January 2018 Moms
Options

Weekly Appointment Thread: Week of 12/4

J18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Weekly Appointment Thread: Week of 12/4

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @sbishop426 Keep us posted! I hope LO has moved to head down too just for your peace of mind. I'm definitely jealous of the USs at each appointment. I'm actually semi hoping they'll note that I've lost weight and request one  :D

@JuliaGoolia719 Totally agree about it being interesting to hear different perspectives from different providers. One commented on my weight gain (it was like 4 pounds at 30 weeks) and said I really needed to try to gain more... at 32 I had LOST two pounds and the doctor was like, "Oh no worries... that baby is FINE. He's taking what he needs." I'm like... okay? 
    *TW*

DD1 EDD 9/29/2015, Born 9/24/2015

DS1 EDD 1/3/2018, Born 12/26/2017

BFP #3 3/21/2019, EDD 11/29/2019, MMC/D&C 5/7/2019

BFP #4 6/28/2019, EDD 3/12/2020 

• Options
    @whitta1218 Mine start cervical checks at 36 weeks :) So maybe yours will too... if not this week I would think next for you for sure (assuming you don't decline them). I say give me ALL the info! My vagina is now yours, doctors! 
    *TW*

• Options
    @whitta1218 the midwife I saw last week said that they would start them this week (36) if I wanted them.  She said that I didn't have to if I didn't want to, but that she recommends it bc it lets you know what they feel like before youre super uncomfortable at the very end or in labor when you don't really have a choice in getting them lol.  I'm with @EmilyLove25, I want to know whats going on and all the info.  I'm not expecting to hear that I'm progressing yet but kind of hoping for it.

Together Let Us Seek the Heights

• Options
    Just hopping on here to add though that I feel sorry for these ladies. I can't tell  you what's going on down there, but my God, it can't be pretty. I don't care enough to groom anymore and can't do it without puking, so... one can only wonder and assume it's not great.
    *TW*

• Options
    @EmilyLove25 - I attempted to shave before my GBS test last week. Who knows what that nurse saw down there!
    Are the cervical checks super uncomfortable?
  • Options
    My OB doesn't do them until 39w I believe. I only got one at 38 last time because I was being induced the next day.

@whitta1218, they were extremely uncomfortable for me. Then again, the only females that did mine were my OB and a nurse, the rest of the on-call doctors and residents I saw (4 total I think) were all male so their hands were bigger which made it worse. Just try to relax and breathe!
  • Options
    My cervical checks start at 36 weeks if I want.  I never thought they were terribly uncomfortable. The only thing I remember being super uncomfortable was the speculum exam they did when I first got to the hospital in labor. I seriously almost kicked the nurse.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @JuliaGoolia719 Oh I don't see ANYTHING wrong with that! My doctor around week 20 or something was like, "Oh, since you are a STM, we also could induce you at 39 weeks." I thought that was random... and ughhhhhh with the deductibles. I switched from DH's insurance to my work's a few months ago because I just can't with high deductible plans. I'd be tempted to "nudge" LO as well! 
    *TW*

• Options
    I haven't been here in a while because we're all trading places being sick, which is awesome at this stage of pregnancy -.-

I had my appointment todat at 33+5, and the measurements were ok, heartbeat ok at 155. Next appointment is at 35+5 and my doc "warned" me about GBS, which I had no clue about. Now, I googled, which I shouldn't have done... Tell me about it, if you already had it. I didn't have it with DS' pregnancy, so I need more input... Please! I am already confused about how things are done in the US with no CTGs so far and all that...
    DS 7/13
    MC 2/17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @kathrinp The GBS swab was literally nothing at all to get worked up about. I imagined them fully inserting a long qtip into both holes, but it was literally like a quick swipe of each. I barely even felt it. Hope it’s the same for you! 
  • Options
    @kathrinp @whitta1218 is right the test was no big deal.  The biggest difference overall is if you are GBS positive you will need to let your Dr. know as soon as you go into labor because you will need several courses of IV antibiotics.  They also monitor the baby for a full 48 hours after birth for any signs of infection.  Generally you would get to go home sooner.
  • Options
    @whitta1218 @egirl1025 Thank you! They never did that with DS in my first pregnancy. Still sounds super awkward, though :(

After my next, we'll do weekly appointments, will that still be heartbeat and belly size "only"?

Btw, @egirl1025 I am laughing at your pregnancy ticker. 115 weeks pregnant? :D I'm already cursing at 33+5 (for different reasons than with DS)
    DS 7/13
    MC 2/17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @kathrinp.... Lol my DS just turned 18 months, but I have been bumping strictly from my phone so I don't even see my ticker or anyone elses for that matter...I will have to fix that.  Thanks for the heads up!!
  • Options
    @egirl1025  Haha! No worries, I think it's cute. I tried TB from my phone, but I couldn't. I like my laptop...
    DS 7/13
    MC 2/17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Is anyone else planning to decline cervical checks? The research I did said there is basically no benefit to doing them and some potential downsides. I asked my midwife this week what the benefits of getting checked were and she said "none really.".... so I can't really see a good reason to do them, but wonder what others think.