Pregnant after IF

3rd trimester check in Wk Oct 30th

This is a weekly check in for the mamas  who have made it to the 3rd trimester!!! If you are in week 28 or past, feel free to join in on the weekly fun.

If you're just joining us please post a: 
•Mini synopsis in your first post with your EDD
•How many babies you are pregnant with
•If you know the gender(s)
•How you have been feeling in your 3rd tri
•Any upcoming or recent appointments you may have had

Feel free to share pictures of your bump, nurseries, baby gear, and of course those babies when they arrive! 

QOTW: is anyone dressing their bumps up for Halloween? 

3rd Trimester mommies and their little bundles:

@Joslynj11 EDD 10/26/17 with a little girl 
@PolythenePam EDD 10/31/17 with a little boy
@sasha29-2  EDD 11/18 with a little boy
@Jeansis EDD 11/30 with a little boy
@liljoy-2 EDD 11/30 with a little girl
@PoeMasque EDD 12/8 with a little boy
@clovelyone EDD 12/16 with boy/girl twins
@stella_700 EDD ?? with boy/girl twins
@wabash15 EDD 12/25 Team Green
*TW*
TTC 1/2012
Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
TTC #3 5/2016
Restarted Fertility tx
IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

Re: 3rd trimester check in Wk Oct 30th

• 40 weeks (tomorrow)! I thought little dude was coming this weekend. Had some tmi discharge stuff, cramping that put me in a ball in bed, googled “is my water leaking.” But he’s still comfy. I have an appt tonight, really curious what my OB will say - I know she’s no magician but she called it with my daughter that we’d see her the next day after my last appt and she was right :)

qotw nope haha. If I’m not in the hospital I’ll take my daughter trick or treating, she’s dressing as a fire truck so I have a fire hat. I am usually more creative but energy levels are looooow :)
  • Hi ladies! Haven't checked in in a few weeks, but everything has been pretty good with me. I am 35.5 with 1 boy, and nothing too extraordinary has happened. Heartburn has been terrible for the last 2 weeks, but it has eased up over the last few days. Getting up 5 times a night to pee and totally used to it! :)

Only thing of note is my visit to my OB's office today. I recently turned 35 (like since my last visit), and the midwife I saw today literally opened with, "Well, you're old now, so we need to start seeing you twice per week because there's much more risk with an advanced maternal age pregnancy." Then she rattled off all of this really scary stuff about how being advanced maternal age puts me and my baby at higher risk of all kinds of issues, and how they don't want me going past 40 weeks, and how they will induce labor if needed. It was the first time I saw this midwife and none of the other docs or the other midwife I saw have said anything about any of this to me, so it was kind of a shock.  So now I have to go for twice weekly sonograms just because I turned 35. I held it together during the appointment, but as soon as DH and I got outside the office he said, "Did that scare you?" and I started crying and cried all the way home. It just seems like all of this came out of nowhere. All of my checks have been good, and even today she said baby is right on track, but all of a sudden I am "old" (as she so tactfully put it) and now everything is terrible!  There's also this element of guilt because I feel like the subtext of that whole conversation was, "You're endangering your baby because you are 35, so why the hell didn't you get pregnant sooner?" She didn't actually say that, but that is what I took away from it. Believe me, if I could I have gotten pregnant sooner and without the intervention of doctors, I certainly would have!

Sorry for the rant ladies! Has anyone had any experiences like this? If so, how did you handle it? I am fine with the extra testing and precautions, I just don't like the way it was presented to me. DH wants to request that we don't see this person again because of her bedside manner, but she does a ton of deliveries for my OB's office so I am not sure if that's possible. 

QOTW: Not planning on it. I will probably just hand out candy while wearing something comfy! Plus maybe a witch hat! :) 
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Loading the player...
  • @Jeansis wow I’m so sorry you dealt with it!! I mean ok if that’s the case, why not say that at the start? We see you’ll hit 35 years old mid-pregnancy, at that point here’s what happens. But the total out of the blue change? I’d be really annoyed. I know others who were 35+ and if they had that many appts they never mentioned it. The only one I know had the extra appts and induction was my cousin but she was closer to 40 and she’d had tougher deliveries with her other kids.

And I hear you, we may want one more kid which would put us at 36, 37 yrs old. Sure I thought I’d be done sooner but we didn’t plan on the big delay. So sorry ❤️
  • @Polythene Pam Thanks! Yes, the surprise element was my main issue. I'm fine with extra testing/appts. Just wish I'd known they did this sooner. Also, being told "you're old" was not my idea of a funny/appropriate thing to say to a patient. I could tell she was trying to be jokey, but I didn't like it.  :/ 
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • @Jeansis Im sorry the delivery was so alarmist, what a horrible way to bring up AMA monitoring! I’m 37 and although I got some extra testing at the beginning, I’ve been told by two OBs now that the twice weekly monitoring is optional. In fact, my main OB kind of chuckled when I mentioned it and said she doesn’t do it unless you are 40 or older (she’s definitely one of the older OBs at my office, so I feel like she has more experience). If you’ve had an “unremarkable pregnancy” thus far, I wouldn’t sweat the midwife’s comments. Some practitioners are overly cautious and some are more relaxed. The extra monitoring doesn’t seem to lead to better outcomes (per research), but it does lead to more interventions. 

AFM: 34+3 and Baby has definitely dropped. My whole groin area is sore and walking seems to shoot pain down one labia or the other. Starting to really feel like an AMA pregnant lady and wondering how I’m going to make it another 5+ weeks.....eep! 

QOTW: i have zero energy for a costume tomorrow, although my cubicle at work is super decked out! 
    Me: 39 SO: 36

Dx: low progesterone, possible DOR - officially "unexplained"

TTC#1 since November 2015
    9/16/2016 IUI#1 - BFN
    10/12/2016 IUI#2 - BFN
    1/21/2017 Clomid/IUI#3 - BFN
    March 2017 IVF: BFP! (beta#1 191, beta#2 378!) - it's a boy! DS born 12/6/2017

TTC #2 since July 2018
    May 2019 IVF #2: BFP! (beta#1 346, beta#2 646) - vanishing twin at 8 weeks. Baby B still going strong - due 2/8/20!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @jeansis that's a bit crazy. I am AMA and was with the twins even with a twin pregnancy and MFM I only went in once a week at the end. I'm even older this time around and seeing a MW. The only thing we have done was a more detailed US at 20ish weeks. That MW is being crazy. Yes being AMA has a few more risks but usually they worry more about birth defects. If you have been chugging along just fine she is being crazy. Don't be scared or feel guilty for some of us especially on this board it has taken us a long time to get here and anyone who is not sensitive to that can F*** off. 
    @PoeMasque I'm with you on feeling like an old lady sometimes. You can do this, is only another 5 weeks... its going to fly!
    @PolythenePam that's great that your daughter is a fire truck!

AFM, 32 +1 and just chugging along. I have another check up tomorrow but so far so good. we have a cat in the hat theme this year. DH is the cat, the twins are thing 1 &2 and I (or my belly) am the fish in the fish bowl.
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• @jeansis OMG the delivery on all that was completely out of line.  I think it's worth calling the practice and asking to talk to someone other than that midwife about your monitoring options, especially if no one brought this up to you before you woke up on your birthday magically AMA.  If your pregnancy has been otherwise normal, two times a week just because you turned a certain age more than halfway through your pregnancy seems over the top.  Every woman and every pregnancy is different and it's not like a magic switch flips at 35.

AFM, 39 weeks tomorrow, and feeling every day of it.  I'm starting to be able to tell who's still in the When Will She Go work pool by the reactions I get every morning when I show up, lol, but my co-workers are pretty much awesome so it's all fun and games.  I'm trying to figure out what I'm feeling; I'm getting these low, menstrual-like cramps once in a while, and last night for about three hours they became pretty regular and pretty strong, with that wave-like feel women describe contractions being like.  I've brought them up to my doctor a couple times, but the guy I've seen the last few times has been like "nope, not contractions, not even B-H."  Which is weird to me, because reading online, I've seen a lot of women say their contractions felt like menstrual cramps.  I hate to say it, but I feel like I trust his opinion so much less than the female doctors at the practice; it's easy for him to say labor or false labor contractions don't feel like menstrual cramps when he's never actually felt either one.  One guy at work told me, though, based on his experience with five daughters and ten grandchildren, was "if you get those pains, try to go to bed. If you can sleep and they go away, you're not in labor."  So that's what I did, lol, and lo and behold, I slept, and today, nothing.  I'm just so ready for this kid to get here already!

QOTW: We went to a party this weekend and I was a circus tent (it was a circus themed party), lol.  Other than that, I'm not dressing up for tonight or anything, I'll just go home and give out candy in my pajamas.  I like having all the kids come around, so I'm excited for that.    

• Hey ladies! We're still in the hospital but I wanted to bring out updated..Little miss Riley born yesterday morning October 30th at 7:50 weighing in at 6lbs and 5oz❤️ baby is fine, and we  should be home by Wednesday! 

Dh and I are so in love with her already!! Thanks for all the support and love from this group of ladies. It really helped keep me calm going into pregnancy after IF. So much love to this community and I can't wait to you ladies bring your babies home too!!

Me: 29 DH:38
    First RE Consult 3/9/2016
    IVF ER 5/5/2016
    23 eggs retrieved; 15 mature; 8 developed to embryos; 6 frozen day 5; 2 frozen day 6
    Transfer canceled OHSS
    FET #1 6/2/2016 transferred 2 embryos
    Beta #1 6/15/2016 BFN
    FET #2 8/1/2016 transferred last 2 embryos (lost 4 in the thaw)
    Beta #1 8/12/16 BFN
    IVF #2: Started stims 12/2 
    ER #2 12/14/2016; 16 follies retrieved, 8 fertilized to day 1, 4 frozen day 5, and 1 frozen day 6
    Praying my frosties are strong through the next thaw FX
    FET # 3 2/07/2017 2 embabies thawed 2 embabies transferred
    2/14/2017 *TW* First ever BFP
    Beta #1 2/20/2017 277 Beta #2 2/23/2017 8,945...did I hear you right!
    3/10/2017 One beating heart HR 168!! So very happy
    3/10/2017 Official graduate from Jones Institute for Reproductive Health!! Couldn't help but cry
    6/8/2017 Anatomy Scan proves ITS A GIRL! 
    10/30/17 An angel was Born; Riley Charlize 7:50 AM my heart is so full
    *Praying that 3 is our charm*

• @Joslynj11 CONGRATS!! she is beautiful!!!
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• @Joslynj11 oh what a beauty!! Congrats!!! Rest up, you deserve it! ❤️

@sasha29-2 I hate the guessing game and I’d totally have a hard time trusting a guy dr too! My dr said something similar though- I’m having severe cramping but she said if it’s not timeable and regular it’s just my uterus getting ready. I’ve been going to bed and they go away. With my daughter there was NO question when it was real contractions, but many other friends went in (for induction or whatever) and we’re told they were actually having contractions and were in active labor. So who knows!  I literally can’t tell if I’m peeing myself or I’m leaking haha so I’m just ready for a definite sign.

I had my appt last night, I’m 3-4 cm and baby is low. I know I could sit on that but hoping he’s close :)
  • @Joslynj11 congrats!! So glad she is here and you can hold her in your arms!!

@sasha29-2 i wouldn't trust that OB either, because he obviously doesn't know what he's talking about. I asked about BH because I hadn't really felt anything and expected to by 32 weeks, the OB said I had definitely had them, but just didn't know. Also, lots of women describe early contractions as "menstrual-like cramping", it doesn't mean it's time to go to the hospital, but that also doesn't mean they aren't contractions. I recently woke up to half of my uterus contracted/cramping, not horrible, but enough to wake me up and if any man tried to tell me that wasn't a contraction he would be dead wrong. 

9/16/2016 IUI#1 - BFN
    10/12/2016 IUI#2 - BFN

TTC #2 since July 2018
    May 2019 IVF #2: BFP! (beta#1 346, beta#2 646) - vanishing twin at 8 weeks. Baby B still going strong - due 2/8/20!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Joslynj11 Congrats she's beautiful!

@PolythenePam @PoeMasque That's the thing, is he said they are 100% "not contractions."  I would've been totally fine if he were like "oh yeah it's just practice contractions/cramps, no reason to rush to the hospital with them but your body's getting ready" or whatever, because that makes sense. But to tell me they are "not contractions" doesn't make any sense, especially without offering an alternative.  I want to like him, he's new to the practice and his overall demeanor is friendly and nice, but those comments just reinforced every experience I've ever had with a male doctor where I say in no uncertain terms "I feel something, something is happening in my body" and they go "oh no sweetie you're fine" without so much as a follow up question.  And sometimes I feel bad because I know there are good, empathetic male doctors out there, but I will go out of my way to avoid male doctors because I've gotten that type of attitude and response so many times, especially with OB/GYN stuff. 
  • So if you have to google whether it’s pee or amniotic fluid multiple times... just go in haha. It took my doc, a swab sample and an ultrasound to determine that my water ruptured and was leaking very slowly. So we’re starting pitocin to get things rolling!
  • Oh and @sasha29-2 they haven’t started pitocin yet- I have period cramps, the nurse just told me they’re contractions. So tell your doc he’s wrong ha. These are nothing like with my daughter, just feels like my period is coming.
  • @PolythenePam LOL I will thanks!  Good luck!  I've actually been having the "fluid or pee" debate with myself a bit lately too, so I'll definitely have them do the swab tomorrow when I go to the dr just to check!

What would we do without this board sometimes lol :)
  • @polythenepam congrats!! I am so glad this delivery was smooth. My labor started as period cramps too, so I feel like the Dr who said that it doesn't feel like that is wrong. When we got to the hospital I was at 1 cm and progressed to 3 within the hour.  Anywho congrats again!! ❤️
    Me: 29 DH:38
    First RE Consult 3/9/2016
    IVF ER 5/5/2016
    23 eggs retrieved; 15 mature; 8 developed to embryos; 6 frozen day 5; 2 frozen day 6
    Transfer canceled OHSS
    FET #1 6/2/2016 transferred 2 embryos
    Beta #1 6/15/2016 BFN
    FET #2 8/1/2016 transferred last 2 embryos (lost 4 in the thaw)
    Beta #1 8/12/16 BFN
    IVF #2: Started stims 12/2 
    ER #2 12/14/2016; 16 follies retrieved, 8 fertilized to day 1, 4 frozen day 5, and 1 frozen day 6
    Praying my frosties are strong through the next thaw FX
    FET # 3 2/07/2017 2 embabies thawed 2 embabies transferred
    2/14/2017 *TW* First ever BFP
    Beta #1 2/20/2017 277 Beta #2 2/23/2017 8,945...did I hear you right!
    3/10/2017 One beating heart HR 168!! So very happy
    3/10/2017 Official graduate from Jones Institute for Reproductive Health!! Couldn't help but cry
    6/8/2017 Anatomy Scan proves ITS A GIRL! 
    10/30/17 An angel was Born; Riley Charlize 7:50 AM my heart is so full
    *Praying that 3 is our charm*

• @"Polythene Pam"  Wow, congrats, glad the labor was relatively easy this time
    @Joslynj11 Baby is so cute, congrats mama!
    @"Jeansis " Are you kidding me? 35? I'm 37 and my OB doesn't want to see me twice a week, he's very hands off with me. As long as the pregnancy is uneventful he doesn't treat me as AMA at all. 

@PoeMasque The baby dropped already? I thought that was supposed to happen about 2 weeks or less before labor? I also started having shooting pains in my groin and bladder area, but I don't think she dropped, I still feel kicks in my ribs and stomach and it's still hard to breath if I eat or drink. 

I'm 35 weeks but feel like 39 weeks, haha. It's hard to move because I get belly pains, hard to sleep or turn in bed, I get menstrual type cramps and BHs, I have constant heartburn and nausea. I wonder if she's going to come earlier or I need to trudge through this for 4-5 more weeks...
  • PoeMasquePoeMasque member
    edited November 2017
    @Polythene Pam he is amazing!!! So glad everything went perfectly ❤️

@liljoy-2 you can be 100% effaced and 3 cm dilated for 2 mos before delivery.....so baby can def drop before then too. Doesn’t mean they won’t still kick you in the ribs or make it hard to breathe either

9/16/2016 IUI#1 - BFN
    10/12/2016 IUI#2 - BFN

TTC #2 since July 2018
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • This app is killing me!!

...... my OB did say the crotch pain was my pelvis preparing for birth by becoming “unstable”, not due to baby dropping, but he is head down and in “the position” (not sure if that means officially dropped or not! Haha) 

I’m with you on ALL of those complaints, absolutely no idea how I will stand 4-5 more weeks of this

9/16/2016 IUI#1 - BFN
    10/12/2016 IUI#2 - BFN

TTC #2 since July 2018
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @liljoy-2 i feel you on the crotch pain... sometimes I think its this one sitting on nerves but at this point it could be the pelvis shifting too. 
    @Polythene Pam CONGRATS!!! I'm so glad labor went well. He is beautiful!
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• @Polythene Pam Lurking from PAIF grads...so many congratulations!! He's beautiful! Hope to see you on the grad board soon.
    *TW below*
    Me: 40 DH: 38
    TTC since November 2012
    BFP IUI Cycle 2 Dec 2016
    Baby Boy Due Sept 12 2017
    Elias (Eli) born 9/2/17 at 7:07pm weight 8lbs 10oz and 20.5 inches long!!