January 2018 Moms
Options

Questions for STM+ 10/11

I use Hypnobabies! http://www.hypnobabies-store.com/link.cgi?affiliateID=472

J18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies!

Pregnancy Ticker

EDD: 1/6/2018
Eva Jane: 7/23/2014

Re: Questions for STM+ 10/11

• Options
    Has anyone had bad experiences with the Rhogam shot? I figured it was cut and dry good for you to do when you are RH negative...but I made the mistake of googling it last night. I won't post the horror stories, just rather hear from the girls I trust.
  • Options
    @TInman87 I have to get it soon and got it last pregnancy, no issues.  Never heard of anyone with issues and I know a few women who've had it and with multiple pregnancies.  I haven't googled, so I'll avoid that myself.  Getting it is major at least for the health of subsequent pregnancies.
    3 MCs
    1 Rainbow Baby: Born 4/4/15
    BFP: 4/23/17  EDD 1/5/18
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    TInman87  I have no personal experience as I am RH+, but the only time I have heard of a problem was with someone who did not get the shot. (All ended ok in the end, regardless.)  I hope your OB can ease your fears, I know what google can do to an anxious mind!
  • Options
    TInman87 said:
    Has anyone had bad experiences with the Rhogam shot? I figured it was cut and dry good for you to do when you are RH negative...but I made the mistake of googling it last night. I won't post the horror stories, just rather hear from the girls I trust.
    I've never heard of anyone having issues with it! I have had it 3 times now with no problems. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

@TInman87 no experience, but I do hope everything goes smoothly for you.

STM+ ladies-when did your milk actually come in for your additional pregnancies?  I had a friend who was in her third pregnancy and able to pump and freeze a bunch of milk ahead of time.  But I honestly don't recall if she was still BF'ing LO#2 or not at that point (and we've fallen out of touch since then).

Just wondering if maybe it's logistically possible to get ahead of the curve a bit...?

Jan '18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies

• Options
    @Shanski70 it totally varies.  Not helpful I know!  I BF'd DS1 until 8 months pregnant with DS2 (when my milk dried up) and then it didn't really come in until about 24 hours post birth.  This time, despite nursing DS2 even more often my milk is pretty much gone again (he's comfort nursing now, if at all).  But I know some people are able to nurse through their entire pregnancies and some people have their milk come in a few weeks before delivery.
    DS1: Nov. 2013
    DS2: Jan. 2016
    DS3: Dec. 2017
    Baby #4 on the way!
  • Options
    @Shanski70 I would definitely get that approved by your ob/midwife. I know people who have used pumping to try to start labor. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Shanski70Shanski70 member
    edited October 2017

@KatieEl kind of what I suspected. :)  Thanks!

@maueraa07 - I, clearly, did not even think about that aspect of this issue.  I'll hold off unless I notice my supply has arrived early for some reason-and then talk it over with my midwife.  I just remember how much I LOATHED pumping the first time around and was thinking that maybe getting a head start would be a good thing for me.

Jan '18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies

• Options
    @maueraa07 i hadn't even thought of that, but yes! good point!
    Baby #4 on the way!
  • Options
    @Shanski70 this is my third baby and I was an over producer both times before.  I bf'ed both for 14 and then 19 months but never while pregnant. My milk came in both times around 3-4 days after birth. I did pump for a few minutes the second time around during labor and I believe it did increase contractions.  I got no milk, just contractions!
  • Options
    sbishop426sbishop426 member
    edited October 2017
    @TInman87 I'm Rh negative and haven't had any issues with the Rhogam shot. I had one at 28 weeks last pregnancy and after I delivered since my son was Rh positive and to protect future pregnancies. It's no big deal! I did have a card I kept in my wallet that said I had the shot in case I needed to be hospitalized for some reason, staff at the hospital would need to know I had that shot 

The only thing to be concerned about is definitely call your OB if you have any spotting/bleeding as your body might try to reject the baby-but this is super rare and something the shot can help prevent 
  • Options
    @jakobaby that's super adorable 
    Baby #4 on the way!
  • Options
    Needing advice/reassurance: I have planned on starting my DS in a toddler preschool and have had him on the list since March! They did inform me he wouldn't be able to start until after he turned 2 (which was September 30) so I expected a later start date for him, however, the teachers licensure only allows them to accept 5 kids under 2.5 and they had so many register this year they have been doing delayed start dates as other children reach 2.5. I received an email this morning saying my DS can start November 30th. I'm a SAHM and he's used to being with me all the time, but he's extremely independent, doesn't get upset when I leave, does fine when I drop him off with my MIL (only been a couple times for my dr appts). I guess what I really want to be sure of is that it's not too close to adjusting to this new baby as well, and the last thing I want is for him to feel pushed aside. I'm due January 11, and went late with my first pregnancy. That would give about 6 weeks of him going twice a week (they are half days) before due date.  I *think* he'll do fine and I would love having the routine and the little break established once the new babe is here, but have also heard things about "give 90 days prior to or after baby to make big changes." Thoughts? 
  • Options
    @leeeahyo If he's anything like my DS, he'll love school and have no issue at all! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @leeeahyo i dont think its too close to tue new baby. I tjink it will give him plenty of time to adjust to the new situation ahead of time. Plus it will give you a little break during your 3ed trimester
  • Options
    @leeeahyo DO IT!  I think that's plenty of time for adjusting and you'll be so glad to have a tiny break towards the end of your pregnancy/with a new baby (I SAHM days and I love preschool days!).
    Baby #4 on the way!
  • Options
    leeeahyoleeeahyo member
    edited October 2017
    @missblaze @mamakassie2 @burnsmommy27 @KatieEl Thanks a bunch for the reassurance!!! My brain is going into overthinking/worrying mode here lately. And @supercoolstephy thank you, that's exactly why I wish he could have started earlier!  Maybe it wouldn't make a difference, but the older he gets he's becoming so much more aware of things and I can see those mama's boy roots getting deeper, haha! 
  • Options
    Now that we're getting close, as anyone started thinking about postpartum birth control? Hormonal bc is out for me because it makes me super sick plus I'm not comfortable with it while nursing (even though my ob assured me it is okay).  Does anyone have any experience with the copper IUD? I have read very mixed reviews. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @maueraa07 No experience with IUD. I went on the mini pill while I was nursing, although I'll probably go without this time.

I use Hypnobabies! http://www.hypnobabies-store.com/link.cgi?affiliateID=472

J18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies!

Pregnancy Ticker

EDD: 1/6/2018
    Eva Jane: 7/23/2014

• Options
    @jakobaby I'm at the same place as you. I've told DH that I'm getting my tubes tied if I need a c-section, and he has agreed to a vasectomy if that doesn't happen. I still want more back up, because I seriously don't want to go through another pregnancy. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @auntieraindrop I don't have any advice (DH is allergic) just wanted to say that I don't think you will love them less but that your heart will just grow with more love. Your priorities will shift but hopefully they will love the new LO and as LO gets bigger provide them with the affection (if sometimes rougher) that you use to. My brother's family had two dogs when they started having children and they had a fairly smooth transition. The dogs would curl up next to whoever was holding the baby.

My question is on nursing tops. I'm planning to nurse (FX no difficulties) and was wondering if it is worth it to buy special tops and dresses made for nursing or just focus on buying several nursing camis and bras. What do you recommend having before the baby arrives? I'll be home the first 12 weeks then will be pumping at work.
  • Options
    @maueraa07 I will be getting an IUD placed at delivery. This was an oopsie baby and we cannot afford that again, literally. DH will get his done if we still don't want more in 4 years.

@auntieraindrop we have a mini dachshund too!! He didn't adjust great, not terrible either. Mostly he just avoids DD. She is 16 months now and they are just now interacting. We didn't really change anything for his daily life. He still sleeps in bed with us but DD has been in her own room since 14 weeks old. I was super stressed about it too, just make sure both your dogs know you still love them, they will get it.

I read in one article while pregnant with DD that your dog knows your having puppies just not sure how many you are having :)
  • Options
    mauera07mauera07 member
    edited October 2017
    @kelk5 I bought a few nursing camis and wore them under regular shirts. It worked well for me, plus it makes nursing with people around more comfortable because your stomach isn't completely exposed and the top of my regular shirt would kind of drape above baby's face so nothing was exposed. And you can still wear all your regular clothes (when they fit again :s )

ETA: I bought a few nursing bras too, but honestly didn't wear a bra until several months postpartum due to comfort and the camis provided some support.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @kelk5 I just had a couple camis and some bras. I didn't really need to pump at work that often (short shifts) so most of the day I was in the comfort of my own home and didn't care about letting everything hang out.
  • Options
    @burnsmommy27 have you discussed with your doctor which type of IUD you want or what they suggest?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    leeeahyoleeeahyo member
    edited October 2017
    @kelk5 I second @maueraa07 loved having the nursing camis especially under a very flowy shirt that basically doubled as a cover. You'll figure out pretty quickly which clothes work best when nursing! You can buy nursing specific which I'm sure is very convenient, but you will definitely find what works with your regular clothing! 
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    @maueraa07 I think I was typing my post when you asked about the copper IUD. I had one for about six months. It made my periods very long and heavy and painful. I've always had fairly short, light periods, 4-5 days, with relatively minor cramps. With the Paragard in my periods were 10-12 days and heavy, with cramping so bad sometimes it took my breath away and made me see spots.

I'm told that the longer you have it in the less painful it gets, but I wound up taking it out after 6 months because we decided to get pregnant. I do think the side effects were getting milder as I had it in longer. I also had it put in when I had never been pregnant, and I'm told that the side effects are milder if your uterus is already stretched from a previous pregnancy, so I might have been an outlier there. 

All that said, I am considering having another one put in after this baby, because of my high blood pressure and migraines I can't use any estrogen-containing BC methods. I can use progesterone only, though so I'm also looking at the mini-pill, Skyla IUD, and Norplant. I'm also thinking that if this baby comes healthy and complication free, I might hold off on BC and have another one before I get too old. We'd like two children, but with my health problems, realistically, we can't afford to wait. 
  • Options
    @maueraa07 @jakobaby I've heard great things from friends who have had the copper IUD. I do not respond well to certain jewelry so my OB and I discussed and had the Mirena IUD. So I can't say how well the copper worked, but if anyone else is curious about how the Mirena worked, I did not have a baby until I had it removed, and it only took 2 cycles of tracking to make this one. DS was a very wonderful BCP baby. Also, I am having a repeat c-section and I told my OB that I don't care what she does, tie them up or remove them, I do not want any possibility of more babies. I don't care if DH gets snipped, I personally do not ever want any other babies soooo....

J18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @auntieraindrop I'm really curious to hear the responses to your question too! My pets are my babies (3 yr old black lab and 2 yr old cat) and I've been very worried about the transition with a new babe. My pets don't sleep with us thankfully, as the lab is a bed hog, and the cat is usually up prowling at night. BUT they are spoiled and get a lot of attention from both me and DH. And I've been told just don't love your pets as much after you have a baby, which breaks my heart. 
  • Options
    @auntieraindrop I don't love my animals any less, even though I had to rehome one cat this past week because he is just better suited for a one animal household and I was a wreck giving him back. I will say that I found myself more annoyed with them, at least when DS was itty bitty. Now they are/were great with him, but they were super needy kitties. I do dislike my (DH's) dog, but that is because I am not a dog person, and that will likely never change. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @kelk5 I had a few nursing tanks, and one nursing bra. I wasn't able to nurse and pumping only lasted a couple weeks. So I'd say maybe invest in the cami's for sure. I still wear mine and my nursing bra because they're just comfy.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @auntieraindrop Thanks so much. Those were the things that I've heard about it. I've always had very painful crampy periods so I don't think that will bother me very much, at least not as much as hormonal side effects would. It's reassuring to know you'd get it again. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @maueraa07 I will be getting Mirena or something similar with the localized hormone. I don't like the idea that the way the copper one works is by causing a reacting or irritation. That's the way my OB explained it anyways. We also talked about the Nexplanon but I don't want the OB cutting it out of my arm in several years, I'll pass
  • Options
    @jakobaby I am also an insane crazy person when I’m on any kind of hormonal birth control. Except for the mini pill, I was ok on that. We have decided that DH will get a vasectomy because this is going to be our second oops baby and the last. We are both content with 2 kids and I don’t want to be pregnant again. 

@auntieraindrop there was definitely an adjustment period with the animals (1 dog and 2 cats), but it was just a short grace period and now they are all best buds. The dog still slept in our room after DS was born. She is a big girl so sleeps on the floor. The first 2 nights she actually slept in the shower because she didn’t know what to think. We also prepared for the transition by setting up baby things early, like the crib, bouncer, swing. It allowed them all to get used to how the new furniture was going to be. We also had a friend watching the dog and brought her home after bringing DS home. So we were bringing her into the new normal, not bringing something into her territory if that makes sense. All in all animals are super adjustable and will most likely do very well with the new addition :)