February 2018 Moms

Fit Mom Friday

Haven’t seen this thread in at least a month...anyone still managing to waddle their way to the gym? I just did 20 minutes on the elliptical and then 20 minutes walking on the treadmill and feel like a hero. Which is kind of depressing lol

Re: Fit Mom Friday

• I made it to week 30, and I’ve stopped. Everything hurts lol.
    I have an Apple Watch and just try and complete my movement ring everyday at this point!
  • I dropped the ball on our weekly threads once my SPD got bad and I had to take a few weeks off... sorry, all! Serendipitously, I had to take a few weeks of limited activity due to preterm contractions, and sitting on the couch all day tremendously helped with my SPD :) Now that I'm 34 weeks and they are less concerned with me going into labor, I'm hoping to start walking 2 miles a day, if for nothing else than my sanity.

@stephbp2007 I got an Apple Watch for my birthday, but it's been so hectic I haven't started using it yet.  Excited for the activity tracker! Any tips or things you really like about it that I should try?
  • Loading the player...
  • Ha, here I am sitting and eating double stuff Oreos. Whoops. I’m like you @stephbp2007 where I just try to complete my activity ring daily. I’ve done a pretty good job of that so far! 
  • Maybe then we should focus this on plans/goals for after baby? I’d love to hear the ideas of other moms and their experiences getting back into shape
  • I got a Fitbit for Christmas that is having me walk around the office and house... Surprisingly helpful for the hip pain.

I really need to get to the pool but I really don't have the energy to shave my legs. :/
  • Maybe then we should focus this on plans/goals for after baby? I’d love to hear the ideas of other moms and their experiences getting back into shape
    After baby sounds great. 
  • I’m still trying to get in as much as I can! I have never been an exercise junkie by any means - quite the opposite - and only started running about a month before getting pregnant. I started the Couch to 5K program in mid-April and worked up to running for 30 minutes, but I have since had to cut back on the time, distance, and frequency.

For now, I’m calling my routine “the 2-2-22”... trying to get to the gym 2 times per week, to run 2 miles in 22 minutes each time. It’s not much but it’s enough to make me feel seriously proud of myself each time!

I hope that, assuming an uncomplicated delivery, I can pick up running again after the baby is born without too much regression. One year ago, the thought of running even 2-3 minutes without stopping sounded impossible because I had absolutely no stamina. But, knowing that I did it once helps me believe that I can do it again.

Second+ time moms - any advice or tips on getting back to exercising post-baby? 
  • I did Fit4Moms stroller strides after my second. I had my first 2 back to back - 11 months apart and it really helped me to get back in shape. I plan to do it again after this LO when cleared by my MD. I did it during this pregnancy until the end of Dec and then stopped as I'm due early Feb, but will have a scheduled c section end of Jan. I'd recommend the program to any mom looking to get back into shape. 
  • psm2462 said:
    I dropped the ball on our weekly threads once my SPD got bad and I had to take a few weeks off... sorry, all! Serendipitously, I had to take a few weeks of limited activity due to preterm contractions, and sitting on the couch all day tremendously helped with my SPD :) Now that I'm 34 weeks and they are less concerned with me going into labor, I'm hoping to start walking 2 miles a day, if for nothing else than my sanity.

@stephbp2007 I got an Apple Watch for my birthday, but it's been so hectic I haven't started using it yet.  Excited for the activity tracker! Any tips or things you really like about it that I should try?
    It takes some playing around with the numbers to figure out what works for you. I assumed I would hit a ridiculously high number when I was at my peak working out, but that’s not the case. I’m not sure actually what the calculation is, but at my peak working out a daily goal of 400 seemed to work, then I would usually go way over that on exercise days (like over 900 when I did a 10K). Now I set it at 350 lol.

i get excited though when it’s a holiday and they have a special “badge” for a workout. It definitely makes me work out for it. Silly I know, but it works!

Here’s just food for thought. I don’t have plans to move to the fb group (I haven’t been overly active on here aside from this thread and a few others) but is anyone interested in a fit Mom group?! I personally plan on taking walks right off the bat just to get the blood flowing, and March 1 I’m signing up for weight watchers. I have a beach vacation planned in August that I am going to be at my pre-wedding weight for if it kills me  :D
  • psm2462 said:
    I dropped the ball on our weekly threads once my SPD got bad and I had to take a few weeks off... sorry, all! Serendipitously, I had to take a few weeks of limited activity due to preterm contractions, and sitting on the couch all day tremendously helped with my SPD :) Now that I'm 34 weeks and they are less concerned with me going into labor, I'm hoping to start walking 2 miles a day, if for nothing else than my sanity.

It takes some playing around with the numbers to figure out what works for you. I assumed I would hit a ridiculously high number when I was at my peak working out, but that’s not the case. I’m not sure actually what the calculation is, but at my peak working out a daily goal of 400 seemed to work, then I would usually go way over that on exercise days (like over 900 when I did a 10K). Now I set it at 350 lol.

i get excited though when it’s a holiday and they have a special “badge” for a workout. It definitely makes me work out for it. Silly I know, but it works!

Here’s just food for thought. I don’t have plans to move to the fb group (I haven’t been overly active on here aside from this thread and a few others) but is anyone interested in a fit Mom group?! I personally plan on taking walks right off the bat just to get the blood flowing, and March 1 I’m signing up for weight watchers. I have a beach vacation planned in August that I am going to be at my pre-wedding weight for if it kills me  :D
    I'm in for fit mom group...I plan on losing this weight as fast as possible. Hoping to be back to pre pregnancy body by May. 
  • @Chawk17 not to be Debbie Downer, but May is a very very ambitious goal for most women. I usually tell people 6-9 months to get back to pre pregnancy weight. I ran a half marathon at 4 months postpartum after my first (which was fine, but not something I would recommend or do again), but it still took me 7 months to lose all the weight, in spite of breastfeeding and using my fitness pal to log calories. I gained 33 lbs and started with a normal BMi...everyone is different though, so maybe you’ll do better than I did. I just remember being so disappointed that the weight wasn’t gone in 12 weeks (my original goal). This time, I’m giving myself 8 months to lose the weight and be back to running a sub 2 hour half marathon (I’d shoot for 6, but August in Las Vegas is too hot for running anyway).
  • Chawk17Chawk17 member
    edited January 2018
    I just know that when I go back to work in May  ( for a month) I want to look like I didn't have a kid. As in pre pregnancy...not as in waiting to still deliver. Maybe unrealistic- we will see...but for now it's my fantasy.   I plan on partnering with beachbody and working hard to hit that goal. I want people to say WOW when they see me.  :D
  • I'm still working out I alternate between doing cardio on the elliptical for two miles followed by light weights then on the next day I walk 2 miles outside. I find walking to be the hardest due to my SPD
  • Haven’t seen this thread in at least a month...anyone still managing to waddle their way to the gym? I just did 20 minutes on the elliptical and then 20 minutes walking on the treadmill and feel like a hero. Which is kind of depressing lol
    I’m still trying to get in as much as I can! I have never been an exercise junkie by any means - quite the opposite - and only started running about a month before getting pregnant. I started the Couch to 5K program in mid-April and worked up to running for 30 minutes, but I have since had to cut back on the time, distance, and frequency.

For now, I’m calling my routine “the 2-2-22”... trying to get to the gym 2 times per week, to run 2 miles in 22 minutes each time. It’s not much but it’s enough to make me feel seriously proud of myself each time!

I hope that, assuming an uncomplicated delivery, I can pick up running again after the baby is born without too much regression. One year ago, the thought of running even 2-3 minutes without stopping sounded impossible because I had absolutely no stamina. But, knowing that I did it once helps me believe that I can do it again.

Second+ time moms - any advice or tips on getting back to exercising post-baby? 
    I'm still working out I alternate between doing cardio on the elliptical for two miles followed by light weights then on the next day I walk 2 miles outside. I find walking to be the hardest due to my SPD

You guys are personally my heros lol. Good for you for doing anything! I count housework and walking around work as my work outs now!
  • All for making this a post-baby fitness discussion! Looking forward to having the support, motivation, and camaraderie.

To second what @jessilee15 said, I think it's really important not to have overly ambitious goals, particularly until you know how your recovery goes and what kind of LO you have.  I'm extremely active (long course triathlete and distance runner), exercised throughout my first pregnancy, and gained on the low end of the recommended range, and was certain I would be back in pre-pregnancy shape in no time at all.  Instead, I was floored by how difficult it was.  Between having a really tough delivery and recovery and then having a baby who was only happy when being held (I had visions of doing at home workouts while he happily sat in a swing or bouncer), my goals were pushed out by months.  I can't imagine how much more difficult it would have been if I'd had a C section.  It can also be really difficult to feed yourself well when you're constantly holding or nursing a newborn and you wind up eating whatever is within arm's reach (not to mention the crazy hunger that comes with breastfeeding, if you're planning to).  I also learned that the whole "you'll drop the weight like that if you're nursing" thing is somewhat of an old wives' tale, as I think it actually caused me to hang onto a few extra pounds for quite some time.  And, even when I was close to pre-pregnancy shape and had lost all the weight around 8 months postpartum, I sustained two stress fractures due to nutritional deficiencies/hormone fluctuations from nursing. 

This is not intended at all to sound negative because I think it's so important to make your health a priority and to set goals for yourself, I just learned the hard way that it's better to establish incremental but attainable goals (think, "I will go for a walk with the baby X times a week for 2 weeks" or "I will spend 3 hours doing meal prep for the week on Sundays" instead of just "I want to be back to pre-pregnancy weight by X date").  I feel like it's easier to stay motivated and you're less likely to feel demoralized than by setting one specific and large goal.  All of the incremental goals will add up to be worth a lot!

Also surprising to me when I did get back to my pre-pregnancy weight was that my body did not look the same at all! My hips and ribcage stayed wider for some time, and I just overall felt that I carried my weight differently.
  • I did Fit4Moms stroller strides after my second. I had my first 2 back to back - 11 months apart and it really helped me to get back in shape. I plan to do it again after this LO when cleared by my MD. I did it during this pregnancy until the end of Dec and then stopped as I'm due early Feb, but will have a scheduled c section end of Jan. I'd recommend the program to any mom looking to get back into shape. 
    I am 33 weeks pregnant and I am still managing to go to Fit4mom stroller strides 3 days a week. I joined after my daughter turned 10 months and it's been so awesome to get back into shape after she was born and had kept me active during this pregnancy. Love Fit4Mom!!!
    where do you go??
  • I've never posted on this thread, but I was very active before pregnancy and didn't have the time slash desire during pregnancy to continue working out. Now that I'm on leave and am bored out of my mind, I'm trying to ease my way back in. So today, I walked 2 miles outside and when I came home did some some sets of bodyweight squats, wall push ups, kegels, and light weight bicep curls followed by a nice stretching session. I have momma strong so I think I'm gonna try that until baby shows up. Goal is to do a lot of baby wearinf. And will probably try to start beach body (mayb t25) in April? I want by the time July rolls around that when I tell people I have a 4 month old people will be surprise. But my pre pregnancy body (aka my wedding bod) will prob take a lot longer. 
  • Think I had my last run this weekend. I was able to manage the pelvic pain by taking Tylenol beforehand and resting 2-3 days between runs, but I am still incredibly sore after my last run and don’t want to spend the next 3 weeks in misery!

I had initially thought that, once running became too difficult, I would switch to the Elliot or stationary bike; but I worry that changing up the muscle groups too much at this point would leave me just as sore and there is too much to get done before LO arrives! So I am going to aim for some long walks to stay loose and get some light cardio in.