August 2018 Moms

Unpopular Opinion (UO) Thursday!

Re: Unpopular Opinion (UO) Thursday!

• @calimom2524 I 100% agree! I feel like we are doing all the work and at the end they still get to claim this beautiful baby that we birth! All the nausea, soarness, weight gain, being poked and prodded, and not to mention child birth itself! Totally worth it, but please clean the house without me having to ask!
  • Loading the player...
  • @ecwk I just see it as temporary, so you would go back to work eventually. I’m able to work part time, and it’s really nice to have a little of both worlds.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• @lalala2004 I don’t think I would...I also need the flexibility of being able to go to Ireland at the drop of a hat and I can’t really do that if I am working...it’s something on my mind a lot as my parents get older...and I get very homesick, I just want to be able to go home whenever and it’s kind of a deal breaker. But I would definitely consider maybe doing subbing or online tutoring where I don’t have to stick to regular hours!

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • aj1327aj1327 member
    edited January 2018
    @ecwk not to me! I love staying home and won’t go back to work full time unless I have to. I do plan on taking yoga teacher training the Spring after I have this little one and teaching some yoga classes and possibly working some hours at my yoga studio that I go to now, but that would probably be less than part time. 

ETA:I could see myself going back once both kids are in school full time but that seems SO far away! 
  • Also, Team LaCroix!

And my DH pulls his weight around the house and with DS as he should. I’ve heard many friends and coworkers talk about the lack of help or how their husbands ‘probably don’t even know how to use the washing machine’ and it is mind boggling to me. 
    Me: 34 DH: 37
    DS: 5.28.15
    DS#2: EDD 8.31.18

• I would love to be a SAHM, but NYC living doesn't allow for that. I do worry that if I can get my kid into an academic preschool, they're not going to get the foundation they need for kindergarten (so many of my students came in so behind and unprepared when I taught kindergarten), and if I'm working I won't have time to work with them at home. I also feel like as an educator, their teachers will judge me big time if it seems like I didn't do enough to prepare them for school. 
    Me: 28 DH: 29
    Married: 6/2016
    TTC #1: 12/2016
    Benched due to deployment- Off the bench 8/8/17!

• F47F47 member
    I became a SAHM to DS1 (4) and DS2 (15 months) in January of this year. I, like you @amac12999, felt like I had so much explaining to do. I worried my boss (who had become a great friend over 7 years) and my coworkers would look down on me, I worried my family would think it was a mistake. I struggled with how to even tell everyone. Luckily, most were supportive. I did get a few passive aggressive comments from a coworker.

I just felt like I’d worked so hard to climb the ladder in my industry and I was “throwing it all away” in the eyes of others. But, obviously, I went ahead with what was right for me. 

@hezzer78 I don’t care for This Is Us either! I wanted to love it because I adore Mandy Moore, but it seems overacted. 

My random UO: JC was the best member of NSYNC. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • F47F47 member
    edited January 2018
  • I have my masters. I always take a year or so off after each kiddo. In the US. So yes I quit. But I love nursing that year and that’s just me. I’ve been called lazy before. Idc. 

It works for us. The haters can suck it.   :p
  • I prefer the Winter Olympics to the Summer Olympics, though I love both, and I can't wait until February.
    Me:32
    DH:45
    DSD: 20
    DSS: 18
    Team green baby due: Aug 6th, 2018

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @derbysquirrel we’re super excited for the olympics too! DS already knows what curling is and apparently watched it intently at grandma and grandpas the other day  :D

August '18 March Siggy Challenge - You had ONE JOB

Pregnancy Ticker

• That’s awesome! I wanted to go to the speed skating trials (we have an Olympic training facility here) but tickets sold out too fast I was bummed

August '18 March Siggy Challenge - You had ONE JOB

Pregnancy Ticker

• Winter Olympics are just more fun all around. I think there's more teamwork between countries and some of the events are irreverent, like snowboarding, and not as stuffy and elitist like marathons or some shit. 
  • I like seeing the more uncommon sports. I can watch basketball, gymnastics, track and field, and hockey any time anywhere, but luge, curling, biathlon, and bobsled are all events I really only get to see every 4 years.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @F47 yes!!! JC always and forever. 

I don't even bother to watch the winter olympics. So boring. 

My UO: I HATE 80s music. Actually, I don't really like music in general, and could completely live without it, but 80s music is just awful. 
  • @lalala2004 I totally agree about the a-hole horror stories. My husband does deserve praise. I guess I can see how the "why my SO is awesome" thread is lame to some, but we as pregnant women DO tend to complain a lot about relatively minor things our SOs do/don't do during pregnancy, so I think it's nice to remind ourselves that they really are totally awesome, wonderful people. I don't see it so much as a brag thread but as a reminder, written out, that we are thankful and blessed with the support systems we have, even if they "accidentally" ate the rest of the ice cream or whatever lol. 

• 7425cait said:
    @F47 yes!!! JC always and forever. 

My UO: I HATE 80s music. Actually, I don't really like music in general, and could completely live without it, but 80s music is just awful. 
    WHAT?! Who hates music?! Music is my life. Honestly it's one of the biggest things SO and I have in common and our relationship wouldn't be what it was without music. That's so crazy to me!!! Though I do agree on 80s music. I don't hate it, but there's very few songs I like and I don't get the hype for most. 

August 18 Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • 7425cait7425cait member
    edited January 2018
    ^ yeah, nope. I don't listen to music at all unless my DD wants to, which is rare. I can't concentrate when it's on. I mostly listen to podcasts in the car or when I shower. 
  • @7425cait
    I don't really appreciate what most people consider "80s music" i.e. butt rock, metal, devo, and Michael Jackson, but I love both Billy Joel and Bruce Springsteen, who are 80s artists. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I love all music. From Beethoven to Eminem to George Straight. 

• August 18 Siggy Challenge: April Showers

• 7425cait said:
    @F47 yes!!! JC always and forever. 

Oh wow, I've never met anyone who didn't care much for music. I'm the total opposite, I love music and a ton of different genres but I can't listen to audio books and I've never even bothered with trying a podcast because I wouldn't be able to pay attention. I will agree with you ladies about JC though, by far my favorite. Nsync was also my first real concert and my mom took me when I was about 12 lol. 

Image result for april showers meme

Hello from Detroit!

• My unpopular opinion is that I only enjoy pop or soda if it's completely flat. I hate carbonated drinks. 

Hello from Detroit!

• aj1327aj1327 member
    edited January 2018
    @rocknrrollmom my sister in law too! She opens Diet Coke and then Puts it in the fridge. I thought she was the only person in the world who could possibly like that  ;)

ETA: puts in fridge so it will go flat
  • My unpopular opinion is that I only enjoy pop or soda if it's completely flat. I hate carbonated drinks. 
    I like warm soda. Drives SO crazy. Lol. 
  • @amac12999 I got really excited when I got home and I had a flat ginger ale waiting in the fridge for me LOL. She's not the only crazy

@dirtanddiamonds I'm totally fine with it warm too. I'll choose water over anything but I don't mind flat, warm soda

Hello from Detroit!

• Barf! Warm and/or flat. NOPE. Y’all are crazy. 

August 18 Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Is this the end of our friendship ;)
    Is this the end of our friendship ;)
    I’ll take her place. I can do warm, and prefer flat sodas. To the point I will open and shake it until it doesn’t ‘sizzle’ anymore if I want the pop now.

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• My UO is when the word hipster is thrown around do flippantly. People who read buzzfeed, have moutaches, say “epic”, wear shirts with popular catch phrases in helvetica, listen to folk rock, love new neon signs, marble with brass, Edison lightbulbs etc, whatever else gets people called a “hipster” are not actually hip they are mainstream. All of those things are super popular and not fringe. Hipster used to mean a person who was hip, knew about things no one else did, set trends, was ahead of their time. If all the Instagram wannabes are supposedly “hip” then wtf is their nothing cool in this world anymore?

also I hate social media, and wish the internet wasn’t invented.

damn, I can feel the flames.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • marafox said:
    My UO is when the word hipster is thrown around do flippantly. People who read buzzfeed, have moutaches, say “epic”, wear shirts with popular catch phrases in helvetica, listen to folk rock, love new neon signs, marble with brass, Edison lightbulbs etc, whatever else gets people called a “hipster” are not actually hip they are mainstream. All of those things are super popular and not fringe. Hipster used to mean a person who was hip, knew about things no one else did, set trends, was ahead of their time. If all the Instagram wannabes are supposedly “hip” then wtf is their nothing cool in this world anymore?

also I hate social media, and wish the internet wasn’t invented.

damn, I can feel the flames.
    I’m gonna be the one, I’m always the one. 

if you hate social media and the internet...why are you here? 

HaHa, kinda Ironic?!