Saylor for a girl? — The Bump
Baby Names

Saylor for a girl?

Is it too out there? Is it better spelled Saylor or Sailor? Would dad's name being Taylor be much too weird? 

Re: Saylor for a girl?

• Yuck in general. 

Add in Dad taylor and the association on the Palin's and Kristen C it's run away as fast as possible 

antotoKaLikeAWind
  • Loading the player...
  • @Bringmemylongswordho I've never seen this cartoon! 
  • It's not too out there, it seems trendy to me. But it's definitely weird w Dad named Taylor.
    DD: Ophelia 5/18/15
  • Our neighbor is Sailor , a girl age 10. She seems to be out-growing that name (sad to say), it now seems awkward on her. 
  • stumpty said:
    @Bringmemylongswordho I've never seen this cartoon! 
    It's big in nerd circles, it's one of the most well known animes.

But snark aside, Sailor/Saylor comes across as a bit trashy to me. 
    antotoKaLikeAWind
  • Also going to vote no, especially with dad being Taylor 
  • Too trendy for my taste and very strange with dad Taylor.  You might like:

Harper
    Piper
    Summer
    even naming her Taylor after dad?
    holli0801lesliegolem
  • I also thought of the cartoon. It would be a no to me based on the dad's name alone. It sounds like a child's name and won't age well. 

What about Sawyer? 
  • I like Sailor for a 5 year old only
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since September 2012
    lesliegolem
  • Strongly dislike Sailor and I agree it's too much with Taylor.

• It's definitely a name she will outgrow. And it's waaaaayyyy too much with dad being named Taylor. Back to the drawing board.
  • I definitely wouldn't use it if Dad is named Taylor. And it's spelled Sailor. 
    antoto
  • You are all expressing every thought I've had as to why NOT to name her that. 2 year old brother is Finnley. We call him Finn. I thought it might be cute but all the reasons not to are outweighing it. DH thinks we should just go with Emma and while it's very cute and I don't think she would outgrow it it's just kinda basic. Dad's middle name is Ryan and we thought about using that but I can't bring myself to do that to her. I think as it sits her name is Emma Ryan, unless I can come up with something better. 
  • I mean, there's thousands of names between Saylor and Emma. Have you tried printing out the top 1000? There's surely a few other names you'll both like. 

But Emma Ryan is a nice name if not.
    bbiutmcphJMU_Bride09antotomeg2704
  • Agree with PP about the Sailor Moon reference and trendiness.  It also screams last name to me and seems too masculine for a girl.  Emma Ryan is quite nice.  Other ideas for you:

Anabel
    Ava
    Charlotte 
    Delaney
    Ella
    Frances 
    Grace
    Jane
    Kasey
    Kendall
    Kerry
    Megan
    Morgan 
    Olivia
    Reese
    Sarah
    Shannon

• I don't think Sailor Moon is a relevant refeeence at all so I wouldn't worry about that. It's trendy for sure but if you like that it has a pretty sound and is wayyy better and more refreshing than harper or Harlow etc. I won't recommend more traditional names because that's obviously not our style:) I wouldn't really bat an eye at this name personally. You might also like Sawyer, Piper, Macy?
    lesliegolem
  • I really like the idea of using her Dad's name as the mn Since Emma is #1 in popularity now, how about:

Eliza Ryan
    Lucy Ryan
    Ella Ryan
    Camilla Ryan
    Isabel Ryan
    Shelby Ryan
    Taylor Ryan
    Peyton Ryan

lesliegolem
  • I'm glad you're considering other names - I would take a hard pass on "Saylor".  I don't even like the name Sailor so an incorrectly spelled version of it is just worse.  There are TONS of super cool, uncommon names out there that are both real names as well as spelled correctly!  

Ada
    Ayla
    Luna
    Astrid
    Hazel
    Sienna
    Paige
    Eliza
    Cecilia
    Iris
    Josie
    Gemma
    Me:29  DH:33
    Married: 3/1/14
    TTC #1: 4/16
    Dx PCOS (Non IR) 10/16
    5mg Femara + Ovidrel + IUI + Progesterone: 11/16 = BFN
    5mg Femara + 75 IU Gonal-F + Ovidrel + IUI + Progesterone: 12/16 = BFN
    5mg Femara + 150 IU Gonal-F + Ovidrel +IUI +Progesterone: 1/17 = BFN
    Preparing for IVF - Birth Control: 4/17 Stims: 5/17 
    IVF retrieval 6/17: 21 eggs retrieved, 20 mature.  17 fertilized with ICSI.
    7 blasts biopsied for PGS.  6 Healthy Embryos frozen for FET.
    FET of 1 embryo 7/12
    BFP on 7/17/17 Beta #1 10dpt = 524 Beta #2 12dpt = 1432 US at 5+5 shows healthy baby with heartbeat. Baby girl due 3/30/18 

• Nope nope nope nope... and definitely no with a dad named Taylor

Me: 29 / Hubster: 31
    Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Anything else either of you like besides Sailor or Emma to go off? Those are very different ends of the spectrum- what is it you like about each one?

I love the suggestions of Piper and Sawyer instead. 

some thoughts that would work with Ryan:
    Elsa
    Aster
    Esther
    Ava
    Audrey
    Stella
    Anna
    Emily
    Olivia
    Waiting for #3!

BabyFruit Ticker