May 2018 Moms

Physical health check-in 1/19

This thread is for those who are trying to maintain physical activity throughout pregnancy. It can be walking around the block, hitting the gym, training for a marathon, and everything in between.

There is no physical activity too small during pregnancy.

^^^me, after the gym 

How far along?

How did this week go for you?

How are you feeling about your exercise?

Gtky selfish question- What are you wearing to workout that actually covers your belly well???

Re: Physical health check-in 1/19

• How far along?

22w5d

Really well! Finallyalmost fully recovered from my cold so back to my 60 minute workouts. I wanted to do more last night, but DH had made dinner and they were waiting on me to eat.

Great. The only bad part is it's the beginning of the year so my gym has new people. And their second location had a flooding issue a couple weeks ago so we are still getting extras from that location. 

Last night was so packed that some of us had to double up on rounds, which isn't that easy in a small gym where you punch and kick. I had to double up for like 6 rounds and then they asked me to double up again my second go around and I refused. Sounds super rude, but there were 3 opens stations so why double up when I could just shift to an open station to continue? I kind of snapped on the other location trainer who worked last night when he asked me to double up again. He apologized after and said he wasn't thinking, but come on man. Like I am a super regular and have been for over a year. I'm not dumb and won't just agree to someone like 10 years younger than me when they're being dumb, haha.

Gtky selfish question- What are you wearing to workout that actually covers your belly well???

So I was wearing workout tanks prior to pregnancy and switched to my older workout shirts I got when I was bigger and first started out. Now those are having problems covering my belly when I need to do certain things. I do wear a belly band so it's not like my belly is truly out, but I don't like it.

I don't want to just wear t shirts so do I go buy cheap workout shirts in bigger sizes? 

• @suchaglencoco thank god you asked this GTKY question because I’m having the same issue. It’s not cute, belly band or not haha. I catch a glimpse in the mirror and my shirt has moved up to under my bra hahha

How far along?

23 + 6

Actually really well. For the first time since I’ve been pregnant I did my HIIT class (60 Min) twice  I had to do a lot of adjustments. No incline on treadmill due to sciatic pain, same with no rowing, and couldn’t do most of the ab stuff so I had to modify all that BUT I still burned 800-900 calories each time so I would say it was a success. I also went and just walked on the treadmill for 30 min before work on Wednesday. I think I’m going tonight as well if I get off work on time. I hope to keep it up next week! 

Pretty good. I hate using lower weights. Stuff that I used to pick up a 20-30 lb weight for is now an 8-12 lb instead. I could push myself and so the high weights but I’m a chicken and I don’t want to be sore because honestly my body hurts from just being pregnant and I don’t want to aggravate it. I would like to continue my HIIT class until at least 30-32 weeks. At that point I figure I will be too uncomfortable but the weather should be nice enough for long, slow, walks.

Good freaking question. Hopefully someone has a tip. I can’t find any plus size maternity activewear that I don’t hate/isn’t a million dollars. Right now I’m depending on my clothing from before I lost 40-50 lbs (at least the tops) and a belly band but it’s not going to cut it for much longer. 

• Loading the player...
  • @suchaglencoco hahahah yes. I look like That except WAY less cute 
  • @suchaglencoco hate the beginning of the year crowds. I'm so used to having minimal people in my classes. 

@bjkay22 awesome job on the HIIT workouts. I haven't done any of those in months. 

How far along? 24w5d

How did this week go for you? Good. This week: barre 5x, prenatal yoga 2x, aqua aerobics 1x, and ran 1-2 mi + squats 2x. 

How are you feeling about your exercise? Good. My husband is probably going to kill me for spending so much money on fitness classes...I have a new member special for the prenatal yoga, but once that expires, he is probably going to lay down the law. (I'm saving so much money by not buying win though  :D:D)

GTKY: What are you wearing to workout that actually covers your belly well? It is funny you brought this one up today bc I wore a too tight top today and was constantly tugging it down and felt stupid/trashy. Maternity workout clothes are so expensive. I've been getting by so far, but I really don't know what I am going to do as my belly get bigger. I guess suck it up and pay the ridiculous prices for workout maternity tops :/  Maybe there will be spring sales??? I'll be on the lookout!

Me: 32 | DH: 35
    Married: 8/22/15
    BFP #1: 8/22/17 | DS: 4/20/18 
    BFP #2: 7/14/19 | EDD: 3/18/20
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• How far along? 25+4

How did this week go for you? Great!  I am closing all three of my rings on my Apple Watch (stand, exercise, and calories burned from moving).  I've done it every day this month so far and I think my goal is going to go for a perfect month.  Some of my exercise is logged when I walk to and from campuses.

How are you feeling about your exercise? So much better.  I have worked out every day this week.  Since last Friday, I have walked four times for at least 30 minutes and done Yoga four times for at least 15 minutes.  

Gtky selfish question- What are you wearing to workout that actually covers your belly well??? I bought these shirts and jacket from Target and love them.  https://www.target.com/p/maternity-tech-t-shirt---c9-champion®-dark-heather-gray-m/-/A-52236208 https://www.target.com/p/maternity-fit-&-flare-tank-top---c9-champion®-teal-m/-/A-52236583 https://www.target.com/p/maternity-run-1-4-zip-pullover---c9-champion®---military-gray-heather-m/-/A-51608596 PSA @suchaglencoco - They are 30% off right now

I bought these pants, but they get saggy in the crotch and aren't that great. https://www.target.com/p/maternity-over-the-belly-performance-capri-leggings---c9-champion®-black-m/-/A-50190070   I've been sticking with my regular Nike capris and just arranging them below my belly.  I think I need new sports bras because my chest situation is getting a little out of control.  

@suchaglencoco That's really annoying.  I would either buy new workout shirts or steal your husband's if he has them.  I've done a mixture, because I hate working out in cotton.  I've become a workout gear snob.

@bjkay22 great job!  Try not to get down about the weights.  Remember that you are already using "more" weight just because you are carrying around the baby and all the extras that go with that.

@silverhope awesome job!  I was thinking about looking into a yoga class, but I feel like I would have trouble getting out the door to go.  I've been successful working out at home for the time being.  

• @mileswithmyles ah I need that. I am always losing my phone. My husband is always making fun of me.

I'm gonna do some more research on these watches--thanks!  :)

• I have a Fitbit I basically only use as a watch and time out timer for now, ha. My gym has a monitor system you can buy that you wear around your chest and it displays it on a tv while you're there. It shows your heart rate and calories burned. When I hit a lull in my workouts last year I got it and it really keeps pushing me to workout harder when I can see I'm not doing my usual. You can also pull it up on your phone so when I would workout on vacation or on our treadmill, I'd wear it to be more aware. More expensive than I wanted at first, but very worth it, especially now for the heart rate alone.
  • rachelg777  I have this weird balance and vertigo problem on the treadmill. I couldn't do it pre pregnancy either. I just get so dizzy!
  • I am on the fitbit train too. I mostly like it because I can see text messages and phone calls and don’t have to have my phone directly on me.  I like the idea of using the timer as a time out timer... we are hitting the terrible twos and really need one!
  • @dem068a My Apple Watch does the same  But it will only do that if you have an iPhone, so if you are an Android user, it loses a lot of it's appeal.  I also use the timer on mine as a time out timer on the regular.   :#
  • You ladies are killing it!!!

How far along? 26 weeks

How did this week go for you? Good! I made it to the gym most days.

How are you feeling about your exercise? Ugh, the weight gain is killing me. I’m officially on my knees for all pushups.

I still have a couple of maternity tops from the last times. I have had great luck finding slightly used maternity clothes and workout gear through mom groups. Most people just give it away! Otherwise, just hit up Walmart for some bigger tips.

• @MissusTexas my barre class made me do push ups on my knees once I hit 20 weeks. I'm sure they are being overly cautious, but maybe it's good you switched up anyway :)

@suchaglencoco I have an OB appt on Thurs and am going to ask them directly, but--for reference--what do you try to keep your heart rate under? I have to admit, I thought it was outdated info that we have to keep our heart rates down. But the nurse that teaches my aqua aerobics was lecturing me about what my heart rate gets to when running. She was saying to keep it under 120 (I'd read 140), but her being so adamant about it is now making me actually check with my OB. I don't really understand why high heart rate is such a big deal, but I don't want to inadvertently do something stupid...so definitely going to get a clear number from my OB on Thurs. 

• @suchaglencoco thank you so much! I'll confirm with my OB tomorrow, but yea I get up to 170ish also (not sustained, but temporarily). I've been feeling fine, so I didn't think it was an issue, but the nurse at aqua aerobics scared me. I think she might be relying on outdated data though. 

I appreciate you sharing that with me. Hopefully my OB confirms what yours said and I don't need to worry any more. 

• @silverhope, let me know what the ob says. Obviously they're all different and so are we so I'll be interested in knowing.
    I feel like half the time I look up and think "how is it that high when I feel fine?" It gets frustrating, but an easy sacrifice. 
    Whenever the owner of my gym is there he asks for an update and wants to know if there are changes the ob has given me. He always specifically asks about hr because a member of his other gym had a hr restriction when she was pregnant so he wants to be supportive and not push me if I have a restriction. It's very sweet (and probably and little bit for legal reasons, ha) and I appreciate it, but he definitely doesn't argue with me about it.
  • You ladies are amazing! DS and I do a mommy and me swim class once a week for a half an hour and I’m exhausted after lol I’m Looking forward to warmer weather so DS, the dog and I can go for walks again.
  • @suchaglencoco unfortunately I met with the NP today instead of my OB. She initially said to workout to whatever level I feel comfortable, but then asked how high my heart rate gets. When I told her it can get to 175, she said I should really try to keep it below 150  :| She said it brings added heat to the baby when my heart rate is that high. I told her I only run for 15ish minutes usually (and that the 170 HR is not sustained very long), but she still seemed to think I should keep a lower rate. 

I'm going to ask the OB when I see him. Although it sounds like my next appointment (in 4 wks) is also with the NP (this is the one part of my OB practice I really dislike: I never know who I am seeing). 

I'd really like to keep up running, so for now, I don't think I'm going to change anything. I don't run for that long. But maybe I'll pay more attention to my HR monitor and see if I can keep my heart rate lower while running. Meh. 

• @silverhope, ugh, sorry you didn't get a concrete answer, but at least the NP didn't say under 120!!!
  • Me: 32 | DH: 35

• roomsuroomsu member
    edited January 2018
    @justsuzie Have you heard of the chain type things you can put on your shoes? I live in GA and had no clue. I was recently visiting my sister in Michigan and she put them on my shoes. We were extra careful, but I ran everyday there and it was so easy!  Reminds me of the chains they put on tires. I am a horrible treadmill runner and avoid it like the plague. I get the dizzy vertigo feelings too. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• @rachelg777 @mileswithmyles Ugh! Now I want the Apple Watch!  Maybe I can convince dh for mother’s day. My bday is way too far off in Nov. I love that it finds your phone. I never know where it is. Are there different versions? I love gadgets that make me move more. Fitbit has been great for that but I might need to jump on a new train. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• @roomsu Mine was an anniversary gift, took me a while to convince my DH. :) The apple watch versions are similar to how the iphone releases a new version in the fall. They released the series 3 last fall. Unrelated to fitness but one of my favorite features is the weather! I have it listed on my home display and just have to tap it to find out the temperature. I never knew that would be so convenient!
  • @roomsu I only got one because DS won it for being a top fundraiser at a charity 5K when he was two  :p. DH already had one and so I commandeered it.  I have the series 2, which I would recommend over the series 1 if you want it for fitness purposes because it comes with internal GPS, so you don’t have to run with your phone.