June 2018 Moms
Options

Silly poll just for fun! Internal ultrasound; who inserts the wand?

krash_krash_ member
edited November 2017 in June 2018 Moms
This came up in the Weekly Questions thread. Head over there if you want a fun read! How does the Dr/Nurse/Tech insert the wand? 

ETA: Lurkers, feel free to vote! The bigger the demographic the better! 
*TW LC*
Me & MH: 32
DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
TTC #2: 12/2019
Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

Silly poll just for fun! Internal ultrasound; who inserts the wand? 97 votes

They hand it to me and I insert it; its easier because I know my body
19% 19 votes
They insert the wand; they just lube it up and stick it in there
80% 78 votes

Re: Silly poll just for fun! Internal ultrasound; who inserts the wand?

• Options
    IDK that I agree it makes any difference at all if I do it, but they have me do it lol
  • Options
    Exactly what @doxiemoxie212 said, makes no difference to me but they have always had me do it.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Have always been told to do it myself. I'm sensitive anyway lol, so I prefer it.
    me:35 DH:34
    DS: born oct 2012
    TFAS: BFP #1 aug16. miscarriage sept16
              BFP #2 nov16 MMC dec16. d&c jan17
              BFP #3 sept17  EDD 5/31/18
    fingers crossed for our rainbow baby
  • Options
    I have always been handed the wand and I've never had issues with discomfort or bleeding after. Works for me!
  • Options
    I was asked at my 12 week u/s the first time around if I wanted to do it myself or have them do it.  I must have looked at them oddly because no one else in the practice ever asked me that. They always just did it themselves.  
  • Options
    I was surprised when it got brought up in the other thread that they ask the patient to do it, because I’ve never been asked to do it myself. 
  • Options
    I had no idea inserting it yourself was a thing. When it came up on the questions  thread, I thought I was misreading at first!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Usually the provider does it, but for some reason she told me to do it at my last appointment. I thought it was weird but was eager to see that things were ok so didn’t waste time fighting it. Took the wand and put it in. Weird but not a huge deal to me. 
    Me: 31; DH: 31
    NTNP: May 2015
    TTC #1: late August 2015
    PCOS Dx: January 2016, starting Femara Feb 2016
    BFP: 2/29/16 - Happy Leap Day!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Yeah I’ve never done it myself. And I get internal ultrasounds every year (even before oh bc of my fibroids). It’s definitely quicker I’m sure bc the doctor inserts with no hesitation. 
    Me:27 DH: 31 Married Since: 08/2016
    TTC: 08/2017 EDD: 6/11/2018 FTM
  • Options
    So I see a lot of pretty saying that “the doctor” inserts it...is it legit your doctor?  Mine have always been done by an US tech and not a Dr - maybe that makes a difference?
  • Options
    @Miz_Liz Mine has always been an US tech and she's always inserted it. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @LaceyBee522 welp, there goes that theory!  
  • Options
    @Miz_Liz mine was my doc. I feel like this is just proof of how different every single doctors office is haha
    Me: 28 | Husband: 39
    Married March 2016
    DD: born 7.22.16
    DS EDD: 6.23.18
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @sunshineandwhiskey so true!  I have never had an US done by my Dr with any of my pregnancies or even for other issues.  It has always been a tech then the Dr reads them and calls or discusses at my next appointment if necessary.
  • Options
    When I am at the OB office, either the OB or the nurse practitioner does my ultrasound.  When I go to the high risk doctor, a tech does the ultrasound and the doctor comes in the room immediately after.

Every doctor's office is SO different!  Even my best friend whose doctor shares a parking lot with mine is an entirely different process.  It's like we compare apples and oranges.
  • Options
    @Miz_Liz every time I've had an u/s tech perform the u/s I've had to insert and every time I see a doctor for the u/s the doctor inserts.  I assumed that being in an OBs office vs a radiology office you are more comfortable with vaginas. 

me 35/ DH 39
    married 8/22/2015
    BFP#1- 4/2014 edd 1/1/15 mmc/d&c 6/2014
    BFP#2- 10/2015 edd- 6/29/2016 mmc/ d&c 12/2015
    BFP#3- 4/30/2016 DD1 12/27/16
    BFP#4- 9/26 edd 6/5/18

• Options
    @jsl82 that’s what I was wondering about.  Plus obviously different levels of training and such tech vs Dr.  I find it interesting that Dr’s do ultrasounds!