Anyone change practice after second opinion? (Child mentioned & loss mentioned) — The Bump

Anyone change practice after second opinion? (Child mentioned & loss mentioned)

Wondering if anyone changed fertility practices after a second opinion and their feelings about that decision? Little background my DH and I had our DS 2.5 years ago after our second natural cycle IUI. I have low ovarian reserve and my husband has decreased sperm count. We were in the city at that time and have since moved to the suburbs and started with a different doctor. We’ve been with our current practice the past 18 months and have had 6 IUI, 1 miscarriage, 1 FET (BFN) and 1 IVF with no viable eggs. We met with a second practice yesterday and the doctor had some really interesting ideas how to make my next few rounds of IVF successful, but I feel like I’m somehow “cheating” on my current doctor. Anyone else been in the same position?

Re: Anyone change practice after second opinion? (Child mentioned & loss mentioned)

  • Yes, I have actually been treated by 3 REs (consulted with an additional two), and it took me until my third RE to find the right protocol for my DOR. I went from having a cancelled IVF and then only retrieving 2 eggs on second IVF (at a nationally well known clinic with amazing stats) to a new RE that got me 8 mature eggs on my third attempt. I would absolutely reco second/third opinions and switching clinics! You are not cheating at all, and clinics are used to patients switching and won't take it personally. We like to think they are super invested in us personally, but the reality is we are just one patient of many to them...
    History in Spoiler

    Age: 30 (same with DH). Together since 2006, Married June 2013 and TTC since August 2015
    Diagnosis: Mild Endo, DOR (AMH of 1.5), Poor Quality Eggs/embryos, Displaced Window of Implantation (ERA Post Receptive)
    March-May 2016: 1 TI and 2 IUIs- BFN 
    June 2016- Laproscopy- found/removed mild endo and confirmed only 1 normal healthy ovary.
    August 2016- IVF #1 with Antagonist Protocol- Cancelled (2 lead follies), converted to IUI- BFN
    Oct-Nov 2016- IVF #2 with Estrogen Priming Micro Lupron Protocol, 2 eggs retrieved, day 3 transfer of 1- BFN
    January 2017- New RE, IVF#3 with Estrogen Priming Antagonist Protocol, 12 eggs, 8 mature, 6 fertilized, 2 day 5 early blasts transferred (none to freeze :(), BFN
    May 2017- Sept 2017- Starting Donor Egg process! Waiting for donor to be available... and then she is pregnant at baseline :(
    Oct 2017- Donor #2: 25R, 22M,18F, 12 blasts frozen! Fresh transfer cancelled due to thin lining with fluid :(
    Nov 2017- Hysterscopy to remove polyp
    Dec 2017- DE FET #1 on 12/8 on 2 perfect blasts- BFN and devastated
    Jan-Mar 2018- ERA #1- Post receptive by 24 hours, ERA #2 RECEPTIVE with 4 days of Progesterone
    Apr 2018- DE FET cancelled for lining issues :(
    Jun 2018- DE FET #2 of two 1AA blasts- first BFP ever! Beta 10dp5dt- 378, Beta 14dp5dt- 2840, Beta 16dp5dt- 4035, beta 18dp5dt- 10916. Due on 2/20 with one baby after a vanishing twin
  • Yes!  I'm currently on my 6th RE and I finally feel like this one is the one.  I've found it really hard to find an RE with a good bedside manner and one that will be honest about my chances of conceiving.  In the end of the day, medicine is a service industry and if you're not happy with your service, go elsewhere!!  
    TTC since August 2014 
    Me: 41, Him: 43 

    DX: Unexplained secondary infertility 

    Multiple months of Clomid/Femara
    End of March 2015: BFP with Femara! Saw heartbeat at 5.5 weeks. M/C at 11 weeks
    Multiple more months of Femara
    IUI #1 with Femara and Follistem 75 units: BFN
    IUI #2 with Follistem 150 units: BFN
    Dec 2015: 1st IVF. 10 eggs retrieved with 8 eggs fertilized.  5 day transfer of two embryos with 2 frozen embies. BFN
    January 2016: FET #1 2 embryos: BFN
    March 2016: 2nd IVF cycle. 4 eggs retrieved with 2 fertilized. Quick two day transfer of both embryos: BFN
    April/May 2016 IVF #3. 11 eggs retrieved. 10 mature.  7 fertilized.  2 5AA blasts transferred 5/11/2016 BFN
    September 2016 IVF #4: 17 follicles growing, premature ovulation through Cetrotide. Retrieval cancelled. 
    April 2017 IVF #5: 9 follicles growing, 6 eggs retrieved with 5 fertilized. Transfer of three blasts. BFN
    June 2017: IVF #6: 2 follicles growing, 5 eggs retrieved with 5 fertilized. Transfer of 5 3-day embryos. Chemical pregnancy. BFN
    Nov/Dec 2017: Donor egg cycle. 33 eggs retrieved, 26 mature. 26 fertilized. 
  • Thank you for your feedback! It’s been really helpful, we are going to make the switch in January! 
  • I would absolutely switch. We had 6 failed IUI's with our first clinic, and our only next option was the standard IVF protocol. We consulted with a different clinic, and had the option to try a mini IVF with several modifications that fit our needs; it was a much more personalized plan and I'm SO thankful we made the switch. Do it!

    Me 31 DH 33 Married since July 2010
    TTC #1 since June 2015 ----> MFI (High DNA Fragmentation) & Mild endometriosis
    Aug 2016 - May 2017  6 IUI's with letrozole - BFN
    April 2017 - laparoscopy to remove mild endo
    June 2017 - Mini IVF letrozole 12.5mg, Gonal-F 75IU - Cancelled early ovulation, no eggs retrieved. 
    Aug/Sept 2017 - Mini IVF letrozole 12.5mg, Gonal-F 75IU, cetrotide - 13 eggs retrieved, 11 mature
    5 eggs ICSI'd 6 eggs frozen - 1 day 5 blast transfered, 2 expanded blast frozen - BFP!

  • You have to do what is best for you and your husband and your future family. It is not wrong at all to get a second opinion. If you feel at peace with what the second doctor is saying, then go for it girl! Praying for you guys! 
  • It's about doing what's best for you. If you aren't getting results, there is no harm in trying somewhere else.

  • I’m currently with my third clinic for treatment and consulted with an additional two. I say move... sometimes a different lab or protocol or insight can make al the difference.

  • I used one clinic for egg freezing five years ago, another for my first three IVF cycles this year, and (after taking the summer off) a third for my last IVF and first FET.  My first three cycles yielded one PGS normal from 36 eggs retrieved (total, not all mature - 0+5+3 blasts), and my 4th cycle with the new RE and new protocol yielded 4 normals from 10 blasts (33 eggs retrieved).  Protocol and lab do make a difference.

    It was much easier than I thought it would be to switch - I had all of my records from my previous clinics, and the timing (natural start, no priming) was such that our initial consultation with the new RE was on 8/31 and my egg retrieval was not quite a month later on 9/28.  I agree with previous posters that you have to look out for yourself and do what’s best for you.

    Incidentally, my old RE is joining my new RE’s practice next month.  One of the nurses suggested that that might be awkward for me, but honestly it didn’t even cross my mind.  I think I had even talked to her (my first RE this year) before about looking into other doctors/clinics/labs since it wasn’t going so well for me.  I think it’s very reasonable.
    About me:
    Married 6/18/16 (Me 40.5, DH 43), TTC #1
    Natural BFP 8/10/16 --> mc our NIPT-normal little girl at 11w5d on 10/1/16 :(
    As of 12/2016:  AMH 1.42, FSH 6.1, AFC ~10
    Self-benched Nov-Dec 2016 for
    IVF #1 Jan-Feb 2017 (OCP, testosterone primed antagonist w/HGH - ER 2/2/17 - 12R, 7M ICSI'd, 3F, 0B)
    IVF #2 Mar-Apr 2017 (testosterone primed agonist/luteal lupron w/HGH - ER 4/8/17 - 10R, 8M, 8F, 5B, 1 PGS normal)
    IVF #3 May-Jun 2017 (testosterone primed agonist/luteal lupron w/HGH - ER 6/4/17 - 14R, 5F, 3B, 0 normal)
    **New RE**
    IVF #4 Sept 2017 (natural start microdose lupron flare w/HGH - ER 9/28/17 - 33R, 18F, 10B, 4 PGS normals!)
    FET #1 (medicated) of one PGS normal XX 11/2/17 - Beta #1 11/11/17 (153), Beta #2 11/13/17 (324), mc at 5w1d on 11/19/17 :(
    IVF #5 Dec 2017 - Insemination of 9 frozen eggs from 2012 (8F, 1B, 0 normal)
    Jan 2018 - Natural cycle ERA (normal/receptive) & stimming for
    IVF #6 Jan-Feb 2018 (natural start microdose lupron flare w/HGH - ER 2/3/18 - 17R, 6M, 4F, 0 blasts)
    IVF #7 Feb 2018 (natural start microdose lupron flare w/HGH - ER 2/26/18 - 19R, 9M, 9F, 4B, 2 PGS normals)
    FET #2 (natural cycle w/o trigger, w/P4 support) of one PGS normal XX 4/5/18 - Beta #1 4/14/18 (67), Beta #2 4/16/18 (231)
    Rainbow baby girl due 12/21/2018!

    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Pregnancy Ticker

Sign In or Register to comment.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards