June 2018 Moms

Weekly Questions 12/17

2»

Re: Weekly Questions 12/17

• @llamamama14 with our last pregnancy DH was laid off when we were around 16 weeks- so he came to all the appointments.  This time I only want him to come if he can (he works in retail so doesn't have an office and travels around the area.  Sometimes he works late and goes in late) or if there is a scan or at the end- when we are meeting the other doctors in the practice.  They are short 15 min appointments- but I like him to meet the other doctors that could be delivering the baby too.  
    me 35/ DH 39
    married 8/22/2015
    BFP#1- 4/2014 edd 1/1/15 mmc/d&c 6/2014
    BFP#2- 10/2015 edd- 6/29/2016 mmc/ d&c 12/2015
    BFP#3- 4/30/2016 DD1 12/27/16
    BFP#4- 9/26 edd 6/5/18

• So my concern with the protein, and I have to do more research on this because it was from a quick search after making a smoothie with protein powder and MH asking if it was safe, is that I read that too much protein and lack of fat can cause a vitamin A deficiency. 

But as @doxiemoxie212 described I'm probably getting more protein than I think especially being a meat eater and not experiencing any nausea or vomiting that would be limiting my protein intake.  
    *TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• Loading the player...
  • @llamamama14 My DH comes to the first one, then the anatomy scan and then he comes to all of the weekly appointments. (36-40 weeks) Last time I was told to go to labor and delivery at 39 weeks. Very happy he was there with me. 
  • I keep finding myself waking up on my stomach.  Usually at a weird angle where weight is resting on my front hip/pelvis bone. I constantly force myself to turn onto a side but almost always wake back up like this. My body will know when I can no longer do this and knock it off right? I know they have protection in there but I just keep thinking of how much I weigh pressing on this poor little peach sized babes. 
  • @amys614 I almost always sleep on my right stomach/hip. Like right arm stretched out under the pillow, left leg bent at the knee, right leg straight. So far I have almost no bump and the baby definitely isn't out far enough to be getting squished (14+2 FTM) but I am wondering at what point is it no longer safe? Like when it's not comfortable anymore? It has been hard enough to sleep so changing my position is not going to be fun. 
    *TW LC*

• @amys614 don’t stress what you do while sleeping.  It’s later in pregnancy when it becomes risky and trust me, the bump won’t let you sleep on your stomach then - even when you’re asleep!
  • @krashke I'm a stomach sleeper and my doc said that it will become too uncomfortable for you to sleep on your stomach before it could actually impose any harm - baby is well protected!
  • also @amys614 moving the EO's discussion over here...you will find a lot of mixed information on EO's. A lot of homeopathic professionals might say it's ok, reps from companies like DoTerra and Young Living will promote it, but there just isn't enough research or information to say for certain that they are safe. EO's are extremely concentrated, like 1 drop is the equivalent of 60 tea bags of the same herb. So IMO it's just best to stay away from. Also, pregnant or not you shouldn't be applying EO's directly to your skin. They should always be diluted with a pure carrier oil like refined coconut oil or jojoba oil. 

My final thoughs on EO's is that there is no government regulation of EO's or their claims. They can say "100% pure therapeutic grade" but that is just marketing. There is no organization that rates or grade the oils. There is no one testing the oils for their purity. Every claim you hear from a rep or a company regarding their oils is just some guy in an office who makes a lot more money than me who has a business degree in marketing doing his job. 

None of this is to say that I don't support EO's and their use. I think they have a lot of benefits but at this time it's not worth the risk for me so I will only diffuse them. Which is still questionable. With anything just ask your doctor and see what they say. 

@doxiemoxie212 said that her mom is a huge EO fan and a California hippie and doesn't agree with EO use during pregnancy. She can probably provide more information as well. 

*steps off soap box*
    *TW LC*

• @krashke yes! I sleep that exact way myself. My pre-baby pooch is definitely "poochier" but not necessarily a bump yet. Being awake, doesn't feel super comfortable on my stomach, yet I find myself constantly there. Think that's why I'm now partially on my hip bc total stomach is no longer feels right. Agree that this position changing stuff is not going to be a whole lot of pleasant. 

@Miz_Liz ok thank you! I figured my body would no longer allow this but was worried what to do in the meantime until it knows this. 
  • Do you call your doctor if you see a small amount of brown spotting on your underwear? The sheet my doctor gave me of "things to call about" only included bright red bleeding. I'm pretty sure a small bit of brown spotting is fine but wwyd?
    DD born 6/21/2018
    DS born 9/24/2020
  • @elsie42 My doc said to call if there was any bleeding. I think you should call I’d you feel uncomfortable. Your doc (or his/her nurse) can decide if it is worth coming in or not. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @llamamama14 DH came to all of my appointments with DS and he's planning on coming to all of my appointments this time around (except for the initial intake where they just went over my medical history and had me pee in a cup). I do most of my blood work on my own, but he did come with me to both of my 3 hour glucose tests because I wanted the company.

It's nice to have him at the appointments. Not only because my OB uses a doppler so we can hear the heartbeat every time, but also because sometimes we get so much information during an appointment that it's nice to have a second person there to help absorb everything and ask questions.
    Image result for can i interest you in a sarcastic comment
    Me: 33  DH: 34
    DS1: March 18, 2016
    DS2: due June 7, 2018
  • I'd just like to add to the general sentiment of "don't stress out about what you're doing when you're sleeping." When I was late in pregnancy, I'd wake up on my back all the time, which is supposed to be such a no-no, but it's really not a big deal. You wake up when it's too uncomfortable and before it becomes "unsafe."
    Me: 34 
    Husband: 35
    Married: June 2007
    Son Max born 1/10/17
    BFP #2: 10/5/17; EDD: 6/11/18
  • @Llamamama my case is weird bc I've had sooooo many OB appointments this pg (8 OB visits and one ER stop and I'm 15 weeks). My DH has been to 2. One with u/s & one when it was too early to see an u/s. But I have glad he was there bc it really allowed some of my issues to become "real" for him not just stuff I complain about and he gets to ask all the questions he wants. Like at the u/s he got to see how big my fibroid really are in relation to the baby and hear it from the doctor. When I was bleeding he got to hear the doctor say "I see it, this is never what I want to see." So it wasn't just like I was making a big deal over something insignificant. 
    Me:27 DH: 31 Married Since: 08/2016
    TTC: 08/2017 EDD: 6/11/2018 FTM
  • doxiemoxie212doxiemoxie212 member
    edited December 2017
    @krashke my mom is a huge hippie, but she actually just hates EOs in general. She doesn't like scents of any kind. I had read online that EOs are not great during pregnancy, so I don't use them much, but sometimes I'll use a diluted room spray or something for some ~~ambiance while I take a bath. I found a website a while back that listed which are safe and which are not... I'll try to see if I can find that... (ETA: I think it might be this? https://www.usingeossafely.com/using-essential-oils-safely-during-pregnancy-breastfeeding/)

Also, re: stomach sleeping, I'm starting to find it uncomfortable at 16+3 (measuring more like 17), but I have found a temporary hack that works that I will pass on to you given you sleep similarly to me. If you are flexible enough, pull your bent top leg (so if you start out on your right side, left leg is on top, that leg is bent and flops over so you're on your stomach, if you pull it all the way up so it's almost at your chest, it props your stomach up just enough that there isn't as much pressure on your stomach, but you can still stomach sleep. Much to DH's dismay, I sort of brace that leg against him lol so it doesn't slip back down). Hoping I can keep doing this for a while longer, especially since I didn't bring huggy pillow (my body pillow since 2nd grade lol) to CA with me and I'm here until 18+4 I think. 
  • Someone brought me the pregnancy pillow off my registry, I got it yesterday & slept with it last night. It's awesome. If you side sleep it supports your back so your basically sleeping up against it, your head rest at the top, and you can use the front side between your legs. If you stomach sleep it has openings for your head & bump. And if you sleep on your back you can prop your legs and head up. Its all around awesome. I was dreading paying $60 for it I was so happy when I saw it was purchased.
  • @ffw0617 Do you mind sharing which pillow you got? I got the Leachco Back & Body and I cannot stand it. I think I'm too tall for it. My neck ends up all scrunched at the end of the night because the pillow is too short for my legs to be supported when I side sleep. I'm pretty bummed. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @LaceyBee522 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B5ITZ4M?colid=2KSFCCXM0LLDW&coliid=I15YAH3TD3QIWW&ref=br_ADD_TO_CART_title_link&th=1 It looks pretty much the same as the one you have so I'm not sure it would make a difference

@elsie42 I feel like kind of the bleeding/ spotting expert as I've bled the majority of this pg so far. If its one spot I probably wouldn't. I would rest, avoid sex, and straining in the bathroom for a few days. If it persist I'd call. The last time I bled, 2 weeks ago, I was told i popped a blood vessel but the baby was perfectly fine. 

• Thanks @ffw0617 @LaceyBee522, I left a message at my doctor's office this morning but haven't heard back. I'm gonna keep an eye on it and if there's more tonight/tomorrow morning then I'll call again. 
    DD born 6/21/2018
    DS born 9/24/2020
  • Not sure if there would be a better place to put this but I am basically registering for every cool baby/kid thing that I see and I feel like I have a lot of feeding things that the baby isn't going to need for at least 6 months but realistically not for a year. 

For example, Munchkin trainer cups, Boon cup covers, a placemat that grips the table and training spoons. Should I wait on these things for later? Christmas will be right around 6 months so I could save them for then. I just have been using my registry as kind of a place to keep track of things that I like but I don't want people to be overwhelmed by it. We do have enough space to store them so I'm not opposed to get them early. 
    *TW LC*

• @krashke I didn’t register for those things with my first, but luckily another mom who attended my shower bought me a ton of things like that. It was actually super helpful because those ages sneak up on you and then you’re like what the heck I need these things already. It was nice to have even though they sat not in use for awhile because I didn’t have to think about them later. 
  • @krashke I feel like that goes back to what we were talking about with xmas gifts like, you'd be happy to have them, but you probably want other things you'll use sooner more. Could you make a master registry under either your or DH's email, keep it secret, and then make a second (under whichever other email) that you'll actually share that is more curated? And add from the master as the public gets purchased?
  • @doxiemoxie212 exactly! I want to make sure that more important things that I will need right away are purchased. I will probably just move them to an Amazon wish list and as things get purchased I can add them if it needs refreshing. 
    *TW LC*

• @krashke If you have the space to store them, do it! It’s nice to have variety on a registry. That’s the stuff that you will actually use for a long period of time.
    DD:3 | DS:1
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • DH went to every appointment with DS, and he's been to 2 out of 3 this time. I didn't make him come to the "history" appointment because it didn't really have anything to do with him. I work "normal" hours and he works second shift at a factory, so I try to schedule appointments during late morning or lunch time so that if he wants to go, he can. I told him he didn't have to come to the last one we had, but I'm glad he did because they couldn't find the heartbeat with the Doppler, so as you can imagine my nerves were shot. They then took us back for an ultrasound to confirm that everything was ok.

DH: 29 years old.
    Me: 25 years old.
    DS: born 12/30/14
    Baby #2 due 6/8/18

• @krashke I'd say it depends on whether you know you'll have a large shower or multiple showers or just lots of friends and family sending you gifts. (Is your registry likely to get bought out?)  If so then yes load up with those sippies. Like @dinodna3 and @boymama29 said you need those things sooner than you realize and you use them a lot longer than you use newborn stuff.
  • @krashke just a word of caution - like bottles, kids can be particular on supplies, spoons, etc. don’t register for more then one soppy of a particular brand until you know your kid will like it. DS didn’t use sippies and went to straw cups from bottles so all my sippies were useless. 
  • Does anyone else take the Garden of Life Vitamin Code Raw Prenatal? The total dose is 3 pills that I have just been taking all at once in the morning. I was lurking another thread and they said something about taking it multiple times a day. So I read the label (go figure) and it says to take 1 pill 3 times a day. 

I should probably ask my doctor but do you think it really matters? It would be a total PITA to have to take it 3 times a day. 
    *TW LC*

• @krashke those are the ones that I have and I wish I had something else.  I don't remember the last time I actually took 3 a day and I'm lucky if I remember to make it to 2.  If you do ask your doc, update because I could totally do the 3 in the morning thing.  Otherwise I just might have to get new vitamins.
  • @becca_123 update...I sent a message to the nurses and they said that they recommend to take them as directed. She added that certain vitamins and minerals can only be absorbed in smaller doses so that is likely why the spread them out. 

I might do morning, after work and before bed. The later two would be closer together but maybe still ok. Or I will have to put a bag of them in my purse and set an alarm on my phone. 

I don't think I will switch because they have pretty much everything in them in the dose that you need, which is why you have to spread them out. Most one-a-days I have looked at don't have the same amount of vitamins and minerals. It sucks though. 
    *TW LC*

• @krashke I did not register for those later items. I have 94 things on my registry and this is after consulting with 3 FTM on what they use and suggest. But a lot of it are repeats like 4 gift cards to here, 4 gift cards to there. Plus stuff for my recovery and breast feeding clothing. Plus you'll probably receive gift cards for where you register. And like mentioned above Christmas is around the 6 month mark.
  • @krashke Thanks for updating.  That's why I liked them so much - they seemed to be the most well-rounded vitamin and I thought I could be diligent in taking them all but it's just not happening.  I'll give the alarm thing a try!