March 2018 Moms

UO Thursday - 10/19

13»

Re: UO Thursday - 10/19

• Sorry @leilaquinn and @antoto but give me all the meat!

Also team no top sheet! I feel like they just get in the way and wadded up.
  • @antoto I think Okja was beautiful and worth watching regardless of how you feel about eating animals, i was so crazy about snow piercer too! The ethics of eating other living things are endlessly complicated, and I eat oysters and muscles and clams and don’t feel bad at all, but sentient mammals that are fully capable of making friends with us should at least give us pause.
  • Loading the player...
  • @leilaquinn your fur baby is adorable !!
    Me: 36    DH: 37
    Married: 5.27.16
    Baby Boy Due: 3.18.18
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• For my own UO we aren’t raising raising our kids to believe in Santa, easter bunny, tooth fairy, etc. in laws about crapped their pants when we didn’t take our then 13 month old to be terrorized by Santa 
    Dude. Same here.  I'm sick of being told "Aw, you gotta let your kids have fun." It's always from the same people that seem to believe you can call a kid names (eg brat) for doing something very normal and kidlike. 

I say that but we have taken the cutest pics with Santa and Easter Bunny and I like that. 
  • @barrelocarol @Gingermom15 same! I have no desire to teach my kids about a fake thing that they eventually have to unteach themselves. Although, Easter egg hunts will still be happening because I’m a grown woman and I love me an Easter egg hunt. 
  • Gingermom15Gingermom15 member
    edited October 2017
    For my own UO we aren’t raising raising our kids to believe in Santa, easter bunny, tooth fairy, etc. in laws about crapped their pants when we didn’t take our then 13 month old to be terrorized by Santa 
    Dude. Same here.  I'm sick of being told "Aw, you gotta let your kids have fun." It's always from the same people that seem to believe you can call a kid names (eg brat) for doing something very normal and kidlike. 

I say that but we have taken the cutest pics with Santa and Easter Bunny and I like that. 
    I’m not at all opposed to having pictures done with Santa or easter bunny if the opportunity arises. Mainly, I just don’t want to wait in line and deal with crowds. We already knew that our son was terrified of Santa, though. Why torture him? And yes, they are absolutely the people who call kids brats and such for normal kid behavior. So annoying. 
  • ksmwaltersksmwalters member
    edited October 2017
    @antoto @leilaquinn I loved Okja but I am still admittedly an unapologetic meat-eater. (Partially because I didn’t eat beef for a good 4-5 years and was severely anemic because of it.) Also no bacon is good except for pork bacon imo. 

• I am also on board with the no Santa/Easter Bunny stuff. We still have fun with it (ie. do an Easter egg hunt, and take DS for a picture with Santa). But I like being able to tell him it's just pretend and for fun. Plus, why should Santa get all the credit for the gifts I bought him! Lol
  • Y’all I can’t gif on mobile for the life of me. 
  • @enigmaticjj, I absolutely despise elf on a shelf. Seems like waaaaaay too much work for me. 
  • justkeeptrying I’m totally going to be the mean mom that tells my kids that Elf on the Shelf is bs. 
  • I never wanted to do Santa either but gave in because I'm a sucker for Christmas magic. Finding out he wasn’t real wasn’t a big deal in our family either- we grew up pretty poor so while it wasn’t a magic elf we had many Santas out there helping our family out. We don’t do the Easter bunny and hopefully they won’t spoil it for other kids but I just can get on board with that one. The tooth fairy was tricky, my oldest asked if she was real (the day she lost her first tooth) and I asked she wanted the truth, she said yes so I told her. She cried and I told her maybe my sister’s tooth fairy could fill in and somehow she bought it. Selective memory I guess. 

But it now my kids believe there are 2 magical beings around all the time: God and Santa and apparently they are on the same level. I guess some women of think it’s blasphemy but my OU about it is that it’s hysterical. But I’m agnostic so I’m in the god gray area. 
    Big Sisters 2/10 & 12/11
    Little Brother 3/1/18
  • UO: Santa and all the pretend people over here. I still have a letter saved that circulated around the WWW that I will share with our kids when they ask if Santa (or Easter Bunny) is real. It explains that we weren’t being malicious, but helping them see that we can give without needing a thank you or needing to know where exactly a kind gesture is coming from. I wish I could find it right now, but of course.... 
  • @chasingroygbiv I know what letter you’re talking about!!!! I LOVE THAT LETTER! I’ve always said that if we do Santa, that will be how we explain it to them that he isn’t real. 
  • I love Elf on the shelf. Mine doesn’t move every night (I’m lazy and I forget) and I don’t threaten the kids with him but I think he’s cute. I get more enjoyment out of seeing him in random silly places in the House then the kids do
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • I didn't really believe in the Easter Bunny or the tooth fairy but I played along for a while and tried to use it to my advantage. One year I made an Easter Bunny trap and baited it with Skittles trying to get my parents to give me a bunny. It did not work. They left a little fluff of fur that they somehow sourced and said the bunny must've gotten away. I would also be sure to tell them that the tooth fairy had forgotten to come by and would make a point of showing them where I put my tooth pillow (made and embroidered myself, it was awesome) so they could get to it easily. 

Santa I kind of figured out bit by bit but clung to the notion for a long time. When it was finally obvious, I wasn't mad. I was touched they had gone to all that trouble. And I loved that I could ask Santa for anything. I'd ask him for all the stuff I thought was too expensive/unrealistic for my parents like a Nintendo (Santa did end up getting us one but it was to all three of us to try to prevent some of the fighting). The list I made my parents was always much more reasonable. 

Me: 34 DH: 38
    Married: June 2011
    TTC since Feb 2016
    BFP#1: 7/7/16 MMC: 8/16/16 
    BFP#2: 5/8/17 - CP
    BFP#3: 6/27/17 EDD: 3/10/18