December 2017 Moms
Options

GTKY: Parenting like/unlike your parents

DH and I had this discussion over the weekend about how we ideally want to raise our daughter, and we got into talking about things we liked and disliked from our own upbringing. I thought it was a pretty helpful conversation.

1 - What are some things that your parent(s) did that really worked? Something that now you're looking back on and are like, damn that was a good parenting move?

2 - What are some things that your parent(s) did that did not work? Something that you hated when you were little and that you want to avoid now as a parent?
Me: 33 DH: 34
Married: Oct 2015
TTC #1: Sept 2016
BFP: 10/19/16 ~ blighted ovum ~ D&C 11/23/16
BFP: 3/24/17   <3  DD1 born 12/2/17
TTC #2: July 2018
BFP: 8/26/18 <3  DD2 born 5/16/19

Re: GTKY: Parenting like/unlike your parents

• Options
    #1- I have told my parents this several times lately, but I really think they did a killer job of NEVER making my brother and I feel like a burden to their lifestyle. Now-- that being said-- I honestly have no idea if a kid who spends every weekend with a babysitter or whose parents constantly take vacations without them (or whatever other example) actually *notices* it, but I definitely know people who are constantly complaining about how much their kids cramp their style and do everything in their power to maintain their previous kid-free existence whenever possible, and it makes me sad. My parents had a good balance (work parties, dinners out with friends, date nights, business trips, what-have-you) but the normal day-to-day vibe was that they'd much rather do things with us than without us.  Even still to this day! Last year my mom and dad went on a cruise together and mom complained it was boring without us  :D

# 2- Mom and Dad weren't always great communicators, with each other nor with us.  That included their willingness to have the "heavy" types of conversations with us-- sex talk, bearing bad news about loved ones, deep chats about things like religion etc.,-- even really just talking about feelings in general was sort of taboo at our house.  

Also, because I was a relatively good student, I really think they trusted me too much and I got sneaky/lazy as a result of realizing they weren't ever going to question me or check behind me. Sometimes I wonder what I could've accomplished if they trusted me a little less and made sure I wasn't turning in assignments late or hanging out instead of studying for tests (both very very embarrassingly frequent occurrences)! Ha!

Ironically, my dad is a micromanager type of parent, somehow without being a helicopter parent. I think I get my control freak tendencies from that, unfortunately.  His style of parenting guidance was very much like "This is what you should major in. This is the car you are going to drive. Here, I made you a dentist appointment." Basically, trying to make sure we never experienced failure by essentially never leaving any decisions up to us in the first place.  It wasn't until I got married and DH really wanted to prove to my dad that we were OK without his help that I even realized how much dad had always micromanaged my life.  Thankfully I turned out fine notwithstanding, and it's MUCH better now for me, but he still does it to my brother and I think bro is still pretty irresponsible as a 25 year old as a result. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Awesome discussion topic, this really made me think.

1 - What are some things that your parent(s) did that really worked?

My mom raised me basically by herself and she did a fantastic job when I was younger of treating me like a real little person (her sidekick rather than "just a kid"). She brought me with her everywhere, taught me pretty decent social skills, to try everything once and appreciate all different kinds of foods, and we traveled a ton and I got to see and experience so much. You could feel how much she cared about me, I was her whole world. So I can't wait to bring my son with me to all kinds of interesting places and have him try all different foods, and really just try to give him interesting experiences he'll remember forever (and not just with me, but with DH there as well).

2 - What are some things that your parent(s) did that did not work?

While loving and as emotionally supportive as she was capable of being, my mom had almost zero trust in me when she actually should have appreciated just how good I was. I was a total rule-following nerd, but because she questioned my every move I felt like a little criminal, so I ended up kind of rebelling thanks to some crazy reverse-psychology. Like, I learned that I had to lie to her about even the most innocent things, and she'd constantly accuse me of the most nefarious activities even though I was a little straight-edge. And then when I developed depression, she had no idea how to talk to me about it, so it became this huge chasm between us. I really want to be someone my son can talk to/level with, and I'll try to never accuse him of anything unless I have some kind of proof, because it sucks to feel like a criminal. And more importantly, I'll going to try to be emotionally available and sensitive to him, especially with DH's and my combined histories of depression & anxiety.
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    TTC #1 since 12/2015
    BFP 4/4/17, EDD 12/4/17

Pregnancy Ticker

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    DH and I had such different childhoods that it's almost like we grew up in totally different cultures, despite both being from Southern California.  We've had a lot of conversations about this, but he remembers his childhood as idyllic and perfect and clearly what his family did was best. =\ Mine was not perfect, and not idyllic, but definitely had some good that I'd like to carry forward.

1 -- My mom basically raised me and my closest brother on her own.  Pre-divorce, I remember seeing my dad on Sunday mornings, birthdays and holidays and not much else.  All the day to day grind of raising us was mom, and she did an amazing job.  We didn't have much, but she carved out money and time so that we could go to the zoo and we always hit up reading hour at the library, and I even remember grocery shopping with her as fun.  My brother had some major childhood illnesses, so we spent a lot of time isolated from other kids, but she'd set up a fake camp ground for us in the backyard when we missed out on scout trips -- we grilled hotdogs and made smores over a hibachi grill, sang campfire songs, etc -- and make other adventures for us.  I never felt deprived, even as I became increasingly aware of how tight our budgets were as I grew up.  I'm not sure if she was more helicopter parent or tiger mom, but I was terrified of disappointing her -- and she knew everyone without seeming like a busy body.  And she managed to know everyone without overly restricting our freedoms.  I had the freedom to ride my bike in at least a 5mi radius around 12yo, as long as she knew where I was going to be.  She was consistent about rules and consequences, so I pretty much knew I'd earned it when I got in trouble. She made sure we learned practical skills grounded in understanding the world around us (mechanical, gardening, cooking, mending clothes, etc) by treating us like we were imminently competent, and just in need of a few pointers to get us started.

2 -- My dad's house, by contrast, was a crazy place.  They had a sort of fleeting relationship with the truth -- and if you didn't fit into the image they wanted to show the rest of the world (which most teens don't), you got punished. Rules and consequences varied wildly, with no recognition that they were being inconsistent. My dad & step mom were emotionally manipulative, and focused on "winning" some sort of parenting score card against my mom.  Both were totally fine with using intimidation to coerce compliant behavior, and often divided us siblings and told us different versions of stories to see who would "lie" to the others.  We siblings--I have two steps on this side, plus the full brother--still sometimes conference call one another to try and figure out where the truth is in the variety of versions of the same stories that our parents spin for us.  While there was more money for things like vacations, I never felt enriched the same way I did at my mom's, and I was always afraid that something nice meant something unpleasant was going to follow.  

2 -- Mom's house, the not great.  My mom, underneath all of her awesome, has a really fearful worldview.  Everything in the world is out to get you, or pull you down, or impede your progress.  (That's why you need all the practical skills: self-reliance!) Strangers are all secretly murderous or violent; the system is out to screw you -- you have to constantly be your best and brightest self to rise above the sturm und drang.  While I appreciate the tenacity and drive this put into us, I'm pretty sure there are other ways to get there. I don't want my kid to be afraid of everything, but I do want him to be rightfully wary of others' self interest.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    1 - What are some things that your parent(s) did that really worked? Something that now you're looking back on and are like, damn that was a good parenting move? 
    We were always involved in nature, camping, swimming, hiking. We basically lived I  our trailer at the lake all summer, learned about fishing and hunting and respect for nature at a young age. We basically only ever wore shoes when we went into the city or to school.

2 - What are some things that your parent(s) did that did not work? Something that you hated when you were little and that you want to avoid now as a parent?
    Where do I start? 
    They tried to keep up their adult lifestyle but bring us along. Now keep in mind this was the 90s so standards were different than they are now but I think they were a little out of bounds regardless. For example they'd take us to the bar (family friendly during the day) and when kids were no longer allowed they'd send us outside to play or sit in the car and continue to drink. We were probably 8 or 9 at the time. We also spent a lot of time just at my parents friends houses where they'd drink until late night and ignore our begging pleads to go home at 10 or 11pm. None of that will ever be happening. 
    They also always seemed to be in survival mode. Not like they had a plan for how to raise their kids, just doing things "how they've always been done" rather than making decisions for themselves. I think this stemmed from an extreme level of self consciousness on both of their parts and being SO concerned with what other people thought rather than what might be best for our family. 
    Plus a lot more... This is part of the reasons I currently live across the country from my family with no intentions of moving back.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    1 - What are some things that your parent(s) did that really worked?

--They were really hands off, which was a two-sided coin.  As a result I spent a lot of time with myself and in my head (and learning to be totally fine alone), but also knowing that if I failed or made a mistake or even succeeded, it was all on me.  That made errors harder but successes sweeter.  I liked that I basically had a set of hard rules (eg don't ride your bicycle out of sight of the house), but I had huge freedom to operate within those confines.
    -- Not letting my kids get out more than one activity/toy at a time.  When I was a kid this felt so restrictive, but in hindsight it kept down the mess and prevented the 'playtime is over it's time to clean up' meltdown that I see in other families.  Also we had the occasional free-for-all weekends that felt extra special.
    -- My mom showed up for every single practice, game, meet, performance, etc.
    -- My dad never wavered in his belief that I was a great daughter and someone to be proud of, and he would tell me that a lot.

2 - What are some things that your parent(s) did that did not work?

Oh man, sometimes it boggles my mind how different my kids' childhood will be from mine.  Major points:
    -- Learning how to safely navigate the world.  I was taught the world was a scary dangerous place and if I was attacked or hurt it was probably my fault for not being aware enough or putting myself in dangerous situations.  Even if it's scary for me, I'm adopting some free-range practices because it's so important to me that my kids know how to safely get around and feel totally confident doing so.
    -- Consistency in discipline.  This goes along with my mom being mentally ill but there was absolutely no predicting what would set her off.  I learned early "the rules are made up and the points don't matter", so what's the point in listening to or respecting someone like that?  
    -- Cultivating emotional intelligence.  I could never talk about what was worrying me or any challenges because they would just say, "Don't worry about it" or "It will be fine."  There are so many steps between feeling anxious about a problem to identifying it to figuring out solutions; I really believe kids need road maps for navigating this stuff early on so they build confidence and trust later.  
    -- Non-violence as a way of life.  I will absolutely not smack, pinch, or spank my kids or threaten them with violence, and we will institute zero-tolerance for any physical acts of aggression between siblings.
    Me: 36  | DH 35, Married 2007
    TTC #1 June 2015
    April 2016 - AMH, FSH, Progesterone normal
    June 2016 - HSG clear
    *TW* BFP - Aug16, demise confirmed Sep16, incomplete m/c, D&C Nov16
    BFP 3/27/17, edd 12/7/17
    DS - 12/9/17 
    <3 
    TTC #2 December 2018 
    BFP 2/22/19, edd 11/4/19
    DD - 11/1/19 <3
    My Chart

• Options
    @whiska my mom hbad rage issues too and would go off the handle for no reason as well. I am TERRIFIED I will do this too, but therapy has helped. Same with the violence thing. Relates back to my parents doing what's always been done because they got hit for discipline that's what they did to us, without really considering if it was right or wrong. We also experienced a lack of consistency, and sometimes would get in major trouble for something and other times not... it was not a great situation to develop in. 
  • Options
    @leilagphillips Oh you reminded me! I was chubby in middle school, probably overweight, and then I had a crazy growth spurt freshman year and that’s when it ended. But during that period my mom would make comments about how I needed to stand up straight—but they were about my belly, not my posture. And those comments made me feel pretty crappy and I totally plan to be more body positive with my daughter.
    Me: 29 || DH: 29
    TTC #1 4/2016 || dx NIR PCOS 7/2016 || BFP 4/2017
    DD - 12/28/17 <3

TTC #2 3/2019
    BFP 5/2019 || MC - D&C 5/2019
    BFP 2/2020 || EDD 10/10/2020
  • Options
    Yesss, @leilagphillips, more body positivity!  My dear sweet mother comes from a long line of women with low self-image and although I don't recall her scolding me or calling me out for anything weight-wise (although my dad occasionally would), I began to recognize that the things she complained about about herself were also attributes that I had/have.  A little girl should be pleased to look like her mama.  At some point when folks would tell me I looked like her, my reaction sort of became "Really? Oh." 
  • Options
    1. My parents had a really good balance of being strict with rules, and trusting us to follow those rules without checking up on us too much. Looking back, I know they had a whole network of parents that they would talk to pretty much every day and find out if anything shady was going on, and I also know they had a keyboard trace on our computers so they knew what we were talking about/doing online, but they never would confront us about stuff they found out that way. Instead, they'd wait until we came to them with problems, and they just had a heads up. We had a lot of rules (no dating until my sister and I were 16, 10 PM curfew until we were 18, they had to meet our friends' parents before we were allowed to hang out at their house, etc), but other than those big overarching rules, they let us do our own thing. Once we started driving, we had to let them know where we would be, but it was more of an "Ok - call me when you head home" kind of thing. DH's parents let him run wild from a very young age - he and his friends would ride bikes miles and miles away from their house (and end up on the highway, no joke). I don't think I'd be ok with that, because MIL never knew where DH was during the day, and once he started driving, he was even worse about going random places without telling his parents. 

2. My parents didn't really talk about the heavy stuff with me. My sister had severe anxiety in high school and college. Since she was 3 years older than me and required so much attention because of her panic attacks, I was kind of on my own a lot. Granted, I was already super independent and preferred being by myself anyway, but it also meant that I looked into everything like sex, my period, world views, politics and religion on my own and kind of taught myself. At the time, it felt like my parents didn't care what I thought or didn't think I was old enough to understand (looking back, I think they were just drained from dealing with my sister, so they just enjoyed the lighter stuff with me). I'd like to introduce my kids to the more serious topics and make sure they understand what DH and I believe and think about topics, but also let them know they can always come to us with questions and don't have to turn to google for everything.

Overall, my parents were pretty great - we were disciplined in age appropriate ways, and we never felt like we were a burden to them, but due to our family dynamics with my dad traveling for work, my sister's anxiety, and mine and my mom's depression, I know there are things that we could have all done a lot better. 
  • Options
    @failuretofly Thank you for sharing your fears because I am also terrified of what I learned by example and whether any of that is going to just randomly come out when I'm running on little sleep or have lost patience.  Luckily I have a wonderful, patient H to model behaviors after when needed, and since I've thought so much about it and tried to pre-emptively identify my triggers, I will keep working really hard to stay aware and not hurt or scare my kid or make them feel how I felt.  
    Me: 36  | DH 35, Married 2007
    TTC #1 June 2015
    April 2016 - AMH, FSH, Progesterone normal
    June 2016 - HSG clear
    *TW* BFP - Aug16, demise confirmed Sep16, incomplete m/c, D&C Nov16
    BFP 3/27/17, edd 12/7/17
    DS - 12/9/17 
    <3 
    TTC #2 December 2018 
    BFP 2/22/19, edd 11/4/19
    DD - 11/1/19 <3
    My Chart

• Options
    @whiska Yup, I'm right there with you. That was one of my biggest fears when we decided to have kids, I don't want to parent with rage. It was also part of the reason I feared this baby being a girl because I had it in my head that myself being a girl brought out the rage in my mom due to our conflicting hormones (totally irrational, I see that now) It might help to have a chat with a therapist about it? I found it EXTREMELY helpful. I also realized that a lot of the rage stems from unchecked anxiety, rather than anger, so if I find myself getting anxious I try and mitigate it before it gets to that point. 
  • Options
    elcd458elcd458 member
    edited October 2017
    @babybison  Great point about the debt thing.  That was the philosophy at my house too and definitely something I want to instill in my kiddos.  Part of the problem with the world today is that people think massive amounts of debt to "keep up with the Joneses" is OK and normal! 
  • Options
    @babybison
    ugh my parents were the opposite about fiscal responsibility. They were ALWAYS in debt and talked about how they lived in overdraft on their bank account frequently. I had no idea what to do with money once I started earning my own. I owe all of my financial well being to DH and his parents teaching me & him. Now I am a 'do not ever carry debt' type of person and couldn't imagine taking out a loan for anything beyond a mortgage. Even our most recent vehicle was paid in cash.
  • Options
    I love this topic!  Reading everyone's responses brought back a lot of memories and made me reflect on my parenting so far.

1.  My parents did a really great job of instilling the value of hard work.  I grew up on a family farm, which probably helped, but it was always pretty clear that everyone did their part to help out.  There was no allowance- you got paid to do work.  They also were great role models of living debt free.  They were NOT wealthy by any means, and looking back I don't know how they raised four kids on that income, but they went were great about getting us what we NEEDED and helping us save or plan for things we wanted.  They had no credit cards and didn't buy things unless they could afford them.  They also supported any activities we wanted to be involved in (sports, scouts, etc), but never forced us or made us do something we didn't enjoy. 

2. Two things come to mind.
    • Spanking.  Yelling.  These tactics weren't really used on me much (I was such a goody goody) but my brothers were both spanked and yelled at sometimes and even as a bystander, it affected me negatively. My one brother was a pretty challenging kid, so I get that my parents were likely frustrated, but it's just not how I hope to parent.
    • Dealing with emotions/tough stuff- I never felt like my parents really opened up room for dialogue about the big stuff/hard topics  As a teenager, I always felt like I was just "too emotional" rather than having someone recognize that I was going through changes or challenges that could have benefited from conversations with my parents. I never really felt I could open up to them because they were sort of dismissive of my feelings.  Even now, our family doeesn't talk about feelings and I don't go to my mom with problems much.  I hope to be different with my daughters and I hope they feel comfortable talking to me.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @peachy13 +1 to the dinner at the table without the TV. 
  • Options
    Ah- this was interesting to think about.

1 - What are some things that your parent(s) did that really worked? Something that now you're looking back on and are like, damn that was a good parenting move? I didn't have the best childhood so this was tough for me. But I liked that my Mother let me choose the activities that I was interested in. I was never forced to try things I didn't want to do. She encouraged and paid for my dancing when I found my passion at the young age of 2.

Biological Dad- Spanking and yelling for silly or wrong reasons. Emotionally and physically abusive.  Running out on the family with no explanation. Obviously be the opposite of him. haha

Mom- Was super shy and non-confrontational. Gave no rules. Gave too much responsibility to me at a young age. (babysitting my little sister and basically raising her starting when I was 6 years old). Wouldn't give "the talk" not even about starting my period. When I told her I started my period she went to the store by herself. Got me Winnie the pooh PJs, and a box of pads and tampons and put them outside my room. That was it. haha

So basically thanks to my parents for showing me what I don't want to be. I hope to be involved in my children's lives. I hope to encourage them. I want them to feel that they can come to me with problems or difficult things to talk about.

ETA: Almost forgot the biggest one. Saying I LOVE YOU! I don't think my parents or I have ever said this to each other. It has made it weird for me when my MIL etc. says this to me... just because it's not something my family says. I say it to my DH all the time - and my kiddos will know I love them. They might get sick of me saying it...but they will know. haha
    This breaks my heart for you. I tell DD all the time that I love her, like annoyingly all the time.  That’s how I grew up though. We said I love you a lot. I’m glad you are going to overdo it with your babies. 
    Pregnancy Ticker