August 2018 Moms

GTYK 1/23

So I love a good love story. Where did you meet your SO and how did you get to where you are today? 

August 18 Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

Re: GTYK 1/23

• Loading the player...
  • lolog531lolog531 member
    edited January 2018
    I had just moved downtown Chicago after finally getting out of my hometown (which I had moved back to for a dbag ex boyfriend). My cousin's friend from college brought DH, who also went to college with them, out one night to tag along since he'd just moved to Chicago, too. I didn't think much of it because I was casually seeing someone else (who also turned out to be a dbag). Forward 2.5 weeks later the friend and I are smoking outside a bar while we're all out and she asked what I thought about her friend because 'he'd been asking about me'. So, a little tipsy, I asked for his number, texted him right then and there. We continued to text all night and the next day. 2 days later he and the friend invited me out to watch their college's basketball team with a huge group of people, so I went. DH and I ended up getting late night food at a diner until and sat there talking until about 2 am (on a Tuesday). We haven't gone a day without talking since and that was 8 years ago this month.
    Me: 34 DH: 37
    DS: 5.28.15
    DS#2: EDD 8.31.18

• DH and I met so randomly.  I thought I was meeting a girlfriend for dinner at B-Dubs, and when I showed up, she had this dude in tow.  She swears it wasn't a set up, but we clicked instantly.  She says she felt like the 3rd wheel on our first date.  When we all left after dinner, he and I made plans to go to the bar with my friends the following night (LOL back when I was still cool and did social things), and we literally have spent like every day together since then. We met in 2011.  I actually was casually seeing someone else when we met, so I immediately texted this other guy and just told him, no hard feelings but I think I met "the one."  And then I set up the guy I dumped with a mutual friend and now they are talking about getting married.  Wild.
  • We met on the dating website “How About We” but once we started talking, found out we actually knew a bunch of mutual people, imcluding my own brother. It is definitely a small world.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• If you ask him I was his substitute teacher. We actually met when one of the freshman girls I 'adopted' my senior year introduced me to her SO, which is my now H. I subbed his classes his 9th &10th grade years, then we started dating his senior year. We were off and on for 3 years, mostly on he just didn't want to be labeled as engaged at 18-20. We got married a month shy of our 3yr anniversary, and have been married for 3.5 years. 

Its always interesting to see peoples reactions to 'She was my teacher.' Makes for some fun conversations. 

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• This thread is making me all teary eyed at work... awwww!

DH and I met at work. Womp womp. In fact, we were on sister programs for a while and he was the new guy learning the ropes when we had our first... erm... encounter. I yelled at him. A lot. For not doing something rightthissecond. So he hid from me for like a year. But then we started talking randomly, realized that we had a ton in common and were pretty awesome together. We were quite the source of workplace gossip for a while! Oooh those rumors would fly when we carpooled together lol!
    Aug '18 Siggy Challenge - April Showers

Me: 37   Him: 38
    Married 11.07.2015

Pregnancy Ticker
  • DH and I met when at a private Christian school. The whole school had less than 20 students. We didn't really speak to each other and definitely weren't friends. I was 12 and he was 13. I only attended the school for 6 months until I moved from NH to Florida. A few years later I tried to find him on Myspace and couldn't find him. A week later I got a friend request from him and we starting IMing each other.. we were 15. haha We then began long distance dating. We've been together over 10 years and married for 8 years in July.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • We met on OkCupid. When I met DH I was pretty close to giving up and adopting a million cats. I made four last dates- one for each Friday and Saturday in the last two weeks of March. DH was my week two Saturday date. Prior to making the date, he had been trying to call me, but I hate talking on the phone so I avoided all his calls. Like two days before our date he finally got me on the phone and we chatted for two hours. 

We were hooked from the moment we met. We moved in with each other about a month later, and got married just over a year later (just in time for him to deploy for a year). We'll be married for two years in June!
    Me: 28 DH: 29
    Married: 6/2016
    TTC #1: 12/2016
    Benched due to deployment- Off the bench 8/8/17!

• DH actually dated my high school friend before me. We got to know each other in the acquaintance sense. He asked me out after they broke up, and she was cool with it, so yeah. We’re still going strong almost 12 years later. Ironically, that high school friend ended up dating my ex after hs and had a baby with him. They’re not together anymore though. (Small town living = I still hear the dirt on all my ex’s.) 
  • DH was studying abroad in Ireland when I was in my first year in college back in ‘03/‘04. Been together ever since, lots of long distance and living in different countries but settled here for now! 

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hubby and I met in an online German chatroom in 1997 of all places. He was in his first year of college, I was still a senior in high school. We immediately hit it off and were soon chatting non-stop. I'd run home from school and hop online, yay dialup, and we'd chat for hours. Come to find out we played on the same MUD (multi-user dungeon), a text based online multiplayer game as well. 

The next summer, after I graduated from high school he drove all the way from Montana to my tiny little town in Southern Indiana, in his 1979 Camaro and stayed for a few weeks before I went to college. I'd never had a boyfriend, never really wanted one so it was a surprise to find myself falling for him. He was kind of the same, and we just "clicked". 

My parents hated him. Looking back with more life experience under my belt, I think that was more because I was their only daughter and they didn't want to see me grow up and move away.

I went to college that fall and he came to stay with me for a month after the Christmas break in my dorm room, co-ed dorm so rules were whatever. My folks still don't know about it. lol

After my first year at college, I hated it. It was more expensive than I could afford and ultimately I learned nothing that I didn't already know, so I left. I wrote this big long letter to my parents and left, I moved out to Montana with him. Eventually we moved back here for work, and now we're contemplating moving back because Indiana sucks.

All the crazy things you do for love. Nearly 15 years later....here we are. :)
  • @neeraja_k Okay now I must know! What MUD? DH and I spent like a bajillion hours on Medievia when Evony started fizzing out. We still go back on for nostalgia's sake.
  • @mrslittlemac LOL! It was Aliens VS Predator. We still log on our old characters now and then for nostalgia. 

We also played Evony for a while, but it got too many drama llamas and we left. Now we mostly play Minecraft together with our nephew. 

We played a lot of the same games over the years, but he gets bored easily. I still mostly play Eve Online and Warframe. 
  • Ah! Cool!
    That was our experience too, with Evony. And when they merged servers it just turned into a bucket of Nope. We mostly do LAN games together, the only MMO we still get into now is GW2. Yay for quality time together! Lol.
  • @neeraja_k @mrslittlemac OMG I used to play on a MUD too - it was a Star Wars one but I can't remember the name.  I play a lot of Civ 6 right now - I used to play a ton of WoW (and still have my account) but with work and grad school, I couldn't devote any time to it anymore.

H and I met online - I think it was through Yahoo Personals? Back when that was a thing. I did a lot of online dating and literally went out with every guy who asked. Looking back that was dumb, but I was young and wanted free dinner, so I did it.  A lot of them were duds or weirdos. H I actually spent time talking to for weeks before we met up - and I really liked him. He was smart and silly and cute. The rest is history - we've been together 10 years and married for 5. 

• Ah! Cool!
    That was our experience too, with Evony. And when they merged servers it just turned into a bucket of Nope. We mostly do LAN games together, the only MMO we still get into now is GW2. Yay for quality time together! Lol.
    H plays guild wars all the time! Interesting how small of a gaming world we have here.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• I really, really tried GW2 I did...and I hated it. I played GW from the day it came out and it felt like it sold itself out to the WoW crowd, which I always enjoyed that Guild Wars felt more adult. I'm still sad. Lol
  • I love how different everyone’s stories are!!
  • DHs girlfriend was one of the first girls I met when I moved to the area. Everything i heard from her about him made him seem like a major asshole and I never understood why they dated. They were always breaking up and getting back together and it was a drama filled thing.

Well eventually her and I grew apart and we weren’t really friends anymore. I actually saw DH on a weekly basis from a core group I hung out with. But still never had any interest in him. 

I was about to graduate college and was thinking about grad school. He was the only person I knew that was getting his MBA so I reached out to him via FB messenger to learn about the application process studying for the mcats etc. And from there it just organically grew into a relationship. I still was not sure about dating him but he kept proving over and over again he was nothing like I thought! About a month in we knew we’d get married and moved in together around 6 months and got engaged at a year or so. Been married for almost 7 years now!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • derbysquirrelderbysquirrel member
    edited January 2018
    DH and I met when he first moved to Oregon and came into the local game store looking for a group to play Dungeons & Dragons. I invited him to join our group. That was July, 2005. At the time he was married with two small kids (7 and 5), and I was in a LTR. We were gaming friends for several years before a relationship was ever a thought. A few years later I moved away for school, and he ended up getting divorced. When I moved back to town a couple years later he got back in touch with me (over MySpace) and we started hanging out again. He asked me out, but I turned him down because I was 23, and he had two kids (now 11 and 9). I didn't want that kind of commitment. I had recently dated a guy with a kid, and it kind of sucked. Eventually after spending more time together with our common friend group I decided he was worth the risk and I agreed to date the third time he asked me out. I'm really glad I went for it because I really couldn't imagine what direction my life would have taken if I hadn't joined into the family when I did. We've been living together since my 24th birthday, so just over 8 years, and my step kids are now 20 and 17. We were married in 2012 and the kids were our best man and maid of honor.
    Me:32
    DH:45
    DSD: 20
    DSS: 18
    Team green baby due: Aug 6th, 2018

Pregnancy Ticker
  • DH and I met several times fleetingly during high school - he was dating my best friends best friend from grade school (if that makes sense). We didn't get along and I distinctly remember calling him a douche bag to his face on one such meeting. But then the summer after we graduated high school something clicked and there was some attraction. He courted me all summer even though I was still with my high school boyfriend, and ultimately the September of our freshman year in college I finally left my ex and the rest is history!

We dated for 7 years before getting engaged, which drove me nuts after we graduated college. But we got engaged on Christmas and married the following October because I wasn't waiting another year :-)

We've been together for 13 years now and married for 4 which is crazy to think about. We had DS two years in.

August '18 March Siggy Challenge - You had ONE JOB

Pregnancy Ticker

• I had recently ended a 2 year relationship with a verbally abusive psycho path, and had a string of bad luck on Plenty Of Fish. I had given up and randomly got a message from DH. We met, and he talked my ear off and he was very forward. “So, what do you think of me?” was his first question - I also think it was the first time he took a breath. He was super nice. I wasn’t used to that. We played COD, and at the time, I had been single for awhile and was enjoying my alone time so he would come over for a bit and then I would make him go home and we would play COD for hours. He always wanted to hang out and he had started to annoy me. My mom said something to me, like... “he’s not the type you would normally date. Maybe this is a good thing.” We fell in love quickly! We dated for 9 months before he proposed and then were married 9 months later. This our 3rd together, and he has a 8 year old from a previous marriage. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited January 2018
    We met in elementary school. He says he always had a crush on me. In junior high, his family moved a few miles away and I heard of him occasionally. My sister actually went on one date with his older brother 20+ years ago. But, I never paid attention. 

I joined the  military and met the man who is now my ex-husband, we were married for 14 years and had three girls. 

I moved back home after the divorce and I wasn’t here a few months and he hit me up on Facebook.  I totally gave him the runaround because I wasn’t really interested in meeting anyone but he persisted and after a couple months of talking we finally went out. 

He  was married after high school for a few years and him and his ex-wife could never have a baby, and his ex-wife had led him to believe that it was his fault.  He had come to terms that he would never have a child and is absolutely amazing with my three girls because my ex-husband lives across the country and never sees them. 

Well surprise surprise about eight months after we started living together we found out we were pregnant and him and his entire family is super excited. 

We talk about marriage but I’m not in any hurry to get remarried anytime soon and we already live together so we basically are married. Lol.  He gave me a diamond ring on my birthday this year (1-1, right after we got pregnant) but he assured me it was not an engagement ring but more or less a promise ring and that when we were ready someday he hoped that we would get married. I definitely see that happening. But I’ve told him I need at least a year postpartum. Lol. Maybe fall 2020. Idk. No rush. I love him so much. He’s my rock. And I’m incredibly grateful that we are having this baby. 

• Aw this is a nice one :)
    Hubby and I met at the birthday party of an ex-mutual friend. I really liked him, we started chatting on MSN and our relationship grew from there. We've been together almost 9 years now and married for almost a year and a half :)
    Me: 26, DH: 26
    TTC #1 since July 2016
    Dx: PCOS, on Metformin since Feb 2017
    • June 17 - Letrozole - BFN
    • July 17 - Letrozole - BFP - MMC confirmed 30/08
    • November 17 - Letrozole - BFN
    • December 17 - Letrozole - BFP!

Pregnancy Ticker

• All of these stories are so beautiful. Hearing about couples standing strong through hard times and the serendipity of it all really bring me to tears. 

Well, my SO and I met at a bus station in IA. Neither one of us lived in IA. Serendipity! Lol He was too shy to talk to me, which was so endearing. He had the nerve to ask for my phone number, though. We dated long distance for 6 months and have been living together for the past 2 years. I must say, we managed to change each other for the better and learned to thrive during tough times.

Highlight Reel... We've travelled the country for at least 3 months/year since we met. We have a Border Collie pup named Lyla, we just got engaged, and we're 11 weeks pregnant. Yay!
  • I messaged DH on okcupid, as a last ditch effort at dating. At the time, I was living 2 hours away from my hometown, in the middle of farmland. DH and I soon realized we were from the same hometown, just missing each other in high school due to being five years apart. I was best friends with his cousin in high school, and even went to college together, not paying any attention to her older cousins. We had many mutual friends in common, and always just seemed to miss each other. 

It also turns out that DH and I work in the same field, and had attended the same large trainings and meetings, just never realized it. It times like this that I believe the universe puts people in your life at particular times for particular reasons. We started dating in 2014, moved in together in 2015, bought a home in 2016, and eloped in 2017. 
  • DH and I went to middle school together.  He was friends with my twin brother, they played yo-yos together.  I don't remember a whole lot about him from middle school, except that I refused to work with him on a project in 8th grade English because, as I announced to the whole class, he was mean.

We ended up with the same group of friends in high school, and became good friends.  I got a crush on him junior year because I thought he was smart and funny and really brave to wear tights and a short little tunic in a play in front of the entire school.  Senior year, I finally got the nerve to ask him to prom.  A couple days later (before we had gone to prom) he asked me out on a date.  We started dating, but I went off to college out of state.  After two years of driving 4 hours to see him every other week, I transferred to his school and we moved in together.  We've been together 15 years in April, married for 6 in June.  DS just turned 2.  People thought it was strange that we waited so long to get married, but I think we did it at the right time.  We got together so young, it was good for us to grow up a bit first.
  • These stories are great! 

DH and I were friends in high school. He was my best guy friend and the year after graduation we both wanted something more but were two scared to do anything about it for fear of losing our friendship. One night his older brother had a party and DH, with the help of some liquid courage, made his move. Basically after that kiss we have never been apart. We have been together for 17 years and will be married for 8 in June. We have grown up together and have had hard times but it has all led us to where we are today so I wouldn't change a single thing.   
  • DH and I met on Okcupid. We texted every day leading up to our first date a week later. I already had a good feeling about him, but when we met he told me that he was technically still married. He was in the Marine Corps and got married young, but he was going through a divorce. He reassured me that it was definitely over and his soon-to-be-ex was even out of the country. I took a chance and we had a great time talking all night. We walked back to my place after and he became the first guy I ever slept with on the first date. We've been together pretty much ever since then. I basically moved into his apartment after the first week, we bought a house 6 months later and were married a year after that. We'll be married 4 years in May. 
  • DH and I grew up in the same small town, but didn’t know each other then, just had mutual friends. We met after living in San Francisco for years and being in the same friend circles. We always had chemistry but I always had boyfriends and at the time DH was too wild and immature for me, he was the life of every party. I moved to New York after a bad break up and eventually came back to SF. The moment (the actual night) I got back to SF, DH was calling me to hang out. He and a bunch of friends and I went to a show and I knew then that I was ready to see if this chemistry could turn into more than a friendship. We’ve been together ever since, 1 year married, 7 years together. <3

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was out with a few girlfriends for dinner. One of my friends was going to meet up with a guy she had gone on a date with the week before. He and his friends were at a bar watching a Radiohead coverband. I thought he looked cute, and told my other friend. She basically shoved us together and grabbed his other friends and occupied them so we would talk. We ended up talking all night, and making fun of the band a lot. My friends slipped out without me, and so did his friends. At the end of the night, the lights came on, and we realized it was just us talking! We also realized the band had a video camera behind us and we probably screwed up their recording by mocking them all night. He asked me if I wanted to get another drink somewhere, and I was like, uh, it's 2am, and everywhere is closing! He didn't realize how late it was. Then he said, "well, I don't know if we're on the same page here, but maybe I can call you sometime." I still laugh at him for this line. I was like, uh, yeah, I would have left hours ago if we weren't on the same page. So cute.
    We're not married, although we own a house together, shared finances, and have a 2yo son. So, all but the ceremony I guess!