Anyone change practice after second opinion? (Child mentioned & loss mentioned)

Wondering if anyone changed fertility practices after a second opinion and their feelings about that decision? Little background my DH and I had our DS 2.5 years ago after our second natural cycle IUI. I have low ovarian reserve and my husband has decreased sperm count. We were in the city at that time and have since moved to the suburbs and started with a different doctor. We’ve been with our current practice the past 18 months and have had 6 IUI, 1 miscarriage, 1 FET (BFN) and 1 IVF with no viable eggs. We met with a second practice yesterday and the doctor had some really interesting ideas how to make my next few rounds of IVF successful, but I feel like I’m somehow “cheating” on my current doctor. Anyone else been in the same position?

Re: Anyone change practice after second opinion? (Child mentioned & loss mentioned)

  • Yes, I have actually been treated by 3 REs (consulted with an additional two), and it took me until my third RE to find the right protocol for my DOR. I went from having a cancelled IVF and then only retrieving 2 eggs on second IVF (at a nationally well known clinic with amazing stats) to a new RE that got me 8 mature eggs on my third attempt. I would absolutely reco second/third opinions and switching clinics! You are not cheating at all, and clinics are used to patients switching and won't take it personally. We like to think they are super invested in us personally, but the reality is we are just one patient of many to them...
    History in Spoiler

    Age: 30 (same with DH). Together since 2006, Married June 2013 and TTC since August 2015
    Diagnosis: Mild Endo, DOR (AMH of 1.5), Poor Quality eggs based on poor embryo development
    March-May 2016: 1 TI and 2 IUIs- BFN 
    June 2016- Laproscopy- found/removed mild endo and confirmed only 1 normal healthy ovary.
    August 2016- IVF #1 with Antagonist Protocol- Cancelled (2 lead follies), converted to IUI- BFN
    Oct/Nov 2016- IVF #2 with Estrogen Priming Micro Lupron Protocol, 2 eggs retrieved, day 3 transfer of 1 4-cell (4/4 quality) embryo- BFN
    January 2017- New RE, IVF#3 with Estrogen Priming Antagonist Protocol, 12 eggs, 8 mature, 6 fertilized, 2 day 5 early blasts transferred (none to freeze :(), BFN
    May 2017- Sept 2017- Starting Donor Egg process! Waiting for donor to be available... and then she is pregnant at baseline :(
    Oct 2017- Donor #2: 25R, 22M,18F, 12 blasts frozen! Fresh transfer cancelled due to thin lining with fluid :(
    Nov 2017- Hysterscopy to remove polyp
    Dec 2017- FET on 12/8!!
  • Yes!  I'm currently on my 6th RE and I finally feel like this one is the one.  I've found it really hard to find an RE with a good bedside manner and one that will be honest about my chances of conceiving.  In the end of the day, medicine is a service industry and if you're not happy with your service, go elsewhere!!  
    TTC since August 2014 
    Me: 41, Him: 43 

    DX: Unexplained secondary infertility 

    Multiple months of Clomid/Femara
    End of March 2015: BFP with Femara! Saw heartbeat at 5.5 weeks. M/C at 11 weeks
    Multiple more months of Femara
    IUI #1 with Femara and Follistem 75 units: BFN
    IUI #2 with Follistem 150 units: BFN
    Dec 2015: 1st IVF. 10 eggs retrieved with 8 eggs fertilized.  5 day transfer of two embryos with 2 frozen embies. BFN
    January 2016: FET #1 2 embryos: BFN
    March 2016: 2nd IVF cycle. 4 eggs retrieved with 2 fertilized. Quick two day transfer of both embryos: BFN
    April/May 2016 IVF #3. 11 eggs retrieved. 10 mature.  7 fertilized.  2 5AA blasts transferred 5/11/2016 BFN
    September 2016 IVF #4: 17 follicles growing, premature ovulation through Cetrotide. Retrieval cancelled. 
    April 2017 IVF #5: 9 follicles growing, 6 eggs retrieved with 5 fertilized. Transfer of three blasts. BFN
    June 2017: IVF #6: 2 follicles growing, 5 eggs retrieved with 5 fertilized. Transfer of 5 3-day embryos. Chemical pregnancy. BFN
    Nov/Dec 2017: Donor egg cycle. 33 eggs retrieved, 26 mature. 26 fertilized. 
  • Thank you for your feedback! It’s been really helpful, we are going to make the switch in January! 
  • I would absolutely switch. We had 6 failed IUI's with our first clinic, and our only next option was the standard IVF protocol. We consulted with a different clinic, and had the option to try a mini IVF with several modifications that fit our needs; it was a much more personalized plan and I'm SO thankful we made the switch. Do it!

    Me 31 DH 33 Married since July 2010
    TTC #1 since June 2015 ----> MFI (High DNA Fragmentation) & Mild endometriosis
    Aug 2016 - May 2017  6 IUI's with letrozole - BFN
    April 2017 - laparoscopy to remove mild endo
    June 2017 - Mini IVF letrozole 12.5mg, Gonal-F 75IU - Cancelled early ovulation, no eggs retrieved. 
    Aug/Sept 2017 - Mini IVF letrozole 12.5mg, Gonal-F 75IU, cetrotide - 13 eggs retrieved, 11 mature
    5 eggs ICSI'd 6 eggs frozen - 1 day 5 blast transfered, 2 expanded blast frozen - BFP!

  • You have to do what is best for you and your husband and your future family. It is not wrong at all to get a second opinion. If you feel at peace with what the second doctor is saying, then go for it girl! Praying for you guys! 
  • It's about doing what's best for you. If you aren't getting results, there is no harm in trying somewhere else.

Sign In or Register to comment.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards