July 2018 Moms
Options

Co-Sleeping

I'm planning on having baby sleep in our room beside our bed for the first few months before transitioning into the nursery. I'm struggling to find a reasonable option for baby to sleep in though.

I find a bassinet too expensive for the use you get out of it.

I was thinking a Pack 'n Play with the lounger that clips on the top but I have learned that those are not safe for overnight sleep. You can, however, use the bassinet that clips inside and hangs higher but this still seems like it would be too far to put baby in and out of. Also, would probably have to buy an extra mattress (for comfort) and special sheets. On the plus side, this can be used down the road for travel. 

Does anyone have any suggestions for overnight sleep for newborns or notice something I've missed or got wrong?

Thank you! 

Re: Co-Sleeping

• Options
    Maybe a used bassinet for cost effectivness? Personally, my son absouluty refused to sleep anywhere but next to me (I nursed). I had a rocking bassinet and would rock it for hour s but the minute I stopped he would wake up and cry. I'm hoping this baby is different!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Like @zombiehoohaa  said, introduce yourself and join in! We have a lot of great daily and weekly threads where you’ll find lots of info and are a great place to ask questions. 

I plan on getting a rock n play bassinet for this babe. It’s relatively cheap and it’s safe for sleep (unlike the lounger). 

https://fisher-price.mattel.com/shop/en-us/fp/everything-baby-gear/rock-n-play-portable-bassinet-green-x7757
    run along Pond...2015/12/10

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Everything @zombiehoohaa said, welcome! You’ll see tons of useful information and ideas for sleep surfaces on that last link! 

Maybe a used bassinet for cost effectivness? Personally, my son absouluty refused to sleep anywhere but next to me (I nursed). I had a rocking bassinet and would rock it for hour s but the minute I stopped he would wake up and cry. I'm hoping this baby is different!
    Welcome to you as well knottie! I’d suggest you change your username so people can better interact with you. Search PSA knottie and you’ll find detailed instructions :) 
  • Options
    I second what everyone else, and definitely check out the sleep surface thread. Also wanted to add, you'll want a pack n play regardless. When they start to get mobile, it's a lifesaver for when you need to run to the bathroom and need a safe place to put baby. It's also great for traveling. And they're not expensive at all. The bassinet option comes with most basic models I believe, and that's all you need for a newborn - no extra mattress needed, and the lounger thing is not safe for sleeping. So my recommendation is, if you'll be getting one anyway, plan to use that for sleep, and if baby or you hate it, you can buy a bassinet or some other option. I have the halo bassinet because a pack n play wouldn't fit next to my bed, but I am a fan of it - though pricey. 
  • Options
    With our first we lived in a one bedroom apartment so we had his crib on my side. He slept there since day one. His crib did stay in our room till he was 1 once we moved onto our house. We hope to get a halo this time and keep him in our room. Or Maybe move the crib to keep him in for about the same amount of time if we transition DS1 into a regular bed.
  • Options
    We used a Fisher price portable bassinet for the first few months. It's not that expensive, maybe around $60, and it folds up when not in use. Loved it! 

Fisher-Price Rock 'n Play Portable Bassinet https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008DDPL32/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_ecayAbPYFNXMS
  • Options
    We used a pack n play for a bed for my daughter until about 6 months. We kept the PNP downstairs and I slept on the couch so that I was nearby. We had a bassinet, but my daughter refused to sleep in it. I wanted to avoid co-sleeping as much as possible (even though it was soooo much easier) and this worked for us.
  • Options
    We lived in a tiny one bedroom walk up apartment with my daughter, until she was 10 months (and it worked out great, crazy enough!!)

She slept in a regular crib in our room from the first night, and it made was so nice cause she never had to "transition" to a crib later on. She was always a great sleeper and still is, but I also LOVED having her in my room.

With the new baby, I can't fit a full crib in our room now and don't want him waking his sister up, so I was looking at a halo bassinet but can't justify the cost. Since I most likely will have a c-section, the pack and play is WAY too low to be able to reach him, so I'm going with the Moses basket I already own and getting a stand for it. Not everyone's style but I'm so excited!! :)

There are a lot of more inexpensive bassinet options, and you may find family members happy to pass along their baby equipment to you! :)
  • Options
    100% recommend rock n play!!
  • Options
    Yep, pack n play all the way!! We will use ours with this one too.
  • Options
    Rock and Play --- It was a godsend for us!
  • Options
    We used an Arm's Reach Co-sleeper for both kids and loved it.