Married: June 2013
TTC#1: January 2015
BFP #1 8/24/15 | MC 9/3/15 at 6w2d
BFP #2: 12/12/15 | DD born 8/29/16
TTC#2: June 2017
BFP #3: 7/15/17 | DS born 3/20/18

Re: UO Thursday - 10/19

• Loading the player...
  • @syssa-o he's like that one dude in high school who one person said was hot and somehow it took off so for 4 years everyone talked about how hot he was while deep down everyone just thought he was minimally attractive at most.  I'm pretty sure every graduating class has one, it's a law of the universe.
    Big Sisters 2/10 & 12/11
    Little Brother 3/1/18
  • @Mass-girl-at-heart that makes so much sense. I actually lol-ed. 

I forgot about him till recently when they started airing (I think it was) Lincoln commercials. 
  • muggle621muggle621 member
    edited October 2017
    @barrelocarol I agree 100% with everything @ShawnnaO said. I also would never turn someone away who was going through something terrible or having a medical issue; HOWEVER, if you are referring to this latest Knottie the reason I took issue with her is b/c based on the information she offered then she brought this situation on herself. There is such thing as responsibility, birth control, and abstinence. My father is an alcoholic so I'm well aware of what life is like with someone who has an addiction. 
     If you know your H is an addict and won't get help and you already have 5 kids then don't sleep with him or if you do, use RELIABLE protection. Don't come on a forum where some people have waited years and/or paid thousands of dollars and endured months of heartache before conceiving all upset because you got pregnant with an oops baby and your parents aren't happy for you. Note she didn't say they won't help/support her. She was upset because they weren't happy for her. Well of course they aren't happy ! And let's face it she probably knew he had a drug/alcohol issue when she slept with him. We all make mistakes, even big ones, but she seems like one of those ppl who NEVER takes responsibility for her own actions and I CANNOT STAND people like that. 

I guess this is also my UO for the day! 
    Me: 36    DH: 37
    Married: 5.27.16
    Baby Boy Due: 3.18.18
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• muggle621muggle621 member
    edited October 2017
    @syssa-o I think Matthew McConahey was good looking about 15 years ago and that only lasted about a year! I don't see what the appeal is either. 

• @ksmwalters I very unwillingly became team no flat sheet only because my husband was so strangely unable to put himself  between the fitted and top sheets. He always ended up between flat sheet and cover, then would act like my insistence on both sheets was some quirky, eccentric habit. I will admit, though, that it makes cleaning and remaking the bed a lot easier.

• muggle621 said:
    @barrelocarol I agree 100% with everything @ShawnnaO said. I also would never turn someone away who was going through something terrible or having a medical issue; HOWEVER, if you are referring to this latest Knottie the reason I took issue with her is b/c based on the information she offered then she brought this situation on herself. There is such thing as responsibility, birth control, and abstinence. My father is an alcoholic so I'm well aware of what life is like with someone who has an addiction. 
     If you know your H is an addict and won't get help and you already have 5 kids then don't sleep with him or if you do, use RELIABLE protection. Don't come on a forum where some people have waited years and/or paid thousands of dollars and endured months of heartache before conceiving all upset because you got pregnant with an oops baby and your parents aren't happy for you. Note she didn't say they won't help/support her. She was upset because they weren't happy for her. Well of course they aren't happy ! And let's face it she probably knew he had a drug/alcohol issue when she slept with him. We all make mistakes, even big ones, but she seems like one of those ppl who NEVER takes responsibility for her own actions and I CANNOT STAND people like that. 

Oy.  I mean, I'm on board with what you posted to knottienumbers 100 percent, and I understand why/how posts like hers can be hurtful.  But I'm not sure I can get fully behind your statement here, particularly the part about responsibility, birth control, and abstinence.  

Poverty, abuse, mental illness, and access to women's health services come to mind right off the bat as to how one could find themselves in her situation, and it's absolutely no one's place to judge how she got into her current situation but rather to ensure that there are options available to her and others to either help prevent it from happening or to support her when it does.  This is why the current war on women is so.effing.important right now. 

***March '18 October Siggy Challenge: Halloween Costume Fails***

• ShawnnaO said:
    Team I never make the bed unless I just washed the sheets. 
    Omgosh.  No. Noooooooooooooooo.  Beds made.  Every day.  No excuses.  I think it is directly tied to my mental health, actually ;)

• @ShawnnaO lol I was team never make the bed for the LONGEST time and then the amazing Jolie Kerr made me change my mind. (Original post: https://www.thehairpin.com/2012/03/ask-a-clean-person-lets-all-make-our-beds/  And her reasoning: https://adequateman.deadspin.com/make-your-bed-make-your-bed-make-your-bed-1688978576) I did it for the month of March several years ago and now I feel very weird and kinda stressed if I don't make the bed. It's like a compulsion. We'll see how this shakes out once we have a kiddo, though.  :D

@orbmaker @bettyvonsomethingstein Yeah, right there with you. Thankfully we don't have any close family members who are sticking to their guns on the issue but I definitely intend on staying vocal and calling out extended family if/when they make comments.

• ShawnnaO said:
    OH I REMEMBER. 

My UO: I’m team no presents on birthdays. For Christmas, go crazy. But for birthdays, I would much rather take my kids to go EXPERIENCE something. I know when I was younger I always asked to go somewhere rather than receive presents. Even just a weekend trip somewhere if the birthday is during the school year (mine always was) or going out to dinner and bowling that night. Or even telling them “okay, for your birthday we’re going to Disney World but not until -insert a break in school where you have enough time to go-“ and maybe wrapping up some Minnie Mouse ears for them to open on their birthday. I want to teach my kids there’s more value in experiences than things. 
    Related:  I'm good with presents for birthdays, but I do not want to throw three birthday parties every single year.  I think I would prefer a few gifts + a smaller experience.  Growing up we got to have a cake, our favorite dinner, and got to choose a movie for the family to see on our birthdays, and we just did parties every handful of years or so.  I think I want to do something similar.

• Also on the no flat sheet train. Their existence bugs me. 

And the bed is the first thing I do after peeing and puking. I neeeeed to crawl into a made bed at the end of the day. 
  • muggle621 said:

Oy.  I mean, I'm on board with what you posted to knottienumbers 100 percent, and I understand why/how posts like hers can be hurtful.  But I'm not sure I can get fully behind your statement here, particularly the part about responsibility, birth control, and abstinence.  

Poverty, abuse, mental illness, and access to women's health services come to mind right off the bat as to how one could find themselves in her situation, and it's absolutely no one's place to judge how she got into her current situation but rather to ensure that there are options available to her and others to either help prevent it from happening or to support her when it does.  This is why the current war on women is so.effing.important right now. 

@bettyvonsomethingstein I live in Louisiana, which is one of the most poverty stricken states the country. It's also a red state so needless to say we have hardly any planned parenthoods or low cost mental health clinics available,  so believe me when I say I understand there are a lot of factors out of a person's control. I see it every day and volunteer regularly with organizations which assist those in need. I mean in some schools here sex ed is still abstinence only so my state (and many others) do nothing to educate girls and women on how to prevent STD's and pregnancy. 
    The reason I got kind of judgy is because the way she worded her post. Her "parents are not happy" for her and something about (I'm paraphrasing here) God deciding she needed this child even though she didn't plan on 6. Those statements say to me she is not one of these women who have been denied access to such services.   Had she not included those statements in her post then I would have left well enough alone. 

• I just wanted to add @kiki75 articulated how I feel so much better than I did! Well said! 

• @muggle621, I mean, I support your comments to her, I really do.  I just think she had enough material to be flamed for without getting into the whys and hows of her situation, because you really just never know, and it's really no one's place to judge that aspect.  

• @bettyvonsomethingstein Fair enough. I will lay off the judginess. 

• absolutely no top sheets! I go so far as taking it off the bed before I go to sleep in a hotel. I do like making the bed, which is a fairly new thing for me, like I was in my 30s before I cared, but we also have burrowing blanket obsessed pit bull who unmakes the bed and turns it into a king size  nest if it's under 75 degrees outside, so sometimes I just tuck him into it and then make it before bed. 
    I have never thought Matthew McConaughey was attractive, but after Dallas Buyers Club and a few other things I do think he is a better actor than I used to.
  • muggle621 said:
    @bettyvonsomethingstein Fair enough. I will lay off the judginess. 
    muggle621 said:
    muggle621 said:
    ^evidently I have a lead quoting finger.  @muggle621, LET'S NOT GET CRAZY HERE AND HALT ALL THE JUDGINESS.  I fully expect continuing flames and rants from you, pleaseandthankyou, and I'll be there to back you up with fist bumps and love-tits and GIFs.  I think we share many viewpoints, and I appreciate hearing from you <3

• I see all the merits of the comments re: recent drive by. I am missing out on tagging everyone who commented on this. I have to say again: I'm so impressed that we can all discuss and share different  opinions in such a respectable way. I love that and I'm glad to be part of this board. 

I should have noted I was just commenting in general and was in no way calling out anyone or even had anyone in mind. I wasn't even thinking of this recent post, just in general. 

Also, I've never met a useful top sheet and our bed is constantly disheveled as of late.  

• Those of you who don't like the top sheet must not live in the south. 
    @muggle621 This might be crazy, but we live in South Florida. We technically use a big, fuzzy throw blanket as our top sheet (I guess? Does this make me a top sheet hypocrite?) with a big, fluffy comforter... Every night. We keep the it at 75 at night and I'm still freezing. 

Warm bodies do weird things...
  • @muggle621 it gets hot up here but I have such a dramatic need to sleep in a cold room that we run our ac in just the bedroom basically until it's cold out.

• Those of you who don't like the top sheet must not live in the south. 
    @muggle621 This might be crazy, but we live in South Florida. We technically use a big, fuzzy throw blanket as our top sheet (I guess? Does this make me a top sheet hypocrite?) with a big, fluffy comforter... Every night. We keep the it at 75 at night and I'm still freezing. 

Warm bodies do weird things...
    You are still cold at 75 degrees? OMG I want your air conditioner!!!! We keep it at 69 at night and I'm still hot!  I'm one of those people who is always cold at work, at the grocery, at movies, etc. but at night I just burn up. 

• @ShawnnaO my son isn’t having a birthday party this year. We’re taking him to a museum and dinner instead, big in part due not needing/wanting gifts and partly due to not seeing a point in throwing a party for a two year old. 
  • @Gingermom15 yes! Maybe it’s a UO of mine but if they aren’t old enough to remember the party, why throw a party??? A mom I know made me feel so guilty for not throwing my daughter a first birthday party. 
  • @ShawnnaO we threw my son a first birthday party at the local pizza place. It was stressful and we found out he doesn’t even like cake. He got so much stuff that he never cared about, a ton of clothes because people shopped for his age rather than his size, after I told everyone who asked what size he wore. He’s a super scrawny kid and wears up to 3 months behind in clothes, so he didn’t get anything weather appropriate. As grateful as I am, I would much rather buy clothes and toys myself 
  • k318k318 member
    edited October 2017
    I love the idea of a huge baptism party and first birthday party with the parents’ family and friends. I know the kids don’t remember it but I see it as more of a party for the parents. The baptism is great because people who I don’t necessarily want at my house know that they get to meet the baby soon after birth. Both are also celebrations for the parents making it through (in my opinion) some of the hardest times of their life.

edit for grammar 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • It’s okay to let your kid cry. Unless he is throwing such a huge massive fit that my nerves can’t handle it, sometimes he just needs to have his “moment.” 

This is is especially unpopular when I am visiting my family because it is practically a crime for my child to be upset and make noise. Also, I don’t let him just lose his shizz in public and disturb other people. But he’s a kid. He’s allowed to be upset.