June 2017 Moms

Pack and Play

My twins have been sleeping together in a pack and play since they came home. We bought it from someone, so it did not come with a mattress or bassinets. To save on space and money, we let them sleep on the firm bottom part with a fitted sheet (for pack and plays). Does anyone else do this? I've had mixed reactions, such as it is too low to bend or they "need" the mattress, to great idea, and the firm bottom is safer. It seems to be working fine, though.

Re: Pack and Play

• I've never used a mattress in a pack n play.  I think you are doing fine.
    MC Sept 2010
    BFP Oct 2011 - DD born July 2012
    TTC again since July 2014
    First IUI 9/26/16:  BFP!
    EDD 6/19/2017
    It's a girl!
    Born 6/26/17, 9lb 5oz
  • I've never heard of a pack n play coming with a mattress. I have heard of outside companies selling mattresses for pack n plays, however, I would not use one as those mattresses have been known to be ill fitting, causing gaps between the pack n play and sides of the mattress that babies have suffocated in. I wouldn't worry about not using the bassinet portion either because by this point, they are probably too big to use it. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I've never heard of a pack n play coming with a mattress. I have heard of outside companies selling mattresses for pack n plays, however, I would not use one as those mattresses have been known to be ill fitting, causing gaps between the pack n play and sides of the mattress that babies have suffocated in. I wouldn't worry about not using the bassinet portion either because by this point, they are probably too big to use it. 
    Yes, we just purchased a graco travel crib and after seeing the ads/ "frequently purchased" items it looked like  many people bought a separate mattress. However, I couldn't find a mattress that Graco themselves made. After researching I read about many issues with the fit and potential issues with suffocation or limbs getting stuck in gaps (and if you read the Amazon reviews some people complain about the mattresses being poor fitting and sometimes roll up blankets or find another way to make the fit better). We will not be purchasing an additional mattress. Our daughter has only slept in the Halo Bassinest overnight so far, we are transitioning out now as she is almost 4 months and has started to roll. The Halo also has a very thin and firm "mattress" and she has been fine with it. I'm not sure if there is an actual reason that babies might benefit from a larger mattress or if people are just thinking of their sleeping/mattress needs and applying them to their babies? I can't think of any reason outside of comfort that a baby would require a different mattress and if they're sleeping okay in it they are probably comfortable. 
    Me (28) & DH (35)
    Met 4/2010+Married 8/2014 
    TTC #1 August 2016BFP 10/2016= DD Born 6.23.17
    NTNP April 2018. BFP 5/2018 EDD 1.29.19 *Team Green*

• Thanks for your replies. At one point, I really thought I was doing something wrong or missing something. I am glad that I am not the only one who does this because some "veteran moms" can make you feel like a failure.