2»

Re: STM+ Check In 11/29

• @acunamatada how did things go today? 
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• How far along are you? 
     9 weeks 3 days :)

How old are your other kids? 
    My daughter is 17 months!

Current challenges/concerns about being a STM+ or questions about things your children are going through now?
    My daughter is a busy little bee and soooo much fun, repeating everything! I find this age the LEAST challenging so far. Toddlers are so refreshing! Although I love babies (who doesn’t!) I feel like I am a much better and more present toddler mom!!

Current joys/successes/or happy thoughts about being a STM:

I feel like Birdie will adapt well to a baby. I was worried about it before I got pregnant. But feel really lucky to be able to give her a sibling now and truly feel like it’s gonna be a totally great thing!

GTKY: There is a fire in your house and you can only save three things. All the living things are safe. What do you grab?

My purse (my whole life is literally in it), my daughters blankey pillow, and my safe. I sound so unsentimental!

• Loading the player...
  • How far along are you? 
    About 7 weeks

18 months

Current challenges/concerns about being a STM+ or questions about things your children are going through now?
    I am feeling pretty sick these days. I had no morning sickness with DD so this is new. Luckily DH is great and is doing a lot with DD.

DD is starting to say a few things and definitely lets me know how she feels about things or what she wants. It is fun to hear her cute little voice. She is also really into playing with her baby. I think she will be a great big sister.

GTKY: There is a fire in your house and you can only save three things. All the living things are safe. What do you grab?
    Probably just my phone but maybe some pictures.
  • @lindsayleigh1989 pretty good! No accidents- but he conveniently pooped when he has his nap time diaper on so, work in progress! We had to go to an appt today so he's only going to do a half day, but overall I think he gets it. 
  • How far along are you? 
    6 weeks 1 day
    18 months
    Nervous about having a toddler in the midst of terrible twos and a newborn. Also nervous about possibly getting gestational diabetes again this pregnancy. Nervous my toddler is going to be super jealous of the new baby.
    I can’t wait to add more love to our family. Hoping my son falls in love with the baby so I can watch them interact and have my heart grow again.
    my box with family binder and baby books, my computer (with all my pictures), my phone (pictures I haven’t uploaded)
  • So for those who have BTDT, has anyone tried to have their children share a room? An infant and a toddler? She will be turning 3 a month after the baby is born. We have a 3rd bedroom, but my husband doesn't want to give up his computer room. I just think back to how hard it was sometimes to get my first to sleep. It would sometimes take 2 hours of rocking and trying to transfer her before she would stay asleep. I just can't imagine doing that and not waking up my toddler. 
  • So for those who have BTDT, has anyone tried to have their children share a room? An infant and a toddler? She will be turning 3 a month after the baby is born. We have a 3rd bedroom, but my husband doesn't want to give up his computer room. I just think back to how hard it was sometimes to get my first to sleep. It would sometimes take 2 hours of rocking and trying to transfer her before she would stay asleep. I just can't imagine doing that and not waking up my toddler. 

We will be having baby in our own room to make it easier with the c section. We shared rooms for the first year with DS.  DS already sleeps through the night and he’ll be two then so don’t want to screw that up. We’ll be working on crib/ bed transition in the meantime too. We have a third bedroom too but probably last resort. Ideally i would like them to share a room by 1 yr.
  • We would also like them to share a room (20 months apart). We kept DS in our room for 9 months until he slept through the night, so we will do the same with the new baby. But, following in case others have actual experience with this! 

Lab Mom (x2): Sept/Oct 2014 
    Married: August 2015
    DS: Nov 2016 (36w)
    Baby H #2: July2018 (Team Pink!)

• @Crystal321 I have no experience with this but interested to see if anyone does. We are going to have the baby in our room for quite awhile and then hope to share rooms, but we'll see! We do have an extra bedroom its just on a different floor.
  • @Crystal321 no experience... We're toying with the idea of giving the baby a room to itself and having the 2 and 4 year old share a room... though they've never shared before and having them sleep in the same room sounds like a nightmare since one likes to stay up late and the other gets up early....
  • The funny thing about my kid though is I always spend all this time stressing out about how she will adapt, but it always seems to work out easier than I expected. I shared a room growing up and hated it when I was older, so I think that's where my anxiety stems from.
  • Guys...just finished the first half of day 1: Operation Potty Train! It was mostly successful, my dad was in charge for a bit and dropped the ball when I was cooking and he was the only eyes on my son in the other room, but accidents happen! All other pees and poops done in the little potty. Sunday may have been a hectic day to start this but I wanted one day of DH home with me before I tackled the next days largely alone. Will this really only take 3 days or is that jut a crazy myth they tell people to make them hopeful? lol
  • I plan on keeping the baby in our room until it sleeps through the night and then transitioning to have them share a room. DS was a great sleeper as a baby and I'm hoping we get lucky again. DS will be 3 when baby's born, I'd like them to share a room if this next one is a boy- my sister and I are 2.5 years apart and shared a room our whole life and I think we're closer now because of it. 
  • @SmashJam yes!! The 3 day method worked for us. Day 1 she had 0 success, 6 accidents. By day 4 we were at 5 successes, 2 accidents. Fast forward to now, approximately 1 month later, 0 accidents, not even "leaks" as i call them
  • What age are you potty training? DS is 19 months. We got him a potty but he got scared from the fake “flush”. He just takes it apart to use as “hats” lol. Today i got him to sit for the first time without a fuse.
  • We started at 2 years 2 months. She took to it way better than I expected but she simply wasn't ready at 19 months. Basically I waited until she was abit better at communicating and I think that helped a lot.
  • @wildtot DS is 2 years 5 months, so basically 2.5. This is the first time he hasn't thrown a fit about running around without a diaper so I went with it. I do think 19 months would have been hard for us, because of the communication issue like @Crystal321 said.

@Crystal321 glad to hear it worked for you! I'll keep my fingers crossed for some success and prepare for some mess. :smile:
  • @SmashJam hmm probably a good to wait till early summer when i can have him naked. Thanks!
  • @SmashJam I've tried the 3day method a few times but gave up- I'll be continuing it this week. I've been cautiously potty training him this week and this morning he actually woke up with a dry diaper. 

@wildtot my DS started showing interest around 2, I don't think he'd have been ready before then. Mostly because of communication- but even now at almost 2.5 he doesn't communicate that well but goes potty when he needs to with very few accidents. I'd definitely wait until you can keep him naked! So much easier! 
  • @Crystal321 @acunamatada and others....next training question. I just realized the 3 day method says to wake him up to pee in the middle of the night. Do you really do that? PLease tell me I don't have to do that in the middle of the night, lol. 

Also...he's still in a crib. So he wouldn't even be able to get out and go to the bathroom in the middle of the night if he needed to go. Should I pull the trigger on that first? 
  • @SmashJam I don't do that  :D. He gets a diaper at night, I can't go that hardcore lol. Especially in a crib I wouldn't push it, but maybe that has something to do with the success of the method? 
  • Nope, we do diapers at night. My kid doesn't nap, so she sleeps 11 to 12 hours. It's insane imo to expect her to go that long with no accidents. When she gets a bit older and sleeps less we will start to transition, but I am in no hurry for night training
  • Also I never did have her with no underwear. I bought her some minnie mouse and elmo underwear and used it by telling her, "oh no! You pee'd on Minnie!" She would be sad or upset about it and it and I believe it helped motivate her
  • @Crystal321 we have my girls share a room. We didn't put Maddie in her room until she was almost sleeping through the night. I think she was 9 or 10 months. I was worried about Maddie waking up her sister, but kids sleep soundly and it ended up not being a problem. If I had know it wouldn't be a problem I would have done it sooner. 
  • We potty trained our son at 22 months using the "3 day method" it was more like the 3 week method, but that was mostly because daycare was not that helpful. I think it would have been a tad bit easier if we had started a couple months later. As for night training, we had him sleep in diapers but then he kept waking up dry so we stopped. I will occasionally put him in a pullup if I feel like he's had too much to drink before bed. He was in a crib so when he did wake up in the middle of the night needing to pee, we would have to run and get him. He is now in a toddler bed and still expects our help for those occasional 2 am pees. I never did the wake him to pee thing...something about waking a sleeping child seemed like an awful idea to me. 
  • How far along are you? 
    6+2
    DD wants a sibling so bad but I have the typical fears that this will “break” her because she is such a mama’s girl

relieved that my levels are increasing well even though I’m spotting often. I think I just have a friable cervix. 

jewelry box
    laptop 
    purse