April 2018 Moms

Marginal chord insertion

we had our anatomy scan the other day at exactly 20 weeks and the ultrasound tech said that we wouldn’t be seeing a Dr. after, that he’s reading the images remotely and would send a report to our Dr. after he does so, but if anything we’re wrong she would call the dr. before we left the scan. 

Well, the scan was over and the tech said to sit tight she wanted to call the Dr. and ask if we should come back for another scan because the chord wasn’t attached to the placenta where they typically like to see it. And that was all she said then came back and said the Dr. wanted to do another scan in 6 weeks to check for growth. She really didn’t tell us much I guess because she’s just the tech and can’t, but after we left we looked it up and it’s a condition called Marginal Chord Insertion. It basically means the insertion site of the chord is supported by very little placental tissue. Ultimately, the Dr. wants to do another scan to make sure it doesn’t change positions as the baby grows and become a VCI, which is when the chord doesn’t attach to the placenta at all and attaches to the fetal membranes. 

Now ive been so worried because this condition usually produces smaller babies because needed nutrients aren’t getting to the baby and there’s also an increased risk for preterm labor and chromosomal abnormalities. 

Has as anyone has this and what was the outcome? 

Re: Marginal chord insertion

• Hey! I got the same diagnosis but they all seemed to calm about it so I didn’t think it was a big deal until I googled it (huge mistake) then I got really scared. I told the doctor that I wanted to get a C section because I’m just an anxious person in general and I want to do whatever is safer for baby. The doctor wants to see me every week and measure the babies growth. We should keep in touch! Would love to hear how you’re progressing as well since we have the same thing.
  • Loading the player...
  • Sorry every 4 weeks
  • Sorry every 4 weeks
  • Sorry every 4 weeks
  • @MrsMassimilla I don't know anything about this, but I wanted to say that I hope your follow up scans go well and that it resolves on its own. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @MrsMassimilla I have the same thing. The ultrasound tech mentioned it at the very end of my appointment as if it was not a big deal. It was 1.5 weeks ago and the doctor hasn't called so I'm not worrying too much about it. I'm sure my doc will mention it at my next appointment. I'll keep you updated, and please let us know how things progress with you! 
  • I will post updates @kmc8217 and @nikkin1312 please do the same. I haven’t heard from my dr. yet eaither. I go December 7th for my next appointment and I’m hoping he says something about it. 
  • Yes please post updates my next appointment isn’t until the 18. I’m super curious what they do to check the progress. Are you guys planning on a natural birth? 
  • @nikkin1312 I’ve had a csection before and we were planning on trying a vbac this time around, but now this may change my decision. 
  • I had something similar with my last pregnancy (where the cord was not in the center of the placenta.) That  meant I got to have an ultrasound at every appointment to check the growth.  Everything turned out fine and I had a healthy 7 lbs. 5 oz. girl! There obviously can be problems, but try not to worry too much until you you get checked at your next appointment. (And try not to use google too much  ;)
  • *Lurker*

I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but my sister's baby had the cord attached to the placenta not very well, and the cord also only had two blood vessels. Her baby grew slowly and she had extra ultrasounds. This issue was not noticed somehow and her doctors had her eating every two hours (except while sleeping, of course) lots of food and fatty things to try to help the baby grow. She was born on the small side compared to her older sibs but so far is healthy. 
  • Great news @MrsMassimilla! My doc also said it was nothing to be worried about. I have to do ultrasounds every 4 weeks, but she said it's really just a formality and she's not concerned about it. 
  • @MrsMassimilla That is great to hear!! 
  • Great update! Glad to hear it!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks for the update!! I have my checkup on the 18 so this helps puts some ease to my mind!
  • @krrpe99 did you have a natural birth? Were there any complications? 
  • Yay! Glad to hear such good news!
    BabyFetus Ticker