February 2018 Moms

Monday (and all week) B*tchfest 11/27-12/3

2»

Re: Monday (and all week) B*tchfest 11/27-12/3

• Chawk17 said:
    My new BF is all my fault.  I had conferences today so I wore a dress I have had pre- pregnancy its a stretchy dress. It is not a dress you wear leggings with.never had problems with this outfit before..well apparently my thighs now touch each other and now I have chafing and it is painful to walk across the classroom to greet parents.  I have been tucking my dress between my legs.  I guess I need to start wearing shorts with this outfit. :(
    I'm a plus size person who had dealt with chafing thighs most of my adult life. There's a product available at any sporting goods store or online called Body Glide. It was designed for runners to prevent chafing but works wonderfully on thighs! It's my go-to any time I wear shorts or a dress.
  • @gingermama26 thanks. I need to get some of that. SO painful. I put bag balm on my thighs last night before bed- I don't know if that works. But I use it for everything. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @Chawk17 I had the same issue in a dress yesterday. I also forgot to put on deodorant and by end of the day I was the smelliest human alive. Pre-pregnancy i could get away with that, but apparently not anymore. 
  • @Chawk17 I swear by shapewear-type shorts under all my dresses to prevent the chub rub. They save my thighs. One time I forgot to put them on before H and I were going to walk around Boston on vacation so I insisted our first stop be a Marshalls so I could buy some shorts. The ones I have are Maidenform and aren't tight like spanx to hold things in, but just tight enough to be invisible under the skirt.
    Me: late 30s | H: early 30s
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    RE Dx: Fibroids, surgery Jan 2016
    IUI #1 and #2, Nov/Dec 2016, BFN
    IVF March 2017: ER - 5R/3M/3F, 1 PGS normal
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18

• +1 for body glide. I carry a small one in my purse in the summer when i live in skirts/dresses lol! Deodorant can work in a pinch too. 
  • another +1 for body glide or deodorant (men's works the best).  As a distance runner who has dealt with some seriously painful chaffing, I highly recommend Boudreaux's Butt Paste (it's a real thing) for spots that are already chaffed.
  • Boudreaux's Butt paste is a staple in Louisiana.  It's on my registry lol
  • Thanks everyone, and I think I am going to have to look up this butt paste :) We have a Marshalls so I am definitely  going to look into those shorts @eggplantface.
  • amb929amb929 member
    edited November 2017
    My BF goes to myself.. and dentistry. Like a dope, last December I decided to finally make my dreams come true of having the spaces between my teeth that I’m super self conscious about, fixed. Unfortunately I wasn’t a good candidate for Invisalign so instead I dropped 6 grand for clear braces. The amount of pain that these torture devices have put me in during this last year is insane. I just had them adjusted again yesterday at which time the dentist told me the 12-18 months I’d have these on is quickly becoming 2-3 YEARS cause my teeth aren’t doing what they’re supposed to. I’m in so much pain today after he put triple elastics over all of my teeth to “encourage” them to shift like they’re supposed to. No amount of Tylenol helps and I’ve got one of those unbearable headaches that won’t go away as a result. I just called to ask if I can orajel my face into complete numbness. The answer was yes... but only temporarily. These teeth better be worth it. 
  • @amb929 I’m so sorry! I remember those days. Just know it’s going to look sooo good and be sooooo worth it in the end! 
  • @amb929 The adjustments are the worst! I hope you feel better soon! But like @jenniferjoy37 said, the end result is so worth it!
  • My BF is DH and the helpful ladies he worked with this week.  I have always had a firm stance that I will NEVER have an elf on the shelf in my house.  I guess I never vocalized it though.  He called from his work trip super excited that the ladies he was working with at this office told him about something “really cool that the kids will love.”  He bought an elf.  He travels for work and is usually gone half the week so the “super fun” task of moving the elf nightly gets to be mine :(
  • hms1219 said:
    My BF is DH and the helpful ladies he worked with this week.  I have always had a firm stance that I will NEVER have an elf on the shelf in my house.  I guess I never vocalized it though.  He called from his work trip super excited that the ladies he was working with at this office told him about something “really cool that the kids will love.”  He bought an elf.  He travels for work and is usually gone half the week so the “super fun” task of moving the elf nightly gets to be mine :(
    I would make him return it!!!  I'm with you.  I refuse to have one.
  • DH wants to do the elf too and I told him it will be all on him if he insists on doing it. I have zero interest in that thing.
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • amb929amb929 member
    edited November 2017
    Going to play Devil's Advocate here...(and probably get a little 'real' and maybe depressing)

I was very much against the Elf before having my son. I still have mixed feelings about it as well as Santa. I always kind of felt like Santa was a way of lying to your child and when they find out the truth it breaks their heart/causes them to mistrust you. The reality is... learning Santa isn't real is disappointing but so aren't a lot of things in the adult world. Maybe it's better for kids to experience the gentle let down when they find out the truth. It prepares them for real life, that the world IS going to disappoint you. Thats kind of how I feel about the elf now...the whole idea that 'someone is watching you' is actually kind of true... so maybe embracing that and being able to regulate/modify behavior is a key skill kids are learning with this? 

My husband was team Elf/Santa..something about the joy of Christmas etc. and I have to say...now that I have a sassy/fresh 2.5 year old who tells us to "I'm not happy about this" when he doesn't want to do something, I will use whatever tools I can to manipulate him into behaving in a semi-not embarrassing way in public for as long as humanly possible. 

That said...remembering the move the Elf every day IS a giant pain in the ass.  :| but the joy it brings my kid to look for and find that stupid thing kind of makes it worth it in the end. His little face lights up and he enjoys dragging "Shelf-ton Cooper" by his legs around the house/ throwing him in the air. 
  • I know people that are doing the elf for their 6 mo old.  Am I being too judgmental by thinking that is RIDICULOUS?
  • I know people that are doing the elf for their 6 mo old.  Am I being too judgmental by thinking that is RIDICULOUS?
    No. That's insane. 
    Agreed. 6 months is too young. We got our Elf as a gift when my son was 6 months for his first Christmas. We "Used it" last year by sitting it on a shelf.  My son's daycare moved it all around the classroom last year so we're going to start reading the book tomorrow and introduce him to the elf cause they already have their elf out at school. 
  • My oldest is six and she (and the other kids for that matter) have no idea what elf on the shelf in and I don't intend to ever do it. It just seems to be a way to brag on Facebook about cute and creative you are with your elf. I have no idea why people post that crap on fb

DD born Oct 2011 - DS#1 born Jan 2014 - DS#2 born Apr 2015 - DS#3 born Sept 2016 - LO#5 due Feb 7, 2018

• amb929 said:
    My BF goes to myself.. and dentistry. Like a dope, last December I decided to finally make my dreams come true of having the spaces between my teeth that I’m super self conscious about, fixed. Unfortunately I wasn’t a good candidate for Invisalign so instead I dropped 6 grand for clear braces. The amount of pain that these torture devices have put me in during this last year is insane. I just had them adjusted again yesterday at which time the dentist told me the 12-18 months I’d have these on is quickly becoming 2-3 YEARS cause my teeth aren’t doing what they’re supposed to. I’m in so much pain today after he put triple elastics over all of my teeth to “encourage” them to shift like they’re supposed to. No amount of Tylenol helps and I’ve got one of those unbearable headaches that won’t go away as a result. I just called to ask if I can orajel my face into complete numbness. The answer was yes... but only temporarily. These teeth better be worth it. 
    At least you will have beautiful teeth when this is done.  I feel for you . 
  • I love Santa and Christmas @amb929!!  We are very pro-Santa.  We are anti-elf bc it seems like a giant pain in the ass and we are too lazy to do it.  And like @sabriel1 said it seems like a way to play I'm better than you on FB.  I've heard of kids getting trips to Disneyworld from their elf.
  • amb929amb929 member
    edited November 2017
    @chucksmom15 it IS a pain to move him and we definitely forgot often last year which didn't matter cause my son knew a total of 12 words and had no memory so pulling the elf off the tree for the 12th time was fun for him each of the 12 times  :D

and I do agree with @sabriel1 some people are so focused on one upping others on social media that it just becomes a contest of who is a better parent which I absolutely HATE. I post nothing about the elf on social media. I hardly post anything more than funny exchanges I have with my 2 yr old on Facebook. I should probably delete Facebook and just maintain a blog of two year old isms instead. 

As for the Disney thing...ain't nobody getting a trip to Disney courtesy of the Elf in this house. The Elf doesn't bring shit. You do everything on your sticker chore chart and the Elf tells Santa you can have presents. lol that's how we roll around here. 

ETA: wasn't done writing! 
  • @magnolia305 that is an AWESOME idea. Maybe our Elf will help my son pick out some toys and clothes to donate this year and a few activities to 'give back' to others... I like this idea a lot! 
  • I'm Team "The Elf is a Pain the Ass." If Santa sees you when you're sleeping, and knows when you're awake, and knows when you've been bad or good, why does he need the elf to be a narc? ;)
    good point :)
  • Chawk17 said:
    I'm Team "The Elf is a Pain the Ass." If Santa sees you when you're sleeping, and knows when you're awake, and knows when you've been bad or good, why does he need the elf to be a narc? ;)
    good point :)
    This is my thought completely. I mentioned taking it back and DH sounded heartbroken.  DS1 is 4 and will love it, DS2 is 2 so he won’t understand.   I was just going to decorate a bulb ornament to say “Santa Cam”
  • I hate that stupid elf. My coworker has been anti elf on a shelf and her husband brought one home saying "Look what so & so got us!" He was all excited about it and she said "You brought that damned thing into our lives and you're going to deal with it." He couldn't understand why she wasn't doing backflips of excitement like he was. She said she'd going to give him a week of dealing with it, forgetting to move it, etc before he gives up on the idea being a fun thing to do.

****TW Signature****
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DD born 04/28/2002
    Married DH 03/25/2017
    1st MMC 08/13/2016 2nd MMC 02/14/2017
    BFP 06/16/17 Rainbow DS Born 02/05/2018

• I haven't done anything with Elf on the Shelf at home yet--DS is two.  I don't know that he would get it.  

I DO use that little guy in the classroom.  This year, however, we are doing "Beyond the Shelf".  A local parent started this awesome idea--she sold kits for Elf on the Shelf.  All proceeds go towards a terminally ill local child who is buying gifts for other sick kids at the hospital (hello tears).  Anyways, you buy this kit--and the elf provides  ways to GIVE BACK.  One day, you write a Christmas card to a soldier (addressed envelope is enclosed).  The next day, you put hand-warmers and hot chocolate packets in your mailbox for your mail carrier. You bake cookies one day--then deliver them to a neighbor the next. There are 25 days of ways to give back--all of which is provided.  I will adjust some of the ideas for our class (instead of home)--but I like this version of "The Elf" better than the little asshole who goes around destroying shit.  
    Oh my God, I love that idea! I’m going to pass it on to my mom who is a second grade teacher. 
  • @magnolia305 I love that idea!  I haven't really thought much if we will do elf on the shelf or not, but I may do that when the time comes.
  • I do enjoy seeing the creative things people do with the Elf on FB, but I have zero desire to have him in my house. Seriously, they couldn’t find a less creepy design/look for an elf that watches your children? 
  • We have an elf,  but it's not the one you buy at the store its a vintage one from the '50's. She doesn't make messes,  bring gifts,  or anything. We move her everyday,  or rather my 16 year old moves her everyday because my dh and i fail miserably at remembering to move her. We post a pic of her on fb maybe once a year at the most. 

I thought the kids weren't supposed to touch the elf? 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    older siblings: ds 16 dd 14 ds 13 dd 11 dd 7 
  • No. Just no. To the creepy elf. 
  • I can't find wallpaper- I wanted to wallpaper nursery  ( thinking easier) and I can't find a store that carries. Grrrrr. 
  • @Chawk17 I think a lot of people buy wallpaper mostly online now, check out Tempaper. Not sure how it compares to other places price wise but I’ve drooled over some of their patterns in the past! Never bought though...yet. :)
    Married 6/1/13
    BFP #1 7/2013 MMC 9/17/13
    BFP #2 5/2014 MC 6/15/14
    BFP #3 11/13/14 (Found in ER with ruptured cyst) Diagnosed MC 11/15/14
    BFP #4  4/2015 MC 7/1/15
    BFP #5 10/21/15  EDD 7/3/16 Praying for our rainbow! 
  • We live in an apartment and my upstairs neighbor is letting some guy stay with her. They have had several fights (verbal yelling, not physical) and I think she must be an emotional cleaner.

So my bitchfest is she is now vacuuming at 1am directly over our bedroom (so loud) and I had to go ask her to stop (requiring climbing the stairwell in a nightgown and hoodie). Now I'm wide awake and LO is awake from me climbing... cue insomnia yet again.

I hate apartment living
  • @Chawk17 I think a lot of people buy wallpaper mostly online now, check out Tempaper. Not sure how it compares to other places price wise but I’ve drooled over some of their patterns in the past! Never bought though...yet. :)
    I'll check it out Thanks!