November 2017 Moms
Options

Pomegranate arils inducing labor?

I went into labor last Thursday at 38 weeks. My water broke about 30 minutes after I ate dinner and I had eaten a salad with pomegranate arils. I just realized there's talk of a link between pomegranates and natural induction. Don't know if that's what sparked my labor, but thought I should mention it on here! Here's the recipe if anyone's interested: https://www.littlebroken.com/2016/11/13/pomegranate-arugula-quinoa-salad/. Made a really yummy post-nursing snack last night too! 

Re: Pomegranate arils inducing labor?

• Options
    dragonfly87-2dragonfly87-2 member
    edited October 2017
    The recipe looks yummy...but it's my guess it was just a fluke. Some research has indicated a link between pomegranate extract oils (and the rind) inducing contractions of the uterus...but not a link with pomegranate juice or the fruit as a stand alone. I have been drinking Pom wonderful without concern during pregnancy.

But hey, if someone goes past their due date and wants to try some natural stuff...I guess it couldn't hurt!
  • Options
    Definitely could be a fluke! The nurse also said that the cold front we had could have brought it on. I thought it was the seeds that had been linked though: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/01/100127095916.htm. It's funny, I don't think I've ever eaten them before, but I had bought some for a dinner party we were throwing Friday. Ended up having to cancel that! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Agree with @dragonfly87-2, sounds like a fluke, but definitely a fun one! :) That study linked is about pomegranate seed extract, which it says is much more concentrated than pomegranate juice (i.e. MUCH more concentrated than just eating pomegranate fruit/seeds). I actually had salad with pomegranate seeds last night too, but fortunately did not go into labor. :) They are delicious and healthy though, so no harm as far as I know!