November 2017 Moms

Baby schedule

How have you and your LO been doing on establishing a routine throughout the day?

We all know how important it is to eventually get your LO on a schedule... but easier said then done, right?

The holidays and my 2 1/2 year old have been making it hard to get my DS on the nap/eat/play routine. I can sometimes be successfully for the first part of the day, but it usually derails around 2ish. My biggest hurdle have been his catnaps!

Any words or advice? What's working? What's not? 

Re: Baby schedule

• My son put himself on a schedule and I figured it out after using a free app my husband downloaded. It's called Baby Nursing and it's great because it has places for nursing, sleep, diapers, bottles, baths, doctor visits, etc. I haven't used it since he was 4 weeks because it's on the iPad and now I'm used to his cues / times. It has been a lifesaver because now I know when to schedule doctor appointments, visits from friends, errands, etc. 
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • We have a nighttime routine and schedule, but nothing else yet. 
  • Loading the player...
  • sml1982sml1982 member
    edited January 2018
    We have developed a schedule and it works well. She sleeps from about 11pm to 3am then eats and sleeps from 3am to 7am. I wash her up..get her dressed then feed her and she goes back to sleep while I shower and dress for work. We get to work around 8:30am (I work for my parents and she goes to work with me. I work from their home office). She stays sleep until about 1030am then she eats again. Then she is pretty much awake for the rest of the day. She takes short naps but usually for only 20-25 mins. We leave "work" around 7pm or 8pm. Im usually not in a rush to leave as my husband works the evening shift and doesnt get off until 11pm. I think the long days out helps her to sleep at night too.
  • We have not established a good routine or schedule yet. I want to start putting him to bed earlier but I can tell DH doesn’t want to because that cuts into his 1 on 1 time with LO. Right now our day is driven by either errands or DD activities. He does not like to nap in his crib or the PnP so that is hard. I guess we do have a routine at night where he usually sleeps on DH for a little bit. I will feed him around 8-9 then him and DH hang out until his bottle around 10-11 then LO goes down for th night and is waking up 1-2 times a night to eat. He usually wakes up around 7. DH gives a bottle while I help DD get ready / pump then they leave and I play with LO for about 30 mins before he falls asleep.
  • We have had a bed time routine for the last two weeks and it’s finally starting to consistently work! Night time is pretty much the same as well.
    he has a good schedule in the morning until about 11, then he just does whatever he wants and it’s different every day until around 5 and then he is predictable again. 
    I’m a stickler for bedtime routines but during the day for right now I’m not too stressed.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• My daughter (4) created one, she literally came out of me and did the same thing daily haha. 

She is now the reason I can’t get a routine for this little man ;) she comes in hot in the morning so wakes him. Try to get him napping in crib for first nap so I can help her with breakfast etc, but he’ll wake within minutes if I’m not holding him so im up and down stairs getting us all rested and ready. If I take her to school he naps in the car and wakes when we get home, if we’re home it’s a long nap (usually in the carrier as his naps are so terrible when I put him down). Eat, “play” and sleep again, repeat with a nap in the carrier and trying to get a nap in his room. Snooze on me after daughter goes to bed (I’m having a hard time letting this one go since it’s our only 1-1 time). Go to bed, quick feed to get him back to sleep, up every 2-3 hrs to feed.

whew. So my struggle is that by now, my daughter slept 8 hrs and this little dude is still 2-3 hrs max. I think her wonderful naps and routine helped her nighttime sleep but with a busy 4 yo, school drop off and pickup a few days a week, and all the catnaps make it hard. I’m thinking that at 3 months when he can stay awake a LITTLE longer I’ll really push to get him established naps in his room. I had to sleep train daughter for naps (to get them longer or she’d wake cranky) so I’m also fine with that after 4 months, I think that’ll help us too.. 

ugh longest answer but little man is so smiley after a good nap, I just need to get my daughter more self sufficient so she doesn’t screech for me right as he’s about to fall asleep ;)
  • No way for a schedule yet... I did dienlaod baby tracker this morning so hopefully that will help. 
    Thanks @NYTino24 for the app recommendation
  • our schedule isn't so bad but there are days he loves throwing us for a loop. we do 2 hour intervals during the day where it's eat, play (aka giggle & tummy time while throwing up cuz he has reflux), the nap for an hour and do it all over again until it's time for bed. then we get a good 3-4 hour stretch and then it's 3 hours til we wake up. but there are nights (like the last few) that he was doing 2 hour intervals and usually waking up inbetween that to just make noise and scream. 

hubs wants me to go back to work but theres no way i can function on the sleep im getting. not to mention i cannot nap when LO does during the day, ive tried i just cant do it...hes napping now actually.