April 2018 Moms

Friday Ticker Change 12/15

1. How far along are you? How big is baby?

2. How are you feeling lately?

3. Any upcoming appointments?

4.Rants, Raves, Questions?

5. GTKY: What's your favorite book and why do you think it spoke to you so much?

Re: Friday Ticker Change 12/15

• 1. How far along are you? How big is baby?
    24 weeks! Size of a cantaloupe (UO: the world worst melon)

Generally good. Been sleeping on the couch because of my back and I'll starving ALL the time, but good.

We go Monday. Nothing important on the agenda I don't think, so probably a quick belly measurement and a urine sample.

Honestly I got nothing this week. 

5. GTKY: What's your favorite book and why do you think it spoke to you so much?
    My favorite book of all time is 1984 by George Orwell. I don't know why I love it so much, but I read it in 10th grade and have probably re-read it 5 times. I think Orwell had such an amazing talent for putting you right there with his characters, you see what they see, you feel what they feel and in some cases you smell what they smell. I certainly feel Winston's fear in Room 101. Just a great book.

• 1. How far along are you? How big is baby? 22 weeks, coconut. you put the lime in the coconut is all I keep hearing this morning. 

Physically, I feel terrific. Emotionally, I am a hot mess!  :D

In two weeks I go back for another Anatomy Scan to see if the perforations they spotted on my last scan have closed up and to get a better view on the spine. I'm trying not to stress about it bc there is nothing I can do! 

Is there a point where my hormones will chill or is it like this for the next four months? I have cried every single day at work and that is not a good look in an office filled with men. I keep getting to this point where I feel like there is no solution, which I know is silly, there are lots of solutions, but I just get so discouraged. 

It's a bit cliche, but the Great Gatsby. That was probably the first book I read that captured some of the loneliness I felt as a child and it kindled a love for all things roaring 20s for me as a kid. I really love the writing, I love the mystery of the characters and the underlying violence still feels really relevant to me today as an adult. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @ftm_ohio i agree with you about cantaloupe. Except really good small french melons in the summer. Those are incredible. But the crap at the grocery store right now... I'm not saying I won't eat it, but it's the runt of the litter. 

Also with 1984, don't you find every time you read it, all kinds of things you just drove by or didn't note that are actually quite weighty and symbolic. It's such a layered, beautiful book. 
  • @stalkinghorse
    Love me some Harry Nillson! Gonna listen to that song now!

Emotions are crazy for me right now too, but mine is solely pregnancy related, you have more reason than most to be emotional right now!

Just a thought, but the crying at work and you saying you are feeling like there is no solution, to me are possible signs of depression. I know you have a TON of stress right now related to A/S, fires, ect. It could just be that, but I just want to caution you that if those things continue or get worse you should talk to your OB for sure. I, myself, have a big hx of depression so I feel like I'm on high alert with winter coming (I always get worse in the winter). Totally an outsider's perspective and I'm certainly not an expert, so feel free to tell me "b#*ch shut up, you crazy!"

Great Gatsby was one of those classics that I read but really didn't like. It's adorable that you loved the 20's though! 

I agree that I feel like I catch something new with every read through of 1984. I love all things Orwell really!

• @ftm_ohio No I totally appreciate the thought, thank you! I've had two spells of depression and they were brutal, so I'm kind of in a little wait and see place to see as things resolve if it's depression or if it's related to what's going on in my life. My real test is always if the things that normally bring me joy, stop doing so. I'm riding today for the first time in almost 3 weeks, so if that doesn't help, I'm planning to talk to my doctor. I don't want to mess around if there's something chemically fishy. 
  • 1. How far along are you? How big is baby?
    24 weeks, cantaloupe @ftm_ohio its the worst!
    Glucose test went well, next appt is in Jan. @stalkinghorse FX for you in your next appointment!
    MH surprised me today that we are getting a puppy. My dog now was my Christmas present 4 years ago, and we are getting another one!
    Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut and Catch-22 by Joseph Heller are neck and neck for me. If I go deep with it, I think I like that kind of humor because of some truly dark, sad, and frustrating times in my life. Finding the irony or being able to laugh at the absurdity has been my main (sometimes only) way of coping. I really like re-reading all of Vonnegut's work for the same reasons as you all mentioned, too. I notice something different every time.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • @stalkinghorse I always notice I suddenly sleep 12-15 hours a day and lately I've been pushing 9.5, so I'm right there with you. Waiting it out and watching myself closely.

@sarahkate2233 great to hear about your GTT! I'm dreading mine for sure!

Congrats on the new puppy!! You'll have to post pics!!!

I have never read either of the books you mentioned but they have both always been on my list. I even own a copy of Catch-22, I've just never gotten around to reading it! I'll certainly have to check it out. Maybe when I'm home with the newborn and nothing better to do hahaha!
  • @ftm_ohio I'm with you - not a fan of cantaloupe, but love 1984.
    @stalkinghorse I'm sorry things are rough for you emotionally right now... glad to hear that you're keeping an eye on it though.
    @sarahkate2233 That's exciting! What kind of dog are you getting?
    -------
    1. How far along are you? How big is baby? 
    25 weeks, size of a cauliflower.

Big! My belly is feeling large and firm this week. Also, tired - it's been a long and busy week of being on my feet, and by the end of the day my whole body is tired and sore.

Midwife appt and hospital tour this coming week.

This is hard, because I love so many, but all time favorite? I'd say Lord of the Rings. My dad read them out loud to my brother and I when we were kids, and i'd say I've read or listened to them 4 or 5 times since then. The story is just so epic, and the world is so beautifully and vividly drawn.
    Runners up: Robert Heinlein "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress", Richard Adams "Watership Down" and recent favorite Alexandre Dumas "The Count of Monte Cristo"
    TW
    Me: 33 DH: 32
    Started Dating: 2003 Married: 2013
    Started TTC August 2016
    BFP: 2/1/17 MC: 2/8/17
    BFP: 3/8/17 MMC: 5/1/17
    BFP: 7/23/17 EDD: 4/5/18
    BFP: 2/27/20

• @hedgepig totally with you on the whole body soreness! End of the work day I'm just like, let me SIT!

FX for a good appt!
  • @ftm_ohio good luck with your test! I've been doing audiobooks lately on my commute or when I'm cooking, that's helped up my reading game. There's even free ones you can download from the library, the app is called overdrive. It's all free, just need a library card. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • @sarahkate2233 My audio book game is strong too, otherwise I don't think I'd get any reading done. I also get mine from the library, although my library uses an app called Hoopla... same basic thing though!
    TW
    Me: 33 DH: 32
    Started Dating: 2003 Married: 2013
    Started TTC August 2016
    BFP: 2/1/17 MC: 2/8/17
    BFP: 3/8/17 MMC: 5/1/17
    BFP: 7/23/17 EDD: 4/5/18
    BFP: 2/27/20

• @sarahkate2233 @hedgepig
    That's really cool! Thanks for the recommendation! I'll definitely look into it at my library!!