November 2017 Moms

Breast feeding

Re: Breast feeding

• Since I am exclusively pumping, my goal is breast milk for a year. As soon as I have enough of a stash to get close, I’m stopping pumping. The rate I accumulate it will probably be 5ish months to get there. Currently he eats 24oz a day and then I freeze 24-32 on top of that so I’m at minimum keeping a full day a head and sometimes more
    BFP #1: 1.22.16                 MMC: 2.29.16 ( tetrasomy 11, partial deletion 1, XXX) D&C: 3.2.16
    BFP #2: 4.14.16                 CP: 4.17.16
    BFP #3: 6.10.2016             CP: 6.17.16
    RE appt: 6.27.2016- saline sono all clear
    Progenity: + carrier Tay-Sachs, Gaucher's, hemachromatosis. DH: carrier Alpha 1 anti-trypsin
    PCOS, hypothyroid, MTHFR, hx of LEEP in 2006
    Clomid + TI Cycle #1: 50mg Trigger 8.24.2016- BFN
    Clomid 75mg + IUI#1 9.25.2016- BFP #4 10/6
    Beta #1 15   Beta #2 38    Beta #3- 71     beta #4 171   Beta # 5- 21  Natural MC 10/21
    HSG- clear
    IVF Jan 2017
    Egg Retrieval 1.22.17: 32 eggs retrieved,29 mature, 24 fertilized, 14 to blastocyst for biopsy
    PGS results: 4 PGS normal 2 XX, 2 XY
    FET: 3.13.2017 for 2 PGS embryos
    Beta#1: 3.24.2017......... 78; Beta # 2 241; Beta #3 4198
    Baby BOY due 11.29.2017

• I’m hoping to nurse for a year+ (likely only at night before bedtime after the first year), and introduce solid foods around 6mo or whenever she starts to show an inclination. 

My office is 2 blocks from the birth center with LCs. My husband is also very supportive. It will come down to work and how flexible my firm is about pumping. 

On a different note, I think my supply has dropped during our holiday travels. :(  My pumping output is definitely down. I’ll be adding extra pumping sessions to try an bring the supply back. And guzzle water and lactation bites. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Ladies who work, pumping breaks are federally mandated. They are required to allow you breaks and a place to pump that isn't a bathroom for a year.  
  • I BF exclusively for 3 mos with DD then pumped and BF when I returned to work after leave. I pumped until 12 months then just BF at nights and weekends until 14 mos when she self-weaned. I was sad but also ready at that point.
    as of right now my plan is to stay home with this LO so I will keep BFing as long as it works for both of us. My husband is super supportive which helps tremendously. The cluster feeds are hard so I’m hoping that tapers off soon.
  • @MaximumEffort they are federally mandated but they don't have to pay you and the don't have to be very long. Also I think its only two a day (plus your lunch). I think if your employer sticks with the bare minimum, it can be very tough for some women. 
  • Lately my daughter will only nurse if I am standing and moving around, holding her like i’m playing air guitar. Funny the first time, but now my wrists and forearms are killing me!
  • My goal is at least 18 months but would like to make it to two years. DD 2 breastfed until she was almost 2.5. My DH is really supportive of breastfeeding and I will be taking LO to work with me which makes BF that long much easier. 
  • Truthfully I’m taking it one month at a time. I had a traumatic delivery with my first that led to no/low supply so we didn’t make it long. It’s going better this time but Graham’s weight gain has been slower, he seems VERY sensitive to somethimg I’m eating (trying to cut dairy but still so fussy and gassy). Last my husband and family aren’t so supportive, my husband sees how bright and healthy our daughter is and says formula was easier, he could help more then, graham would be less fussy etc if we switched. We’re traveling with his family starting tomorrow and they are VERY uncomfortable with me nursing in front of them so just a lot stacked against me next week. I’m a stay at home mom so it is so much better when it’s just me and the kids at home! :)
  • @Polythene Pam Sorry to hear about the struggles. Hopefully traveling with his family goes well. Do you have a pump and maybe could you pump some milk so your DH could help at times? Just a thought.
  • @dragonfly87-2 we do, so that my husband can feed him while I get our daughter to bed and give her some special one on one time. Graham has just been extra gassy and fussy lately and my husband always thinks he’s hungry and not getting enough from me. I think he has selective memory since our formula fed daughter went through VERY fussy times too. I’m pretty good at ignoring him but this fussy stage and my husband being home for a week here will be a challenge since I know everyone will keep asking if he “maybe just needs a bottle??” I’ll just be anxious for our 2 month appt after we get home, if graham is gaining enough that’ll boost my confidence against any negative people. (We went last week and his growth was ok but a little slow)
  • @Polythene Pam ugh my mother and mother in law think that any time DD cries or is fussy she must be hungry. Like she could literally have just fed for 20 minutes and if she cries 5 min later they ask if she is hungry. It drives me crazy. Hopefully your in laws stop suggesting the formula and the weight check goes well!
  • @Polythene Pam if it's a dietary sensitivity it takes about 2-3 weeks to see a change and whatever LO is sensitive to takes a month to chest their system. My DH used to always jump to DS being hungry. I told him there are other things for DS to want or be. Now he does go through the check list and understands that LO is going to be fussy at some point, especially night time when he is done being stimulated by the world. 
  • My first 2 self weaned at 8-9months is my goal is to make it to 8-9mon with no formula. THe first 2 had formula and breast milk as I couldn’t pump and I was working. She will start solids around 4-6mon we’ll see what she needs. I’m definitely NOT drinking enough water!!! She is gaining though and eats every 3hrs during the day and 4-5 at night. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • dragonfly87-2dragonfly87-2 member
    edited December 2017
    I give up! Nothing will get rid of this plugged duct. I have tried epsom salts soaks, warm compresses, acupuncture, vibration on the plug, sunflower letichin, increased nursing, increased water intake and massage. I even tried popping a bleb/blister with a sterile needle. It's been 5 days and it's still there. 
  • The trip is going ok! MIL keeps holding graham and as soon as he fusses asks when she can feed a bottle, or keeps him until he’s over hungry screaming which is really fun to latch him then... but I’ve held my ground. I let her do the one nighttime bottle that we do so that helps, kind of. Still asks 50x a day if maybe a bottle would help him but I just explain (again) that then I’d need to pump and I really hate that stupid pump haha.
  • @Polythene Pam do you ask her if she exhausted all other possibilities? I used to tell DH "Its not always hunger", and now he goes through the list.  MIL should realise that there are other ways to bond,  I'm sure LO always appreciates having his diaper changed. 
    Good for you holding your ground. 
  • Polythene PamPolythene Pam member
    edited December 2017
    @MaximumEffort yea I tried, her response is “I had 3 kids I know.” my husband finally sees that now though by being home all week so he’s helping tone her down a bit. 
  • My nana didn't understand why my mom breastfed us kids. Cause "playtex drops ins worked just fine, they're not good enough for you?".  I'd do the lip check. Touch LOs lower lip and unless they lunge they aren't hungry. 
  • @dragonfly87-2 I have no advice or experience, but I am so sorry you're going through this :(
  • @jarob747 Thank you for the kind note. I am just going to keep doing everything and hope it resolves soon. I have a doctor's appointment next week for a post-partum follow up, might have to ask for antibiotics or something from my OB.
  • @dragonfly87-2 Did you try dangle feeding? Hope you get relief soon!
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • @dragonfly87-2 I'd recommend asking a lactation consultant or your OB for a referral for therapeutic ultrasound. It's done by physical therapists, and it just feels like a warm massage, but it did amazing things for me when my entire breast was clogged due to mastitis. 
  • @NYTino24 I tried dangle feeding a few times, no luck.

@RiverSong15 thanks for the suggestion, I will ask this week. I think I found another bleb, but no luck removing or popping it. I have had this clog for a week and nothing has unblocked it. Hopefully therapeutic ultrasound will help! 
  • I feel like I jinxed myself by saying no real difficulties with breastfeeding so far. This has been a very trying week. First the clogged that won't unclog. And now LO us super fussy during feedings. I try to burp her, different positions and try to calm her down, but she will sometimes refuse to latch despite being clearly hungry. She was so fussy earlier I gave up and offered a bottle, which she sucked down. 

Ugh I am over this week. Oh and I am getting menstrual cramps which sucks.
  • @dragonfly87-2 we’ve had that too, especially traveling and people handing graham to me way over-hungry. I started him on a bottle, then after he calmed I switched to the boob. Just something to try! Then I try to catch him just after he starts to stir for the next feeding so that it’s all boob the rest of the day. Hugs it’ll get better!
  • @dragonfly87-2 I hope it gets better for you really fast! I think I had ovulation "pain" yesterday. I sure hope not yet!!
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • @nytino24: thankks! I hope so too...I am mentally defeated at this point. In the past 24 hours, I have done 3 rounds of saline soak, then epsom soak, warm compresses, take ibupofen, oive oil on nipple, massage/vibrate and then dangle feed with her chin pointed at the duct (so basically upside down). Not even remotely loosened. Being a holiday weekend and the office closed, really sucks. I hope I can get in this week to resolve this.

Ugh on the O pain, that would suck if it is ovulation this early. FX it isn't. I really hope my period stays away for a year, it's been nice not having it monthly :)
  • @NYTino24. I put AM and Pm on my milk because my lactation consultant mentioned this. Who would have guessed your milk changed throughout the day?!?!
  • Milk changes even throughout a feeding and responds to the needs of the baby. It's quite fascinating.  
  • Interesting. I thought it was the other way around. At my breastfeeding class the LC mentioned evening milk had more melatonin to help the baby sleep. Im going to keep better track of this. I usually try and feed him fresh pumped from the most recent session but may change it up for bed time 
    BFP #1: 1.22.16                 MMC: 2.29.16 ( tetrasomy 11, partial deletion 1, XXX) D&C: 3.2.16
    BFP #2: 4.14.16                 CP: 4.17.16
    BFP #3: 6.10.2016             CP: 6.17.16
    RE appt: 6.27.2016- saline sono all clear
    Progenity: + carrier Tay-Sachs, Gaucher's, hemachromatosis. DH: carrier Alpha 1 anti-trypsin
    PCOS, hypothyroid, MTHFR, hx of LEEP in 2006
    Clomid + TI Cycle #1: 50mg Trigger 8.24.2016- BFN
    Clomid 75mg + IUI#1 9.25.2016- BFP #4 10/6
    Beta #1 15   Beta #2 38    Beta #3- 71     beta #4 171   Beta # 5- 21  Natural MC 10/21
    HSG- clear
    IVF Jan 2017
    Egg Retrieval 1.22.17: 32 eggs retrieved,29 mature, 24 fertilized, 14 to blastocyst for biopsy
    PGS results: 4 PGS normal 2 XX, 2 XY
    FET: 3.13.2017 for 2 PGS embryos
    Beta#1: 3.24.2017......... 78; Beta # 2 241; Beta #3 4198
    Baby BOY due 11.29.2017

• NYTino24NYTino24 member
    edited January 2018
    @DungeonTrollMel me too... because the nighttime milk helps them sleep longer. I'm going to do more research. So far what I see is empty breasts (night time because baby has fed all day) have more fat. But the above talks about protein and not fat. Either way, knowing when milk was collected is important to think about. :) 

https://kellymom.com/nutrition/milk/change-milkfat/

• I think my cycle is trying to start too. :( I was really hoping it would be a while before dealing with that. But, I had an IUD inserted at 8wk pp, and I’m starting to wonder if the IUD hormones triggered my cycle. 

I recall reading (or overhearing the LC at the breastfeeding group mention) that your milk taste and supply changes when your cycle starts.  Does that ring a bell to anyone? Might explain why my daughter went from being totally fine with the bottles to really fighting them again. 
  • My goal is one year at a minimum. I breastfed my daughter for 18 months before she self weaned. I’d be willing to go longer (2 years) if he is still interested. This time around seems to be easier so far. The first time I had bouts of mastitis and a clogged duct. It’s still early and I’m not back to work for another 6 weeks but I’m hoping it continues to go well! 
  • @curiousfool1 I have heard that too. I don’t remember having any issues with my older DD but she was a lot older and eating more solid food, so I may not have noticed.

Is there any way to tell how many ounces your LO is eating when they breastfeed? 
  • dragonfly87-2dragonfly87-2 member
    edited January 2018
    @littlemissc17 they have tech products but probably arent worth it. Best bet is to see where your local La Leche league meets or if your hospital has a breastfeeding support group. They can do a weigh in where they get a starting weight, you you feed baby and they weigh again. To calculate ounces consumed. It isn't for every feeding but can give you an idea.
  • @littlemissc17 The best way is with a baby scale, but if you don't have one, a breastfeeding group or LaLeche League may. You can also use a digital home scale and weigh yourself with / without baby and subtract to find the difference before and after.

• So once DD starts sleeping longer at the night, do I need to pump since she isn't feeding? I don't want supply to drop or get plugged ducts, but it would be nice to sleep longer than 4 hour stretches.