3rd Trimester

29 weeks & baby is already 4.5 lb

I don't have gestational diabetes. Baby's due date is March 5th. I got a sonogram done to see how much he weighed. He is already 4 lbs 8 oz...any one experience this? 

Re: 29 weeks & baby is already 4.5 lb

• Is your doc concerned? I personally don’t recall what is average for that week but could the US be off? As you get bigger the measuring is less accurate. 
  • The us weight measurements are not accurate, they can be +/- 1 to 2 lb 
  • Loading the player...
  • Baby's weight is utero is always an estimate and unless your doctor is concerned, I wouldn't let it bother you too much.

My doctor said my last baby was going to be 9lbs and she was just over 7lbs.  

• Sounds exactly like me. At 29 weeks, my son weighed in at 4lb 0oz. And I have gestational diabetes too. He’s in the 83rd percentile. I have weekly nonstress tests and ultrasounds to track his growth. 
  • Why exactly are you concerned?

Some babies are big, some babies are small. Estimations are notoriously inaccurate. You don't have GD, so I wouldn't worry about it. I know someone who's first baby was over nine pounds. My own baby approached that. (Both of us had non-medicated, out-of-hospital births, btw). 
  • Why exactly are you concerned?

Some babies are big, some babies are small. Estimations are notoriously inaccurate. You don't have GD, so I wouldn't worry about it. I know someone who's first baby was over nine pounds. My own baby approached that. (Both of us had non-medicated, out-of-hospital births, btw). 
    And that’s relevant info...how? 
  • lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    edited January 2018
    kmalls said:
    Why exactly are you concerned?

And that’s relevant info...how? 
    Because, although I don't know for sure why she's concerned about the weight, typically with posts like this, the OP is concerned about vaginally birthing a larger baby. I was trying to reassure her, if that was indeed her concern, that even if her baby does end up on the larger side, it's very possible and not only possible, it can be done outside of a hospital without meds if that's what she chooses.
  • I don't have gestational diabetes. Baby's due date is March 5th. I got a sonogram done to see how much he weighed. He is already 4 lbs 8 oz...any one experience this? 
    Baby is coming out one way or another. No need to stress yourself about his size as these estimates are notoriously inaccurate. Also, you don’t know what your body is capable of. I know people that have birthed 10lb-ers.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::