3rd Trimester

Cravings and constipation... help!

I apologize in advance for the TMI. I'll be 34 weeks tomorrow.  I'm having the hardest time controlling cravings. This baby is all about sugar. I loved my salads before this pregnancy.  And I'm so constipated but hungry at the same time! Any recommendations for relief? I feel like such a cow I'm  afraid to step on the scale. Doesn't help that I'm high risk and had to stop exercise at 25 weeks. TIA!

Re: Cravings and constipation... help!

• Cravings: Decide in the morning, after you've had breakfast (so you're not hungry) what you're okay with eating that day as far as treats go. Set that portion out. Maybe it's two Nutter Butters or 20 M&Ms. Once you've eaten them, you're done for the day for treats. So try to save them for later in the day. 

Constipation: You can try to use your current sweet tooth to help with this and get some fruits in. Kiwis specifically are supposed to help with constipation but just add more fruits period. You may get a two birds, one stone deal. If that doesn't help soon, talk to your doctor about remedies. Constipation and straining can lead to hemorrhoids. With the blessing of my doctor I added 400 mg/day of magnesium and that has helped. Add in a fiber supplement--Metamucil, fiber gummies, whatever. And, my doctor also approved the use of Colace stool softener. I take it about once or twice a week. 

Me: 34 DH: 38
    Married: June 2011
    TTC since Feb 2016
    BFP#1: 7/7/16 MMC: 8/16/16 
    BFP#2: 5/8/17 - CP
    BFP#3: 6/27/17 EDD: 3/10/18
  • kiki75 said:
    Cravings: Decide in the morning, after you've had breakfast (so you're not hungry) what you're okay with eating that day as far as treats go. Set that portion out. Maybe it's two Nutter Butters or 20 M&Ms. Once you've eaten them, you're done for the day for treats. So try to save them for later in the day. 

Constipation: You can try to use your current sweet tooth to help with this and get some fruits in. Kiwis specifically are supposed to help with constipation but just add more fruits period. You may get a two birds, one stone deal. If that doesn't help soon, talk to your doctor about remedies. Constipation and straining can lead to hemorrhoids. With the blessing of my doctor I added 400 mg/day of magnesium and that has helped. Add in a fiber supplement--Metamucil, fiber gummies, whatever. And, my doctor also approved the use of Colace stool softener. I take it about once or twice a week. 
    Omg, I think if I counted out M&Ms I'd end up counting how many were in the bag and being like "oh, that's a good solid number!" :lol:

But yeah, OP, as PP said - use your sweet tooth to your advantage and eat fruits. It's been my saving grace for constipation. Even when I take stool softeners daily, drink plenty of water, and take in plenty of fiber, I still end up constipated. Fruit is the only thing that keeps me going on a semi-regular basis.
    If you don't want to eat fruits for whatever reason, or just can't stomach them; ask your OB for recommendations on stool softeners they approve during pregnancy, and get started on those while you're increasing your daily fiber and water intake. It may not work (like I said; it didn't do anything for me), but it should help relieve you at least a bit.

Me: 30 | DH: 34 | DSS: 14 | DS: 4
    PG #2, EDD 10/12/2023

• Loading the player...
  • Thank you. I've been eating activia, and I try to eat a banana a day for leg cramps. I drink mainly water all day. It just isn't working. Doc approved colace so I took it this morning hoping it will help. Kiwi is one of my favorite fruits so I'm going to try that. I think I'm not eating enough fruit. Going to substitute Skittles for fruit haha!
  • I had great luck with the 90 calorie Fiber One brownies or lemon bars. Probably not the world’s healthiest choice, but low in calories while satisfying a sweet craving. Plus having one a day kept me off the stool softeners!