BFP 2/15/2018 | EDD: November 2nd | It's a girl!
    DD2: 10/2018  <3
  • @offtoneverland people need to realize that they got that crockpot as a gift when Rebecca was pregnant so that thing was 18+ years old!!

@chopchop25 I was thinking the same thing, especially because Kate had said in an earlier episode that her fathers death was her fault. 

Did you cry? If so when/why? No but I got close when they kept implying all of the dog stuff. 

Who is your favorite character? Beth!! She is so strong and has the best lines. 

Did you immediately check your smoke detectors after this episode? No, because we recently changed all the batteries but I did tell DH that obviously I’m not crazy for double checking that everything is turned off and unplugged every night!
    TTC History
    Me: 35 DH: 34
    Married 07/2012
    DD born 07/2014
    DD2 born 10/2018
    DS born 10/2022

IF history:
    TTC #2 since January 2016
    June-Aug 2017: 3 IUIs w/Clomid = BFN
    Sept 2017: Dx w/Endometriosis
    Oct 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Nov 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Dec 2017: pre-IVF testing
    Jan-Feb 2018: IVF--17 eggs retrieved, 13 fertilized, 9 frozen and 1 transferred on 2/10 = BFP on 2/19!!! EDD 10/29/2018
    FET Oct 2021: BFP on 10/31! MC at 5 weeks
    FET Feb 2022: BFP on 2/15! EDD 10/29/22

• @offtoneverland and @shortstack930 I agree! And not only did they have it for 18-ish years when the old man gave it to them it was old and he said you need to giggle the knob a bit so it was already not working properly then! 
    So unless your crock pot was a million years old and made in like the 80’s when safety standards weren’t as high I wouldn’t worry. 

It did freak me out a bit to turn ours on over night that night but I got over it. It’s brand new. If crock pots were burning a lot of houses down they would be pulled off the market. 
  • See, that’s not how I expected the crockpot to catch fire. I thought it was going to be because they left it on all night and the chili somehow caught fire. I wasn’t expecting an electrical fire for some reason.
  • I thought it had also been established that the wiring in the house is pretty bad...wasn’t Jack trying to fix something a couple of episodes back? Now THAT is what makes me super nervous because the wiring in my parents’ house is also terrible and they won’t have anyone come look at it. 

I mentioned that to Mom this week and she said, “Yes, but all our smoke detectors are working!” How comforting...

Did you cry? If so when/why?  I teared up when Kate was watching the tape and saw her dad’s expression. Also when Kevin called home and didn’t talk to Jack. And probably a million more times I’m not remembering right now. This show!

Who is your favorite character? I’m amazed that some of you like Toby. Toby was really the worst when he first showed up, and maybe he’s gradually redeeming himself, but only maybe. Randall and Beth together are my favorites, closely followed by Kevin (Though this is probably because I remember Justin Hartley from the amazingness that was Passions. Anyone else here old enough for that?). 

Did you immediately check your smoke detectors after this episode? No, we already “checked” them recently. And by “checked” I mean “accidentally set them off by burning something on the stove”.
  • @offtoneverland people also need to realize that the dish towel is real big part of the fire. If it hadn’t been next to the crockpot, the fire may have never spread.
  • I’m finally caught up. I had read a spoiler accidentally so I kinda knew the whole time what was going on, I think from now on I’ll be watching the episode the night it airs.
    I also agree that people going crazy about the crockpot is a little extreme. But in today’s world no matter what started the fire people would go crazy and boycott it. 

Did you cry? If so when/why? Has anyone watched a single episode and not cried!?! I did when Kevin and Sophie were talking on the steps, when Kevin called and didn’t talk to Jack, when jack hung the note on Kevin’s door, and when Kate was watching the video and saw Jacks reaction. Maybe next time I’ll list the times I didn’t cry :)

Who is your favorite character? Don’t make me pick just one, seriously I love all of them except “older” Miguel and Rebecca. I think Mandy Moore does a phenomenal job as young Rebecca but I just can’t handle the makeup they use to make her old and maybe I’ll like Miguel more when they tell us how their relationship came about after Jacks death, but right now...nope!

Did you immediately check your smoke detectors after this episode? We had actually just checked ours last week.
  • @nmbrcrnchr1 there’s been a couple episodes I haven’t cried for, including this one. I was on the edge of my seat and stressing out during the fire scene, but I didn’t cry.
  • @Augusta108 Am I just forgetting something regarding Toby? I swear I have been saying since the beginning that I loved him. He had a weird sense of humor since the beginning, so it was hard to understand his personality at first, but it was soon easy to see.
    @cdepperschmidt Yes! The towel! They did make that a big deal by showing the past when she opened the present.

And yeah episodes ago where the wiring in the house was being fixed my Jack when the lights went out, we knew that would be the problem, but crazy it ended up being the crock pot! Which, is still technically an electrical fire. But would that be the houses wiring causing that or just the crock pot itself? Poor Jack. Because he turned the knob to where the light went off he THOUGHT it was off, but it was on low instead. After he left, the bulb turned back on. I don't think the bulb itself would cause the fire. But I know very little about electrical fires.

• @Whitmore1027, at the start of the relationship Toby was super pushy and frequently told Kate her feelings were unimportant and that she owed him something because of all his big romantic gestures. 

This article hits on a lot of the things I don’t like about him:

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/tv/a12655092/this-is-us-toby-terrible-boyfriend/
  • I agree that Toby was a little too entitled to Kate and way pushy in the beginning, but I love their relationship now.

I don’t think the house wiring caused this electrical fire. It would have been the switch on the crockpot. I originally thought the tv cabinet he was working on was somehow going to be what caused the fire.
  • You guys are probably right that the wiring thing was a red herring. It just really freaked me out because pretty much every outlet in my parents’ kitchen is acting up!

I do think Toby has gotten a lot better this season than he used to be. I just found him so obnoxious early on that it’s going to take a while for me to fully warm up to him.
  • @meggyme Yes! I really though it was going to be faulty wiring with the tv. Also, when everyone kept abandoning Jack I though he was going to fall asleep alone on the coach and then die in a fire.
  • @Augusta108 darn!! I must have completely blocked out all that. Well. I gotta think of my new favorite character. Lol. 

• @cdepperschmidt hahaha!

I did just submit the recall for my kidde fire extinguishers. If anyone has one, some of them were recalled and they’ll send you a new one.
  • @meggyme I have been needing to buy a fire extinguisher, I keep putting it off even though not having one is stressing me out so much. Haha. Is that generally a good brand besides the recall?

• meggymemeggyme member
    edited January 2018
    @Whitmore1027 Yeah, they’re pretty well know. I think the recall is more preventative, since this is a safety device. Basically the plastic handle ones took too much force to activate, so they redesigned them. Most fire extinguishers you see around will be kidde. You’ll want a small (I think ours is 3lb) CO2 fire extinguisher for household use. They cover all types of fires.
  • @meggyme Thank you! I feel better prepared to buy one now!

• Just finished the episode. Now I need to catch up on this thread. 
  • Did you cry? If so when/why?
    The second Jack taped the note to Kevin's door until the credits rolled. It got me right in the heart  because we just sold our house and had to say goodbye to all the memories we made there. Not the same as a fire obviously and no died, but it got me. This show always makes me cry.  It's even worse 

Who is your favorite character? Jack! And Beth! 

Did you immediately check your smoke detectors after this episode?
    Lol no,  but again so many tears and softly sobbing no oooooo