July 2018 Moms
Options

Husband Micro-Managing Meals

tjlowrytjlowry member
edited December 2017 in July 2018 Moms
Does anyone else have a partner who it feels like they are monitoring everything you eat? I know it's coming from a place of love and wanting to have a healthy baby, but it's been leading to arguments and frustration on both ends. 

Re: Husband Micro-Managing Meals

• Options
    No but we do have a questions thread, ransoms thread, intro thread, and several in general b*tching threads  ;) 

In all seriousness, we’d love to get to know you and all about your husbands control issues over there. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hmm that's a hard one. My DH doesn't have any clue what and when I eat throughout the day so I don't have much advice on dealing with that. Maybe have him come with you to the next OB appointment and voice your and his concerns to the Dr. and the Dr. should be able to alleviate some of his worries.

I know babies born to mommies who ate 100% clean the whole time and other born to mommies who ate junk food the whole time and I see no difference in the kids. 

• Options
    @tjlowry My DH has definitely taken an active interest in what I’m eating. He’s not a typically inquisitive guy, so I suspect it’s just nerves & genuine concern & maybe helplessness given I’m effectively the ‘surrogate’ of this child we’ve spent years trying for.
    So, I’ve tried to channel this into a win-win by letting him do the grocery shopping & cooking. When I pass out early, he stays up and cooks & even packs me healthy meals for work!
    maybe something like that would help?
  • Options
    @beanship ahhh... I didn’t see the pre-edited post... I agree he and they would benefit from a therapist. Super slippery slope.
  • Options
    @beanship @christycalifornia yep I saw the OP as well. I was feeling a bit snarky and sick of the one off posts which I usually don’t even care that much about. I saw she was brand new here and, I think bc I have a major migraine today, major eye rolled and decided to be hall monitor. 
  • Options
    I also saw the original post but edited my comment before I sent it because you edited yours. I do agree that your husband needs therapy - that is emotional abuse and may only get worse as the pregnancy goes along. If anything were to happen to your baby, 99% of the time it isn't because of something you did and if your husband is already saying things like this, parenting with him will be a major challenge. 

• Options
    Yeah I don't think there's any reason to argue about your food intake.. My DH knows not to question what I'm having, but consistently offers to go out for whatever I may have a hankering for. This early in the game, it's hard to eat at all sometimes, but baby is tiny and doesn't require a ton of calories. So do what you can to eat good food, take PNVs if you can stomach them, give your body the tasty stuff it's craving, and tell your husband not to stress you out about this!
  • Options
    acunamatadaacunamatada member
    edited December 2017
    zg49 said:
    I also saw the original post but edited my comment before I sent it because you edited yours. I do agree that your husband needs therapy - that is emotional abuse and may only get worse as the pregnancy goes along. If anything were to happen to your baby, 99% of the time it isn't because of something you did and if your husband is already saying things like this, parenting with him will be a major challenge. 
    This. I didn't see the original post but from what the other women are saying, that behavior raises some red flags and makes me wonder whether he acts like this in other aspects of your life as well. This kind of emotional abuse and control is a very slippery slope and usually begins or escalates when a woman becomes pregnant. It sounds like he could benefit from counseling, at a minimum. Please take care of yourself. 
  • Options
    My ex husband was incredibly controlling. He did things like this, and he's an ex for a reason. When I finally started to grow a back bone, he became more obsessive - eventually telling me he was going to take my son away.

Three years later he can barely keep up with the every other weekend thing. And he feeds our kid super junk food. ::eye roll::
  • Options
    OP also if you feel unsafe or feel he is too controling but do not feel comfortable putting it out here please please please send one of us a private message by clicking on the username. we would love to help you find some resources if you want some help. I hope you do not thibk we are over reacting but we are a community that cares A LOT and want to make everyone going through a hard time has support :) 
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Options
    @kat029 I'm so glad you're out of that situation! Good for you. <3
  • Options
    @tjlowry From the way you changed your response and went quiet it seems like you might not be ready to make any big changes or talk about it. That is okay, but you need to think about your safety too, and work on developing a plan of what you're going to do if you feel in danger. You have more than one person to protect now.
    If you're in the US there's a 24/7 Domestic Violence hotline available to talk about things like this. It's completely confidential and you can remain anonymous if you'd prefer. They can connect you to supports in your community be it a support group, counseling, safety planning, or just a good listening ear. 1(800)799-7233 this is the US national hotline, they can give you the number to DV services in your area. You don't need to do anything today, but save that number in your phone in case you change your mind in the future. 
  • Options
    Hello. Just wanted to chime in here again. I sincerely appreciate everyone's concern for my safety and emotional stability, but happy to tell you that I am fine. I did not intentionally "go dark" on this post, but I literally forgot I posted anything until this morning. I rarely have the time to scroll through community posts and definitely don't monitor the boards as it seems some do. 

My husband and I both work demanding corporate jobs, we're in the middle of moving, and of course the holidays with visiting both families who live out of state causes tensions. I edited my original post because I realized that the height of a marital argument when both work deadlines and the holidays were approaching, where hurtful things were said and quickly retracted and apologized for, could be taken completely out of context by an external "panel" of onlookers. It was not victim behavior. 

Perhaps it's because both my career and my Masters are based in consumer insights, but I find it particularly saddening when people are quick to overlook the true fears, frustrations, tensions, and pains that might be the truth behind words and instead jump straight to a band-aid labeling of their own judgement. 

It was also left unsaid that I had a severe eating disorder that I was hospitalized for 10 years ago and have since been hyper-sensitive to people monitoring my eating after years of professional nutritionists and doctors. And yes, I still see a counselor for those of you that suggested it. 

pretzellover  I sincerely appreciate your constructive advice and thoughtful reply. @4deep, I'm sorry you felt as thought I was just "bitching" about my "husband's control issues." Rest assured I will stay far away from this community of "support" from now on.

I came here looking for guidance and input from other expectant moms and was surprised to be met with what felt like a high school clique and a wave of judgement. I would ask that you treat others new to the community with greater openness and understanding.

• Options
    @tjlowry are you serious?! you were met with support and care given to a stranger who clearly doesn't care about this community.  and yes please do move on you were given thoughtful and kind answers based on literally nothing from you. 

• Options
    acunamatadaacunamatada member
    edited January 2018
    I’ll keep this short... Not a single woman on this board was attacking or judging you. You came to the board for input and guidance and we responded based on the information you provided (and later changed). I’m sorry you weren’t happy with the thoughtful, caring responses that were provided to you based off what sounded like a cry for help. 
  • Options
    also if you want to be treated "with respect" as you claim you weren't (which you were by the way) try respecting the group and offering suppor @tjlowry. It is pretty selfish and rude to just come only to post about yourself. so pleaE do not try to tell us how to treat peoppe when you cant be bothered to lend any support except to complain you did not get exactly what you were looking for. maybe if you hadn't ghosted and had actually engaged people could have had a more clear view of what was going on. did you ever think that some
    people here have been in abusive relationships before and with the way you acted did in fact mirror some of those signs? so they were acting out of concern and care? so next time you want to barge back in and complain pleaE dont

• Options
    I agree with all the comments here from the fellow mamas. I think they have all been super supportive. I see that you go to a counselor - good! if your husband hasn't gone with you, it might be a good idea for him to go with you a few time to understand your struggles and how he can better respond during your pregnancy. Hardest part is admitting there is a problem and even thought words were exchanged out of anger, if that's a frequent thing then it's called abuse. I hope things work out for you and you can move in a positive direction. But please don't bash on this group as we have all been super supportive if you care to read other threads. Best of luck!
  • Options
    @beanship well said! 
  • Options
    @kissableviv Thanks! In addition to going through years of therapy, my mom has been a huge support to me during my recovery over the past 10 years. (I can't believe it's been that long since I've been in active recovery!!) She worked with her own therapist on ways she could help support my health and recovery, so I've been fortunate enough to become very familiar with this kind of constructive support. 
  • Options
    I do not have a partner like that. I’m sorry.
  • Options
    @tjlowry I’m sorry that you are feeling judged. I really don’t think that is the place the responses were coming from. Additionally, you edited your post and so we all had minimal information to go on.

I applaud you disclosing your eating disorder. Just keep in mind that your body will take what it needs to nourish the baby, make sure you aren’t left behind. Yes, silly to say when you just miss ONE meal, but one meal becomes two meals, etc. 

My cousin struggled with anorexia during her teenage years, and it re-emerged during her pregnancy. Her baby was born a healthy 8 lbs and my cousin’s heart stopped during delivery because she did not take care of her body during pregnancy. I hope you have a safe and healthy pregnancy. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @beanship very constructive and well-said- there could definitely be someone out there that saw the OP and didnt speak up and needed to hear your words. Also, perhaps the OP will read them as well.
    Met: 1/21/2005
    Married: 6/27/2008
    DS: 3/14/2010 Planned, PG first try
    M/C 6/2012
    DD: 4/22/2013 Planned, UnDx Infertility, PG on our own
    BFP: 10/28/2016 Unplanned, HUGE SURPRISE! 
    M/C 12/12/2016
    BFP: 10/27/2017 Unplanned, HUGE SURPRISE
    EDD: 7/2/2018

Babysizer Manly Pregnancy Tracker