Parenting after 35

Too chill?

Because I am over 35, I am close to the last person in my extended group of friends to have children. The oldest of my friends' kids is a teenager and the youngest recently turned 1. That being said, I have been told by certain friends that I am very chill and laid back in my parenting and that I act nothing like a first time mom. I think it is because I have been around so many babies in my own family and through them, that I have realized what is cause for a necessary freak out and what isn't, if that makes since. Essentially, live and learn. What are your thoughts on this? Kind responses only, please.

Re: Too chill?

• Are they saying you're too chill in a bad way? I think a lot of times as first time moms we stress out about things that don't really matter and that most second time moms don't worry about.  That's not a bad thing at all, you're just keeping your sanity a little more than the rest of us. 
    But if they're saying you're too chill in paying attention to your little one or in providing care, that's a totally different story.  Its not clear from your post exactly what point you're trying to make.

• They are saying I'm too chill when it comes to things that stressed them out unnecessarily. Things such as overly sanitizing everything, sticking to specific brands of baby items ("because I heard that *insert item* is bad/good for *this and that*"), being paranoid about public spaces/germs...just things like that. Nothing about care or safety. Thanks for letting me know that I wasn't clear. :)
  • Loading the player...
  • I guess I am too chill as well.  Every parenting style is different.  Don't worry about your thoughts.  Do  what works for you and your family.  If I stressed about every time the soother hit the floor, what should or should not be done in certain cases or milestone timelines I would go crazy.  You are doing fine.