September 2017 Moms
Options

Breastfeeding Support

Re: Breastfeeding Support

• Options
    I also have a sleepy nurser, when she is full there is absolutely no waking her. I can be holding her upright and burping her and she will still stay fast asleep! She only feeds for about 10 minutes at a time from one side before she's asleep and there's no way she would take the other breast once she's done. If she falls asleep mid feed then massaging some milk into her mouth is normally enough to get her going again, or (really gently) pulling her away from my breast slightly. If she is done she'll come away easily but if she's just being lazy then she'll stay latched on and start sucking again. The midwives are happy with her weight gain at the moment and she's going through plenty of nappies so I'm taking advantage of the fact I can put her straight down after a feed without any other settling! 

@Turtle15SW Are there concerns over your LO's weight gain or number of wet nappies? If not you may be ok to just go with it
  • Options
    How much spit up is too much???  About 80% of the feedings end up with her spitting up and becoming fussy. First we thought it was gas due to dairy but now I think it might be caused by my flow overwhelming her. Sometimes she will go almost 4 hours without waking so then I become very engorged and can tell it sometimes it is a bit much too fast. I don't want to pump because I want my milk to get on her schedule instead of producing more and more when she's not feeding. Does that make sense?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    lilpootslilpoots member
    edited October 2017
    @JustBored10 can you hand express to get rid of the let down before nursing? Keep in mind your breasts are going to continue to increase milk production for at least the first 6 weeks, if not longer as baby's demand increases. 
  • Options
    So should I just leave it as is then because she will eventually need the milk? I haven't hand expressed but it's worth a shot. I did not nurse my son so this is all new to me. 
  • Options
    So should I just leave it as is then because she will eventually need the milk? I haven't hand expressed but it's worth a shot. I did not nurse my son so this is all new to me. 
    You should do what you need to make both you and baby comfortable, but I wouldn't worry too much about getting on her schedule, because it will change a lot. I am not an expert, but kellymom is. Hand expression is less stimulating than pumping, so if you're concerned about oversupply, that would be my suggestion. 

https://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/

https://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/engorgement/

• Options
    @Turtle15SW my little one also nurses for about ten minutes on one side. She generally either falls asleep or loses interest after that 
  • Options
    How much spit up is too much???  About 80% of the feedings end up with her spitting up and becoming fussy. First we thought it was gas due to dairy but now I think it might be caused by my flow overwhelming her. Sometimes she will go almost 4 hours without waking so then I become very engorged and can tell it sometimes it is a bit much too fast. I don't want to pump because I want my milk to get on her schedule instead of producing more and more when she's not feeding. Does that make sense?
    My baby spits up A TON--Like had to change my shirt, bra, and his shirt last night from it all
    over us. I talked to my ped about it at his last visit and he thinks it's from my supply also. He said if it gets worse or there are signs of something else going on to let him know. he suggested I feed from one side each time and not worry if he doesn't take from the other side. I haven't felt engorged in a while but I would think hand expressing to get comfortable is ok. 
  • Options
    For people with oversupply, have you tried block feeding? It is working wonders for me. You just feed from one breast per session and do the same one for 2 sessions in a row (so L, L then R, R) it will help regulate your supply.
  • Options
    @JustBored10 I was having similar issues with fast letdown and my little guy getting too much too fast and then spitting up or getting fussy. I got a hand pump and when it has been longer between feedings (3-4 hrs) I pump a little from each breast before I feed him. Once I get the milk to flow I do 15-20 pumps per breast. This has worked really well to make him less fussy at feedings. I like using the hand pump more than hand expressing because I can save the milk.
  • Options
    @Rhubarb7216 you can save milk if you hand express, it just takes practice. 
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! She slept almost 6 hours straight last night. I ended up leaving her on one boob. Initially it was too fast for her because she almost immediately spit up everywhere. We cleaned her up and put her back on the same boob which had gotten slower and she nursed for a bit without a problem and fell back asleep. I'm going to look up some videos on hand expressing today. 
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! She slept almost 6 hours straight last night. I ended up leaving her on one boob. Initially it was too fast for her because she almost immediately spit up everywhere. We cleaned her up and put her back on the same boob which had gotten slower and she nursed for a bit without a problem and fell back asleep. I'm going to look up some videos on hand expressing today. 
    6 hours! I’m so jealous. At 7 weeks my little guy won’t sleep more than 3.5.
  • Options
    @JustBored10, that's great. I'm so looking forward to a 6 hour stretch.
  • Options
    After a full day of almost no naps the 6 hour stretch was nice. Big brother was a terror and kept her up most of the day. 
  • Options
    So Elliot has gained a little over two pounds since birth. Today was her one month appointment and doctor seemed happy with her gain. What has everyone else gained in a month? I'm not sure what is normal for a breast fed baby. 
  • Options
    So Elliot has gained a little over two pounds since birth. Today was her one month appointment and doctor seemed happy with her gain. What has everyone else gained in a month? I'm not sure what is normal for a breast fed baby. 
    https://kellymom.com/bf/normal/weight-gain/

My babe has been following his curve at 50%
  • Options
    My little one will be three weeks on Saturday and has gained a pound and a half so far.But, I'm not sure what the norm isfor breastfed babies.
  • Options
    My little one will be three weeks on Saturday and has gained a pound and a half so far.But, I'm not sure what the norm isfor breastfed babies.
     Sounds like great weight gain
  • Options
    JNR6510JNR6510 member
    edited October 2017
    @JustBored10 My munchkin doubled her birth weight by six weeks (gaining nearly a pound a week) on breastmilk.
  • Options
    All 3 of my kids have been breastfed And all 3 have gained at different paces but their peditricians have never been concerned because they were growing. 
  • Options
    Ugh. Last night I developed the worst clog. I just finished antibiotics for mastitis a few days ago and I don’t think it has come back because I don’t have the flu like symptoms, but the pain is worse than when I did have mastitis. Trying to work it out but damn it hurts.
  • Options
    Ugh. Last night I developed the worst clog. I just finished antibiotics for mastitis a few days ago and I don’t think it has come back because I don’t have the flu like symptoms, but the pain is worse than when I did have mastitis. Trying to work it out but damn it hurts.
    That sounds awful :( Are you taking lecithin?

Me: 27 years old            DH: 27 years old
    Type 1 Diabetes since 2001, MTHFR hetero A1298T
    Dogs: Raider 4 yrs, Dex 4 yrs
    Married in July 2014
    TTC #1 since late Feb 2016
    BFP #1 3/29/16     MMC: 5/5/16
    BFP #2 7/6/16    SCH, D&C 8/4/16
    BFP #3 12/26/16     EDD: 9/6/17
    My Chart / My Diabetes/Pregnancy Blog
    My Type 1/TTC/Pregnancy Podcast: 
    Juicebox Podcast Episode 118
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • Options
    @Sugargirl1019 yes I started taking it last week. Recommend dose is 3-4 pills per day and I’ve been taking 3, but I upped it to 4 yesterday. I think I’m super prone to clogs, but I’ve also been doing a lot of long walks this week and I think my ducts can’t tolerate a tight sports bra.
  • Options
    Mine gained almost 2 pounds (almost 10 pounds) in 17 days lol. He's in 3 month clothes and he'll be 1 month tomorrow. 
  • Options
    @JustBored10. That is awesome! Lucy's first week home she slept in one hour stretches at night. Now she will occasionally give me a 3 hour stretch. So I'm hopeful that there is progress and that we will eventually be where you are. Is she awake for long periods during the day? 
  • Options
    @coastalmomma-2 yes and no. Today has been a good napping day for her as well. Maybe she is coming out of a growth spurt because she seems to be calmer as well. This is also day 4 of no dairy for me. 
  • Options
    It's typical for bf babies to eat every 1-3 hours, even through the night for quite some time.
  • Options
    @JustBored10 I am also doing no dairy. I’ve been doing it for about a month and it stinks but it definitely helps my little guy. I’ve heard it takes up to 2 weeks to get out of your system and then time to get out of the baby’s system, so it can take awhile to see if there is a difference.
  • Options
    I’ve been a little worried that LO wasn’t getting enough to eat because of how frequently she’s looking to nurse and still acting hungry after emptying both sides, but we took her to the pediatrician today and she’s gained a pound in 1 week. Back up to birth weight + 6 oz at 11 days old. I’m feeling so much better about the amount that she’s getting, and the dr even told us to try and push a little more time between feedings so mama can get a little more sleep  :)
  • Options
    @hmclaren that is awesome!!! It sounds like everything is going really well for you two. We got some similar good news today--LO is 20 days old and although he just passed his birth weight, he's gained almost 7 oz in 5 days now that I'm offering some pumped milk in addition to his regular nursing sessions. 

How are everyone's babies doing??
  • Options
    Glad to hear that babies are doing well! My girl is gaining weight quickly and we adore her new neck and leg rolls.DH is going back to work tomorrow, so breastfeeding may get a little more complicated trying to keep my 3 year old entertained and nursing simultaneously. I have been practicing nursing in a ring sling, but it still feels a bit awkward. 
  • Options
    My little guy is 8 weeks old and will be 2 months on Thursday. He’s nursing well and so far he has been gaining weight really well. He has his 2 month appt on Friday, so we’ll find out his latest stats then, but based on his cheeks and belly, he’s gaining weight just fine. :)
  • Options
  • Options
    Has anyone tried this Lactation massager? https://lactationmassager.com/products/lactation-massager

never heard of this before
  • Options
    I have heard about the trick of wearing a tank top under a shirt and pulling it down under your boob while you are breastfeeding to cover your stomach while you are breast feeding in public. I didn't do this last time because it was summer and I didn't want to wear extra clothes. But since it will be winter this time around, it seems like a good thing to try.

Does anybody have any recommendations on cheap tank tops to wear for this purpose? I mean, they will basically be used as undershirts and will also be getting all stretched out from pulling them down, so I certainly don't want to spend a lot of money on them. I'm hoping to find something more like underwear type undershirts in a multi-pack. I looked at Sams and Walmart and didn't see quite what I was looking for.  I haven't looked around too much online yet, but hoping someone has found something they love that they can share with the group.  Thanks ladies!!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    hatrats said:
    I have heard about the trick of wearing a tank top under a shirt and pulling it down under your boob while you are breastfeeding to cover your stomach while you are breast feeding in public. I didn't do this last time because it was summer and I didn't want to wear extra clothes. But since it will be winter this time around, it seems like a good thing to try.

Does anybody have any recommendations on cheap tank tops to wear for this purpose? I mean, they will basically be used as undershirts and will also be getting all stretched out from pulling them down, so I certainly don't want to spend a lot of money on them. I'm hoping to find something more like underwear type undershirts in a multi-pack. I looked at Sams and Walmart and didn't see quite what I was looking for.  I haven't looked around too much online yet, but hoping someone has found something they love that they can share with the group.  Thanks ladies!!
    Target merona brand--my favorite 
  • Options
    @hatrats That's exactly what nursing tank tops are for, unless I'm misunderstanding? I wear a shirt over my nursing tank so my belly is covered but I can clip the boob part down and still have my top shirt covering up top.

Me: 27 years old            DH: 27 years old
    Type 1 Diabetes since 2001, MTHFR hetero A1298T
    Dogs: Raider 4 yrs, Dex 4 yrs
    Married in July 2014
    TTC #1 since late Feb 2016
    BFP #1 3/29/16     MMC: 5/5/16
    BFP #2 7/6/16    SCH, D&C 8/4/16
    BFP #3 12/26/16     EDD: 9/6/17
    My Chart / My Diabetes/Pregnancy Blog
    My Type 1/TTC/Pregnancy Podcast: 
    Juicebox Podcast Episode 118
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • Options
    @hatrats That's exactly what nursing tank tops are for, unless I'm misunderstanding? I wear a shirt over my nursing tank so my belly is covered but I can clip the boob part down and still have my top shirt covering up top.
    I can't wear nursing tanks in public. I have to have a supportive bra, so I wear stretchy tanks. My nursing tanks are for home only!