December 2017 Moms
Options

MoM's of Multiples - Check In

Re: MoM's of Multiples - Check In

• Options
    @wabash15 I think it’s because we already have twins at home and need the alcohol for survival! Lol

congrats ladies, brings back so many memories for me! Your babies are all adorable! 

Id be up for a moms group too.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @clovelyone Having one baby in the NICU and the other at home was definitely both physically and emotionally exhausting. I'm so glad you have both your babies home with you now! 
  • Options
    Ditto @clovelyone. I’m so happy that your whole family is home!

how are you mamas doing?  How has it been having everyone home?
  • Options
    Thanks, @leilagphillips @breezybee! It's not easy with two, but at least my SO really does his share. It will definitely be challenging once he goes back to work (nights) on Wed. I should have ordered my Twin Z breastfeeding pillow a long time ago so I can tandem feed. I'm currently pumping and try to get them to latch, but that pillow is helpful for tandem bottle feeding too. I guess I'll need to come up with something creative until it gets here. I'm glad we have absolutely nothing to do today! No NICU, no appointments or anything. 
  • Options
    @clovelyone My DH goes back to work tomorrow and I'm also nervous about it. My mom will be here some days the first couple of weeks that he's back though, so hopefully, that will help me transition. I can see from my Amazon thank you list that my work colleagues bought me the Twin Z, so I'm hoping they'll have it sent directly to me rather than wait to give it to me. I'm also exclusively pumping right now and just working on latch with my babies, but they don't get any nutrition that way (and I'm fortifying my pumped breast milk with Neosure to increase the calories). I hadn't thought of using the Twin Z for tandem bottle feeding, so thanks for the idea!

@breezybee Having them both home is tiring, but wonderful. It's amazing seeing how much they change and grow every day!
  • Options
    @leilagphillips You're welcome! My parents will come over during the day and  early evening and my SO said his mom come stay the night a few nights a week. Those will definitely help, but I'm still going to worry LOL. I'm also pumping and fortifying for my baby girl and trying to latch with both. The nipple shields help a lot. Also, I agree with you about watching them grow. I'm so in love and still can't believe that they're mine. 
  • Options
    The twin z pillow is how I survived for months! I put the pillow on the couch, put the babies in it and then sat on a stool to feed them! It worked the best for me! As they got a little older I rolled some towels to prop the bottles up. Once they got a little bigger and started moving more, I used to infant chairs/rockers. I highly recommend the baby Bjorn rocker as well. I only had one and wished I had two!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @clovelyone and @leilagphillips the two on one can be hard but it is totally doable. I would say the hardest part for me was having to be OK/letting one baby cry while I was dealing with the other. They will be ok but sometimes you just need to finish with one before you can address the needs of the other. 

I am so happy for all the twin moms who have had their babies and that they are all home now. Twins though exhausting are such a blessing. mine are still so bonded. At first I wasn't sure if they cared about each other but then I started noticing that we would put them down in the bassinet on opposite sides and every time they would find their way next to one another. It all goes by in a blur of feedings, changings, and attempted naps, try to soak in those moments. 
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
    6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx
    IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

• Options
    I’m glad you’ll have some help from your mom @leilagphillips
    Hang in there you guys!  I’m happy to hear that you’re all loving these early days - it gives me something to look forward to :)
  • Options
    Thanks @tmk0325 and @wabash15! So far it's not so bad with my MIL here, but she won't be here every day. I'm sure I'll be exhausted, but I'll make it work when she isn't here. One more question, if you can't tandem feed, do you feed and burp one then the other or feed both then burp both? 
  • Options
    @clovelyone I would feed and burp one then move on to the other 

@breezybee good luck today!  Happy birthday girls!
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• Options
    Thanks @wabash15 :)
    although, our hospital just told me to not expect any calls for me to come in until 4pm. So now I’m just sitting around, anxiously waiting. I’m ready to get this show on the road!
  • Options
    @breezybee sorry they are keeping you waiting. I hope all goes well
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• Options
    Good luck @breezybee!! 
    DH: 34 | Me: 35
    DS1 9/24/13
    DX Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Factor V Leiden Mutation, Secondary Infertility
    MFI (SA #1
    Count 11mill, Motility: 18%, Morphology: 1%)
    MFI (SA #2Count 7 mill, Motility: 18%, Morphology: 1%)
    AMH .328 
    | FSH 13.2 
    Oct. 2016: Clomid + TI
    IVF: ER 3/1/17; 5 retrieved, 3 mature & fertilized
    Results: 2 PGS normal embryos
    Planned on August 2017 transfer
    **TW**
    Natural BFP 4/3/17,Expecting baby boy via RCS 12/7/17

• Options
    @clovelyone I would feed them both at the same time. Burp one, then burp the other, then resume feeding! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks @wabash15 and @tmk0325! My Twin Z pillow is here, but I need to wash the cover. Thanks for the tips!

Good luck @breezybee
  • Options
    @tmk0325 Congrats!!! Caroline is beautiful!!! What do the boys think about a sister?  

gosh I think that leaves me as the last pregnant one in the group!
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• Options
    How are you mamas doing?  @wabash15 hows the pregnancy?  Still hanging in there?
    AFM, I’m on day 5 of being a twin mom and loving it so much. It’s literally THE HARDEST thing I’ve ever done, but it’s true, you wouldn’t change it for anything. I’m finally getting a few hours of sleep here and there when they sleep - it was pretty touch and go for the first 3 days. I think slept a total of 4 hours.
    TWTWTW
    My delivery was soooooo traumatic and I lost a lot of blood due to them being unable to stop my hemorrhaging, and recovery has been really hard.  I’m still kind of recovering from what a horrible birth experience it was, and how scary the whole ordeal was, but it’s starting to get better. Ill just always feel really icky about it, I guess. 
    END TWTWTWTW
    My husband has really taken to fatherhood like a champ and it’s sooooooo cute to see how 
    much he loves them and he’s just such a good dad. Great swaddler, changes diapers like a pro, feeds and burps like a champ!  And he’s really trying to keep me off my feet while I get better.  My whole body has been really sore and swollen from the meds/etc.  
    The girls are such sweet angels babies. All
    I want to do is stare at their faces and smell their baby heads. Every day I love them more and more and I learn something new about being a mom. My husband took them to the pediatrician yesterday and a woman at Starbucks actually started crying because she thought they were so cute!  They’ve got a little jaundice, but it’s now working it’s way out of their system, and they need to eat every 2 hours drink the day to gain some more weight, so that’s what we’re working on in the immediate future. And trying to get more sleep :)
    ok, just wanted to do a quick check in while I pump - yes!  I just looked down and I have like 4oz of milk between my boobs. Yes!!
    ok I hope you guys are all doing well!
  • Options
    @breezybee hey lady! I'm hanging in there. Last night was the first time that I was ready to be done being pregnant... but otherwise we are just chugging along. two weeks or less to to. 
       I am so sorry that your birth experience was traumatic. It will fade with time, but there my always be some disappointment there. Try to focus on those beautiful babies. Being a twin mom is probably the hardest but also most rewarding thing ever. Just remember all that has to happen in a day is that you and the babies eat, you change some diapers and maybe put cloths on. everything else is a bonus!! I'm so glad DH is a great partner. getting 4 oz at this stage is AMAZING!! WAY TO PUMP!! give yourself some grace while you recover. hugs
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• Options
    @wabash15 hoping the next 2 weeks fly by for you!!!  You’ve been such a great help to all of us new twin moms (you and @tmk0325) so I’m happy your time is almost here to deliver your sweet baby!  

I hope everyone is doing well!! I think of all of you often, especially in the middle of the night while I’m up with the twins. I know you all are likely up with me, too!  <3
    About me:
    TTC#1: October 2015
    dx: PCOS & MFI
    IUI #1 w/Femara + Ovidrel June 2016 ~ BFP
    July 2016: Blighted Ovum
    IUI #2 w/Femara + Ovidrel September 2016 ~BFN
    IUI #3 w/Femara + Ovidrel October 2016 ~BFN
    IUI #4 w/Femara + Ovidrel November 2016 ~BFN
    IVF with ICSI January 2017 ~BFN
    FET February 2017 ~BFN
    IVF with ICSI March 2017 ~BFP--Twins Due 12/8/17
    Team Blue X 2!
  • Options
    @beary67 how are the boys doing?  Are you hanging in there?
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• Options
    Yeah, I second @beary67 when I say that @wabash15 and @tmk0325 have been such a great resource and support system for all
    of us new twin moms. It was so helpful to be able to get info and real life experience from you. Thanks so much you guys. 
    Hang in there @wabash15!  God, I can’t even imagine being pregnant for that long lol. They’re so active!
    @beary67 I hope you and those boys are doing well!
  • Options
    I also agree so many thanks @wabash15 and @tmk0325! I'm actually starting to feel like I kind of have things under control when alone. Sometimes I have trouble getting them to sleep when I want them to, but your advice has been so helpful.

@wabash15 FX your delivery goes as planned. 
  • Options
    Hopping on the bandwagon to also express my appreciation and gratitude for all the support and advice provided by @wabash15 and @tmk0325

Things here are pretty good, but we've been having some issues because neither of them can tolerate cow's milk protiens in my breast milk or formula. I've eliminated dairy from my diet, but I think it's still not completely out of all our systems (it takes two weeks). Evan has crazy gas and I think Ellie is constipated, despite the fact that she still poops pretty frequently... she's definitely in pain a lot of the time, which breaks my heart. I also think Ellie's having trouble tolerating the new (insanely expensive) hypoallergenic formula because she's spitting up way more frequently than she did before. I don't blame her though, the formula smells terrible. Once we get the insurance stuff straightened out for covering the formula, we'll be switching from exclusively fortified breast milk to just formula. I still feel kind of badly about not providing them breast milk for a longer period of time, but the stress, discomfort, and inconvenience of pumping throughout the day and night combined with now having to severely limit my diet has made me decide it will be better for my emotional and physical well being to just stop pumping or attempting to breast feed altogether. I know fed is best, but it's still a tough decision to have to make.

We also just had Evan's bris (circumcision) yesterday so caring for that is not my favorite thing.

In good news, they've been sleeping okay most nights and while I don't exactly feel "well rested," I also don't feel exhausted, so I'd call that a win! I am really excited about getting even more sleep once I cut out the pumping. I also have a whole box of holiday cookies waiting to be eaten once I can eat dairy again :)

• Options
    @leilagphillips Im sorry you had to make the official switch to formula. Before having kids, I didn’t think that was a big deal - the baby’s getting fed, right?  But, I know now that it’s a tough decision, so I totally understand how this may have been difficult for you to swallow. Fed is best, though, and that’s the important thing. And hey - right now, it’s 5:30am, my husband and I gave my babies bottles, and now my husband is asleep but I’m still up pumping.  So lame. So at least you’ve got that perk going for you!
  • Options
    @leilagphillips don't feel bad. you have to do what is best for you. with two you have so much going on and BF is no small task. Fed is best and your babies will be amazing no matter what. Big hugs.
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• Options
    @wabash15 @breezybee Thanks for your support ladies. I'd known with twins we might end up going the formula route, but I'd really looked forward to breastfeeding at least some of the time just for that bonding experience, so I'm kind of sad that neither of them could really get the hang of it. I definitely won't miss the pumping though!!! 
  • Options
    @leilagphillips I get that. Also it can take a VERY long time for them (and you) to get the hang of BF. DD did not transfer from me till she was almost 8 weeks old and even then it took several weeks for her to get good at it. I do understand the sadness that comes with the end of a BF journey. Every drop you gave them was wonderful and you will still bond in other ways. Hugs again.
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• Options
    @leilagphillips I agree that you had to make the right decision for you. I'm pumping for baby A only and it's exhausting to me. I've tried latching with nipple shields successfully, but without being sure how much they are getting, I'm afraid they won't get enough. I am also going through the gassy phase. My poor babies look and sound so uncomfortable and I hate feeling like there's nothing I can do. One is on breast milk fortified with high calorie formula and the other is on straight formula. Both are extremely gassy so I'm not sure of the cause. The doc prescribed gas drops, but we've been using them with every feeding since Thursday and they are still gassy. They fart it out more with the meds, but the gas is still stuck in their tummies. 
  • Options
    How are you doing @wabash15
    DS1 9/24/13
    MFI (SA #1
    AMH .328 
    | FSH 13.2 
    **TW**

• Options
    Sorry I’ve been mia ladies! Caroline is 3 weeks old today! She’s eating like a champ about 4 ozs every 3-4 hours. As I mentioned to a few of you I decided to just formula feed before we even left the hospital. I think I had some built up anxiety from the twins and everything that went with pumping the last time (pretty much everything you new twin moms are facing), that when I was crying on day 2 of her using me as a pacifier I knew I didn’t want to do it. With that said, yes I feel a bit guilty, but my sanity was more important especially with a newborn and twin tornadoes at Home! For those of you struggling, fed is ultimately best and you need to do what works best for you and your babies!  
    Im happy to have helped with some stories and advice! Just remember that every day will get a little bit easier! 

If you ladies want to do a private twin group let me know I can probably get one set up!

also, @wabash15 did you have your baby yet?!? :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @marley629 it's so sweet of you to check on me! @tmk0325 same for you! Well we turned team pink last night! We had a successful vbac. The twins seem to love her. DD keeps calling her "my baby" and DS loves to give her kisses. Talk about melting my heart.

i am also happy to help with any of the nursing/pumping mammas. Like others have said fed is best so do what you need for your sanity.

@clovelyone have you tried bicycling or abdominal massage? That can help? It may also be the formula... sometimes a different brand helps. Hugs it's hard when they are fussy and uncomfortable 
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• Options
    Yay @wabash15 CONGRATULATIONS on your sweet baby girl!!!  How exciting :)
    Hugs mama!
  • Options
    @wabash15 Congrats on your baby girl! I'm so glad the twins love her, that's so sweet! 

@tmk0325 I would really like for us to have a private fb group, it's so much easier to got on there than TB. If you set one up I'll definitely join.

@clovelyone Thanks for your support!  I hope your LO's tummies start feeling better soon!

I ended up holding off on ending the pumping because when I went to stop I realized I felt way worse about not pumping than I did about not eating dairy. It's a good thing I decided to stick it out too, because it turns out our insurance is saying they won't let us put the cost of formula toward our deductible. To feed both of them on just the special formula (rather than just fortifying my milk) is going to cost us over $1,000 a MONTH! Sooo... we're trying to figure out what to do and are going to see if we can get the insurance company to change their decision. Our pediatrician is doing everything they can to help us; getting us free samples, filling out forms to get us discounts, etc. but it's all just been very stressful and frustrating. We did switch Ellie to formula most of the time because she was spitting out the fortified milk, so now she gets formula for most feeds and straight breast milk once or twice a day. Thankfully, Evan's been happy to eat the fortified milk. If we can get the formula costs figured out, I think I'm going to start weaning off pumping on January 10, when they hit two months because this no dairy/soy diet is starting to really suck!
  • Options
    Yayy!! Congratulations @wabash15  
    DS1 9/24/13
    MFI (SA #1
    AMH .328 
    | FSH 13.2 
    **TW**

• Options
    @leilagphillips sorry about insurance, it's amazing how much the special formula can cost. Hugs. Have you checked to see if your milk is high I. Lipase?
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• Options
    Congrats @wabash15!!!!  I’m so happy it all seems to be going well!! 
    About me:
    TTC#1: October 2015
    dx: PCOS & MFI
    IUI #1 w/Femara + Ovidrel June 2016 ~ BFP
    July 2016: Blighted Ovum
    IUI #2 w/Femara + Ovidrel September 2016 ~BFN
    IUI #3 w/Femara + Ovidrel October 2016 ~BFN
    IUI #4 w/Femara + Ovidrel November 2016 ~BFN
    IVF with ICSI January 2017 ~BFN
    FET February 2017 ~BFN
    IVF with ICSI March 2017 ~BFP--Twins Due 12/8/17
    Team Blue X 2!
  • Options
    Congratulations @wabash15! It's cute that your twins are so excited. The bicycling helps make them fart, but they are always gassy and it doesn't prevent the gas. I've tried abdominal massage, but it didn't seem to do anything. Thanks for the tips though! I'm also wondering if it is the formula, but baby girl is drinking fortified breast milk so IDK. We've switched from the powder back to the ready made liquid for baby boy (he's always been straight formula), but still fortifying baby girl's breast milk with the powder. The doc told us to use gas drops, but they are still gassy. After about 2 weeks they are a little less gassy, but it's not good enough. I'm going to call the office tomorrow. 

@tmk0325 I'd love to join a private Facebook group. I'll inbox you my email address. 

@leilagphillips That's crazy it's so expensive for the formula! I hope it all works out for you.