March 2018 Moms
Options

Breast Pumps, Accessories, and Pumping in General

There's been some discussion in various threads so I thought it was a good time for this one. 

Me: 34 DH: 38
Married: June 2011
TTC since Feb 2016
BFP#1: 7/7/16 MMC: 8/16/16 
BFP#2: 5/8/17 - CP
BFP#3: 6/27/17 EDD: 3/10/18

Re: Breast Pumps, Accessories, and Pumping in General

• Options
    I am no stranger to pumping and the accessories. Ask away, mommas. 
  • Options
    Same here - what @Gingermom15 said. I had to get it all because I travel for work somewhat often. Pumped on airplanes, brought expressed milk back from international travel. With a little planning, anything is possible!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Does anyone have a recommendation for moderately priced double breast electric pump? Last time I used a medela which I loved, but gave it away since I thought I was finished having kids. It was expensive, hospital grade, and I don’t have that kinda of $$ this time around.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @k318 check with your insurance, they may have a program that actually gives you a breast pump for free or discounted. It's worth a shot. My insurance will cover at 100%. 
  • Options
    I have to plug Freemies. They are these amazing hands free pumping cups that can be worn somewhat discreetly. You don't have to be topless to pump and they don't hurt if positioned incorrectly, like traditional horns. 

If you're debating them...You won't be sorry!

I only bought them 7 months PP and wished I had them sooner.

They have a major learning curve but that's the only negative I've ever heard from my group of mama friends. 
  • Options
    @k318: Unless it has changed very recently, the ACA mandated that insurance provides a breast pump to new mothers. I would check to see what your insurance offers as options. Last time my insurance gave me an Ameda and my sister gave me her Medela. I definitely preferred the Medela but the Ameda was a good back up option and probably would have been just fine on it’s own. I nursed/pump at work for 11 months and had minimal supply issues with them. I only weaned for medical reasons. 

On our way to baby #2!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    EDD March 12, 2018

• Options
    Does anyone have any experience with having high lipase (I think that's what it called) and managing to pump and freeze milk? DS wouldn't drink my frozen milk so we didn't have the option of pumping and I breastfed exclusively. I assumed it's because of the lipase (?) Will this for sure happen again this time around or could my milk change? Any experience with what worked for you?
  • Options
    I had the Medela PISA with my first and it did the job fine. I used the Spectra double a few times and loved it so much more than my Medela. It’s a closed system pump like hospital grade. It has a gentler suction, more like suckling than pulling 
  • Options
    Also, if your insurance will allow you to get your pump now it may be a good idea to do so. I did *just in case* guidelines change 
  • Options
    I exclusively pumped with my first (he didn't transfer milk while nursing and then developed strong nipple preference to the bottle). Basically, ready to answer plenty of questions about pumping.

@k318 based on the law, you should be able to get a pump for free through insurance. If all else fails, for a recommendation, I personally haven't tried the Spectra, but have heard very good things about it. I think I'm going to get it for this time around.

@justkeeptrying no personal experience with high lipase, but I was part of an exclusively pumping group where there were several members who had the issue. The #1 sign that it's the issue is your defrosted milk smells like soap. A lot of babies still take the milk, so just because your first didn't your 2nd might. But, in order to prevent it you can scald your milk before freezing. https://www.sdbfc.com/blog/2012/9/4/battling-and-resolving-excess-lipase-in-breastmilk.html gives instructions on how to do that (and more background on high lipase in general).

DS:
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnant with #2: 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @justkeeptrying I was very active in 2 breastfeeding groups. The lipase thing (or other things) tend to be baby specific bc breastmilk is so highly specified for baby rather than mama dependent. 

Ironically, the babies that need the lipase may also want it straight from the tap rather than from the bottle, but if that happens again, La Leche League has amazing help on getting a baby to drink from a bottle, regardless. 
  • Options
    Also, if your insurance will allow you to get your pump now it may be a good idea to do so. I did *just in case* guidelines change 
    This is a great point. The law was brand new when I had my first and they would only deliver it to the hospital after birth. I think more insurance plans allow you to get them early now. I’ll check on this. Like you said, just in case! 

On our way to baby #2!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    EDD March 12, 2018

• Options
    I used a Medela Pump in Style for my first one and got a second new pump through insurance at my renewal (January) so I grabbed it in case things changed and it was great to keep one at work and one at home to not have to lug it back and forth! I highly recommend a car adaptor and pumping on the way into work/home/anywhere really! For this I used the Udder Cover in the car (just because I wanted a little privacy at stop lights but that is all preference). I definitely was worth it! and Udder cover is 100% my favorite cover!! it has this little thing at the top that keeps the top open so you can easily see baby to adjust latching and baby can see you which I love IF I have to cover or feel I need to. (I got this for free just shipping - if you go to destination maternity/motherhood maternity stores and get the new mom free coupon bag if you buy something there there is one in there for Udder covers - $35 gift card.
    Question I have:  When I was pumping for my DS I read an article about these quiet and I mean SILENT pumps that were discreet.... has anyone heard of these or know the name? I cannot for the life of me find it! I love the Medela and I will second @barrelocarol on the freemies!! I grabbed the freemie cups and the adapter lines for Medela and used these on the train countless times for work! The only thing I hated was the noise my Medela makes :( So I was hoping this time around I could find a quieter or silent pump for the travel times... any suggestions on a quiet pump or the silent one would be welcomed :) 
  • Options
    @justkeeptrying @syssa-o @kalawa @mountain_girl

so do any of you Canadian moms know how this works here? do I just buy a breast pump? I noticed many of the US moms are mentionning that their insurance providers covered some of the costs. 

Also- just wondering in general... how does on be go about choosing a breast pump. there appear to be so many options on the market but since you obviously can't test them out - hippie do you know which one will be right for you?
  • Options
    I just called my insurance company and a manual pump is 100% covered so I will get one of those for the car! And an electronic one is covered at 100% after I've hit my deductible.. which should be no problem. I'm already almost there anyhow. But the baby is due in February and I will hit it again so I plan to get an electric one after that as well! That made my day for real. Those things are so darn expensive!
  • Options
    npkat said:
    For those that have Cigna... I was just told breast pumps are covered 100% if you order through CareCentrix. They said they will give you options of different brands. You must be 28 weeks to order and you can get one with each pregnancy. Here is the number to call once your 28 weeks... 1-877-466-0164. Hope this helps!
    I was told the exact same thing from Cigna, and signed up for their healthy babies program as well. 

I got the Medela PISA with my DD, and it was ok. This time I'm ordering the Spectra and hoping I get more milk from pumping. I still have the Medela as a back up, but it feels like the motor doesn't work as well anymore. 
  • Options
    @Cowboycorgi what is the healthy babies program??
  • Options
    CowboycorgiCowboycorgi member
    edited October 2017
    @npkat It is a program where they send you info on health during and after pregnancy. They require a phone survey each trimester and once after baby is born, but they send you a check for $150 once it is completed! 
    The phone calls only take 5mins, so it is easy money! 
  • Options
    The healthy babies program certainly varies based on your company's plan. With mine, they call me each month to ask questions about my current weight, health, etc and allow me to ask any questions I may have. They send a bunch of booklets in the mail, and if I keep up with all of the phone calls I will get $400 in my health reimbursement account after my baby is born.
  • Options
    @barrelocarol and @day38, thank you! That's encouraging to hear that it could be baby specific!

@bb3vj3n, check if you have private insurance through work! We have Manitoba Blue Cross and they covered the cost (up to I think $500) with a prescription from a doctor. I got DS's Pediatrician to write one after I found this out. We bought the pump and then they reimbursed us. They initially said they'd cover 80% but then ended up covering 100%. A lot of our private insurances don't publicize that they cover it, so I would suggest just calling to ask!! 
  • Options
    stardustskiesstardustskies member
    edited October 2017
    If you go to Aeroflow's website, you can fill out their form with your name, due date, and insurance info and they will contact your insurance company for you and do all the hard work. It's free and they will send the pump of your choice right to your door. You can upgrade to other models for an upgrade fee. My cousin recommended the Spectra to me and I read so many reviews on so many pumps and decided to go with the Spectra S2. If you plan on pumping a lot away from home, get the Spectra S3 which has a rechargeable battery. I'm really confident with my choice and can't wait to try it. My insurance company won't let them send it to me until the baby is born but most insurance companies let them send it 30 days prior to due date. 
  • Options
    What would y’all recommend between a Spectra, Medela, and Lansinoh brand? It looks like I have a decent amount of options through insurance and have NO idea what to choose. I like that the Lansinoh tracks how much you’ve pumped through an app. And obviously the closed system of Spectra is great. (Although my insurance only covers the S9 and S2 fully.) Anyway, any advice would be appreciated!!
  • Options
    @sarahhedger7 - do you have a link to that form??
  • Options
    @justkeeptrying
    so I just called them - no luck. not covered
  • Options
    @justkeeptrying - which brand did you guys go with? Did they give you options to choose from or if it's 100% covered, is it only certain brands?
  • Options
    bb3vj3n said:
    @justkeeptrying
    Originally with my son, the insurance approved a junk model but my doctor wrote the insurance copy and they covered the PISA.  
  • Options
    @stlbuckeye132 - thank you so much!
  • Options
    barrelocarolbarrelocarol member
    edited October 2017
    bb3vj3n said:

Also- just wondering in general... how does on be go about choosing a breast pump. there appear to be so many options on the market but since you obviously can't test them out - hippie do you know which one will be right for you?
    I felt so overwhelmed with this question when I was ordering mine. Eventually, I found that most of the well known "good" pumps have their moms saying only positive things. 

I think you won't find you made a "bad" choice mainly bc pumping just plain sucks no matter what. A lot of hospitals in my area use Medela hospital pump and if worse comes to worse, you could rent a hospital pump for awhile till you get the hang of it all. 

Bottom line: Im trying to reassure you that for the most part, you might be ok with one of the generally well known and well liked pumps bc very few women have tried more than one. 

Edited to add: Medela has AMAZING customer service. They have overnighted me a few pieces that weren't working, on more than one occasion. They gave me wonderful advice on how to pump efficiently and I was so impressed. 
  • Options
    What would y’all recommend between a Spectra, Medela, and Lansinoh brand? It looks like I have a decent amount of options through insurance and have NO idea what to choose. I like that the Lansinoh tracks how much you’ve pumped through an app. And obviously the closed system of Spectra is great. (Although my insurance only covers the S9 and S2 fully.) Anyway, any advice would be appreciated!!
    Medela Pump in Style is by far the most popular/widely covered pump by insurance. I had one with my first (and still have it) and my best friend used it to exclusively pump with twins. It does the job, the parts are easy to get since it's widely used, but it's loud and the suction is strong. 

I've heard really good things about the Spectra so I'll be trying to get that one this time around. It's supposed to be much quieter and more gentle than the PISA. I want the S1 because of the rechargeable battery - being able to pump while on the go (in the car, traveling, etc) gives a lot more freedom. I personally feel good paying the extra amount over the insurance coverage for it. The S2 is identical, but doesn't have a battery. I don't know anything about the S9 aside from the fact that it's portable. If it's anything like Medela's portable model (Freestyle), I'd avoid it. The Medela Freestyle doesn't have strong suction (because it's not as powerful) and is known to cause clogs which can lead to mastitis. I can safely say you do not want either (I've had both). So, I'd research the suction/strength of the S9 before going that route. It could be great as a back up but if it's weaker, I wouldn't use it as a primary pump.

I know basically nothing about the Lansinoh pump. It's not one of the popular models so there's not much info out there about it. 

This website provides reviews/rankings and has all the pumps you mentioned on it (except the S9): https://maternityathome.com/best-breast-pump/ It could be worth taking a look. I've never used that site, just did a quick google search.

DS:
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnant with #2: 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    bb3vj3n said:
    @justkeeptrying
    Ask if it is covered with a prescription by your dr. My medela was covered by insurance, but my dr had to write a prescription for it and it was processed as a piece of medical equipment. I didn’t get it until after my son was born
  • Options
    @ksmwalters You should read the reviews on all of them, but I eventually chose the Spectra S2. I'll be doing most of my pumping at home so I don't necessarily need the portability of the S1. That's the only difference between the two- the rechargeable battery. The Spectra is supposed to have a much gentler suction and a "letdown" setting. I was planning on using the Avent bottles eventually and the bottles are said to fit well on the pump so that's an added benefit for me.
  • Options
    https://aeroflowbreastpumps.com/qualify-through-insurance

It took about 5 days for them to get back to me after filling out the form.

@crossfitbabybump
  • Options
    Thank you all for the advice and tips on this thread!

i called my insurance and a pump is covered at 100% as long as I order from one of their vendors within 30 days of my due date- and the medela pump that I wanted is on the covered list so I am happy.
    Last time around the pumps being covered under ACA was just being implemented, took a very long time (they finally called to send it to me 4 months after giving birth!) and the choices weren’t very great. I see so much improvement in the last 5 years.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @barrelocarol @ABombard12 Is it inappropriate to ask what your normal cup size is?  I'm interested in the Freemies, but have heard they don't work as well if you're more well endowed.

I used the Spectra S2 and really liked it, though I don't have anything to compare it to.  I'm torn between getting another (or upgrading to an S1) this time around because it is what I know, or trying out a different kind.  I never was able to get my production up to pump extra milk, but I think this is more because DD had low transfer at the beginning.  What sold me vs Medela was that the Spectra is a closed system - no milk gets into the tubing or into the machine.  I also liked that it was supposed the be more gentle and have more settings.

If you have extra Medela parts (I got some during my lactation consults) you can use these to connect the pump kit to the Spectra.

If you are going to pump at work and commute, definitely pump in the car (with you there @ABombard12)!  I had a car adapter, set up my flanges (simple wishes hands free pumping bra ftw!) in the house, and then hooked myself up and went!  Saved a lot of time.  And make sure to have extra parts in your pump.  Do a trial run first though!  ;)

PSA for the Simple Wishes Pumping Bra - Simple Wishes has a 1" panel you can order to put in the middle to help with nipple alignment if the regular one seems too narrow.

Also, anybody seen this?
    https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-ultimate-breast-milk-pumping-device-anabella-baby#/
    I'm soooo intrigued, but it isn't out until June...  :/
    Me: 30 H: 30
    Dx: PCOS
    Married: June 2013
    TTC#1: January 2015
    BFP #1 8/24/15 | MC 9/3/15 at 6w2d
    BFP #2: 12/12/15 | DD born 8/29/16
    TTC#2: June 2017
    BFP #3: 7/15/17 | DS born 3/20/18
  • Options
    @becausescience Not inappropriate! I'm a ridiculous size A nonsense. But, the woman who introduced me to Freemies was insanely big boobed. Insanely. She actually wondered if I would be able to use the Freemies easily bc she said she was so happy with how they worked for her. 

That being said, with the way they sit on the nipple, I don't see how size makes a huge difference since they aren't like the cones. Even poor placement or the wrong size still works with no pain, blisters or blebs...Which is the opposite of what I experienced with those awful horns. 
  • Options
    @becausescience did you find the car adapter for your Spectra pump provided the same strength and suction as just plugging it in? That was my biggest frustration with the Medela Pump In Style - the pump was not effective for me when plugged into the car adapter, and the battery pack took 8 batteries at a time!! I pumped 3+ times a day for a year last time and plan to do the same this time... that led to lots of car pumping!
  • Options
    @becausescience did you find the car adapter for your Spectra pump provided the same strength and suction as just plugging it in? That was my biggest frustration with the Medela Pump In Style - the pump was not effective for me when plugged into the car adapter, and the battery pack took 8 batteries at a time!! I pumped 3+ times a day for a year last time and plan to do the same this time... that led to lots of car pumping!
    I pumped on my way home and twice at work w/PISA and I had to turn up the strength when on the car adapter compared to the wall adapter.