Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

MIL snatching baby

Okay, so its the holidays, obviously. MIL is around quite a bit for the next month. My son JUST turned 1 this week. My MIL insists on taking him from me CONSTANTLY, even when my son cries and holds onto me. It's now becoming a problem and when she approaches he grabs my clothes like he anticipating being pulled away. I'm starting to feel bad that he doesn't want her to hold him at all but he's completely content if she sits on the floor and plays. I never force him to go with anyone he doesn't want to, that seems cruel to me. But my MIL is starting to be clearly annoyed with me like I should be forcing him to be held by her. My husband agrees that it our son doesn't want to go then he shouldn't have to but she never tries prying him away from my husband, just me..... am I doing the right thing here or should I let her hold him regardless?

Re: MIL snatching baby

• Options
    sjm77 said:
    Okay, so its the holidays, obviously. MIL is around quite a bit for the next month. My son JUST turned 1 this week. My MIL insists on taking him from me CONSTANTLY, even when my son cries and holds onto me. It's now becoming a problem and when she approaches he grabs my clothes like he anticipating being pulled away. I'm starting to feel bad that he doesn't want her to hold him at all but he's completely content if she sits on the floor and plays. I never force him to go with anyone he doesn't want to, that seems cruel to me. But my MIL is starting to be clearly annoyed with me like I should be forcing him to be held by her. My husband agrees that it our son doesn't want to go then he shouldn't have to but she never tries prying him away from my husband, just me..... am I doing the right thing here or should I let her hold him regardless?
    Doesn’t sound like you’re doing anything wrong. She’s probably just voicing her frustration.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    This is a tough one because you really dont want to offend anyone but the reality is if your son is not comfortable being held by her then you need to make sure his feeling are heard loud and clear. If i were in this situation i would chat to my MIL really nicely and explain to her that your son loves to play with her and that you will encourage that,  tell her that he is still young and as he spends more time with her that he will eventually feel comfortable going into her arms.