June 2018 Moms

Anyone else in here have to get Heparin shots bc of a previous stroke or other reasons?

Hi! So long story short, I had a stroke when I was 28 years old, and I have to get Heparin injections every day throughout my pregnancy, and for six weeks after as a preventative measure. I have a horrible fear of needles, so my husband will have to do it for me. Anyone else in the same boat of having to get these shots and can commiserate with me? Also, does anyone know if you can get lidocaine cream or something for me to put on the injection site before my husband pokes me? TIA! 
Me: 32 with PCOS and stroke survivor
Husband: 32
Married: Oct. 2013
TTC: 2.5 years for baby #1
BFP: Friday, September 29, 2017 (The day after my 32 birthday!!!!!)
BabyFruit Ticker
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Anyone else in here have to get Heparin shots bc of a previous stroke or other reasons?

• I do, I used both Lovenox and Heparin during my first pregnancy! I have Factor V, a blood clotting disorder. 
    It’s really not too bad. I found that if I pinched my fat and injected quickly, then put some pressure on the injection site, it was quick and *almost* painless. 
    I feel pretty lucky because my OB has the same thing, so she has to do the same thing with all of her pregnancies. It’s nice to commiserate with someone lol. 
  • abskidabskid member
    edited October 2017
    @napqueen, good to know! Thank you so much. This is very reassuring. Good luck to you and its definitely nice to commiserate!! I was so scared when they told me I'd have to do this, as I had never preciously heard of anyone else having to do it before. 
    Me: 32 with PCOS and stroke survivor
    Husband: 32
    Married: Oct. 2013
    TTC: 2.5 years for baby #1
    BFP: Friday, September 29, 2017 (The day after my 32 birthday!!!!!)
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker