September 2017 Moms

Breastfeeding Support

12346»

Re: Breastfeeding Support

• I'm too cheap for nursing tanks. I have a couple nice nursing bras. I wear tanks from Walmart and Target. They are the super stretchy ones, my favorite is the SO brand. They are camis. 
  • @jessieR358 @tfrangul  Thanks for your recommendations! Just what I was looking for. :)

@Sugargirl1019 Haha, yes, basically. I do have a few nursing tanks, but they are pretty pricy, and I am wanting something I can buy a stock of without spending a ton of money.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • I like the old navy diy nursing tank hack. Attaches to any nursing bra.
  • Is bright orange poop ok? Like candy corn orange poop?! It seems to have changed from yellow to orange. 
  • Is bright orange poop ok? Like candy corn orange poop?! It seems to have changed from yellow to orange. 
    I feel like my first son's were bright orange. It's probably fine. 
  • Just changed a poopy diaper--yeah it's more orange. I'd say you're good! 
  • Red(fresh blood), white(no bilirubin) and black(digested blood) are the bad colors. Mucus and frothiness, signs of digestive irritation or intolerance. 
  • @Turtle15SW that is awesome! So proud of you for sticking with it!
  • Wow the bump was broken for a while there.

Glad things are going so well for you @Turtle15SW
  • lilpootslilpoots member
    edited October 2017
    @smashlie-2 which pump are you using this time?

While I've enjoyed the break from nursing every hour, my 5 week old has come down with a cold that he caught from his big brother. Thankfully he is still nursing every 2-3 hours, but this week is pretty critical in establishing your milk supply. If he starts leaving me engorged, I'll have to pump after feedings. Hoping they are both doing better by Halloween. 

Eta: baby probably didn't get brother's cold, thank goodness. We almost got sent to the ER, but instead, he has really bad acid reflux.
  • We're all at least 4 months in now and it won't be long before these babies are eating solids. How is breastfeeding going for you? 

1. Are you still breastfeeding? (I consider nursing and pumping to be breastfeeding)

2. Do you have a goal? 

3. How frequently does your baby need to eat?

4. Any breastfeeding accessories/products you can't live without?

5. Any breastfeeding success or struggle you want to share? 
  • 1. I work part time, so I nurse exclusively 4 days a week and pump 3 days a week.

2. I like to start with small goals. I'm absolutely going to at least 6 months' but I want to try for a year. I'll reevaluate when I get there.

3. When I'm home with him, he nurses every 1.5-2 hours. He'll take a bottle every 2-3 hours. Some nights he only wakes up once and other nights he is constantly nursing.

4. I've been living in my glamourmom nursing tanks. I wear them as an undershirt and they make nursing anywhere really easy. I couldn't pump without my glamourmom hands free pumping clips. I like them 100x more than my hands free pumping bra.

5. I have an invite to a girls weekend in July and I'm struggling with the idea of leaving my baby at home, while I'm in another state. Having a milk stash that's big enough also feels daunting, since baby can't tolerate dairy or soy, so supplementing isn't an option. I never went away like this with my first child, except for when I went to the hospital to have the new baby! 

• 1. Are you still breastfeeding? (I consider nursing and pumping to be breastfeeding)

Yes! My daughter refuses to take a bottle so we EBF. I only pump if she sleeps long stretches. I will pump a few ounces out just so I'm not engorged. 

2. Do you have a goal?

I would like to go as far as a year to a year and a half. 

She just turned 5 months and I would say she nurses every 3-4 hours now. 

Washable/ reusable nursing pads, rocking chair and boppy. 

Lacatation consultants and our local breastfeeding group have been my rock. Without them I guarantee I would of thrown in the towel but I stayed dedicated to asking for help and attending group three days a week for the first few months. It does and will get easier!
  • I forgot to add my struggle! Basically having Elliot attached to me 24/7. I don't have much time for myself. My husband and I have not had a date night since before she was born. My self care and returning to my exercise routine has gone out the window. I'm lucky to get in one yoga  or cross fit class in a week now. I'm always on a time limit but I know it's what's best for her.  I haven't been able to return to work full time yet. This too shall pass and I just need to savor and take in every cuddle I can because time seems to be flying by with her. 
  • 1. Are you still breastfeeding? (I consider nursing and pumping to be breastfeeding)
    Yes! I have been very successful this time around! my first son I never could produce enough milk, but this time around I make twice what he intakes, and he takes a LOT, he's a big boy, in the 97th percentile. I pump exclusively as he would never latch, I knew this would be the case as I have flat nipples.

2. Do you have a goal? 
    My goal is to breastfeed at least 12 months, but preferably 18-24 months. 

It depends. He typically eats about 4 ounces every 2-3 hours. He is eating solids now that he is five months and we typically only give him about 1 jar a day. he loves most fruits and veggies, hates meat.

My breast pump of course! but honestly nipple cream is a must. first couple months were rough, but now that my body has gotten used to the pump i don't hurt anymore. also Lecithin and milk flow plus supplements!

I had a lot of clogged ducts the first few months. It was awful. I started taking lecithin and it helped tremendously. now that my milk supply is basically set at 5 months I don't have that issue anymore. I make way too much milk. I have an entire stand up freezer full of excess milk, so I plan to donate some soon, but I want to keep a supply just in case I have to quit for any reason, or I lose some of my supply getting sick, etc.
    DS- 7

• @smashlie-2 congratulations. I'm so happy for you being successful this time and that's wonderful you want to donate. Just make sure to donate before the milk expires so they can make good use of it. I donate locally to a baby through the fb group Human Milk For Human Babies. There is also a group called Eats On Feets.
    Yes

2. Do you have a goal? 
    My goal is to make it to 12 months.

During the day, about every 3-4 hours. At night he still wakes to eat once, but goes 8-10 hrs before eating. We're dabbling in solids now (he turns 6 months tomorrow), but only small quantities once a day so far.

Hands free pumping bra. I also got the la vie lactation massager when I was getting clogs all the time. Using it in the shower really helped get my clogs out.

Struggles: I've had to be dairy free since Harrison was 4 weeks old and I really miss dairy! I'm used to it now and most of the time I'm ok, but it makes eating away from home difficult and I definitely get cravings from time to time.
    In the first 3 months, I got clogged ducts a lot and it was so painful. I took lecithin for awhile and figured out the best way to clear clogs quickly for me. Now I am mostly in the clear and don't take the lecithin anymore.
    Success: I am happy that I've been able to maintain a good supply and while pumping 5 days a week when I'm at work, I'm able to bring home more milk than he consumes each day, so my freezer stash continues to grow.
  • @lilpoots
    thanks I will look into that! I know some of my older milk still has over a month before it expires, but I need to hurry up. I may start rotating out some of my older milk with fresher milk and using it. to keep it a fresh supply. until I find out where to donate it. we actually bought a separate freezer just for my milk so it'd last longer, and because ours ran out of space rather quickly. wish I had this problem with my first one! 
    DS- 7

• Hi ladies!! 

1. Are you still breastfeeding? (I consider nursing and pumping to be breastfeeding)
    Yes! I’m working part time so nursing while home and pumping at work.

2. Do you have a goal? 
    Originally it was 6 months but now that we’re almost there my new goal is a year. I’d like to go longer than that but we’ll see how it goes!

She eats around every 3 hours, or at least that’s how long she goes between bottles while i’m gone. Some days she nurses more often than that but mostly for comfort around naps/bedtime I think.

My haaka! I use it on one side while she’s feeding on the other and it usually catches 1-2 oz

Struggle: I struggled in the beginning with my supply and had to supplement 1-2 feedings with formula (nothing wrong with formula but I really wanted to EBF and formula didn’t agree with her) BUT success: after lots of power pumping and supply boosting foods along with TONS of water every day we were able to cut out the formula and get back to breast and maintain a good supply since then  :)
  • @hmclaren I'm so happy for you. That's a huge success! I am glad to hear that you're both doing very well and I hope that you can make your next goal. 
  • 1. Are you still breastfeeding? (I consider nursing and pumping to be breastfeeding): Yep! Nursing at home, pumping at work

2. Do you have a goal? One year, anything longer is icing on the cake

3. How frequently does your baby need to eat? He takes five 4oz bottles during the 9 hours he's at daycare, and nursing every 2-3 hours during the day but giving me nice long stretches at night (8-10 hours)

4. Any breastfeeding accessories/products you can't live without? Hands-free pumping bra! I've been using coconut oil rather than lanolin and that's helped me, too. 

5. Any breastfeeding success or struggle you want to share? I've been overproducing this time and have donated close to 700 ounces to local mom's. I was a just-enougher with my first, so this feels awesome. I'm also planning to become a certified lactation consultant this fall - my area doesn't have nearly enough support for breastfeeding mom's.
    ***TW***
    RAD born 6/2015 |  mc at 7 weeks 9/2016 | rainbow baby RHD born 9/2017