May 2018 Moms

When did you feel your baby move?

okaykoalaokaykoala member
edited December 2017 in May 2018 Moms
Sorry, y'all. Serious technical difficulties--this posted twice. But this one has actual words in the poll, so going with this? UGH! Sorry!
--
STMs (or those who've already felt your babies this time around), when did you feel that first kick, flutter, jab, quickening, etc.? 

When did you feel your baby move? 85 votes

Pre-16 Weeks
40% 34 votes
17 Weeks
23% 20 votes
18 Weeks
18% 16 votes
19 Weeks
8% 7 votes
20 Weeks
3% 3 votes
21 Weeks
2% 2 votes
22 Weeks
2% 2 votes
Post-22 Weeks
1% 1 vote

Re: When did you feel your baby move?

• I posted this elsewhere, pretty sure there is a movement thread out there, but I’m too lazy to search for it. I felt flutters at 14wks. At 17wks now, I feel much more significant movement, daily. 
  • I swear I felt the first flutter at 12 weeks, but no consistent movement until more recently.  I pretty much have felt it daily for the past week or two.  Really in the past week for sure.
  • Loading the player...
  • Anterior placenta, but STM, so 18 weeks this time, 20 my first pregnancy. 
  • My first I felt consistently around 16 weeks.  My second 14 weeks.  This one 16-17ish.  My first two were very active, this one hasn't been so far.
    November Siggy Challenge

• Between 16-17 weeks with both pregnancies.  I'm looking forward to more kicks and jabs. Until they start hurting my ribs lol 
  • STM around 13 weeks, first time around 16 weeks. Not consistently, but clear movement. I’m 15 weeks now and it isn’t consistent yet. Don’t remember when it was with DS. 
  • STM- I felt my first around 18 weeks. I felt the first flutters with this one around 13, but nothing consistent or daily yet. 
  • First time not till 22-23 weeks as I had an Anterior placenta, this time around13 weeks. 
  • This is my third pregnancy. I’m 15 weeks and 5 days and just started feeling the baby moving within the past few days. 

With my first I didn’t start recognizing her movements until 20 weeks. With my second I felt her moving around much earlier - probably 16 weeks? It’s been a decade so it’s hard to remember!
  • So I've heard that especially early on, the movements feel really similar to gas. That being the case,  how do you know its the baby and not just gas? An obvious answer would be to wait until I'm not gassy but since I got pregnant there basically is no time I'm not gassy. 
  • I felt actual fishy type movements the last few days, so shy of 16 weeks. It's definitely after something sugary or super cold, so that's been fun.
    DD was the same way, but DS would squirm more with tacos and fries and such. 
  • @thunderberry it gets more frequent and not painful. This is my 3rd pregnancy and I'm pretty sure I'm feeling movements, but I'm not at the point where I'm 100% sure which feelings are gas, muscular, or baby. Do you get ultrasounds at your ob? I get a short one at each appointment. When they first put the scope on, I feel a little movement from baby. You can also poke your stomach. Sometimes I get the right spot and feel baby move right after. 

This thread is making me feel better. I don't remember when I started feeling kicks the last 2 times so I'm glad I'm not the only one not feeling a ton of consistent movement. 
  • @thunderberry for me it feels different. Its definitely more like a fish in a fish bowl. And I'm so used to how gas feels I can tell when it's not it. I also tend to feel movement more at specific times of day or after an orgasm lol.
  • With my first it took forever compared to the rest of my BMB. I was due in the middle of the month and I swear every person on that board felt movement before me. 

My second and this one, some flutters around 14 weeks but nothing consistent yet (almost 17) 
  • I have felt a few random flutters just this week, at 18 weeks. They're not consistent yet, so it'll probably be a few more weeks before I really start feeling movement at all times of the day. I've felt most of them just after a Braxton Hicks, I guess baby kicking my uterus for contracting on him/her lol!
    BFP 9/11/13   EDD 5/21/14   MC 9/20/13  <3
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BFP 2/25/14   EDD 11/5/14   BD 11/4/14
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

BFP 8/26/17  EDD  5/5/18
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • So I've heard that especially early on, the movements feel really similar to gas. That being the case,  how do you know its the baby and not just gas? An obvious answer would be to wait until I'm not gassy but since I got pregnant there basically is no time I'm not gassy. 
    Waiting till you're not gassy is easiest.  If that doesn't work, location can help.  My baby has consistently been low and left this pregnancy, if I were getting bubbles all over the place or higher up that would be a sign that it's gas, not baby.
    November Siggy Challenge

• Feeling lots of for sure kicks the last couple days and saw my first visible one last night! Of course once I had my husband watching he didn’t do it again. 
  • Thanks everyone for providing your experience. When I say the feeling of gas, I don't mean painful, just that I keep having little roiling/bubbly feelings like gas and wondering if that might be it. But I am literally always gassy lately so it's so hard to say :p hopefully I'll get a real obvious one soon so I can stop obsessing!
  • I have no clue if I have felt anything yet lol. FTM 18w4d. I may just need to wait until it's obvious.
  • I swear I felt movements at 14 weeks but haven't felt anything consistent since.  It was 20 weeks with an anterior placenta when I first felt my daugter move.  

The best way I can describe it is it feels like a muscle twitching.  
  • I think it feels like how my foot feels when it’s numb, almost like pins and needles but it’s in a localized spot on my abdomen. It almost tickles me when she moves because it’s still pretty faint. Each person has a different experience. People kept telling me I wouldn’t feel her move until late because I’m plus sized but I felt her at 17 weeks, for a FTM I would think that’s on the earlier side of average. 
  • Right around 16 weeks I could tell it was definitely him moving and kicking. I’m 19 weeks today and he kicks all the time, especially when I’m laying down. He seems to sleep all day while I’m running around at work. I can’t remember when I felt my girls during my first two pregnancies. Kind of wish I would have written it down. 
  • I agree with the muscle twitches. I also sometimes get this super weird feeling almost like my uterus expanding and I like to imagine she is stretching but I have no idea.
  • I was going to post this yesterday but forgot what I had been planning on typing but now I remember.

Time of day can also be an indicator on gas vs baby.  A lot of times babies will get active when you lay down (bedtime, nap, whatever) or right after you've eaten something.
    November Siggy Challenge

• I was going to post this yesterday but forgot what I had been planning on typing but now I remember.

Time of day can also be an indicator on gas vs baby.  A lot of times babies will get active when you lay down (bedtime, nap, whatever) or right after you've eaten something.
    Good point. If you’re not sure if it’s baby, drink some juice and lay down. If you feel movement it’s got to be the baby. 
  • I thiiiink I might have felt some stuff now? But I'm not positive. I'm going to ask at our scan tomorrow where the placenta is! 
  • I am a TTM and felt flutters at 14wks, but real movement at 17wks
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • 3rd time mom, but just confirmed anterior placenta. 20 weeks felt first movement. 
  • I am 19wks and I haven't really felt anything. Sometimes I think I feel something, but I'm not really sure. My stomach growls a lot lol. She is active during our appointments sometimes, but she sleeps a lot too. Hopefully I'll start feeling something.